6: Steel Fortress Arc (Not just seclusion and seclusion)
285 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Forgive me if I'm having problems between relationships and how people call each other. I'm balancing between seniority, brotherhood, estrangement, fellowship, and personal relations in twine with mannerisms and how to refer to one another.

I look at myself, I am bloody, I personally really hate having my clothes stained and I don't like the smell blood either. On another note, I unusually don't mind the taste of blood in my mouth but blood getting to my ears is the worst. Realistically, I have to avoid splashes but I don't think I should ever hold back in a fight, thankfully, blood is a small matter when you have your own personal mafioso janitor a.k.a Ruiyu Ai.

While having breaks, Ruiyu Ai would cultivate using the spilled blood as cultivation material, even if the Lifeblood Qi that she can cultivate from it is minimal, it was better than showing up in the sect like you've been on a murdering spree. Even if it is a common occurrence among cultivators, I like to be more down to earth than any 'fleeting' or 'above the heavens' cultivating fanatics out there.

Ah, but the dirt and wounds still accumulate, still, it shows me the effort of my hard work. I look at Ruiyu Ai and Shengai. The former is managing better than all of us as she regained qi every time using Lifeblood Qi, which would usually make someone mad, again, her DemonJade Bloodline is perfect. Shengai was basically a super soldier made by Ms. Dahlia, her strength and agility were higher than mine, naturally, Steel Fortress Sect would welcome her with open arms. What are those legs made of?

Speaking about the Sect. We've already arrived by the gate and ensued a long process of paperwork and qi signatures were done. I had to heavily vouch for Ai in the end, I had to completely convince them that the technique was not demonic but unorthodox, We had to go in a process of interrogation, me, Ruiyu Ai, and Shengai. Although Shengai wasn't directly involved or knew much, she was used to cross check information while both me and Ruiyu Ai were grilled for answers. Thankfully, there was Elder Jin is there who used an artifact that discerns lies. This also increased my understanding, Elder Jin most important work is probably making sure that disciples are safe. The amount of seriousness and extensiveness when it came to clearing both Ruiyu Ai and Shengai was truly fascinating.

I guess I never really considered how well organizations such as sects function. Unlike the 21st century, I don't have the power to search into every little rule that society places. Kingdom rules, Aristocracy rules, Sect rules, Social rules, Cultural rules, And others regulations too. Maybe one day I'll explore them all if I become lawyer, but for now, I don't think it would be one of the candidates for my next pathway.

Setting these matters aside, we got through safely as we were given stone houses next to each other. I probably know why they kept us together and I'm not complaining.

It's still the morning of the day after we left Sky Fall City. It would be in my best interest to cultivate now since Ruiyu Ai will be cultivating the amount of monsters we three were able to bring back. Shengai is also resting since she used a lot of energy all throughout that day. But my opportunistic self wouldn't be satisfied without securing a stable backing.

Normally, I would gather my personal strength to have better connections later on but with Ai and Shengai... I don't have to wait any longer. I can even have my brothers join in, especially bringing in Sister Wan and I'd be set.

Although I've made friends with some rich cultivators, that wouldn't stay the same after we've separated after so long and they've probably reached a 'higher status' than my 'lowly self'. I need to distinguish my allies, neutrals, and enemies. From my 100 spirit stones, about 80 of them were pity and mock compensation. Truly, for people to use their wealth to brag and stroke their ego, it was stupid, which was a significant reason why I splurged on my money. Why? I can't be petty?

Anyhow, I'll reconnect first with Su JunJie and Wu Zirui then see the others. Taking a sip out of my favorite, although disgustingly leafy, tea I breathed out,

"Fu~"

I really needed the breather.

 


 

If I'm right, the fighting prodigy should be by the Outer Court Training Field, I would be surprised if he wasn't, if anyone wanted my tips so badly, it would be that guy.

"Hm, there", I identified a man who was shorter than the rest, he was sweating buckets as he hurled massive punches on the training dummy.

Su Junjie, by his name, he's definitely outstanding. Coincidentally, Wu Zirui is also true to his name, was it given by fate? Or the machinations of heaven's will?

"First Brother?", That's a term I haven't heard in a long time. While Junjie was a sucker for my fighting tips. Zirui found value in my intelligence.

