10. Repaying Kindness
857 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Eight o’clock Saturday morning when Sena finally opened her eyes.

Today she booked an appointment at the spa to get a full-body treatment. Coming back from the beach and her already dry skin began to have cracks and it was agonizing to look at. The automatic drapes pocketed back into the walls after pressing the button basking the apartment in a warm colour of morning sunshine. 

It could have been perfect if she didn’t see the devastation on her balcony. The flowers and shrubs on her terrace have to be replanted, she will have to call her mother’s contact later to rearrange it. She made a simple ham sandwich and a glass of orange juice for breakfast, then opened the television. 

She remembered in the lifestyle channel there is a show about luxury homes abroad starring an international real estate agent. Aside from it, world-renowned interior designers would also come and grace an exclusive interview for the show. A lot of insightful lessons and information can be picked from there that she can apply to her career, business is continual learning and she loves to stock little bits of information. Who knew when it would be useful.

Sena is different among children her age, her comprehension and retention combined with her eagerness to know more paved the way for her to accelerate several levels but as soon as she graduated she felt at a loss. When Linda took her under her wing to learn about business she jumped in straight away excited to explore. Before she knew it she had sold over twenty houses in just a year and received her first award. 

House owners can sell their properties by themselves but if they want to reach out to many potential buyers they need a wider market, that’s where their company comes in. Diamond Realtors has a lot of contact in the community, properties will sell faster if they have been advertised properly and tweaked to suit the current style and taste of the buyers. Their agents are more than ready to handle these jobs and Sena is very confident about that because it was Leo and Linda that handpicked them from over thousands of both old and new agents.     

Sena sat on the couch and flipped through the channels but she couldn’t find the program she likes, instead she saw a different show. 

The lifestyle channel is currently airing the daily life of some of the rich children of this generation. Her forehead creased. 

I almost forgot, there was also something like this. 

There are still ten minutes before the show ends and she endured until the real estate show started. On the widescreen, the camera pans over the million-dollar customized supercars lined inside the wide garage of a businessman’s son. The loud colours of red, neon and silver were all put to one place it was hard to look at. One car tops the other like they were in some sort of competition, the only thing missing is a bimbo in high heels standing next to it.

Next, the scene shifts over to the wealthy son’s group of friends playing in the pool like worriless heirs. Bottles after bottles of expensive wines lined by the edge, babes in bikinis lying on doughnut floaties. Sena paused, torn in between swallowing her sandwich or puking it out after seeing Asha and Zhang Min’s faces holding champagne glasses. 

My golly, they’re everywhere! 

“Truth to be told, drinking something ice cold while dipping in the pool would guarantee you’d pee in the pool,” she commented.

Right after she said that the host asked the house owner how he gets to know so many pretty girls. 

The interviewed businessman's son quoted. “Sweet talks? No. Charm? Maybe. But most of the time I do nothing. As soon as they see my bankbook they jump right into my car.”

Sena made an ugly face. She had never heard anything so outlandish before. What does he even do with the darn passbook, flashing it on people's faces? 

She no longer wonders why most people have a huge misconception about rich children. Whenever they hear ‘rich’ they would think about spoilt, self-entitled, used to having their way and spending-money-like-water kind of children. Adding more to the negative image are news about wealthy teens getting DUI, car racing on public roads, and nightclub fights. Sena, even in her most unbridled days did not act like a despot.

“My parents said the reason why they work so hard is so that I can have a good life and all these good things. I’m so very thankful for that…” one girl said proudly making Sena speechless. 

The girl missed the whole point sadly. Well, she cannot blame them for that kind of thinking, who gave them lazy parents? They weren’t enlightened to understand the value of things earned from hard work. All these coddlings wouldn’t do them any good, she had seen it. 

Another girl spoke, “There are people out there who do not understand our world. Some of them are jealous and they try to fit us into the norm that they see…” 

Can someone hire these kids a life coach? 

What’s even more unbelievable is that Asha and Zhang Min who consider themselves swans among the ugly ducklings would feel so proud to be included in this circus of a show. 

In every country, the ultra-rich tend to stay under the radar to avoid envy. Making money in business is a passion, not because they wanted to bathe on it, her late mother said. 

People above also want to live normal lives and they won’t be able to get that if the media is always on their back. Besides, none of their younger generations would dare do something so daring like the one the TV as it is considered disgraceful and uncouth.

Nobody starts being old money, Sena’s forefathers were the same. Wealth has to be earned bit by bit, so is social influence and grace. It is through time and various interactions that a person’s rough edges are slowly scraped and painstakingly polished giving way to class and sophistication that is later inherited by the young generations. And it was only made possible because those people are willing to endure and learn. 

Her eyelid twitched seeing how those bikini babies started flaunting on their credit card bills in just one week. Some people may be jealous, but none thought about where the money comes from. There are no inexhaustible resources, you have to replenish at some point.

