50. The Challenge Begins
388 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The shooting for Challenge Me will last for more than a couple of weeks with cameras following twenty-four-seven except the toilets. There is a pay-per-view system if the netizens wish to see their favourite celebrities undertaking the challenge live.

For those who were busy with school and work but wanted to watch, they can view the recorded version to be shown during prime time. 

The night before going to the shooting location, Apple rushed anxiously into her apartment only to find her lying and rubbing her stomach like a well-fed cat on the couch. 

Knowing that this mock of a show plan to set her up he develops a deep hostility towards it. He couldn't wait to tear the contract and withdraw Sena out. But as a reasonable human being with a higher IQ, he cannot very well act arbitrarily and add more trouble to Sena. 

“It’s a shame I won’t be able to eat the barbecue and fried noodles in the night stalls. Once the shoot is done, we’re going back there again.” She said, smacking her lips. 

Apple plunked his hands on his hips giving her a staredown as soon as he came. 

“So you had your last supper?”

Sena jumped from the couch.

If it weren’t for the signed contract for the reality show, no one would believe that this girl is about to go out tomorrow. Not a hint of tension was seen on her face. She even dared to order street food for dinner without caring for her stomach at all. Suddenly Apple felt stupid for worrying too much. He should have stayed in his place and slept early. 

His eye bags got bigger with these unwanted worries and sooner or later he’ll become bald from stress!  

It was only 5:00 am the next day with the mist still to disperse when her cameraman from the show rang the doorbell. The middle-aged uncle Felix was unlike any rookie cameramen in the industry no matter where or who he is facing he does his job professionally. 

Felix had seen all kinds of people in this business and it was natural to develop some sort of aversion to some. He in particular detests arrogant but lazy characters. Based on what he heard about Sena Erde, most of it was negative. 

A socialite with a difficult personality. 

Felix came up there prepared to face all kinds of irrational requests but he was stunned by the heavy contrast. Sena was nearly done with her preparation, she was only waiting for him to arrive and shoot the necessary clips for her intro in the show. After that, they head to the location without any delays. 

Meanwhile, the stress level of the new casts was raised over the roof.

TK was the least prepared, he just came out of bed when his manager knocked to remind him about the program. He was caught on camera with bed hair and wearing a Pikachu pyjama. His fans who came to squat were dumbfounded seeing their hardcore punk idol wearing such childish clothing. 

“Get out!” He roared after coming back to his senses. 

The screen was filled with all kinds of good-natured ridicule and laughter. 

[I thought TK was a hardcore cold type, who knew he loves Pikachu!!!]

[Fans, next time don’t send him bangles and piercings, buy plush dolls instead.]

In another exclusive village, Gan opened the door with a sweaty face fresh from the workout. The cameraman entered, the maid smiled at them while Gan hurriedly went to take a shower.

As early as before the morning sun came out, each group set off north. A one-hour flight by plane, more than three hours travel by car and Sena only brought a backpack with her when she went to the meeting place. 

Located high up the mountains of northwest provinces, nine people from the country’s wealthiest families will spend their vacation living as ordinary citizens deprived of their comfort and without their natural-born privilege. For this show, Apple had to personally come and manage her by order of the three old men abroad. 

Grandpa P adamantly warned that if anything happens while the shooting, he must withdraw her at once. 

Grandpa Ye said nothing since it was his agency that is currently handling the safety of the entire crew. Of course, it was done for Sena’s security. The men could care less about the others. 

As for Grandpa Oslo, he did mention recalling his grandson who is currently supporting Maya. Dresden was called back for him not to interfere. Apple was more than glad to know that he was getting admonishment for his behaviour towards the miss. 

On the other hand, April was left in the apartment to deal with the company while they are out here in the shooting location. Everything was set up nice, the rest depends on Sena. 

“How do you feel?” He asked Sena right next to him. Felix cut off the live broadcast and switched to recording for tonight’s prime time show. 

Looking out at the scenery while they ascended the winding path, Sena felt a sense of deep relaxation when the vivid colours of nature flashed by her line of vision. “I’m surprised the road up here has been improved a lot.”