So it came about in our small brotherhood that I became the first brother. I wonder how fourth brother is doing now? He should be causing some kind of trouble somewhere. I'm afraid that I won't be actively looking for that scoundrel.

"Second brother", Zirui smiles unpretentiously, "I have returned!"

"About time, First Brother! Let's spar!", Almost immediately, Junjie shouted out from the training court. He's abnormally keen with his senses, especially his auditory and olfactory.

"Alas, Second brother, it seems that Third brother has caught onto us. I must accept this fate, excuse me for a bit.", I look away from Zirui with dramatic flair.

"Aha, Third brother, always with the fists for mind. I'll wait here.", Zirui helplessly snorts in incredulity.

"Third brother!"

"First brother!"

Me and him nod to each other, immediately I made the front assault. Recklessness is key! I'm not in my optimal condition after all! It's in the middle of the day! Damn sun, I don't feel free at all.

Ah, this feeling aside, I notice that it happens usually in the day. It's usually the thought, 'I don't feel freeing', which accumulates frustrations. Maybe it's a point that could make me lose control. Much more so if I get too addicted to the feeling of 'being free in the night'. I think I understand the saying of some beyonders, 'Remember that you're only acting'

Since I'm theoretically weaker than Junjie, I'll dodge upon confrontation then interrupt that battle maniac's ryht-

"Kh!", I feint a fall as my opponent throws a straight. Immediately I gain firm balance, swinging one of my legs for a roundhouse on his ribs. He grabs onto my leg, fuc-

 

Junjie makes a confuzzled expression as Li Yong grabbed on his clothes. He was about to use his other fist to immobilize Li Yong's caught leg only to encounter Li Yong's other fist.

Junjie grins and catches the fist but is stunned for a second as the fist that grabbed on to him in one moment changed to a deep punch in his solar plexus.

"Ghg-!"

The endurance of Junjie was significant as he still held onto Li Yong. The latter responded by bring his weight down and twisting his body, avoiding a strong knee to his vulnerable body, then countering with a high kick. With that Junjie let go of Li Yong and stepped back, regaining clarity of his disorientation.

Li Yong took a lot of effort to land stably, he didn't want to mess up now. Both sides were now facing each other in a distance.

 

My wrist and ankle... they both hurt. He's too strong even with his grip. He usually was bad in really close combat because of his huge swings but it seems that he trained his body to become quicker, reacting faster than me.

Hmph, then it seems I have to be even more slick. He practices a gold-attribute, which is similar to metal, speed that scales with his defense, it's that kind of technique. Is that why he's kind of shining? I thought it was his sweat.

 

Li Yong's eyes twitched as he glances around his opponent. With an idea in his mind, he rushes straight. Junjie made the first move, swing largely in an attempt to catch Li Yong once again. The Sleepless moved with the rhythm, rather than disrupting it, and swept a palm on Junjie's advancing arm, redirecting it and give Li Yong a real good opening.

 

Metal carries Water, Water scatters Gold! I do not believe in the Golden Buddha, be swept away by Poseidon!

 

While Li Yong started to think delusions, he was surprisingly changing the tide of the battle as he had to become defensive.

 

Alas, Steel Fortress Sect is known for its unbreakable defense techniques! Damn it! I need to switch my techniques between the Water-attribute Tao Dew Shield and the Fire-attribute Ember Knuck-

 

Li Yong's luck seems to have run out, he wasn't a total genius as he did have his shortcomings, these things being talent and the nature. Without a smooth transitions between these conflicting attributes, he unknowingly created a flaw in his defense and gap in offense, generating an incredible opportunity for Junjie to break through and land a hit on the weakened sleepless.

 

"Cougk!", From this point on, it descended into a disadvantage to a total loss. While it wasn't what I wanted to achieve, I wouldn't take this as a reason for a resentment as it would really be petty and bad for my inner spirit.

"I-I won?", Outer Disciple Su froze in place as if he couldn't believe the development. Wasn't First brother supposed to do some weird fuckery, like last time? Well too bad, body cultivators are too OP in terms of beginning scaling with exceptions to special attributes and soul combat techniques, which were thousands, if not ten thousands, times rarer than a body cultivation technique.

"Yes Third Brother, you won fair and square.", I bellow a haughty laugh. I always won against him when we were Trial Disciples and when he was about to win, I would use an underhanded trick to win. Let's just say that in the beginning, Su Junjie would have marked me as his worst enemy due to my style but it all changed when the Green Tea Brotherhood formed.

