Chapter 4
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Low Regeneration has leveled up from lv2 to lv3]

[Adaptable has leveled up from lv1 to lv2]

—Arusai, wake up —A voice told me.

I start waking up when I hear someone calling me and shaking my body. While stretching as best I could, I thought about how strange it seemed that I had already gotten used to my new name. Upon opening my eyes I could see Usaki in front of me.

—That's right, Usaki —I thought lazily.

—What's up? Is there a problem?

—The truth is there isn't one —he admitted.

—Then why did you wake me up? —I said a bit annoyed.

—Because we have to go —he said walking to the exit of the burrow.

Since I was half-asleep it took me a while to process his words.

—Wait, why do we have to leave? —I said confused.

—Because even though this burrow is hidden, monsters could perceive our scent —he said seriously before leaving.

With the thought that he would leave me behind, I hurried out of the burrow, only to find Usaki outside waiting for me.

—I know I said we had to leave, but there's no need to rush out so hurriedly either —he said mockingly.

Seeing he wasn't going to leave me, I quickly regained my composure and put on my best smile.

—Sorry about that, I got a little anxious —I tried to excuse myself.

—Okay —he said not very convinced— although it's not so bad that you rushed, the wolves could still be prowling around here —he said paying attention to his surroundings.

When he seemed sure there was nothing he started moving forward. Because of earlier, I hesitated a bit before starting to follow him.

—Could you tell me why we can't stay in that burrow? —I said curiously.

—If we stay too long in a burrow we'll leave our scent, which would leave us almost exposed to other monsters.

—That makes a lot of sense —I thought somewhat surprised.

—I know it makes sense, but how did you learn that?

—I learned the hard way —he said as he seemed to remember something—. I spent a whole week sleeping in the same burrow and when I least expected it, there was a monster waiting for me. Luckily I was faster than it and managed to escape.

—Since you just hatched, is there anything you want to know about this forest? —He asked looking me in the eyes.

—Now that you mention it, yes I have several questions.

—Like what? —he asked with interest.

—Does this forest have a name?

—Of course it does —he said almost mocking me—, its name is Ritsu.

—That's an interesting name for a forest. And how long have you been alive?

—I'm about 6 months old.

—You're younger than I thought.

—Says the snake that's barely two days old —he said laughing.

Unable to resist I also let out some laughs.

—I had forgotten that little detail —I thought.

—But that's being young, right? —he asked curiously.

—Yes. In fact I'm still very young.

—But if you're still young, why are you alone? I don't know much about your species, but I don't think they're the type to abandon one of their own because— The more he talked the slower Usaki's pace became, until he completely stopped at my last question.

—I think I touched on something sensitive —I thought worriedly.

—Although there's no problem if you don't want to tell me, after all they're your business.

—No. You need to know this —he said with a determined yet downcast voice—. That's right, those of my species don't tend to leave the young to fend for themselves, but to them I'm filth.

—What do you mean by that? —I asked curiously and wanting not to know the answer.

—Just because of a stupid fight —he said almost whispering—. Just because of a stupid fight, in which I didn't fight like they wanted, just because of that they kick me out of the pack and leave me to fend for myself! —He let out all the rage he had inside.

His gaze was fixed on the floor along with his heavy breathing. I wanted to say something but didn't know the right words.

—I'm really sorry, but it's just that.

—Don't apologize. With what I've heard I can see why you're so angry.

—It was still unnecessary. They could take us down at any moment. I just made it easier —He was barely managing not to show his sadness.

—Oh come on, I don't think there are any wolves around here.

—I wish that were the case. We better move fast —he said before continuing forward.

I could only watch him with a sad expression before catching up to him. The atmosphere was gloomy the whole time. I knew this couldn't continue like this, it'd be very dangerous if something attacks us right now.

—Hey Usaki —When I tried to talk he turned around and jumped, allowing me to see a wolf land right where we were before.