“Is that all you can say?”

“I’m very excited to see the village.”

“Just so you know, there will be no one out there who is going to take care of you. Your assistant is not here and I cannot enter the scene.” He continued to persuade. 

Sena felt funny hearing him anxiously chatter around like an anxious grandmother. “Trust me, I will be alright?”

“Trust you?” Apple was nearly hysterical. “Last time I checked you nearly cooked your hand when you were boiling water!”

This place is so backwards it will surely not have all the convenience of the city. The more he thinks about it the more agitated he gets. If something happens to her, not only the three old guys will kill him, Paula’s ghost will surely come and haunt him to death. 

What have you done to my poor baby daughter?! 

“That was a year ago, and it was an accident. I don’t think I’m still that bad.” Sena defended her dignity. Rebirth has its perks, she was no longer the same pampered little rich girl. 

But Apple was definitely not convinced. He gave up trying to engage her into a conversation after being laughed at from time to time for being a worrywart. Gradually he noticed that she doesn’t seem to be as nervous as he thought she would be. This made him puzzled. 

If not for the confidence looming in her eyes, he would immediately refuse this kind of activity on the spot as he was certain she would fumble. He knew she had her pride, after being ridiculed by everyone it became her determination to overturn the impression people had on her. However, it was not to save her image but to spite those who hurt her. 

The first step is this show. 

At the entrance of the village, the cameras for live broadcasts followed their every move. One by one the guests arrived in their swanky rides and outfits. Standing together under the morning sun, the cousins Maya and Yuni looked at the approaching car with neutral expressions. On the left side standing not far is the son of the famous grocery chain store businessman, Eron Shi.

Stepping out of it is a man about 1.85 meters high in a black long coat and sunglasses. As one of the heirs of a multi-million company and a man known for his handsome visuals, Arthur Min is one of the top picks of both the audience and his co-stars. 

However, compared to Eron who is friendly, humorous and can easily exchange smiles with the two ladies no one dares take the initiative to approach him because of his strange personality. 

Arthur walked on the left side assuming it was where the men should stay and quietly returned his gaze on the road.

Yuni turned her head towards him from time to time to take a look. How many chances do people get to come near him? Forget about Eron Shi, although he looks amiable she knows Arthur Min’s benefits are several times better. Her father had been trying to find ways to make a business deal with the Min family. Secretly, she vowed to herself that she must make an impression no matter what. 

Next came TK who looked like he just woke up and still had puffy eyes. He was followed by the famous fitness guru Gan wearing a tight-fitting shirt, then Luan lugging a designer suitcase and Nancy with her cat ears and lolita outfit. 

When most of them were assembled, the live audience began to feast on the screen.  

[Nancy!!! Oh my dolly! Our cosplay goddess is here.]

[I saw Maya again.]

[She’s wearing Lynx’s clothes, how beautiful!]

[You can simp all you want but Miss Luan is still my number one goddess!!!]

[I suddenly become so excited for these people. How are they going to live in this village for days?]

[Y’all busy ogling the broads, I’m all for Mr Perfect Arthur Min. My god, I never thought he would show himself in public like this. I must tell all my friends!]

The last car came and Sena stepped out together with Apple on the other door. The camera focused on her and her co-stars' expressions. After waving goodbye to the driver, she put on a large mountain bag and walked towards the group with ease. 

Arthur Min’s eyes behind the sunglasses flickered the first time she came into view. Not only him, but Gan also turned his eyes to the newcomer. Unlike the rest who were dressed to the teeth in all the latest fashion, she wore a simple black windbreaker, black jeans and a pair of reliable hiking shoes. 

She looked clean and fresh, ready to start a hard day. 

Gan’s eyes scanned her from head to toe and ticked a high score in his mental note. What his friend Lyndon said was right, she is a bombshell, not even the simple clothes could hide. Heck, she would still look gorgeous in a potato sack. He subconsciously licked his teeth. 

