Chapter 5
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

—Don't you want some, Arusai? —said Usaki offering a fruit that looked like a mix between an apple and a grapefruit.

—No thanks, it looks appetizing but I'm sure I can't digest that —I said resisting eating some.

—As you wish —he said before biting into the juicy fruit. I wanted to take a bite so badly to see how it tasted, but the risk that this new body can't digest it is too risky.

—By the way Usaki, where exactly are you going to find a water source where there aren't many monsters nearby?

—That's impossible —he said taking another bite.

—Then what will you do? Because right now I don't feel the need to quench my thirst.

—I told you it's impossible to find a water source without running into other monsters, but I have a place to quench my thirst without having to be too exposed to danger.

I didn't know how to respond to that. Would that even be possible? If it's so safe wouldn't other monsters also go to that place, making it a dangerous spot and so on. I came out of my thoughts upon hearing a small laugh.

—Don't worry, I haven't survived this long for no reason —he said before starting to move forward.

With some doubt I go with him. I don't know where he'll take me but I'm sure I can trust him. While I slithered behind Usaki I thought of conversation topics. The only thing that came to mind was asking him about what he lived before being kicked out, which wasn't a very good option.

When I was still thinking of a topic to talk about, what I had in front of me took all my attention. A beautiful, extensive green prairie, that to my surprise was teeming.

—Here we are, the slime prairie. Most of them don't tend to move from their spot, so they're a good water source.

While admiring the landscape and what I'm sure were other monsters on the other side of the meadow, when I properly analyzed Usaki's words I was quite confused. Putting my gaze on Usaki, who grabbed a nearby slime and started sucking the slime.

I was shocked watching him leave the poor slime with half its mass.

—Don't you want some? —he said leaving the slime on the floor.

—N-no thanks —I said distrustfully—. Are you sure that doesn't have side effects? —Usaki let out a small laugh when he heard my comment.

—I know it looks weird. I thought the same the first time I saw it, but as long as the slime doesn't attack everything will be fine.

—I hope so —I felt quite relieved not feeling thirsty at the moment. I had no desire whatsoever to suck a slime—. By the way Usaki, what's on the other side of the meadow are other monsters, right?

—Yes. Like I said it's impossible to find a water source without running into other monsters, but in this meadow only those who find it too risky to get close to a river come, and it's like a pact to not attack those who come to this meadow, so we can be at ease.

—Seriously, the monsters don't attack each other in this place, that's impressive —I thought.

—How do you know other monsters won't attack you? —I said curiously.

—I learned the hard way. That day I thought it'd be my last —he said somewhat nostalgically.

—You say it with too much tranquility for supposedly almost dying.

—I exaggerated a bit, it was just a scare. To my surprise it had no intention of harming me.

—And what if you run into it outside the meadow? I'm sure it wouldn't last.

—In fact no. We're friends.

—Really? —I said shocked.

—Actually not really. It just took a liking to me and according to its words it'd feel bad eating me after our conversations.

—If it took a liking to you, why didn't you ask it to be your companion? —It didn't make much sense to me finding him alone if he already knew another monster.

—It just doesn't let me accompany it. It never gives me many more reasons when I ask.

—And what kind of monster is it?

—It's hard to describe —Seeing how he went quiet I can conclude it's a somewhat strange monster— if you get the chance you'll see for yourself.

—The truth is I don't know if I want that to happen —I said skeptically.

—Don't worry, it won't attack you seeing you're with me. Plus it wouldn't risk attacking two monsters at once.

—Remember that only not very strong monsters come here and I think you could beat some of them.

—If they're goblins I think I can beat them, of course not many at the same time.

—Wait, you've come across goblins? More importantly, how do you know what a goblin is? —His question caught me off guard. I had forgotten I was recently born.

—Remember my ability reveals the names of monsters to me —Luckily this was an excuse that was true.

—I had forgotten —he said not believing much in my excuse.

—Anyway, I think it's time we get going —To my surprise he started heading towards the forest.

—So soon? —I said somewhat strangely before going after him.

—Yes. Since we killed a wolf around this area it'd be best to go to the burrow somewhat far from this area —he explained.

—But we'll have to change burrows tomorrow.

—Yes we will, but I'm sure you'll get used to it quickly —Although he said it so calmly, I didn't feel confident in his words. I know he's been doing that so as not to take risks and survive, but I don't think I can get used to it.

—What if we do something different? —I proposed to him.

—No. Any place we could stay is already occupied. I've really thought about it —he said somewhat offended.

—Of course, any place in this forest is already occupied, but what do you say about outside the forest?

—What do you mean outside the forest? Explain yourself.

—I mean what if we leave this forest and look for another place so we don't have to go from burrow to burrow —For a moment it seemed like he was going to answer me, but he stopped and thought seriously about my proposal.

