5: Caught between a Devilish Heroine and a Daughter of Heaven
350 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I'm still new to Scribble Hub so I'm trying out all the features and how I can use it to my advantage.

"Excuse me, Mr. Wolf", Shengai turned to the speaker, Xia Xiaochan.

Me and Shengai had passed the time overlooking the city. Maybe because she was a city girl, we occasionally talked about the life here, I only had the life of a bumpkin village boy, independent sect disciple, and a somewhat spoiled 21st century upbringing. I love the traditional sense of everyday life while also maintain a civilized society.

It cut out short as Xia Xiaochan's father, the Xia head, has come to take his daughter home, "Xiaochan? This proxy of the Midnight God greet the Xia Head.", I'm realizing that my temporary personality shift may have been maintained by Shengai, for that I'm thankful since she I recovered immediately upon seeing the city light, it was completely calming.

"Greetings, Believer of Midnight. Thank you for saving my daughter. Since I now have an idea of what happened... Mr. Wolf, we are indebted of you.", Oh wow, I made a clan head do a gesture of greeting, even if it was mutual, that means we stand somewhat on an equal footing to one another.

"Do not worry, it was by God's grace that I've been sent to this city. 'He' will not treat you badly, in fact, merely knowing that it was of his greatness is a miracle in of itself.", I smile politely.

"E-erm, Mr. Wolf..."

"Xiaochan, when I come next time, I'm sure you'll have matured greatly from my teachings. Are you considering to become Midnight's believer?", I stare at Xiaochan playfully.

"U-uh no... I don't think so?", Xia Xiaochan didn't know how to respond, surely she thinks good of me but there's no way she'd decide on worshipping some hidden entity

"Don't worry, once 'He' will reveal himself, you will see.", And that, I was confident in.

 


 

Through some backdoor, Shengai and I went out disguised. She had prepared a crane mask beforehand, it didn't protrude on the front but the design was artistic enough to depict the actual creature.

It is a beautiful asymmetrical design with a black and white aesthetic, I'm not even sure if the crane is black or white, maybe both?

Once again we passed through the market. I've discovered my love for fashion is trying turning into an addiction, but another set for me and Shengai ain't so bad...right?

I ended up buying 3 sets, I might not even wear this at the sect because of the regulation of sect uniforms...

In the first place, the reason why I can change clothes outside the sect is because I got a mission specifically from the Shadow Hall. As a member of the sect, I bear the pride of representing them on sect mission after all...

"It would be a shame to not see you in all those clothes...", Shengai commented on my array of choices. I wonder too since she's covered her eyes even till now, she probably could see me through other means.

"I can't wait to see try that on. You'll became the white moon itself."

"Thank you, you look like crimson rose petals rushing through the firefly fields of a nightly mystical forest.", Hm, I wonder what that means. But I'll take that compliment.

I smile to myself, I'm a rare one when it comes to the cultivation world. I somehow ended up becoming dark brown in skin color and had yellow eyes with black hair. I wouldn't say that I had yellow eyes in my past life but I do have similar traits with the body I have now.

Anyway, it was time to change identities. Rent a room in an inn, change clothes and sneak out back to the original inn. I could have chosen an isolated alley but I have a girl with me! No way I'm letting her do that out in the open!

Finally, we're back...I'm probably f*cked. Although Shengai covers herself with a plain white mask, I have no choice but to introduce her to Ruiyu Ai, and I don't want things to go awry.

I sigh, although white hair isn't the rarest, it's good that no one could the Shengai apart. As for me, I completely covered my body so it would be hard for people to tell me apart, not that its impossible, my chin, neck, and eyes were in the open to see but it was better than nothing.

I should act faster and consolidate enough sequences to change things about my identity or appearance, there are a few but the ones quickest... it's totally going to be the 'Faceless'.

That aside, "You've been waiting all night?", I look at Ruiyu Ai who scrutinized me and Shengai, mostly Shengai.

"I've cultivated all the recourses... so I decided to wait.", Understandable, demonic cultivation techniques are much quicker than orthodox, it wasn't a matter of talent but a matter of recourses.

