Chapter 6
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

—You know, we can still go back —he said with his gaze on the floor.

—We've already come a long way to go back —His sudden proposal came out of nowhere— I know this journey can be dangerous, however everything has gone quite well so far.

—But we don't know how long that can last. Where we're going could be even more dangerous than the surroundings of the mountain —he said worriedly.

—You worry too much. I'm sure we can beat any monster that attacks us —I said confidently— I may be exaggerating a bit, but it's better than thinking something might appear and kill us —Even with that Usaki didn't seem very convinced and I partly understand.

—I think you're the one who's too relaxed —he said annoyed.

It bothered me a bit to see him like that, but he had to understand this was for the best. I couldn't live hiding. Even though his aura and gaze told me many things, I'm sure some are insults towards me. Suddenly I see Usaki's ears start to move.

—I think we have a big problem —Before I could ask what he meant, I saw a kind of wild boar coming at us. Usaki moved to the side, while I was met by one of its two large tusks. To my luck they were curved, breaking some of my scales before being sent flying several meters.

I got up as fast as I could, but the boar was already in front of me, being deflected by a kick that for some reason was wrapped in a yellow light. I took advantage of its disorientation to get close and climb up one of its horns. I wasn't sure I could pierce its skin, but another part of its body. It seems the boar was already reoriented because it stared right at me. Before it could do anything I bit one of its eyes with Poison Fang, making it let out a kind of scream.

It started violently shaking its head. In one of those shakes it hit me with the spike-like horns on the sides of its nose, sending me flying. When I stopped I realized I had brought its eye with me. When I looked at the boar I noticed it was looking at me with hatred. I could see a kind of very thin red smoke seeming to come out of its body, coming at me with more speed. I managed to dodge it because Usaki managed to deflect it a bit and it didn't seem to be going in a very good direction, crashing into a tree. When it took a few steps back I could see the boar's mark on the trunk.

When it turned its attention back to me, I realized its head was bleeding, which explained quite well why it seemed to barely be standing. Suddenly I felt something pierce my body.

—Arusai! —he said worriedly and somewhat angry.

When I saw what pierced my body I was surprised to see an arrow. When I looked in the direction it came from I could see a goblin preparing another arrow. I remembered the boar when I heard it approaching. I could only take the charge head on. I didn't even know when I landed. I didn't even manage to fully get up when I feel another arrow pierce my side. I barely glanced at the goblin when Usaki ripped its head off with a kick. I tensed up not hearing the boar. When I turned around I saw it lying on the floor. It took a few seconds before it stopped breathing.

[You have killed an Inos]

[You have leveled up from lv9 to lv16]

[Poison Fang has leveled up from lv1 to lv3]

[Fast Serpentine has leveled up from lv4 to lv5]

[Bite has leveled up from lv5 to lv6]

[Low Resistance Regeneration has leveled up from lv5 to lv8]

[Pain Resistance has leveled up from lv1 to lv3]

[You have unlocked your evolution]

[Do you wish to evolve?]

I knew the ethereal frames were there, but I was unable to distinguish their words. When I looked at my surroundings I saw a yellow blur approaching, but before it got closer I passed out.

[Low Regeneration has leveled up from lv5 to lv7]

—Everything hurts —I didn't even have the energy to open my eyes. I just wanted to lie there doing nothing.

—Arusai, you're awake —Hearing Usaki's happy voice gave me a reason to open my eyes, seeing I was apparently in a burrow.

—Thanks for bringing me somewhere safe. I didn't expect to faint so suddenly.

—Of course you're going to faint after taking so much damage —he said somewhat angry— but I'm glad you didn't die —He was right. What was I expecting after taking so much damage—. It's barely been over a day and you've almost died. Do you still think this is a good idea?

—It's not that it's a good idea, it's what had to be done. If we had stayed a pack of wolves surely would have killed us —I affirmed.

—But now you almost died. What if we come across other monsters like those? —he refuted.

—Don't worry, I just have to evolve so I'm not at such a disadvantage against monsters.

----------------------------------------------

[Evolution Options]

Attack Lerion (Infant): H-

One of the most common variants of the Lerion. Known for their strength and combat ability, but even so they tend to stand out little among their species.

Defensive Lerion (Infant): H-

One of the most common variants of the Lerion. Known for their defense and endurance, even with these characteristics they stand out little among their species.

Poisonous Lerion (Infant): H-

One of the most common variants of the Lerion. Known for their poison and speed, they are the weakest of their species.

Lethal Defensive Lerion (Infant): H

Uncommon Lerion variant. Recognized for its great defense and poison. Adventurers recommend not having long fights with this monster and if there is no other option, to preferably attack with magic, thanks to its ability it's capable of corroding anything its body touches.

----------------------------------------------

Usaki's fixed gaze was covered by an ethereal frame that upon closer inspection I realized were my evolution options. That's when I remembered that before passing out several notifications came to me.

—Why are you looking at me like that? —he said uncomfortable. Reminding myself Usaki couldn't see the frame.

—Sorry —I said nervously— I was checking my options so I can evolve.

—Wait, since when can you evolve?

—I guess I got it from killing that monster —I concluded— it must have leveled me up a lot.

—Do you really think evolving will be enough? —He was right. Even if I evolve nothing ensures we won't come across something more dangerous than the current monsters.