Sena drank the last bit of orange juice on her hand and burped. This show doesn’t have that much attention for now, but in a few months this particular program showing the life of the rich will top the trending charts due to the growing curiosity of the audience. New faces will be introduced, the show will have a total overhaul featuring ‘sophisticated’ rich children. Just remembering it gives her hives. 

Thankfully, the horrendous episode ended. 

When it was near the time for her appointment she went to the lounge to wait for the valet to bring her car around.

“Hey, Pat.” She greeted the thirty-year-old doorman. “Congratulations on your new baby!”

Patrick was surprised how someone like her knew about it? 

“Thank you, Miss Sena.” He replied beaming with glee. 

“How’s everything?”

“Well, we have a fat little daughter nine pounds and loves to cry. She’s a ball of fluff and has adorable big eyes.”

“I bet she’s going to be a beauty.” She said. 

Who doesn’t want to hear their child being praised? Patrick felt flattered. 

A few years from now that baby girl will turn into one of the most promising young chefs. 

During her stay in that old apartment, Sena became neighbours with Patrick and his family. Because of that girl, Sena was still able to eat good food from time to time. Patrick’s life was a blissful one, but he died earlier than her only because of simple pneumonia. 

“How many days is it now?” 

Patrick scratched his head. “A little more than two weeks.”

“Listen,” Sena pretended to mull over it for a while. “Do you know Babyland? I have a friend who works over there and she gave me a card for Linda. I still have two more with me but you see, I’m not married and obviously, I don’t even have a baby and other relatives.”

Patrick was puzzled. 

“Here.” Sena plucked out the gold card inside her purse. 

The doorman looked a little spooked. She’s giving it to him? He hasn't opened his mouth for a while. Babyland is a well-known shop dedicated only to mothers and their children. This is where you’ll find the most delicate and safest products from head to toe for your little offspring, and she’s casually handing him a card? Patrick embarrassedly rubbed his nose. Having a card for a simple worker like him means a lot but this is Miss Sena.

“Patrick you lucky daddy, go take it. Miss Sena said she wouldn’t be able to use it.” One of the security personnel said. Excited for him. He doesn’t have a wife and a kid yet, but which man doesn’t want to give the best for their family? He would be ecstatic. 

Sena nodded, “Don’t worry everything is free as long as your baby is under five. From milk, diapers, paediatricians everything, just don’t lose the card.”

Isn’t this kind of thing only lands on people who are very very lucky? Last time he checked, he was not. Just this morning a bird pooped on his head and his mother-in-law nagged his wife to tears. 

Patrick sweated profusely inside his maroon uniform. He barely knows any of the VIPs here but he is sure none of them would hand over an opportunity like this. He only met Miss Sena a few times because she barely goes down. Her greeting him is already a privilege but giving him this? 

His eyes suddenly felt sour.  

“It’s not against policy to give staff gifts. Ask the manager,” she assured, taking his hand and placing it on his palms. “There are only nine of these and I got three so you better make the best of it.”

Embarrassed, Patrick’s hand shook. “M-Miss, I don’t know what to say.”

“Then don’t. Just make sure to bring your wife and baby when you visit. You’ll love it!” 

It was more than that. Having this card can cut their expenses in half. He could finally earn a bit more cash to move to a different place. His wife suffered enough from her family.  

The valet is pulling up with her car in the front so Sena hastily bids goodbye, not giving him a chance to utter his gratitude.

“Aw, you lucky guy!” The men from security clapped his back. “Who knew our youngest resident could be so sweet?”

Patrick looked at the shiny gold card in his hands and felt hot in his chest. True indeed, the young lady is sweet. 

Leaving the tower, Sena took her white Ghibli driving up to a mountain spa half an hour away from the busy city. The road grew quieter with only a few sounds coming from cars using the exclusive road. 

On her way up Leo rang her mobile to check on her. Again.

“Tsk, tsk I wonder if you two are relaxing or just sitting in the corner somewhere counting the hours.” She said, clicking her tongue on the handsfree. 

“We are relaxed, don’t worry. We are about to go up the mountain to see the waterfall here on the island. What about you?”

Sena looked around and was thankful for the phone call to break the spooky quietness. “Oh what a coincidence, I’m going up to the spa today to make myself presentable.”

“Going up? You’re not using the ones in Paragon?”  

“Nope, I decided I needed fresh air.”

Leo approved of that and praised her dotingly. 

“By the way, big brother, I remember Chang’an is taking a Film Production course. Might he know someone good at photography and cinematography?”  

“That kid has a lot of contacts, I’ll mention it to him. What do you need them for?”

She laughed mysteriously, “It’s a secret for now.”  

It’s good that Leo will speak to Chang’an first, she’s a little hesitant to ask him outright because she used to be a monster to him when they were little. The call ended when she reached the premises of the said spa. 