"We'll go out tomorrow, back to the sect. While that happens we collect the beast's lifeblood.", Ai nods and asks, "Who is she?"

"Her name is Shengai", Shengai modestly greets Ai.

"You mean the unobtainable prostitute?", Ruiyu Ai blushes and changes her gaze between me and Shengai successively.

"Alright, hear me out", I wave my hand in the air to dispel her panic.

"W-what is she doing here?!"

"That's what I'm going to say, so, the reason she's here is that I'm bringing her to the sect.", I wave my hands around in frantic speed.

"Huh?", Ruiyu widened her eyes as if she heard an esoteric language.

"She's really talented in cultivation and wanted come with. Actually, there's a much larger story...", I laugh nervously.

I had to retell the convoluted story of me, Saint Sleepless, encountering my co-worker, Mr. Wolf, who arrived at Sky Fall City on a mission, apparently, he sent Shengai to be in my care as he has more important things to do.

At the same time, I give a more concrete idea on who is who in the 'organization' and what they're specifically in charge of.

"I see.", Ruiyu nods innocently, she must be protected at all costs... She didn't even ask further.

It's only natural since I'm a natural liar. It is what makes up my whole damned life...

...

Well enough of that, "I'm going to contact a few people, you girls can also get a night's rest too.", I go to the double bed, it would be embarrassing for Saint Sleepless to need sleep, so I'll just cover it up as me needing to contact others in my dreams, of course, I don't need to completely explain that, else I would look like I'm really lying.

Ruiyu Ai blurts, "Saint Yong?", Only when they truly ask...

"While I'm contacting the others, I'll be in the dream world, only wake me up in an emergency.", When they ask is when I do get to act like 'isn't it obvious? or it is natural and normal'

"N-no, I mean, Saint Yong, where can I sleep?", Now you're asking the real questions, Ai.

"Isn't it obvious? Both of you can sleep on the bed...ah! Forgive my rudeness, both of you can use the bed, I'll just buy another room.

Hm, but it would be bad to just leave the two of them alone since I'm responsible for them...then again, I should still give their personal space-"1 I have no idea if this displays big text or small text, it is intended to be small

I mutter the latter part but then I hear, "A-I don't mind..."

"Then excuse my rudeness", fuck yes, the double bed is mine! Double bed is superior! Why is this the only double bed in the inn?!

 


 

I only needed a few hours before I woke up to Shengai and Ruiyu Ai on both of my sides, I knew this was going to happen but hot damn. Hm?

Ruiyu Ai is sleeping so soundly with drool coming out of her mouth. She looks so vulnerable, so cute, ah, looking at her face, I want to poke her cheek, I wonder, is it soft or plump? She wore clothes that made her out to be a village girl, maybe I should buy something similar to blend in with locals...

Shengai on the other hand is smiling at me, devilishly in fact... The way she's laying down provocatively with that one piece night gown... was she trying to draw me in? Well, you have my full attention.

A philosophical question, Which one is the Devilish Heroine and which one is the Daughter of Heaven. I could have sworn they've switched bodies at birth...

"How are you doing? I'm sorry if the place isn't that well off. I should have rented other rooms in another inn.", It's not like I could have foreseen this event but nevertheless, I wanted to consider the boundaries.

"I feel comfortable. Looking at you is nice.", The silver-gold haired beauty smiles at me. When was it ever this easy to please someone?

"Then keep at it if you want, there's time before we start heading back. I wonder, other than the red between us, what is the reason we were fated? ", There had to be a reason why, so I curiously pose my question. I don't know why I'm nervous.

No, I knew.

I wanted to know if there was something about me to fall in love with.

Maybe I thought myself to be unworthy of love?

"Love...", Shengai stated it so plainly to me. I couldn't understand it at first.

"Huh?", My heart was tugged on its strings.

"You will love me. No one would try to love me...", Shengai's eyes (?) looks down on the bed sheets with a lost gaze perhaps.

