3. A Scholar’s Dilemma with Debt
65 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As much as I'm tempted to react impulsively to her insolence, I choose a more diplomatic approach.

"You know, as the royal scholar, wouldn't it go against your moral code not to repay your debts?" I inquire.

"Don't make me laugh, Mr. Creditor," Fia retorts with a chuckle. "For a scholar who resorts to borrowing money from individuals like you, moral codes are out of the question."

If she's trying to provoke me, she's succeeding with flying colors. But I decide to maintain my composure, crack a small smile, and continue the negotiation.

"From what I've heard, you've spearheaded several projects that have established academic libraries across the country," I remark, pulling out my phone to review the information forwarded to me. "For someone engaged in such a noble endeavor, I assume your sense of morality runs deep."

"Alright, what if I tell you right now that I don't have the money at the moment?" she blurts out, testing my patience. "What will you do, call the police?"

"Don't be absurd," I chuckle at her suggestion. "As much as I'd like to see you arrested, considering the size of your debt, even if they all took turns with you, your body wouldn't be enough to cover a fourth of the interest. But I digress. I assume you understand how a contract works, correct? When you signed that dotted line and received your funds, you agreed that I have the right to collect what you owe by any means necessary."

"That sounds rather suggestive," Fia hisses with a tone of disgust. "Are you so depraved that you'd resort to taking my virginity or something?"

"For a scholar, you certainly have a foul mouth and its even more a wonder as to why with that foul mouth, you remain chaste." I respond with a sigh. "And no, I don't think it's worth much more than a few ecstatic seconds of pleasure. You're neither a noble nor a merchant, so let's not exaggerate. Although, if I'm being honest, a blonde girl with cerulean eyes could fetch a decent price in certain markets. There's always someone with that particular kink. I could sell you off to recoup my losses, though that still wouldn't be enough. Perhaps your libraries?" I suggest, noting the immediate glare in her eyes.

"Oh? Someone's growing agitated," I chuckle, locking eyes with her. "Is it frustrating to know that you're powerless if I decide to take everything from you or you know what, actually, I think I'll take you for myself," I suddenly suggest, eliciting a fiery response from Fia.

"So we're going to have sex then?" She snaps. "Should I put on my sexy lingerie to make it more exciting, you pig?"

"While that could be a fun five seconds, if the idea of me taking away your libraries, your research, or your body repulses you so much, what if you pay me with your services?" I propose. "Though the notion of a nerdy blonde girl like yourself clumsily wearing seductive linge-" 

"You bastard!!" She shrieks in interruption.  "If you think I'd degrade myself and become your..." Fia begins.

"No, no, silly," I interrupt her, trying my best to remain composed. "As the royal scholar, you have access to, well, royal knowledge, right?"

"What are you implying here, Creditor?" Fia asks, her voice cautious.

"I'm not implying anything, Fia. As I said, if you don't want to lose your libraries, your meager funds you call money , or your body, I want your knowledge. If we have this deal in place, you won't have to lose anything. A contract of 50 years, contingent on your performance, but it will cover all your outstanding debts and interest."

Judging by her defeated expression, she realizes it's a favorable deal. Other creditors might have demanded her body or property, but this offers her an easy way out.

"What about compensation..." Fia starts to ask.

"Please, spare me the laughter, Fia."

"Fine! You filthy creditor. You people are all the same," she hisses, displaying her desperation.

"Excellent. With a new contract come new conditions, and since you'll be working for me, I wouldn't want you sneaking around or seeking help, which might lead others to come after me with their armies and whatnot. So think of this as insurance," I explain while retrieving a steel case from my pocket and opening it, revealing several vials of purple liquid and a small syringe.

"W-What are you going to do with that?" Fia stammers as I grab her left hand and inject the liquid into her veins. While other creditors and collectors employ binding spells or enchantments, my father, an arcanic doctor who may his soul rest eternally in torment, was so thrilled that I was finally making money that he concocted this brew, which he named "insurance." Within seconds, the royal scholar collapses to the ground, writhing and glaring at me. It's an unpleasant sight, but my decaying father assured me that this was more potent than any other spell or enchantment, the ultimate insurance.

After a few more seconds, the royal scholar struggles to her feet, her eyes watering and drool spilling from her lips as she attempts to speak.

"I... That's the first time I've ever had an experience like that. What was the purple liquid you just gave me?"

"An aphrodisiac," I immediately respond, making her flinch.

"So you wanted my body aft—"

"I'm kidding, silly Royal Scholar. Like I mentioned, that's something I do to ensure you follow our new contract to the letter, but there's a second part to it," I explain, producing a worn-out, leather booklet from my other coat pocket.

"What are you doing, creditor? What are those strange incantations that you're—Aaah!! Haah!!"

With a loud gasp, the royal scholar falls to the ground once more, her cheeks flushed red, and her legs convulsing with a mix of pain and pleasure. Father never warned me of possible side effects, but he would have been pleased to witness this. It's a shame he was shot in the head for failing to pay his mounting debts, just when I was about to assist him.

"Such a shame, Father, that you won't be able to witness any of this." 

2