Chapter 3
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Name: ??

Race: Forest Wolf (Adult)

Size: 1.60 M

State: Normal

R: F+ Lv: 5/27

--------------------------------------------

—It seems just a little stronger than me, but because of its size it would be impossible for me to attack head on —I thought somewhat nervously

All of a sudden it turns in my direction, even though it wasn't looking directly at me, it didn't make me any less nervous.

It slowly approaches while sniffing the air, stopping right at the entrance's feet. When I thought it was going to discover me the wolf abruptly shifted its attention to another part.

I relaxed while watching the wolf move away. I take this chance to stealthily come out. When I was about to leave I heard the wolf growl at something. When I turned around I could see a kind of white rabbit with a horn on its head.

I don't know what came over me, but taking advantage that the wolf was distracted with the rabbit, I sank Poison Fang into its ankle.

[You have obtained the passive skill Stealth Attack lv1]

The wolf let out a yelp of pain upon feeling the bite. Before I could react it hit me with its paw, making me release its ankle and sending me about a meter away. Annoyed it lunged at me, but suddenly it lost balance and fell on its belly, looking back to see what happened.

Without wasting time I lunged at it. When I was close enough I jumped as best I could towards its neck with my Poison Fang, while starting to coil around its neck to strangle it. It started to frantically move its head in an attempt to make me let go. Seeing there was no result it slumped to the floor and started rolling on the ground while growling in pain.

I was already quite hurt, however I kept strangling it with all my might. It stopped to lay on its back and tried to cut me with its claws, but for some reason the rabbit jumped and kicked what seemed like pretty powerful kicks at the wolf's claws, preventing it from hurting me. Contrary to what I thought, the rabbit didn't leave and kept kicking the wolf's body in different parts. I knew that between the rabbit and I we would finish this quickly.

[You have killed a Forest Wolf]

[You have leveled up from lv3 to lv4]

[You have acquired the passive skill Strangling lv1]

[Bite has leveled up from lv2 to lv5]

[Mild Poison Fang has leveled up from lv3 to lv5]

[Low Regeneration has leveled up from lv1 to lv2]

[Low Resistance Regeneration has leveled up from lv2 to lv3]

[Flexible Scales has leveled up from lv1 to lv2]

[Fast Serpentine has leveled up from lv2 to lv3]

Thanks to the tinkling and the ethereal frames that appeared in front of me, I could confirm its death.

Since the danger had been eliminated I was feeling the tiredness and pain from the fight. I slowly release the wolf's body because of the pain I felt. While doing it I glanced at the rabbit and it didn't seem like a bad idea to try talking, thanks to the monster language I have a chance of it understanding me.

But first I'd like to see its status, just out of curiosity.

------------------------------------------

Name: ??

Race: Horned Rabbit (Juvenile)

Size: 40 cm

State: Normal

R: F Lv: 17/19

------------------------------------------

—Hey, can you understand me? —I said carefully approaching.

The rabbit looked at me confused for a moment at my words.

—Y-yes —Although it was trying to hide it, it was noticeable it was nervous and scared of my presence.

—Hey, take it easy, I'm not going to hurt you —I tried to calm it— I have no reason to hurt you —I affirmed.

—If it wasn't for you I could already be dead, I'm grateful for your help.

—N-no problem —it said more relaxed— actually you also saved me, I'm the one who should be thanking you.

Its somewhat insecure way of speaking amused me a bit.

—I have to get going now, I wouldn't want to run into this wolf's pack. You should also leave —I said while moving away.

—Hey, wait, don't go —it said getting in front of me.

—Is there a problem?

—Can I go with you? It's just that I don't have any pack to go to and it seems like you don't either. We can help each other, what do you say?

—It would be really good to have a companion, plus he's somewhat strong, surely he knows this forest well so he'd be a good companion —I thought looking him up and down.

—Alright, you can come with me.

The rabbit's eyes shone with happiness.

—Thank you very much, sir —it said with a big smile.

—Please don't call me that, my name is Arusai —I insisted.

—It's a pretty name. Mine is... —For some reason it just stared into nothing when it was going to tell me its name, its expression slowly falling more—. Sorry, I don't have a name —it said dejectedly.

—D-don't worry, I can give you one.

—You would really do that? —it said not believing my words.

—Of course, just give me a moment to think —I said a bit motivated.