"I see. That Xia... he should be a siscon, an incestuous monk. The other men are only after your body, perverts and debauched.", I had sat up with my back on the wall, looking up to the ceiling, I began imagining that, her situation.

Shengai worked in a brothel where relationships between men and women are commonplace with their twisted and dirty situations. With Ms. Dahlia watching out for her, she wasn't deceived and in fact learned and distinguished among the lustful scum and the idealized word called 'Love'.

For one to be surrounded so much with 'Lust', a person who discovered someone who can 'Love'... ah, that's romantic. Oh, wait, that person she discovered is me. I snap out of my thoughts.

I smirk as a light blush covered my cheeks, "Then I should show you all the 'Love' I have.", I pat Shengai on her cheek and let go, "Naturally, that wouldn't mean one night stands or sexual flings.", I chuckle as my brain stirred in both anticipation and embarrassment., "You're making me hope, Shengai, I'll bring you to a lot of places, we'll do a lot of things together, I'll have you eat my favorite food, yeah, definitely the last one."

Shengai looks at me, hopeful (?), something that I can find endearing.

Out of left lane, or at my left side, my arm was locked on. I look to the side to see a sleeping Ruiyu Ai who looked to have a pout on her beautiful face, is she really trying to put her mounds on my, too late, I can't pull out.

"*sigh*", I ask once again, who is the Devilish Heroine and who is the Daughter of Heaven?

"Sonnet 14 by Elizabeth Barrett Browning", true to my poetic air, I recall in , english words,

"If thou must love me, let it be for naught

Except for love's sake only. Do not say,

'I love her for her smile—her look—her way

Of speaking gently,—for a trick of thought

That falls in well with mine, and certes brought

A sense of pleasant ease on such a day'—

 

For these things in themselves, Beloved, may

Be changed, or change for thee,—and love, so wrought,

May be unwrought so. Neither love me for

Thine own dear pity's wiping my cheeks dry,—

A creature might forget to weep, who bore

Thy comfort long, and lose thy love thereby!

But love me for love's sake, that evermore

Thou mayst love on, through love's eternity."

Silence...

"Do you like poems?", I ask Shengai, she faces into my eyes, it is as if she were in a trance (?), hearing me speak, but she wouldn't be able to understand that english poem, that's impossible.

"Yes, I do."

"Would you like me to tell you all about them?", I open my palm towards her.

"Yes.", She accepted my hand.

"Do you want to make poems?", I caught onto her palm.

"Yes, I do.", She interlocked her fingers with mine.

"I understand.", I could feel the gentleness and warmth.

 


 

I hate that there are no nail cutters in this world. Good thing that cultivators become naturally better in hand eye coordination, making it possible to cut your nails with scissors or blades.

I cleaned myself up while Ruiyu Ai was in sleep, Shengai also opted to take a light nap so I had a few hours of time for myself. I cut my hair back to being short, combed in the unruly and wild hairstyle, and voila, I now look like a refined man. At least mirrors exist, I love keep my hygiene and image, it keeps people trust and gives good impressions, unlike some urban protagonists, yeah, I'm never reading those wuxia genres until some sensible main character comes out. Can you believe that some books like that exist here?! Ok, enough internal banter.

Time to plan for the near future to a far off vague trajectory.

I look at my status for now

[Darkness Pathway: Sleepless Lv.35/100

Nocturnality Lv.39/100

Night Vision Lv.19/100

Evening Spirituality Lv.21/100

Evernight Lv.37/100]

A steady pace. In just 3 days, this is what I achieved, as long as I keep on it for the next week, I won't be surprised to become the fastest to go from sequence 9 to sequence 8 without skipping. But its wrong to look it that way since Beyonders in LotM had to deal with stronger remnants of their sequences' Beyonder Characteristics.

The powers that I have right now come from the Original Creator, but I don't reside in his domain, or death bed. Rather, I think I'm in an entirely different reality. Why do I think so? It's because I'm currently aware of Outer Gods, at least those in LotM.

