CH: 18 – Ms. Dressup
144 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My first lesson in keeping a dog and a catgirl at the same time was that they probably needed some time to get to know each other. I learned this at the cost of moderate damage to my tables, cabinetry, and flooring as the two of them snarled, barked, clawed, and scratched their way around the place in a whirlwind of chaos.

Using dog treats, coercion, force, and whatever means necessary I finally managed to separate the two and get them to sit, peacefully, across from one another. I was breathless and rather scratched up at that point. Max was chewing on his treat and Frannie was enjoying a shiny hairpin that Leyanna had forgotten.

“Ok you two,” I said when I had regained my breath and some measure of calm, looking between them. “We are not doing this again.”

Max whined and looked up at me, waggling his eyebrows. Frannie meowed.

“Frannie,” I said, “I want to give Max a hug…” and Max, I wagged my finger at the retriever. “You be a good boy and let her, okay?”

I took his silence for agreement and Frannie, understanding the instructions, cautiously crawled over and hugged Max around his neck. For a second I expected another round of fighting but then I heard the rhythmic thump-thump of Max’s tail and knew he was enjoying it. Frannie nuzzled against his head and meowed happily.

I sighed, mentally exhausted. “Okay good. Now don’t forget this moment, because next time you both cause me that kind of chaos I’m going to kick both of you out for a week and enjoy my life as a single, petless, bachelor once again.”

Max whined and Frannie mewled, both looking up at me with wide eyes.

I was kidding. Mostly

***

Before I left with Frannie I made sure to deposit the morning loot into the chests. I was still procrastinating organizing so I dumped the gear into the chest that already had stuff in it and left the other new one empty.  I added 50 clotted dirt,  62 Fibrous plant materials, 10 summer seeds

[ CHEST 17/20

* Hoe (Rank 1)

* Scythe (Rank 1)

* Axe (Rank 1)

* Rusty Rod (Rank 1)

* Mining Pick (Rank 1)

* Watering Can

* Rusty Fishing Rod

* Fibrous plant materials (99 / 99)

* Driftwood (5)

* Seaweed (5)

* Pebbles (55)

* Chopped wood (75)

* Small Trout (4)

* Map of Halfmoon Hills

* Coal (4/99)

* Clotted Dirt (54/99)

* Stone (60/99)

* Summer seeds (10/99) ]

I withdrew the map of Halfmoon Hills and selected it.

[ Would you like to permanently equip: Map of Halfmoon Hills? ]

I agreed to equip it and it disappeared from my inventory. For a second I was worried I had deleted it permanently. Then I focused on the map and it appeared, overlaying across my vision. I dismissed it. Frannie pawed at my side, impatient.

“Hold on, just a minute. This is pretty cool,” I said, patting her head reassuringly.

I opened the map and checked the location of Leyanna’s stables. They were due south of the farm, a direction I’d never gone in up to this point. I led Frannie forward and the two of us headed towards the outskirts of my property.  Thankfully a makeshift beaten path led us through the detritus so I didn’t have to clear a way for us.

At the edge of the property line (I knew this by once again checking the map) there was a rather low fence and a gap in the center of it. I stepped through and exited my farm.

[ You have discovered: the Southern Forest ]

I opened the map to see that it had updated, where Leyanna’s stables had been surrounded by blackness before, the area around it was now populated with paths and tree icons and the scrawling words “Southern Forest”.

There were a few cool areas to check out later but for now, I headed down the path through the large trees that the map said would take us to Leyanna’s home. We turned a bend and it appeared before us. I whistled in appreciation, it was impressive.

It was a large red barn-like structure that stretched out far in the back, with a few attached older unpainted shacks and buildings. It was huge! Beside it was an open-air fenced area where I could see animals grazing. In front were horses, but behind I saw others as well. Frannie meowed excitedly and ran over to the fence, leaning on it and stretching out her neck to take a look at the horses.

I joined Frannie at the fence and we watched as the majestic beasts rested in the shade, occasionally whinnying and flipping their tails. They weren't moving much and actually seemed a little tired. Despite their inactivity, Frannie looked at me, her eyes full of wonder. I smiled. I was happy we were getting her out of her little bubble to experience the world. But I was also a little scared.

What would the world make of her?

“Well, good morning George. Are you coming inside? I see you brought a guest…” a familiar voice called from the door of the main building. I turned to see Leyanna in a much cuter version of my own overalls, a white crop top, and a straw hat. She ushered us in and I practically had to drag Frannie away from the horses and into the store.

I looked around as did Frannie. The interior of the large red building was huge, with a giant tiled roof above our heads. The back of it was walled off with a door leading to unknown depths. the front was filled with all sorts of animal-related supplies and odds and ends. Saddles, hay, riding gear, and many more items that I couldn’t possibly name

Leyanna undersold herself here. She is running a huge business!

“Just look but don’t touch okay?” I said to Frannie and she nodded vigorously and took off towards a shiny-looking pair of spurs. I did a silent prayer for her safety and mine. It was like having a kid. A fluffy, overgrown, but admittedly cute kid.

After wiping what appeared to be oil off her hands with a rag, Leyanna leaned over the counter, raised her eyebrows at me, and nodded at Frannie. “Okay Georgie, I told you I wasn’t the jealous type. But… this is a little quick. Who is the cute girl and… uh… why doesn’t she have any clothes? We are lucky I don’t have any customers in right now. You are fit to cause a scandal. Imagine Madame Pomme walked in right now?” she clucked her tongue. “You dog George!”

She didn’t seem upset, at most a little annoyed and at best kind of impressed. But either way, she had it all wrong. I corrected her as quickly as I could. I did a quick scan of the store to confirm there were indeed no customers or other employees and then leaned over the counter as well so that only Leyanna could hear. We were very close and I saw a faint blush on her freckled cheeks.

“She’s the one, from last night. The catgirl I told you about. I found out she’s been hiding on the farm. She had no clothes, so I gave her my shirt. I was hoping you could help me find her something else to wear. Poor thing has been on her own. Her name is, Frannie, by the way.”

I saw Leyanna’s face soften as she looked at the girls’ dirty appearance. “Aw Georgie, I had you wrong. You weren’t being a perv at all, you just took in a stray!” She gave my cheek a pinch and I winced.

She giggled.

“I’ll help you out, don’t worry. Hey Frannie!” she called out, and the catgirl turned.

Frannie’s ears twitched excitedly and the improved headscarf fell slowly to the floor. I heard Leyanna gasp. Next came the tail, wagging its way out of her shirt as she became more excited. Frannie meowed nervously and looked between us two.

I shrugged.

“The gig is up Frannie, come over here and meet my friend Leyanna.”

She plodded over cautiously, but Leyanna had a totally different reaction. She practically jumped over the counter to get a closer look at Frannie.

“Oh… my… freaking … God… she is… SO CUTE!”

Leyanna gave the catgirl a giant hug and Frannie’s eyes widened, then she hugged Leyanna back meowing happily.

“Georgie, you just leave her to me! Come back by the end of my shift, at 6:00 PM. I’ll have a chance by then to get her fully clothed.”

“Frannie you gonna be okay with this?” I asked

The catgirl nodded enthusiastically and I chuckled at the pair of them, already thick as thieves.

“Okay, you two be safe and discreet, alright?” I said as I began to head for the exit.

“We will!” Leyanna called back. Before the door closed behind me I heard hushed whispers and meows as the two began to conspire about the day to come.

Oh gosh, what did I just do putting these two girls together? Halfmoon Hills isn’t ready for this. I’m not sure I am either!

10