Chapter 3
172 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After stepping inside the teleportation formation, bright light engulfed Vidar's group causing them to shut their eyes close. When the light fades away, they opened their eyes and were greeted by the sight of dense dark forest. 

When they stepped out of the stone platform, the runes inscribed in the formation stopped glowing.

They looked at each other before nodding and begin to move. Vidar was in the front, the two apprentice sorceresses Hecara and Inkeri walks in the middle and the two warriors Trygve and Haakun in the back to guard their rear. 

Multiple orbs of light are floating around the group and following them as they walk. This is a spell casted by Inkeri to make it easy for the group to see in the dark forest. 

Even if Vidar is walking in front of the group, he is not the one who is giving them directions. It was the sorceress in training Hecara, whose staff was glowing and vibrating from time to time. She had casted a search spell which would make the staff point in the direction of their goal the teleportation formation to return to the academy. 

Vidar was only in the front to intercept any enemy that may come from the front, basically, he is the meat shield here. 

After walking for 15 minutes, Vidar signals everybody to stop as his perceptive eyes caught a movement ahead of them.

Picking a stone from the ground, Vidar swiftly throws it at the place where the saw the movement with great force. 

Shunk!

The sound of stone hitting flesh was heard and a green figure collapsed on the ground as green viscous liquid gushing out of its wound from where the stone hit it.

Rawr! Rawr! 

Suddenly sound of growling of numerous beasts begin to come from the forest and short green creatures started to become visible. 

"Goblins! Get in positions everybody!" Vidar shouts as dozens of goblins started to surround them. 

Goblins like Orcs and trolls are interdimensional humanoid creatures that pop up in different parts of nine realms from time to time from their home dimension using magic. They are hostile to pretty much every other species out there in the universe.

Asgardian sorcerers and hunters captures these creatures for the purpose of using them to test skills of academy students. 

'These bastards were using illusion magic to blend in with the forest to ambush us. This is going to be annoying.' Vidar thought as he narrows his eyes at these foul creatures.

"There are too many goblins that have surrounded us, Hecara, Inkeri cast any spell you know to immobilize the goblins. Haakun and Trygve focus on protecting the sorceresses, we shall buy them enough time to prepare their spells," Vidar calmly commanded them without taking his eyes off from the enemy. 

"Leave it to us, My Prince!" Trygve said with a battle hunger grin on his face. 

Goblins snarled and rushed at the Asgardians. 

Vidar steps forward and swings his Atgeir horizontally at the three goblins come in him attack range. The three goblins were horizontally cut in half through their abdomen. There corpses fell on the ground as green blood burst out of their severed body parts. 

In the rear, Trygve swung his shield at the rushing goblin's head stunning him. He seizes this opening to plunge his sword right into the creature's chest, killing it. Pulling his now blood coated sword out of the dead goblin, Trygve slash his blade upward just in time to cleave the goblin that tried to jump on him while he was distracted with his previous opponent. 

On Trygve's right side, Haakun could be seen letting out a battle cry and severing the heads of any goblins that came near him with his battle axe. 

Vidar spins his Atgeir and slashes at another goblin that gets near him, he then thrust his Atgeir to his right, skewering a goblin that tried to attack him from the side. He lifts the skewered creature in the air with his Atgeir and flings it at another goblin that was about to stab Haakun from his blind spot.

"Thank you, My Prince!" Haakun says as he saw who saved him from getting stabbed.

Vidar nodded before he turns his focus on slaughtering more goblins.  

""Binding chains."" Both Hecara and Inkeri simultaneously casts a spell to bind the enemy goblins.

Golden chains of energy shots out towards all the goblins in their vicinity, wrapping around their bodies and completely restraining their movements.  

Seeing that all their enemies are now unable to move Haakun, Vidar and Trygve begin to mercilessly slaughters all the goblins. 

After finish killing the last one Vidar wrinkled his nose in disgust and said, "Good job everyone. Now, let's get out of here. The stench of goblin's blood in getting unbearable."   

Others nodded in agreement and quickly left the area but not before cleaning their clothes and weapons with the help of spells casted by Hecara and Inkeri.

...

(Vidar's POV)

After taking care of the goblins, my group came across a pack of wolves. Before I could say anything to my team, a golden energy bolt came flying from behind me and hit the biggest wolf causing its head to blow off completely. 

As soon as the headless body of big wolf fell on the ground all the other wolves instantly fled with their tails tucked between their legs. 

I stand there awkwardly for a second before looking back and raise my eyebrows at Inkeri who standing while pointing her staff at the corpse of the big wolf. 

As if feeling mine and others enquiring gazes on her, Inkeri explained in a small voice, " I am not fond of w-wolfs and the big one startled me so, I... blasted it."

Everybody along with me burst in laughter while Inkeri tries to make herself as small as possible because of embarrassment. 