—Now what name do I give it? —I thought without any idea of what to name it.

After a moment of repeating how I named myself, one came up that I liked.

—What do you think of the name, Usaki? —I said hoping it likes it.

—Usaki —it said somewhat doubtful—, not bad at all, I'll keep it.

[Do you wish to form a group with Usaki]

The sudden voice of the system surprised me. At first I didn't know what to answer.

—Yes, I want to form a group —I said somewhat doubtful.

—Hey, who are you talking to? —it asked me strangely.

—No one, sorry.

—Now that we're companions I'm going to tell you my plans buddy. I wanted to go to that mountain over there —I said pointing with my tail—. What do you think if we keep going?

—What do you mean the mountains, we can't go there! Are you crazy?!

—Hey, take it easy. Why can't we go to that place? What's the problem?

—Didn't your parents ever warn you that the closer you are to the mountains the stronger the monsters are —it scolded me— Were you born yesterday?

Its sudden aggressiveness left me quite stunned for a while.

—First of all, yes I was born yesterday and second, I don't have parents —I emphasized.

Its angry expression vanished and was replaced with one of regret.

—I'm sorry, I didn't know.

—Wait a moment —It seems it just analyzed well what I said— you're a newborn —it said incredulously— and you just killed a wolf —it said shocked.

—It wasn't exactly yesterday, but I think it's better if I say yes —I thought.

—We killed a wolf, I didn't do it alone —I reminded it—. Is there a problem with me being a newborn?

—There's no problem, at least I don't think so, but it's pretty surprising to see such a strong newborn.

—I guess not even here it's entirely normal —I thought curiously.

—Could you tell me why we can't go to the mountains?

—I already told you, that area is very dangerous. If finishing off this wolf was difficult for us, I don't even want to imagine what the monsters from that area would do to us —it explained.

—Too bad —I said disappointed— I guess we'll go another time.

—Even after what I told you, you're thinking of going to the mountain.

—I don't see why not. We can't go now because we're too weak, but later on we'll surely be capable of going without much trouble.

Usaki just stared at me quite surprised, it was as if I had just said some craziness.

—At least you didn't insist on going, although to be honest, I doubt we'll ever be capable —it said somewhat unmotivated, but with a small smile.

—I understand why you say that, but I believe we will —I tried encouraging—. Although if we don't find somewhere to rest I don't think that day will come —I said in pain.

—Rest, why? What happened t— At that moment it saw the wound the goblins gave me.

—That's why —I said nervously—. Do you know somewhere I can rest?

—I know some places, I think there's— It seemed like it was trying to remember something.

—There's one near —it said happily— you can follow me, right? —it asked worriedly.

—Don't worry, I can still keep going for quite some time —I assured it.

—Alright then, let's go.

Usaki was interrupted by the not so distant howl of several wolves.

—That's right, wolves don't tend to be very far from their pack. We better go quickly to that place. I'm sure that hearing one not respond they'll come see what's going on.

—I agree with you, we better get out of here as soon as possible —I said before we moved away from the place.

I was going a bit slow because of my wound, which meant Usaki had to go slower just so I didn't lose sight of him. Luckily just a few minutes went by before Usaki stopped in front of a tree.

—It's here —it said entering a burrow that was very well hidden—. Don't worry, it's big enough for both of us.

—I'm sure the burrow I was in belonged to it —I thought.

When I entered the burrow I realized barely any light came in, that was good enough, seeing the sun was already setting. I couldn't even see Usaki among so much darkness.

[You have acquired the passive skill Night Vision lv1]

—This comes in handy —I thought relieved to be able to see better now. Now I knew where Usaki was, although I could only see a blurry white blob.

—What's up Arusai? It's like you can't see me.

—That's the thing, I can barely see you among all this darkness.

—I had forgotten you were just born, so you shouldn't have developed night vision yet.

[Night Vision has leveled up from lv1 to lv2]

—The adaptable skill has been very useful to me —I thought going further into the burrow.

—That doesn't matter now. What I want is to rest —I said getting comfortable in a corner.

I regretted not being able to see Usaki's expression, but I'm sure it's somewhat surprised at my lack of interest. In fact I'd swear I heard a small laugh.

—Rest, Arusai —it said somewhat tiredly as it lay down in the other corner.

—You too —I didn't know why, but I felt a strange relief having someone to trust. Before I realized it, I fell asleep.

0