I'm not sure whether there are 'Outer Gods' in the cultivation world, and that is the only thing keeping me from being destroyed by any higher being that exists here. It's the same principle as Cognitohazards, as long as I don't stare at the Abyss, it won't stare right back at me.

Back to the main thought at hand, the remnant psyche of the Original Creator is probably weakened to its peak, giving me an easier time digesting and accommodating the Sleepless Sequence.

All I know for now is that losing control is still possible, thereby meaning that remnant psyche still exists while facing madness.

On the upside, I'm having it the easiest. On the downside... I've begun realizing the increasing danger of Golden Core experts, they somehow have understandings in law or dao, I'm not sure, either or.

It's basically the same thing as achieving a sequence. In my understanding as a fan of LotM, Sequences correspond to different domains, while the Pathway corresponds to the Authority that encapsulates the different domains.

So from the Golden Core onwards, I might have to fight the equivalent of Beyonders with unknown abilities.

With how I am now, I can only stand toe to toe with cultivators at Qi Condensing, wherewith they can only turn qi into a semi-physical element with limited control over it.

From what I can tell, the different stages of Qi Cultivation define the different qualitative leaps in quality or utilization. Based on the names, Condensing is the leap of Qi condensing into a semi-physical attribute while Golden Core means for Qi to have the quality of daos or laws. There might also be a another visible transformation for entering Qi Foundation.

I've consolidated my knowledge between the two power systems. From now on is my growth plan, I need to keep acting, and I should also perform advanced acting.

Concerning my future, after consulting Shengai, an equivalent of a Monster Sequence, I discovered that once I complete the Sleepless Sequence, I'll not only unlock Midnight Poet, but also the neighboring pathways, Warrior and Corpse Collector. The abilities and actions I displayed in her vision were my increased physical capabilities and my unusual actions of researching corpses. There was also, as how she described it, rippling and foggy visions of me with other abilities but they keep switching.

My guess is that I'll unlock the perk to choose another pathways someday to, and I won't be restricted to the Authorities under the Eternal Darkness. This is seriously too OP.

For the meantime, on the way back to the sect, I can perform advanced acting for Midnight Poet, Warrior, and Corpse Collector.

Unlike the Darkness Pathway, I didn't dwell too deeply in other pathways, I can only base acting as a Warrior and Corpse Collector through other means.

Warrior is part of the Twilight Giant Pathway. I remember the abilities relating to being able to physically withstand almost everything and have powers related to the light and conceal intentions, the last part being a vague concept to me, but it's highly useful when I'm in a bloody cultivation world.

The tarot card it's related to is Strength, which means triumph or overcoming a major problem... triumph and overcoming, I'll note it down.

Corpse Collector is part of the Death Pathway. The abilities are related to death, of a course, dealing with evil or dead spirits, and even have the ability of resurrection.

The tarot card in relation is Death, but the meaning doesn't forebode danger but an end, change, or transformation and a new beginning, It should have something to do with the end and beginning of death, like dead spirits?

In the meantime, I can research these by fighting beasts and studying dead bodies...I suddenly remember the corpses by the slums... I suddenly feel like a human traffic operative. 

Hm, I'll cultivate.

[Qi: Early Qi Gathering Lv.30/75

Qi Cultivation Technique: Lv.36/300]

 


 

"Alright, No one would notice, right?", I look

"Are we sure this can work?"

"I'm a saint, Sister Ai, not a criminal. I can't be so sure of my work."

"We could probably go through the gate with least people."

"How strict are the guards when handling the influx of people coming from the East Gate? Sister Xin?", I gave Shengai a nickname that sounds similar to Sheng so as to cover her until we make our way out of the city. I can already imagine the uproar that is going to happen when people notice that the beloved Shengai from Red Sky is gone.

This also shows how much Ms. Dahlia cares for Shengai and her stance in having me bring Shengai together with myself.

"The guards are mostly bribed by the East Gate, that is how some things ended up inside the city.", Although Shengai didn't go into detail, I knew she meant contraband.

"East Gate it is."