After resuming our journey, we also come across an orc. Orcs just like goblins moves in a group when they are out hunting for prey, but it seems that the instructors at academy got enough brains cells to realize that children will not be able to defeat a group of a dozen orcs. 

Orcs are extremely dangerous creatures, their punches have the strength to crush boulders with ease and their grey skin are extremely tough.

It charges at us like a bull the moment it spotted our group, not wanted to allow the orc to get near the girls I rushed forward to block its path with Haakun and Trygve following right behind me. 

The orc raised its club overhead but before it could bring the club down to hit me, I cut the club in half with my Atgeir. Haakun and Trygve flanked the orc on both sides and start slashing at it but all their attacks only left shallow cuts on its body. 

We kept its attention on us long enough for Hecara to prepare the binding chains spell and cast it to restrain the orc while I gauged its eyes out with my Atgeir.

Arrrghhhh!!!

The orc started roaring in pain, Inkeri took advantage of its blindness, pouring all her power in a single spell, she fired a golden blast of energy in its mouth. 

Bang!

The creature's head exploded, splattering blood everywhere, a moment later its body went limp in chains. Hecara cancelled her restrain spell seeing that the orc was dead.     

We cleaned the blood off our weapons to not attract more creatures before continuing our task to find the formation.

It took us two hours more of travelling and fighting monsters to find the teleportation formation.

Finally, we stepped in the formation and with a flash of light we were back at the academy. After we stepped away from the formation, Birger come to us and said, "Your performance has been evaluated by the academy staff which showed that there was no foul play, or any kind of cowardly move done during the test so all of you have passed this test." 

'This man really is a stubborn fool.' I thought. I know what he meant by cowardly move. He was trying to fail the girls for using Seidr which is their main means of fighting but thankfully the academy sent someone with common sense to judge the Seidr users' performance fairly.  

From what I could see this also a part of Birger's punishment for not teaching Seidr students. Birger's superiors in academy are making him go to all the students and inform them this like he was a mere attendant. Seriously, he is suffering all this humiliation because he can't let go of his dislike of Seidr.

'Well, who am I to judge him for being a masochist.' I thought to myself.    

I turned to my teammates and congratulated them on passing the test before leaving to find my twin. We still got some more classes to attend. 

If I am being honest, it was quite fun fighting with all those monsters and venturing into the forest, Hela and I usually don't go out of the palace to explore, so this little trip to the dark forest was enjoyable.

The academy conducts these types of tests once every year to see how much progress students are making, these tests continue until students come to age at 100 and graduate. 

After an Asgardian come to age and graduates, they can choose any occupation they want. Majority of men prefers to join Asgard's military forces such as Einherjars or Berserkers. While some women either join Valkyries or the Siedr users. But there are also other trades people choose because not everybody is able to meet the requirement for joining these military divisions.   

...

Walking a short distance, I was quickly able to spot my sister talking with other people.

Hela quickly excused herself from the group she was engaging in conversation upon noticing my arrival. 

"So, how was your walk, sister?" I asked her with a smile on my face. 

 Hela giggles and response, "Fighting for my life is not comparable to a strolling in the gardens, brother."

"Oh please, like there was anything that could have harmed you." I spoke.

"Well, I did encounter an orc, but it died shortly after I plunge my sword in its mouth." Hela said while making a face as if she was sad that her opponent died so quickly.   

I chuckled and said, "Shall we get going sister, there are still other classes left to attend." 

"Sure." Hela said as she started to walk beside me towards the academy.

... 

Few days later Vidar and Hela are present in the training ground of the royal family with their father Odin.

"Are you ready to begin my son and daughter?" Odin asked, while gazing in his children's eyes.

"Yes Father, we are prepared." Vidar answered with an impassive face while Hela nodded her head.

Today Odin is going to remove the seal he placed on Hela and Vidar because he deems that old enough to be able to comprehend and control their powers.

"Step forward son, I shall unlock your powers first." Odin commanded. 

Vidar did what his father demanded and stand before him, Odin put his hand on Vidar's head and invoked his Odin-Force to undo the block he placed on his son and instantly a golden glow surrounded both of them for a moment before fading away.

Odin lifted him hand off of Vidar's head after confirming that the seal is removed without any problem.  

Now with nothing blocking his to connect with his inner dimension, Vidar can sense a raw unyielding and destructive vortex of power deep within his soul, it was trying to reach out to him and demanding Vidar to be let it out and wreak havoc. 

He was curious about what would happen if he unleashed this power. So, he focused his will to release a small portion of this energy to see what it does, but the moment Vidar release his hold over this energy it rushed out of his soul into his body. 

The ferocious power courses throughout Vidar's body. His eyes started to glow white, and a white aura of destructive energy surrounded his body. 

The moment the white aura was manifested into reality, a shockwave was sent throughout the universe announcing the awakening of a new God of destruction but not many beings were able to hear this, only the wise and powerful gods can comprehend this phenomenon. 