"First Brother!", Tears were threatening to colonize Junjie's eyes as he celebrated in wonder at his victory. He won despite his First brother's strange tactics! A first!

I heaved and ho'd upright and got back up, Even if I were physically tired, in contrast to Junjie, I am overflowing in terms of the energy of my mental state.

"I'm surprised First brother, I thought you would have shamelessly claimed the victory once again.", Wu Zirui tilted his head in puzzlement.

"What do you take me for? I know a battle is lost when I see one.", I babbled while raise my head with dignity.

"Are you sure? Because you look like you wanted gut out Third brother's eyes-", Outer Disciple Wu teased.

"Second brother, how could I consider permanent injury? That's complete foul play!", I feign ignorance while reasoning. Usually, my moral compass spins in a way that confuses most people as I'm always kinds and polite but then again, I could do the most damning and ruthless things if I really wanted to.

"Huh, and the family jewels are not?", Second brother scoffed while I merely smiled in a way that wasn't smiling.

"Of course! Haven't you heard of the Iron Groin Technique?", I suggest to him.

"Don't even tell me.", Zirui made a disgusted expression while denying in exasperation.

"I see, then let's get some tea?"

"I'd rather have some milktea.", Zirui frowns as he sighs at my actions. He probably knows my hate for leaf-flavored tea. Once again, tea is my favorite drink. You can't change my mind.

"Consider it done. Third brother, are you going to celebrate on the floor like that or are you coming with?", I look at a completely joyous sight of Junjie, who might as well have taken drugs.

 


 

"Tch, tastes like leaves.", I spat out my disappointment

"Once again, don't drink tea if you don't want to taste leaves.", Unperturbed, Second brother admonished.

"Denied."

"Seriously, that's stupid."

"I agree.", Third brother nods incessantly.

"Nevermind that, where is Fourth brother?", While I don't want to meet him. It would be best to know how he's doing or where he is.

"You mean that freak in human skin? Yes, that respected Fourth brother is working in the Crafts Hall, he was hired as an Alchemists' assistant.", Zirui responds.

"...You don't mean he went there because...", I could just imagine...

"Elder Lao is a top beauty, he said.", Zirui cupped his chin upon recalling such words of 'wisdom'

"As expected, there is no helping that lost cause.", I conceded.

"How is he even more talented than us?", Zirui closes his eyes while gritting his teeth in frustration.

"This is the benefit of his indomitable will...", Junjie replies. I can hear Fourth brother saying the same exact words.

"Indomitable will your mother, It's a perverts' obsession!", I curse out.

"But you can't deny that he's one of the candidates to become an Inner Disciple.", Zirui lamented.

"Ah, but he'll definitely concede his chances to Sister Wan.", I added.

"You think so?", Zirui questioned.

"No, no, that totally makes sense.", Junjie replied admittedly.

"Ah, but there are three spots for Inner Disciple Promotion unless there are- wait... There are!", I suddenly corrected myself.

"There are what?!", Junjie shouted out in intrigue

"Uh, just today, I brought in two new Outer Disciples. Uh, and they're top beauties too. If Fourth brother gets wind of this."

"...He'll concede his spot to both of them.", Zirui thoughtfully muttered out

"Wait! How did you bring not one but two chicks?", Junjie dumbfoundedly demanded an answer.

"Don't 'chicks' me. They're because of their talent, alright? You know that I get rewards for bringing in talented disciples.", I shrug in a matter of a fact. Of course, I not telling them that one is in the verge of converting to be my believer and the other is literally my girlfriend.

"Ah, just to make sure. Don't think about anything funny, I'm responsible over them."

"Haha, no need to worry about us First brother. I already have someone to be betrothed and Third brother is, you know, he is himself.", The forever filial Zirui smiled while soon becoming lost in thought. I feel happy for him, not everyone can just have a smooth life with a soon-to-be loving wife, and their childhood sweetheart at that.

"What do you mean about that?", The fighting maniac that is Junjie felt slightly offended and responded with a tone of pain.