 


 

I took out my shield as we travelled in the forest, I thought about it for some while and I wanted to apply the ability that Shengai has, after a more detailed discussion with her, things make more sense. 

Among the known terms: Fate, Luck, Probability, and Destiny. Her eyes is a Primordial Treasure, 'Inevitability'

While that sounds scarily related to a certain Outer God, I find her ability to be under the category of Destiny and Probability.

While she cannot change the set Luck or Fate of a person albeit she can alter the Probability relating to Fate, making it so that if one were Destined to encounter Fortune by certain Probability, thereby is Luck, then Probably is turn Inevitable. Not only that, it is possible to quicken it, making it so that one encounters Fortune earlier that they are Fate to encounter.

Once again, she cannot alter set Luck or Fate, she can only delay events happening, such as encounters of Misfortune but cannot offset them. It seems that she needs strong cultivation to manipulate the Probability of Destiny.

With this, she could influence the encounter of beasts in the forests and set the course of our travels... it's like having a personal Dungeon Master that help set the enemies at the player's pace. Has she been sent from the Heavens? No, this is definitely a blessing from Midnight, my faith has been renewed!

With this in mind, I told Shengai my plan onwards, she would bring them in succession while also scaling it in terms of our strength.

This is also beneficial to Ai, who needs lifeblood to cultivate her technique. Normally, human lifeblood extracted through rituals are better due to how tamer it is, making it easier to refine.

It seems that lifeblood has the characteristics of rejecting or going violent when being refined, especially if: 1, The person is murdered or dies with resentment to the one refining their blood, which can only be offset through the Thousand Demonic Lifeblood Ritual; 2, The lifeblood comes from a wild and chaotic beast, this also applies in direct proportion to demons or human practicing demonic techniques that turn them chaotic or man.

Even if I don't practice that technique, I was able to teach all the benefits, drawbacks, and what to look out for and endow it to Ruiyu Ai. Thankfully, her bloodline is that of the DemonJade Bloodline, which completely offsets the two restrictions. She doesn't have to perform Thousand Demonic Lifeblood Rituals nor does she have to find suitable humans, rather, she can even fine demons to extract their lifeblood and cultivate with it.

*Ghrkhhh*

I look at a couple of bears that come into the groups direction, they amount to five.

I review the sections I read about Colin Iliad, for him to become a ---, he had to fight in an environment of monsters that lurk day and night. I must learn his mindset, his experience, his principles. And for that, I must struggle, struggle with all my might.

But I shouldn't worry, looking at the two I'm with, I could definitely endure and survive, coming out triumphant. Shield in hand, I rush to the nearest bear, its green fur stood on end as it saw me.

A grizzly expression formed as it clawed its way towards me, fortunately it was too big and wide as I rolled over to it's side and jumped on its back. I then clutched on its hide using the sharp edge of my shield while pushing myself toward the cranium of the bear.

 

The bears roared as they saw what seems to them like their new prey. But just in the first few seconds of confrontation, the bear on the forefront encountered a light injury and is in danger of suffering a heavy concussion, or worse, a fatal injury.

The bear tried to throw of the assaulting human's momentum but the later remained unimpeded, landing steady blow on the bear using an iron fist and leaping back.

At that same moment, Ruiyu Ai, clan in her pretty village attire, blood condensed on her jaded hands, she landed a clean blow on the disoriented bear. The blood seemed to latched onto the bear drew blood from it, there was incredible sharpness to her qi.

The unfortunate bear roared in louder aggression, much more that Li Yong expected as he felt that sound grating to his ears, nevertheless, he pushed forward as the 4 other bears did not stay there to watch a member of their pack get brutalized.

Shengai follows behind. Underneath her large robe revealed a her firm legs that kicked off the ground, gracefully she lands softly beside Li Yong and sprang up, pulling off a high kick to one of the bears that attempted to pounce on her quick figure.

Another bear from Shengai's side tries to take a bite out of her as the rest of the two bears faced off against Li Yong, where they both rushed forwards with their big frames, not giving Li Yong any space to dodge.