—Maybe not, that's why I wanted to ask you to teach me to use magic.

—But I don't know how to use magic.

—What do you mean you don't know how to use it? —I said incredulously— I saw your paw glow when you attacked that monster.

—You mean when I attacked that Inos. That wasn't magic —For some reason Usaki's voice sounded dejected when he mentioned it wasn't magic.

—But if it's not magic, what is it exactly? —I said curiously.

—The truth is I don't have a name for this. They never told me if it had one. I just knew that because of this I wasn't very attuned to magic —he said melancholic.

He had a lowered gaze the whole time and by the tone of his voice I could guess he was remembering bad experiences. I didn't know why this bothered me, however I didn't let my annoyance show.

—It's not magic, but it seems useful enough to survive. I'd love for you to teach me to use it —Usaki's eyes lit up, but that brightness was very short-lived.

—It's better I don't teach you. It may ruin your attunement to magic.

—If this facilitates survival in this forest I don't have much of a problem.

—Alright, but you'll see I warned you —he said seriously—. First evolve, it'll surely make it easier for you.

—Make what easier in what way? —I asked skeptically.

—So you can withstand more pain —His comment left me quite confused. What exactly was he going to do that I need to withstand pain?

—It worries me to ask. The good thing is I have a good evolution to withstand pain —I smiled at him before touching the ethereal screen with my tail. To my surprise nothing happened.

—How did you evolve?

—You have to say what you want to evolve into. I don't know why you're trying to touch it.

—M-my mistake —I said nervously—. I want to evolve into a Lethal Defensive Lerion —There was a short awkward silence before I started glowing. I could feel myself growing and getting stronger, along with something coming out at the tip of my snout and the upper sides of my head. Unfortunately the pleasant feeling didn't last long. I could see what was growing on the tip of my nose was a small curved horn.

{Your evolution is complete. You have acquired new skills. Skills have leveled up}

[You have acquired the active skill Scale Reinforcement lv1]

[You have acquired the passive skill Steel Scales lv1]

[You have acquired the passive skill Increased Resistance lv1]

[You have acquired the special skill Acid Body lv1]

[You have acquired a resistance Acid Immunity]

[You have acquired the title Poisonous Reptile]

[Poison Fang has leveled up from lv3 to lv5]

[Tail Whip has leveled up from lv2 to lv4]

[Headbutt has leveled up from lv1 to lv2]

[Bite has leveled up from lv6 to lv7]

[Adaptable has leveled up from lv2 to lv4]

[Low Regeneration has leveled up from lv7 to lv10]

[Low Regeneration has evolved to Regeneration lv1]

[Low Resistance Regeneration has leveled up from lv8 to lv10]

[Low Resistance Regeneration has evolved to Resistance Regeneration lv2]

[Mild Poison Resistance has leveled up from lv1 to lv8]

—I didn't want to tell you, but your evolution withstanding blows well won't be of little or no use —His words ran down my spine like an icy wind.

—What exactly do you mean it won't be of any use? —I asked nervously, ignoring all the ethereal frames.

—It'll be easier for you to feel it yourself than for me to explain it.

—You know what magic is, so I suppose you're able to feel it, right?

—I'm not able to feel it —I said embarrassed. My response seemed to confuse Usaki a bit.

—You know what magic is yet you can't feel it. That makes no sense —He had a good point and I didn't know what excuse to give—. Anyway, explain it to me later. It'll be harder for you, so we better start now —Luckily he doesn't want to touch on that now.

—And where are you going to teach me?

—Right here. I don't think there's a better place right now. Now close your eyes and try to feel the energy of your surroundings.

—Just like that? Isn't that too rushed? —At my words Usaki shook his head.

—It'd be good to go a little slower, but I don't think we can afford that luxury —Without saying more, I closed my eyes and started concentrating on my surroundings.

I didn't have a single wound on my body, but I felt great pain while trying to unleash that energy that was at rest.

—Come on Arusai. That you're still keeping your concentration with the pain you must be feeling is a great sign —Even with Usaki's encouragement it was difficult for me, but there was something that made this easier for me.

[Spiritual Resistance has leveled up from lv2 to lv3]

The pain was attenuated enough for me to concentrate a bit better, allowing me to know the energy I felt was trapped inside something. It took me a while to think how I could unleash that energy. So I tried increasing the intensity of that energy. At first nothing happened until I started feeling that barrier breaking.

[Spiritual Resistance has leveled up from lv3 to lv4]

I think that because the spiritual resistance leveled up I didn't pass out and it allowed me to continue the process. I kept weakening what was retaining the energy. I could feel my consciousness dissipating little by little.

[You have acquired the Unique Skill Igneous Ardenya Source lv1]

[You have acquired the Special Skill Ardenya Control lv1]

[You have acquired Mild Fire Resistance lv1]

Suddenly I felt a wave of energy run through my body. All the weakness I felt vanished. It felt as if I had never been about to faint. Upon opening my eyes I could notice the energy in the environment, although it looked blurry I knew it was there.

—It pleasantly surprised me that you didn't fall unconscious —he said with a noticeable relief in his voice—. Now that you can use it, it'd be best for you to learn to control it.

—Please tell me that won't hurt —I didn't want to have to feel that horrible pain all over my body. Apparently Usaki found my comment funny.

—Don't worry, you already did the hardest part —he assured me.

—I hope so —I said skeptically.

0