2. Academic Debt
74 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Whatever I do with this princess in front of me is none of her family's business. What's mine is mine. It's impertinent of his brothers to believe they can settle their parents' debts. Their father's ambition is so steep that I find it laughable to consider them ever repaying it.

"If I may ask, sir," Andrea suddenly blurts out, her face slightly blushing. "I've heard stories of creditors resorting to..."

"Don't you dare liken me to those lecherous swine," I snap at Andrea, making her flinch. "I suppose you might assume that, being royalty, it's everyone's dream to get into your good graces and explore your riches and your body, but if I were to engage in such activities, it would diminish your value," I inform her, lowering my voice. "It's bad for business, but, well, I trust you're aware that I can do whatever I want." 

"Yes," Andrea says in a more moderate tone, her voice trembling slightly. "I understand, sir."

"Good, there's no need to be frightened or anything. I'm not in the mood for it right now," I assure the princess as I lean back in my chair and pick up the nearby tablet on my desk. While going through the financial reports my accounting team has sent, it seems I'll be recouping a considerable investment soon. People often forget their debts; money has a way of making you forget your troubles and allows you to see the brighter side of life. It's such an amusing delusion,, but like all dreams, there comes a time to wake up and face reality. These people need to comprehend their responsibilities as adults and fulfill their obligations.

As I sift through the files, a picture of a girl with shining blonde hair and cerulean eyes grabs my attention.

"A scholar, huh?" I mumble while examining the file. "Quite impressive at such a young age, though she doesn't strike me as particularly intelligent. What do you think?" I ask Andrea, showing her the picture.

"That's... She used to be the royal scholar, sir," Andrea reveals, to my complete surprise.

"Is that so? Could this be more of a part-time job for her then? Because if you're a royal scholar instructing nobility, you shouldn't need to borrow money. If she's indeed the royal scholar, I wonder if our meeting might turn into a repayment arrangement instead of a collection."

"It appears she's quite a distance away. I'd have to take the helicopter to reach her."

"Should I accompany you, sir?" Andrea asks hesitantly, stammering. "I may not be much, but if you're anticipating a confrontation against her, I can at least provide magical protection..."

"Protect me, Andrea? Seriously?" I snap at the interruption. "Don't be naive, princess. I'll manage on my own. I need you to handle some administrative tasks while I'm away. My team will be in touch with you once I've departed."

"Understood, sir. I'll take my leave."

With a small nod, the princess exits my office, closing the door gently behind her. She's naive to think that goodwill could change my mind. She better have a mountain of it, because not even that would convince me to let her go. She's mine until every last gold coin is repaid.

...

The helicopter touches down at one of the libraries supposedly owned by the scholar I've come to confront. As I review her file once more, I can't help but be infuriated by the loan my team allowed her to secure.

"I'll need to address this idiocy later," I mutter to myself as I exit the helicopter and retrieve a few small books that will allow me to cast defensive magic. I'm no expert in the arcane arts, but my late mother, may she rest in peace, was highly skilled and even gained fame for her defensive spellcraft. I reminisce about her casting a protective ward on me while I played with the other kids years ago. She was a bit eccentric and overprotective, but I suppose in this line of work, her madness pays off. I see flickers of lightning and bursts of flame manifesting and dissipating in front of me as I approach the stone staircase leading to the library.

Raising my gaze, I spot a figure standing on the balcony, likely disappointed that her protective spells have failed.

"Why must you make this so difficult?" I shout at the figure while checking her file and ascending the stone steps. "Fia Arianna, the Royal Scholar! Your magical traps, or whatever you wish to call them, won't work, and they'll only complicate matters for both of us. Can we please descend and discuss this like reasonable adults?"

After a few moments of silence, the figure leaps from the balcony and lands near me with a soft thud.

"My apologies, Mr. Creditor," she says immediately, offering a slight bow of her head. "It was never my intention to cause you harm."

"Well, someone seems rather arrogant for an academic like yourself," I retort as I approach her. "But I suppose it's not surprising. I think we both know why I'm here, don't we?"

"To reclaim your ill-gotten gains with exorbitant interest," Fia responds with a small laugh, making me even more pissed. How dare she act this way when she's the one who owes me money? 

"Yes, I want my money back, ill-gotten or not," I snap at Fia. "Money with interest that's just as 'dirty'."

"What if I choose not to repay you?" she then asks, her cerulean eyes glaring at me,  making me more irritated. 

4