Apple went to the side where the rest of the assistants and managers were stationed as soon as Sena entered the frame. He looked around for a while and caught Manager Gina’s displeased gaze at him. Apple recognized her as the running dog of Mrs Luz, the cheap woman who always competed with Paula. From hiring paparazzi to harass Sena to meddling with the show, Manager Gina can do it all. 

He raised the corners of his lips mockingly and planned to ignore her for the rest of the day. This potato better behaves or else... 

Back in the front, Sena walked to where the ladies stood. It was then that it fully sank into her that the show started. 

The crew first briefed them about the mechanics of the challenge. A guide in ancient peasant clothing stepped forward and greeted them. Her name was Emma and she will act as an overseer for them. 

“Welcome to the village, after 24hrs, you need to find yourselves a job, money, food and shelter. The studio will provide the costumes you need to blend and have a better feel of your new environment. Aside from a backpack with your personal things, all equipment that can give you access to the modern era had to be surrendered.”

They will enter a place replicating the olden timeline acting as one of the people in there. And as inhabitants, they must follow the rules and adapt to their way of life. Sena listened attentively to Emma, appearing unruffled by the rules. Whereas some of her companions began to feel troubled. 

In order to boost their wavering confidence, Emma injected a very effective motivation: the rewards for entering the top three spots. The third place will undoubtedly receive a large sum of money only 20% less than the second place and an exclusive contract from Rainbow Media. For the grand prize winner, aside from getting movie and advertisements contracts a new luxury apartment in the Central Business District will also be given. 

No doubt, the apartment was the most sought after prize of them all. Even as children from wealthy households, having such an expensive property of their own is a dream come true. 

Cameras are following them 24/7 so the idea of cheating will be impossible. 

The activity is yet to begin but fans on the screen already started showing support for their favourite contestant. As both new celebrities, Maya and Yuni had their fanbase that is particularly active in every appearance of their idols. Their upvotes already began to move even before the challenges started. As for the rest having a handicap of being fresh faces they can only begin to attract fans when they show a particularly interesting trait during the program. 

The contestants were guided towards the rented rest house where they would select their own costumes to wear during the challenge. On the hanger racks are a wide selection of peasant clothing but everyone else seemed to have been possessed by ghosts and scrambled to find the best. Sena did not join the fun and waited on the side.

“Not ready yet?” Arthur asked. He stood beside her looking at their companions as though watching a restless flock of ducks. 

“No hurry, there is enough for everybody.”

The viewers didn’t think so.

[What is Sena doing? Why hasn’t she moved yet?]

[Get her out of the show, she’s too lazy to cooperate and it is only the first day.]

[Oh look she already made a move and came close to Arthur.]

[Eww disgusting!]

[She thinks she can do anything because of her face!] 

[Above, are you blind? It was Arthur who talked to her first! Besides, she’s not the only one waiting on the side.]

Nancy was also there not making any move. The lolita girl’s laser eyes looked at the costumes on the rack one by one and slowly died inside. 

Why are the colours so monotonous??? 

“I’m going ahead,” Sena spoke. 

Surely enough, when it was her turn she picked a decent pair of trousers, an overskirt with big front pockets, stays and shirt, a woollen coat and finally a bonnet. The costumes were freshly laundered despite their shabby look; her layers are enough to keep her skin from being exposed.

Arthur and Nancy followed suit to begin their selection.

The cold sweat on Nancy’s forehead began to accumulate as she moved around the racks. There were almost no clothes that fit her standard. Then she noticed Sena still picking up costumes when she’s already done.

[What is Sena doing? She already has her clothes on! Nancy, Arthur and TK are still finding theirs, can she not disturb them?!]

[She’s starting to play tricks. Who let this scourge join in the program. You should kick her out!]

[Gosh, this spoiled bitch again. I don’t want to see her!]

Nancy bit her lip hard and she sweated more when she couldn’t find the right clothes. 

“Try this.” She heard Sena say when she unknowingly wandered closer to her.

“Huh…?” 

