2 – Breakfast and hope
51 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gathering all the strength I had left, I finally mustered the courage to have breakfast.

"Ho ho, look who finally showed up!"

Seated in the kitchen was my father, the territory's count. Unlike Kaiser, who boasted a lean and well-conditioned physique out of vanity, my father, Leon Von Jaker, was noticeably overweight, huffing with every word. If he weren't a noble, I doubt any red-light district woman would dare approach him...

In the end, I had to play the part of the pampered son.

"Good morning, Papa!" I said with a smile as I hurriedly took my seat.

The breakfast spread on the table was calorific, I mean, who eats cake for breakfast?

Thankfully, Kaiser, before my transmigration, had the habit of eating healthily. At least I have to give credit to the original owner of this body.

"Here's your master dish..."

The same maid who had summoned me earlier in my room handed me my plate – a simple breakfast with a well-prepared omelet and milk.

She still seemed concerned about how I treated her before, probably thinking I'm angry or something.

How should I react here? I mean, I'm not the world's best actor. How would a villain act in this situation?

Ah, who cares.

With an air of indifference, I began savoring my breakfast, ignoring the suspicious look from the maid. As I chewed on the omelet, my thoughts raced on how I would get stronger.

"Hey, Kaiser, what do you think of her, huh?" My father asked, looking at the maid.

I just turned my face, not understanding the question.

"Huh, you're telling me you didn't notice?! Look at that beauty. Ah, son, you missed out. I snagged her from one of the mines because I liked the look of fear. You spend so much time doing who knows what; you should have more interest in girls, my son."

My father then made me look at the maid. Her face and body weren't bad; it wasn't overly exaggerated. More on the cute side, with a bun in her slightly brown hair that accentuated her blue eyes. I just sighed, aware that this was another piece in the strange puzzle of my new life as Kaiser.

I let out a sarcastic laugh before responding, acting to fit the situation.

"Hm, Daddy, I appreciate your exotic choice of decoration for the house. Bringing a girl directly from the mines, what a peculiar touch! It must be tough resisting her charm; I'm sure it's a daily challenge for you."

My gaze wandered from the maid to my father, maintaining an expression of superiority while savoring the omelet.

"Sure, I'll appreciate how it is later... Can I borrow her now?" I said with a smile, licking my lips, adding a touch of arrogance to the response, as if playing with the idea of claiming what my father apparently values.

"Ho ho ho! Well, Kaiser, my son, I don't see why not! Who knows, maybe you can bring some excitement to her life, hm?" He chuckled, as if the idea was highly amusing.

I reciprocated with a mischievous smile, feigning interest in the absurd proposition. "Well, Daddy, maybe I'll surprise her with something new. After all, it's always good to spice up the routine, isn't it?"

My father nodded, still amused by the unlikely conversation. "You've always been a peculiar son, Kaiser. Maybe that's what attracts the girls, who knows?"

I let out a forced laugh, maintaining the performance. "Oh, of course, Daddy. I've always been known for my... eccentricity. It's good to see that you finally appreciate that aspect of me."

We continued the irreverent conversation, and deep down, I couldn't help but disdain the possibility of actually going along with what my father suggests.


After finishing my meal, I took my new maid to the back of the mansion, luckily facing a dense forest.

It's said that the Jaker territory has nothing special geographically; the protagonists only stop here because we're the gateway to the other side of the empire that faces the sea, where they wanted to spend their vacation.

"Um, sir, I know I don't have a choice, but doing this in the middle of the forest is kind of..."

While this girl is rambling on about who knows what, I contemplate my next steps.

"I don't think I asked, oh, what's your name?"

"It's Sofia! Use me with care... please," she says with a strange confidence, then lowers her head.

"Great, great, and what day and year is it today?"

Sofia has a question mark on her face before responding, "Huh, Aprilis 8, 229, right?"

If I remember correctly, Arthur arrives at the hero school in 231?

A wide smile appears on my face.

"HAHAHAHA."

"Sir, are you okay?! Do you want me to call a healer?"

This is perfect! If I recall, the protagonists spend a year training for the entrance exam before going to hero school.

"Okay, okay, that means we have some time before taking action."

I lightly pat my face to return to normal.

After the laughter echoed through the forest, I observed Sofia, still stunned, with a calculating look. The density of the forest in front of us offered a convenient shelter to discuss my plans without being overheard.

"Sir, are you sure we should do this here?" Sofia asked, clearly uncomfortable.

"Yes, to start, I want you to try to punch me."

"Huh?" Sofia looks at me with completely empty eyes.

 

4