—I don't know. I don't know the forest in detail and wouldn't be able to guide us to an exit —he said not very convinced.

—We could go in a random direction and try our luck —I tried convincing him.

—The truth is I don't see a good reason to take that risk. Having to change burrows may not be the best, but it's worked for me so far and I don't think there's reason to change it now.

—But —Before I could finish, Usaki turned to me and jumped, allowing me to see a wolf land right where we were a moment ago.

—I only intended to kill the purple one, but since you're getting involved you leave us no choice —That last part puzzled me quite a bit, but it made sense when two smaller wolves appeared, leaving us completely surrounded.

—We're too close to the meadow to even think about ambushing. The three of us could barely feed you. Are we the only monsters in the area? —remarked Usaki quite irritated.

—That stupid meadow. I hope they do something about it soon —said one of the smaller wolves.

—Now's not the time to talk about this —the one who seems like the leader growled— let's take care of them quickly.

Before I could properly comprehend the situation my body reacted and was on the defensive from the beginning.

—Take care of the one who defended him. I'll take care of avenging our companions —At that moment I understood. They were looking for me for the stupid reason of having killed one of theirs.

On pure instinct I lunged at its neck with Poison Fang, but not being fast enough I barely grazed it. It took advantage of this to claw swipe me sending me against a tree.

—Arusai! —I heard Usaki shout worriedly. I barely managed to recover when I saw the wolf approach. Not having enough time to get out of the way, I waited until its paw was close to bite it and inject my venom. I barely managed to neutralize the blow, but I endured and didn't let go.

I was shaken from side to side. My vision was extremely blurry, preventing me from seeing what I was being smashed against. The pain was such that I had to let go. Flying through the air for a bit before heavily falling to the ground. I still wasn't able to fully recover. I didn't even know which direction the wolf was in.

—You really are a nuisance —I tensed up when I heard the wolf's voice. I was surprised seeing it limping towards me.

—I left you limping —I said proudly.

—If I don't manage to finish you off they will —it said already in front of me.

—Too bad they'll have to do what you couldn't —It seems my words angered it, because it ignored the pain in its leg to bite me. Because of this its attack was slow enough for me to pass under its snout and coil its neck to start squeezing with all my might.

Since my venom was already coursing through its body, I could focus on my grip. Even while limping the wolf tried cutting me with its claws. Whenever it was about to make a deep cut it had to support itself because of the pain.

—You know that with my death they'll only be more set on finding you —it said weakly and almost breathless. I simply ignored its words and squeezed harder.

[You have killed a Forest Wolf Leader]

[You have leveled up from lv5 to lv9]

[Mild Poison Fang has leveled up from lv7 to lv10]

[Mild Poison Fang has evolved to Poison Fang lv1]

[Fast Serpentine has leveled up from lv3 to lv4]

[Low Regeneration has leveled up from lv3 to lv5]

[Resistance Regeneration has leveled up from lv3 to lv5]

[You have acquired a Resistance Pain Resistance lv1]

The wolf's body fell without any resistance to the floor. In pain from the cuts it managed to make me. Having released the body I look around for Usaki, seeing him approach quite worried.

—Those wounds look bad —he said worriedly—. There's a burrow somewhat nearby. Do you think you can make it there?

—I think I can make it —I said in pain.

Although the time it took us to reach the burrow was short, it felt like an eternity to me. As soon as I entered the burrow I fell asleep.

After surely having slept for hours I wake up in pain. I don't feel as much as when I fell asleep, but the pain is still there.

—Arusai, are you feeling better? —Poor Usaki, how long has he been awake waiting for me?

—I'm better. Some parts still hurt me, but I definitely feel better —Since I was awake I could talk about that.

—You're still not convinced we have to leave this forest —I said in a serious tone.

It seems my words took him by surprise. He thought for quite a while. He knew I was partly right.

—I don't see the need to leave the forest —he said with some doubt in his own words.

—I know you have affection for this forest, but with those wolves after us this place is dangerous in and of itself. It only becomes more so. Because you didn't hear it, but that wolf told me his pack is coming for us —To my surprise Usaki still didn't seem entirely convinced. It must be difficult to abandon the place you were born.

—I don't like the idea, but we have no choice —he said dejectedly— the worst is they want to do something to the meadow.

—Another reason more to get out of here —His gaze seemed to change a bit when he heard my words.

—Alright, we'll escape this forest —Although his voice sounded more confident, his expression seemed pensive. As if he was still thinking about leaving the forest. I was happy he accepted my idea, but that look somehow left me speechless—. Arusai, are you okay?

—Yes. Sorry, I was thinking about something —I said turning my attention to Usaki—. We can't delay any longer. Let's go —While we moved forward I felt somewhat uncomfortable. An irritation inside me, but with the current situation I preferred to ignore it.

0