The ground beneath Vidar's feet was cracking and beginning to pulverize, seeing this the young god reined his powers before it could destroy any more of his surroundings.    

Vidar was breathing hard, and he was feeling that his body was burning because of the violent energy that moving unrestrained in his body for the first time.   

"Well done Vidar today you have proven that you are worthy of being by son." Odin said with an arrogant and prideful smirk on his face.

The king of Asgard then turns to Hela, "Now come daughter it is your turn to finally claim what is yours."

When Hela stood in front of Odin, he repeated the same process he did with Vidar and unlocked Hela's divinity.

If a lesser man were to gaze upon Hela form right now, then he would have shit himself from fear. 

Black and green aura that was exuding from Hela's body was giving the feeling of death and dread and the very ground beneath feet begin to decay and air to grew heavy, Hela eyes were glowing menacingly and the green light radiating from them was sending chills down even Vidar's spin.       

"Marvelous daughter, I am pleased to see that both of my children have such powerful Domains." Odin spoke after Hela retreated her aura.

'Excellent one is God of Destruction and other is the Goddess of Death, with the three of our powers combined I will finally be able to unite the nine realms under Asgard's rule.' Odin thought before continuing, "Use this place to train with your powers, there are rune stones planted on the borders of the training ground which will ensure privacy by preventing anyone from peeping inside using any scrying spells, there are also runes that will provide self-repair of the area upon being destroyed by anyone training inside it and lastly, it  manipulates the space in a very complex way to make the training ground appear bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, on the outside it only covers a mile but upon entering the training ground the area it occupy appears to be of hundreds of miles. Work hard, my children I expect great things from both of you." 

The twins watch as their father left the training ground after explaining the functions of this training area and telling them to train hard to improve their control over their powers.

Vidar looks at his twin and saw a forced smile on her face. "Is something bothering you sister?" 

Hela froze upon hearing her brother's question. She doesn't know what to say to her brother. After gaining access to her divinity, she was able to understand the nature of her domain. 

Death.

That is what she is, the goddess who rip life out of the living, the bringer of death. This understanding of her powers made her realize of what sin she had committed right after being born. 

She turns to face her brother, " I-I it w-wasn't m-me." She chokes out, she is afraid of what will happen if she reveals this to her twin.     

"Sister?" Vidar calls out with worriedly. 

Hela steps back and looks away. "I-I didn't mean to d-do it, it was an accident." Hela says as tears roll down her face. 

"What accident sister? what are you talking about?" Vidar asks with a frown of his face, Hela was acting strangely, and he do not know why.

"I-I killed her. I rewarded her with death for giving birth to me." Hela cry out. "I am a monster. A monster who even killed her own mother, a kin slayer." Hela said with moist eyes. 

"Maybe you are right sister maybe we are monsters but know this that our mother's death was not your fault." The God of destruction said while looking directly in Hela's eyes so that she can see that he is not lying.  

"Don't blame yourself, I know mother did not blamed you back then." Vidar said with a firm voice as he hugs her to calm her down. 

"How can you say that? How are you so certain?" Hela questions after breaking the hug, she can't get rid of the guilt that she is feeling for killing Angrboda.

"Haa." Vidar let out a sigh.

'How do I explain to her that mother died because Norns were being bitches back then, she will definitely go revenge mode on them.'  The crown prince of Asgard thoughts.

"I had witnessed mother passing away right before my eyes, I saw everything that happened that day, I remember all of it." Vidar said, his blue eyes glowing fiercely as he stares into his sister's green eyes. 

"My eyes are special, they let me see the energies in the surrounding, they engraved everything I saw in my memory permanently. I saw how mother's life-force leaves her body and entered yours and I also saw her smile at us in her last moments. I'm certain that she did not blame you for her death as it was beyond your control. So now stop crying tears does not look good on your face." Vidar said with a gentle smile as he ruffles Hela's hair.    

After listening to her brother, she calms down a bit and stopped crying. "Why do you not hate me, Brother?" Hela said softly. Sometimes she does not understand how her brother's brain works, he should hate her, despise her for killing their mother but here he is trying to reassure her that it was not her fault, and that they all are monsters. 

"Don't be silly Hela, you are my family, and I will never hate you no matter what." Vidar replies with a grin, and he means what he said, he will never turn his back on his dear sister who he considers to be his family, no matter what happens in the future.    

Hela's eyes widen as she stares at her brother for a moment before closing her eyes. "Thank you." She utters in a barely audible voice, but Vidar heard her clearly due to his superior Aesir ears.   

"Good, now let's train to get our powers under control." Then he added with a playfulness attitude, "I heard it frown upon by people, if a princess goes around killing her own people and rumor has it that sure a princess is married outside the realm to a troll as punishment."

"Shut up brother you just ruined the moment. " Hela said with a deadpan expression on her face, Vidar just laughs in response as they begin with their training.

 

 

8