"Do not worry Third brother, we understand...", This man does not know the joy of a peaceful life. A balanced cultivation life is what I believe not to be one of complete seclusion, isolation, or slaughter, and is not purely pursuit of pleasures, treasures, and filial respect. I find that using life to gain life is a waste if one does not find use in life, and using life to a purpose of waste is completely an insane concept to me. Maybe this is why I love the slice-of-life genres the most? Ah, to be young and old, I want to experience both, but it's a gift to have relived my youth, even if it was in a forest and full of hunting, I felt like I went back to my roots.

"I-i see...", Third brother looks at Second brother who also looked at the former with pity. He accepted the strange situation in the end.

"Right, let's go back in topic then. I plan to make a vague faction in the Outer Sect.", I retract and face my brothers seriously.

"Huh? Vague? And what do you mean faction? Even if us three brothers were to help you, we can't compare to the other factions in the sect.", Junjie scrunched his eyebrows.

"Indeed, First brother, you just became an Outer Disciple, you may not know but we brothers have already joined other factions like you've requested. What are going on about now?", Zirui asked in confusion. I thought he would have known my intentions but it seems that he was too innocent, it's alright, he's a good person. A good brother.

"Our faction is one that we agree exist but people don't know that we've formed this alliance. All three of you have joined factions and I will soon. We will then be able to have support from four factions if we do things right!", Finally, my own makeshift tarot club ahahahah.

"Ah, you're right. But what if our factions come in conflict?", Zirui rubs his chin in contemplation while Junjie nods to act like he's followed along.

"This is where we come in, we can try different plans, we can make peace or even direct the conflict to other factions. If all else fails, we can join on of our brothers factions that aren't in conflict. With this, we can have both connections and a wide variety of resources!!", I proudly concluded.

"First brother, this idea totally works!", Zirui jaw drops in amazement.

"Uh, Ya!", Junjie, Junjie, I have to give him some lessons in politics, the way he agree totally gave away his cluelessness.

"Hm? My tea's gone cold...", I'm wondering why I got out of bed at all. Ok, I'm kidding. Haha.

 


 

"Disciple Gu Yue, I don't remember us to be in speaking terms."

"Sorry Disciple Pen. I just wanted to inquire about the Steel Fence Faction...", I fake an apologetic expression.

"Hm... Well, we take in jobs related to raising herbs and plants, of course, usually, those herbs now belong to the sect and you get contribution points in exchange but if you're interested in joining, you should have experience in raising herbs. Hmph, alas, I don't think a country bumpkin like you would know how to, if you think farming is the same at handling herbs then you're sorely mistaken.", Pen Pigu held me in contempt.

Factions were alliances that had strong influence, how they hold such influence is divided in two, strength and position. Steel Fence Faction has its alliance rooted down in those joining the Herb Hall, the faction doesn't have strong people due to the Inner Disciples keeping to themselves as they kept the garden, but this also meant that Outer Disciples had higher reign in matters relating to the Herb Hall, this made the Steel Fence Faction one of the major factions in the Outer Sect.

Another faction would be the one Su Junjie is on, it has an Inner Disciple as a backer. The Gold Guard Faction.

Strength on the other hand might be not only in numbers but also the top Outer Disciples. After all, an Inner Disciple can't just bully an Outer Disciple because it makes him lose face, but the top dog of the Outer Court could walk freely all over the other Outer Disciples, in theory, sometimes someone can have enough pettiness to perform a break in social rules.

I wasn't thinking of joining Steel Fence faction since it has really close ties with the Alchemy Fort faction. It would be redundant to do so. Our secret faction should have its clutches on every side of the sect. For some reason, I feel like I'm having a kind of deja vu... Joining different organizations... It's as if I read something about it in Circle of Inevitability, the second book after Lord of the Mysteries... Too bad that I haven't read it, I wanted to know whether if the main protagonist actually gained the pathway of luck, Wheel of Fortune.

"Ah, Indeed, I don't have experience in taking care of herbs. I apologize for the trouble, Disciple Pen.", At least I've checked out his personality. I need to be wary of him, his indifference is leaning towards hostility. Is it because he feels superiority over his faction being over precious herbs? Well I wouldn't want to get over his head but I could definitely surpass him in position if I take the Mother pathway...hm, yeah, I probably should mark that one out since I don't have an access to land nor precious plants.

