43
76 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Guardians were a governmental agency with limited oversight. They work behind the scenes to protect the country from terrestrial and extraterrestrial threats. 

Eve had considerable power as a handler who guided the few active teams in the organisation. She had contacts in all governmental agencies across the country. It, combined with the authority that was transferred to her by the president and the prime minister, allowed her to contact other governmental bodies. Even if she couldn't directly mobilise them, she could ask them for help. 

That was precisely what Eve wanted to do the next day. 

"Ring. Ring." Suddenly, her phone rang. 

Eve quickly picked it up after identifying the caller. It was none other than one of her superiors. Even if it was night or day, she had to take his call. 

"I heard some unsavoury news." The moment the call was picked up, the person on the other side spoke. "I read your report. I didn't send you and team 2 to make it worse." He stated in a grim tone. 

"Sorry sir." 

"How long would it take you to solve this mess." 

Even before Eve could explain, the person assumed the problem was solvable by Eve and the other superhumans. From the beginning, he gave her no room for negotiation. 

Eve knew it was futile to ask this person for help. What her superiors wanted was quick results, nothing more. They didn't care about how or why the results were achieved. 

Still, she decided to ask once more, "Sir, We need more manpower to complete the mission. Can you send two more teams?" 

However, Eve's request was met with an eerie silence. The person on the other end didn't reply for a short while. 

"Slss. Tsss." Sounds of some clothes ruffling came from the phone.

"What did you say?" The person asked, totally unserious. 

"Sir, I was saying that we need more manpower to complete the mission. Or else, we might have to incur casualty among the public or even amongst ourselves." Eve stated. 

"Why do you superhumans need more manpower? I already sent team 2, didn't I? You don't know the trouble I had to go through to mobilise them to your area. They were supposed to be on a guarding mission in the capital, and yet, I mobilised them. Are you expecting me? to do something similar again?"

Her superior instantly rejected her suggestion to send a backup. 

Superhumans are a small group of people undertaking a wide array of responsibilities. Their tasks encompass safeguarding both the president and the prime minister, engaging in counter-terrorism and counterintelligence operations, and addressing matters pertaining to extraterrestrial activities.

Initially, only a select few within the nation were privy to the existence of the guardians. However, in a strategic move aimed at enhancing their influence and fostering improved working conditions, this classified information was subsequently disclosed to the higher echelons of the country.

That made it easier for those working in the guardians to access the governmental resources. But it also increased their workload in other domains not related to the aliens or extraterrestrial lives. 

Now, the existence of superhumans was becoming an open secret. And when the higher-ups realised that the aliens that occasionally visit Earth don't pose much threat, they began to direct the use of superhumans to other works. 

It was a careless and naive decision. 

It led to the current shortage of manpower when they are needed desperately. 

Eve knew about it all. That was why she was asking to prioritise the mission in Iritty. For that, she analysed the situation and submitted a detailed written report. And yet, her superior was talking to her as if he just glanced through it and ignored most. Or else, he would have known about the current dangerous situation. 

"Sir, Is there no other way?" Eve asked.

"No. My power is limited. You have to complete the mission with the people you have." He said in a commanding tone. "Can you do it?" He asked.

There was no option but to agree. Even if Eve disagreed, there was no one else who could help Iritty in this situation. 

"I will, Sir." 

"That's how you should answer." 

The superior only wanted a yes man that could give results. He didn't care about anything else. 

"In your report, I noticed a mention of recruiting that youngster into our organisation. Are you certain about this decision? Adhithyan represents a variable that could have been eliminated. Regardless of whether he possesses superhuman abilities or not, incorporating something uncontrollable into our organisation poses a significant risk."

"You don't have to worry about that, Sir. I will make good use of him."

"You are authorised to eliminate him if the need arises." 

"Yes, Sir." 

"If that is all…"

"No, Sir, I want to mobilise the National Security Guard(NSG) and personnel from the Health Ministry into Iritty." 

"Why do you need that?" 

"NSG can help us kill the mutant creatures. And the people from the health ministry are needed to control the coronavirus pandemic. Just today, I was informed about the first case of coronavirus in the region." 

"Ah… Do whatever you want. Other than superhumans, you can mobilise all units as you deem fit." 

"Thanks sir." 

The call ended shortly after that.

Finally, she got the green light to prepare for the plan. By using the fear of the pandemic, she could initiate a lockdown protocol in Iritty and silently eradicate the mutant creatures in the region.

She spent the hours after that trying to convince the people from the health ministry and NSG to work with her. And they finally agreed. 

Then, she went around visiting local politicians and health workers to convince them to initiate a lockdown in Iritty. She had already informed them earlier about the situation pertaining to coronavirus, and she expected a positive response. However, she came across an unexpected roadblock while doing so. 

The local politicians were vehemently against the idea of lockdown. They were recruiting the masses to reject her even when she said she was from the government. It was giving her a headache. 

However, Eve was not ready to surrender to their demands. The lives of many depended on her. 

6