We landed a bit badly but quickly recovered. Without letting us rest it lunged at us. With some difficulty I dodged the attack and to take advantage of the opening I go for one of its legs, without much success in my goal before receiving a claw swipe that sent me flying into a tree. The wolf came at me to bite me, but before it could Usaki intercepted it with a kick straight to the face, knocking it to the floor. Without stopping he gave it another kick to one of the wolf's front legs, having to retreat because it got up quickly and attacked him, but before it could continue its attack, I lunged at it and sank my Poison Fangs to start coiling its neck. It started desperately shaking but suddenly stopped and began howling.

—It's calling for reinforcements —I thought alarmed as I added more pressure.

Usaki was alarmed by the howl and with a jump gave several kicks to its snout, managing to silence it and knock it down.

I was very surprised by the strength and skill he was showing, but for now I put those thoughts aside to add even more strength while Usaki gave it kick after kick.

[You have killed a Forest Wolf]

[You have leveled up from lv5 to lv6]

[You have acquired the title of strangler]

[The skill Strangling has leveled up from lv1 to lv2]

[Bite has leveled up from lv5 to lv6]

[Mild Poison Fangs has leveled up from lv5 to lv7]

[Flexible Scales has leveled up from lv2 to lv3]

Upon seeing the notifications I moved away from the wolf's body. When I direct my gaze at Usaki I notice he is staring into nothingness with a confused expression.

—Is there a problem, Usaki? —I said approaching.

—Yes, no —he said doubtfully—. The truth is this isn't considered a problem, but it's quite strange.

—What isn't considered a problem? —I ask with some curiosity.

—These floating words —he said pointing ahead—, can you believe they say I can already evolve?

—Wait, you can also see the notifications?

—That I can see the noti wha— He wasn't surprised not to know what it was— anyway. How do you know about these things? —Upon hearing his question I blanked for a moment, I knew I couldn't tell him I used to be human and the conversation with the god.

—That's something I was born with and when I named you they asked me if I wanted to form a group with you, I said yes without knowing it would give you the ability.

—And what exactly does this ability do? I'm curious.

—I still don't fully know everything it can do, but as you've seen it tells you when you level up, which in summary is what measures your strength —It took me a while to explain to him what it could do, but in the end it seems like he understood most of it.

—It's a pretty interesting ability, but can I really already evolve?

—I haven't been able to evolve so I wouldn't know how to tell you, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Usaki seemed to doubt a little, but it seems like he decided because he touched the air and stared at something, probably options appeared to him.

—I want to evolve into a light rabbit —After a while he said something I didn't catch.

When I least expected it, Usaki began to glow and change. It was brief but the changes were noticeable. When he finished his process Usaki observed the changes in his body. They might not be many, but he surely must feel different without his horn. Just to check I wanted to look at his status.

--------------------------------------------

Name: Usaki

Race: Light Rabbit (Juvenile)

Size: 80cm

State: Normal

R: H+ Lv: 1/32

--------------------------------------------

—I can't see his stats, but I'm sure his strength has increased quite a bit —I thought somewhat disappointed at not being able to see his stats.

—How do you feel, Usaki?

—Apart from feeling much stronger —he said making a fist with his paw—, I'm quite hungry and thirsty —Before I could say anything I heard his stomach growl.

—I guess evolving takes a bit out of you —I thought.

—I suppose you know how to find food for yourself, but what will you do about your thirst? I think it'd be dangerous to go to a water source —I said remembering my experience being near a lake.

—Don't worry, I've got it covered —he said relaxed—. Aren't you hungry? The wolf's body is there so you can satisfy yourself. It's likely we won't run into another monster for a while.

I hadn't thought much about it, but now that he mentioned it the wolf was starting to look quite appetizing.

—The truth is I am, give me a moment —I said approaching the wolf's body to bite it and tear off a piece of meat.

I still didn't know how I was able to chew being a snake, but so as not to overthink it I took that thought out of my head, enjoying the wolf's tough yet delicious meat.

—The day's barely starting and we've already killed a wolf. My future with Usaki is looking quite eventful —I thought with a small smile.

0