Li Yong placed back his shield and faced the overwhelming force head on, to his understanding, the attacks were too heavy to absorb so he opted to pierce through one of the bear's attack. Using quick and precise movements of [Ember Knuckles] while maintaining a the foundation of [Iron Joints Combat], Li Yong thought to himself,

 

Wood fuels Fire, Metal pierces Wood but Fire melts Metal. Then how do I deal with it? I have to separate my moves meticulously. Consume the attacks with Fire and Pierce their defense with Metal.

 

With preliminary judgement, Li Yong recognized the bears to be Wood attributes. He soon remembered their names, 'Bush Bears' as their fur were reminiscent of the wild shrubs that push out from the ground.

Li Yong concentrated as he quickly parried an incoming bear's paw and directed it towards the other bear's paw. He then moved closer and hit the bear's front with a good ol' straight jab.

The other bear, having been interrupted, attacks again, pawing his back, fortunately there is a shield, Li Yong tanked the attack and stumbled on the belly of the bear he just jabbed.

Li Yong tried once again to regain his balance, he kneed the tough bear in front of him to no avail. He turned back and rolled, dodging the bear as it lowered its head to bite out his upper half. This time, Li Yong took towards the other bear.

The maddened bear that faced against Ruiyu Ai didn't hold back and ran towards her with increased speed. Ruiyu shift her feet as blood manifested on the ground she stood which seemed to enhance her speed. Quickly, it became a hit and run scenario where Ai had to maintain high speed against the berserked bear. Ai's attack did good as the bear couldn't think well, resulting in the said bear to only run after crush without a second thought.

Shengai on the other hand is a nimble body cultivator. She kept jumping and making circles around the bears with her agile grace. Quickly in succession, she'd do multiple kicks on the joints of the bears though not entirely effective due to the tough hide, her strength wasn't one to laugh at as she has incredible strength with her agility.

Li Yong finally got into a rhythm as he soon adapted to the fight. Turning the situation to his advantage, soon enough on of the bear's skulls will have to cave in.

And then it did. The other bear also suffered greatly as blood came out of the beasts' throat. While Li Yong wanted to break through the bear's cranium, he also opted other means such as the eyes or throat.

At this moment, 3 bears were down, Ruiyu Ai landed a hit on the bear's eyes, piercing the mad bear. The said bear thrashed around with no direction or well minded decision. It became easier after that.

Shengai completely disable one of the bears and made too many blows that caused internal injury, killing said bear from the inside. With that being said, Ruiyu Ai came to assist, making it quick work to deal with the other bear.

Li Yong also took things to an end as he brutally worn down the bear's neck and tore through its trachea. In the end, Li Yong's hand was drenched in blood.

 

"*Huff*, We'll have a break.", This was a bit harder than expected, it has only been a while since we left and strong beasts came, I shouldn't let my guard down then since we could very much be attacked again.

*Ssssshuaaa*

Speak of the devil. Come at us!

 

Spoiler

[Name: Gu Yue Li Yong

Body: Early Body Transformation Lv.5/75

Qi: Early Qi Gathering Lv.30/75

Soul: Peak Soul Refining Lv.01/25

Combat Technique: Iron Joints Combat Lv.100/100, Ember Knuckles Lv.100/100, Tao Dew Shield Lv.10/100

Body Cultivation Technique: Black Iron Scripture Lv.100/100

Qi Cultivation Technique: Copper Gourd Lv.36/300

Darkness Pathway: Sleepless Lv.35/100

Nocturnality Lv.39/100

Night Vision Lv.19/100

Evening Spirituality Lv.21/100

Evernight Lv.37/100]

[collapse]
What AtS would Li Yong try to acquire next?
  • Lord of the Mysteries Votes: 3 15.8%
  • God Almighty Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Calamity of Destruction Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Demon of Knowledge Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Goddess of Origin Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Anarchy Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Father of Devils Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Key of Light Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Son of Chaos Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Circle of Inevitability Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mother Goddess of Depravity Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Mother Tree of Desire Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another or Original Above the Sequence Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 19
9