Entering the driveway she was greeted by thick canopies of fruit trees. The smell of mangoes and citrus mixed with fresh mountain air cleansed her lungs. 

Inside, a young woman wearing wrap-around clothing, about twenty-five years of age meticulously prepared the massage bed when another woman with a sharp chin suddenly entered. 

“The manager said I will be the one who will attend to Mrs Luz today. Your shift is over and you can go home now.”

“I didn’t ask for a day off.” The woman looked lost. 

“You didn’t but the manager is giving you a day off.” 

Why? Was it because she made a mistake and mixed up their client's treatment menu? She is new here but she studied very hard not to make errors. The body creams and treatment recipes have to be measured accurately to avoid complaints, even damage. She was sure she took note of it.

The woman with a sharp chin frowned seeing that she still did not move. “Be thankful the manager took pity and didn’t fire you. Get out of here before the guests come.”

Even before the other woman could step out, the manager came in a hurry.

“April are you there?” the middle-aged plump woman called.

“Here,” the teary-eyed woman answered.

Pointy chin smiled smugly behind her. She’s new but she already snagged two of her patrons just because she looks a little pretty? Serves her right. 

“The private hut on the west side especially requested you to be her therapist.” The manager sputtered, catching her breath.

How on earth did that young lady know of April? There were plenty of senior therapists here with more experience. Why is it the troublemaker April? She even insisted that if not her, she is not going to allow anyone to attend to her.

“What are you waiting for?”

“Didn’t you want me to take a day off?” 

The pointy chin woman shot her a sharp stare, the manager waved her hand and told her to ignore that and hurry to the customer. With a puzzled look on her face, the woman named April went to the designated area carrying her wooden basket filled with essential oils and whatnot.   

Sena, who was lounging lazily inside the bamboo hut, brushed on her phone for news to refresh her memory. Over a huge number of people, she has an excellent, if not the greatest advantage because of her stock information for the coming events. She also has to take note of the deviation from the cause and effect of her action. What she wanted is to change some people’s fates. For all those tragedies, she wanted to exchange them for the better. Will her little movements be enough to make ripples?

Why did those animals succeed in walking all over them? It was because they weren’t aware. The enemies lived happy lives at the expense of their misery. Sena only needs to reverse the flow and take back what’s rightfully theirs. 

“Hello, I will be your massage therapist for today, my name is April.” The woman from the hut’s door spoke after bowing. 

Sena looked up and smiled lightly, “Come in.”  

While it was true that she needed full body care and treatment, the other reason why she chose this remote spa is because of this woman. April. 

At the lowest point of her life, April came to help her when she barely even had time to help herself. They met each other in the alleys of a run-down bar having a barfing contest. Sena was still in the process of letting go of alcohol at that time. She wanted to quit but her body craves the substance in it. 

April on the other hand, was there for work. Sena learned that she somehow got involved with a son of a politician with dangerous hobbies and became one of his playthings. Sometimes, when he feels generous he would even share her with his friends. One time, April accidentally saw them taking drugs and dealing with other people inside a club. Although she barely graduated high school and grew up innocently, April knew it would be even dangerous if she stayed longer so she decided to sneak out. 

Problem is, she got caught. After they’ve played and beaten her, she was sent out with a warning. Since then she lived her life in fear. Later when Sena recovered the company she went to look for April only to find out she already died. No one knew how but she does. After they mentally tortured her, they got bored and finally gave her peace. 

Seeing the healthy and alive April in front of her made her throat and chest ache. If it weren’t for her, she wouldn’t be able to get by with the demons in her head. As of now, she is but a simple immigrant trying to earn money for her family back home. This spa will soon close down but before that, she will meet that wretched young master here. 

April had always had a nice figure and a unique light tanned skin, her inborn soft disposition is a lure to many men that is why many clients would secretly eye her. Sena will stay here for half a day not only for treatment but to convince April to work for her instead. 

The next time she comes out, she will be fresh and as smooth as a baby’s butt while towing with her a new assistant.

Just over after lunch when Sena’s white Maserati prepared to pull out from the driveway, a green Hummer loaded with noisy men zoomed past them. 

“It looks like trouble just arrived.” She muttered under her breath.

April sat stiffly on the passenger seat afraid to scratch the leather interior. She also saw those men in the other car and shook her head. This was supposed to be a place for relaxation but now it has become a playpen. Men with their mistresses would come here at night treating the place like a motel. Fortunately, she found a new employer or else… 

“We have to catch lunch late,” Sena said. “I’m so hungry. After that, we will go to a greenhouse to talk to a professional. Your job is going to be tough because you will be taking care of the house while I’m at work.”

April nodded enthusiastically. Housekeeping is her expertise, she only took a short course in massage therapy because she aimed to work in a nursing home in another country. It looks like she needs to change all that. Miss Sena said she will enrol her for a few online courses and also train her to become a qualified assistant. 

16