Sena patiently raised the light blue dress, a white cotton innerwear with puffed sleeves and a white apron. The apron had little ruffles in it but still looked lovely. The netizens in the live broadcast can see Nancy’s panic, when Sena showed her the clothes her reaction became even more uncertain especially when Arthur and TK had already chosen theirs. 

[She’s shoving the ugly clothes to Nancy. Can’t she see she’s uncomfortable?!]

[I can’t bear to watch this. I’m losing interest.]

[This is bullying. Leave Nancy alone!]

But then after seeing the blue dress and white apron, Nancy’s frowning face lit up visible to the naked eye.

“This is for me?!” She exclaimed, grabbing the dress, “Are you sure?”

Sena nodded.

“Thank you! I was stuck looking for an appropriate costume. Thanks again.” After bowing briefly, she ran to the dressing area fast to put it on. 

[Oh wait… there seems to be something wrong.]

[Me too. Did you guys forget what Nancy said in her earlier videos? The lolita costume is more than a dress for her, it is her comfort.]

[You’re right. Sena saw the problem firsthand, that was why she helped Nancy find clothes!]

[And you believe that? What if Nancy was only afraid of offending her?]

[No! Nancy was polite when saying thank you. She wouldn’t do that if Sena was bullying her.]

Nancy’s fans knew her well. Although she looks soft and cute, she has a hard backbone. They knew exactly how many devious competitors and haters had been roasted alive by her stinging commentary online. 

Five minutes later a new Nancy in simple but neat peasant clothes appeared. Her eyes were bright, unlike the look she had before. To everyone’s surprise, she ran straight to Sena and clung to her hand. 

[Our pretty lolita is back folks!]

[Nancy darling! You look marvellous. Oops… she ran straight to Sena.]

“Big sister, thanks a lot. I like it so much…”

Sena nodded subtly, “It’s the attitude that makes the overall look. Though we are peasants I think you managed the Alice in Wonderland image.”

“Really?”

Tk snorted, “Yeah, right after she rolled down the hole.”

“You look nice.” Arthur happened to be also nearby so he responded with a thumbs up.   

“Hehe,” Nancy twisted shyly but shot a glare at TK.

[Wow! Arthur Min responded!]

[Holy shit, the icy prince charming smiled and the cuddly porcupine as well. Did everyone notice that?!]

[Didn’t they say Sena wasn’t nice? I find her cool though.] She tamed the wild lolita with a head pat and turned her into a cub asking for hugs! 

[She was so quick when helping Nancy. Even Tk who is known to be rude to everyone does not even let out a squeak to her.]

[Additionally, Arthur also talks to her.]

[Look at her posture in that costume. It’s clearly a peasant attire, but she looks like she’s fine with it.]

[Peasant clothes suit her fake personality.]

[There’s another bittermelon again. Did Sena Erde kill your family?]   

The four-person was in harmony but the other four were silent. 

While viewers were discussing their choice of clothes, Sena had another purpose for it. The weather is much colder and she doubted the crew would provide them blankets so she deliberately found thicker clothes with plenty of layers.

Maya and Yuni were the first to rummage through the costumes and found slightly better clothes. Although not as colourful they were comfortable cotton dresses and mos importantly they were prepared for them firsthand. It wasn’t an ugly choice but the style will become a problem later on. 

[Maya looks like a young miss in that dress.]

[Why do I think that they chose something inappropriate…]

[Above, don’t be pessimistic. You will jinx our Maya!]

The other two Eron and Luan chose peasant clothes like the rest which are made of wool and linen. The pants were loose and needed to be fastened with suspenders. Also, coats are a must.

All nine casts had been dressed, now it was time to divide them into teams. They can either pair up and help each other survive or move solo if they wish. However, the main goal still does not change, they have to finish the challenge issued by the program team.

First and foremost on the list is to find a roof over their head. They needed lodging for the duration of their stay. Although this is an experimental village, the folks living here were permanent residents. That means that their way of life was simple and detached from the modern world outside and they as visitors had to adjust themselves to it. 

8