 


 

"Hello, I was hoping if senior brother could tell me more about Shadow Hall. Hopefully, senior brother can recommend me into the Silver Bone faction.", I requested to the senior brother I first met in Shadow Hall, Long Heiyin.

"That's troublesome but we don't get much members. Fine, we'll have anyone we need.", Disciple Heiyin groaned. As expected, he's somewhat a lazy type so he won't care about any of my past 'false genius' reputation. At least I didn't have go over with my lines trying to convince him, ah, now I feel like I wasted my rehearsals...no no, I shouldn't be complacent.

It should have already been obvious but I preferred to have connections to the Shadow Hall. The Outer Sect faction here would be Silver Bone faction, which is named after it's leader, Shil BuBong. The name of the faction might be pointing towards the technique that he uses because the description of his appearance is a tell tale sign.

It isn't known why he hasn't promoted himself to an Inner Disciple since he could easily defeat Fourth brother, at least according to Second brother who heard from the person himself.

I'm sure that Shil BuBong is aiming to promote himself by default. This is done by breaking through either the Body/Soul/Qi Foundation realm.

Usually, Body or Soul cultivators could promote in status on a smaller realm because of their rarity and the difficulty it implies in comparison to a Qi cultivator.

Shil BuBong might be using his strength as the top outer disciple to gain more resources than an inner disciple. Of course, there are differences between an orthodox and demonic sect so extortion acts shouldn't go over 'face'. I can't confirm if any rumors are true but it's best to have a basis.

It would be hard for me to even join this faction of his but sometimes there we're exceptions. Even, if he is the too outer disciple, there is no way he can't defeat a whole faction alone, except for for our Iron Brotherhood, which has only 4 members. What's more is that Shadow Hall isn't a hall that one would prioritize taking control over since while Missions Hall has mandatory jobs, excluding those who take Shadow Hall missions, making those who control that hall have decision over what missions they take, Shadow Hall has no power to enforce missions unless given by an elder or higher power.

So who would join a faction that presides over Shadow Hall and has a presumed tyrant, right? Only doglickers would think of gaining any benefits.

But of course, a bad reputation is a good weapon in of itself, and as I have said, I need connections to all sides of the factions. With my already 'bad' reputation, a faction like this won't mind me, I don't think they even know about me nor will they care. If they ever cared about 'bad' reputation then my 'sources', aka, brother Zirui, would have been more hushed about it.

You could say that Silver Bone faction is full of hooligans who are not to be messed with, kept at respect and avoided.

"Thank you senior brother!", I bowed with gratitude.

"Hmph, if you can't do well then we'll kick you out, do you understand?", Long Heiyin sternly warned.

"Understood!", You don't know how much fighting and night escapades my pathways need. Your faction is a godsend if anything else. I'll be sure to drain you of every last benefit while also taking everything I can from this sect. I can feel the my dream of peaceful cultivation at hand!

...wait, this feels oddly like a Conspirer. Ah, I'll have to think about that too...

Not Lawyer, not Arbiter, not Planter, not Apothecary, not Assassin, not Sailor, not Marauder, not Criminal. Maybe Hunter, Apprentice, Reader, Bard, Spectator, and Savant while Seer, Mystery Pryer, Secrets Supplicant, Criminal, and Monster are ambiguous and can go both ways.

I have to think more about this.

Announcement

[Name: Gu Yue Li Yong

Body: Early Body Transformation Lv.10/75

Qi: Early Qi Gathering Lv.34/75

Soul: Peak Soul Refining Lv.01/25

Combat Technique: Iron Joints Combat Lv.100/100, Ember Knuckles Lv.100/100, Tao Dew Shield Lv.20/100

Body Cultivation Technique: Black Iron Scripture Lv.100/100

Qi Cultivation Technique: Copper Gourd Lv.42/300

Darkness Pathway: Sleepless Lv.43/100

Nocturnality Lv.47/100

Night Vision Lv.23/100

Evening Spirituality Lv.25/100

Evernight Lv.44/100]

Oh right, I kinda delayed this week because stuff happened. Anyway, let's just say I feel tired of school, and also did a side rant on Reddit. You'll see a whole convoluted headcanon I'll make in the LotM subreddit so keep an eye.

Does the story feel too...safe?
  • What do you mean about that Author? Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I swear Author if you dare! Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Yes Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Red Herring Votes: 3 25.0%
Total voters: 12
7