56. Back To The Modern Times
417 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

With the rising conflict among the cast, the audience's interest began to notice their character. Holding 40% of votes, it doesn’t matter whether you are beautiful or famous outside, if you have a shit personality and the audience hates you, you’re doomed. 

Yuni’s constant sneering and attacking the other female cast especially Sena earned plenty of ridicule from the live audience. Her bad behaviour was displayed for everyone to see that even Maya’s fans who first praised her for her sisterly affection are now showing their displeasure and hurriedly withdrawing their support. 

The rapid reduction of votes not only happened to her but to Gan as well. From a wealthy young master with a tough guy playboy image, he was transformed into a muscle-brain clown. He hadn’t given up on his bigotry and openly spoke about it during the late-night diary recording. The cast can take this time of the night to record their thoughts and feelings about the challenge to give them a space to breathe. But so far, the avid users of late-night diary entries was only Sena who made it into her trivia log that later became a favourite segment of the program.

Gan was shading Sena’s treatment of him, calling her a stuck-up chick. He was insinuating that she was ignoring him on purpose to get his attention. The program team wanted to squeeze every bit of scandal for ratings did not cut out those scenes; instead they edited the video of Gan approaching Sena several times. They added special effects of him holding a cupid’s bow and arrow trying to shoot Sena but was blocked by a police riot shield. 

When Sena rebuked him for being sexist, they animated her eyes to glow burning Gan into charcoal. The funny clips and sound effects plus the contrast of the images made the audience laugh wildly. 

[He’s like a kid showing off but instead of expensive toys, he shows off his girlfriends. Ms Erde was right and she’s speaking for people in general. Dating plenty and still failing to maintain the relationship means a personal problem.]

[His face when Sena clapped back on him.]

[Mah dude’s manly ego was hurt by a chick so now he’s throwing a fit…]

[Honestly, though, Gan makes a good comic relief. He can apply to be a comedian.]

[Or the circus. I will line up to buy tickets with my friends.]

 

The following day Ms Emma came again to announce the task. The casts were plucked out of their bed early in the morning to listen to instructions. “Living life as an ancient peasant, your task today does not include searching for your next meal but also going down the farm to help. There is plenty of work in the estate. As an essential part of the workforce, you will have to contribute your time and energy as well. By the end of this challenge, the judges will count your scores and proceed to our first elimination. So good luck.”  

Arthur and TK are anticipated to take the lead when they earned a full 10 score from working outside, but in the cooking disaster, they only got 7 earning them 17 points. Sena had 8 points as chimney sweep plus 8 cooking points, an overall of 16 points. She should have scored a full ten for doing her task well but since she was allowed to aid two teams, she had to sacrifice 1 point for each. 

Maya’s team made a comeback from their previous 7 points in the coaching inn when she and her companions happily received the undeserved 9 points from the cooking challenge. The judges explained that although their food was burnt it was made by their own hands. 

The scores are as follows:  

Arthur: (10 + 7 = 17 pts). TK: (10 + 7 = 17 pts). Sena: (8 + 8 = 16 pts). Maya: (7 + 9 = 16 pts). Gan: (7 + 9 = 16 pts) Yuni... then Nancy : (8 + 7 = 15 pts) and Luan at the bottom with (7 + 7 + 14 pts) 

Luan wasn’t the least bit bothered because her audience vote remained steady and there is still one more activity before the elimination. 

Sena yawned lazily and returned inside the house to prepare. The day has arrived, they are about to take her from the show. To do that they needed to tweak the challenge to Maya’s advantage so that the judges are justified in giving her a high score without appearing too biased. 

Back in the capital, President Bo received an unexpected guest at his office. Mrs Luz drove to Imagine Entertainment to throw a tantrum at him, blaming him for the backlash Maya received in the variety show. The potbellied middle-aged man hurriedly appeased her by revealing that the next activity is ensured to clean up Sena Erde.

Little did they know that Rainbow Media Co. who owned the variety show is also facing an unexpected problem among their executives.   

 

The judges are indeed merciless on this new task. 

In the fish pond inside the village early in the morning, nine people are running around like crazy trying to catch fish using old tools. Their respective cameramen were in no better condition as well, their clothes wet and clotted with knee-deep mud. The first time they came face to face with the dirt, they couldn’t hold the look of absolute terror on their faces. 

Look at that wet, grey and brown dirt extending for several meters. How deep does this hell go? What else is down there? 

The judges and the crew watched their varied expressions with gusto. When none showed signs of moving, the director sighed artificially and took out the lottery box to decide who would go in first. “Sena. You’re the first.” 

She just knew it would come to this. A small smile tugged at the corner of her lips as she raised her skirt wordlessly. Fortunately, the crew let them change into less cumbersome working clothes. A pair of silken smooth long legs came into view, two nicely-shaped pinkish calves with cute toes stepped on dirt. Before they knew it she was already below making small cautious steps. 

“It’s not as bad as it looks.” Sena shrugged.  

With her help, the cast’s initial fear passed, and they slowly accepted their fate. While they toddle around the dirt, the program staff and other people behind the scenes sitting comfortably on the bank looking neat made a sharp contrast making the cast feel sad.

“Ahhh, snake!” Maya screamed when she saw something wriggle on the surface of the water. 

Yuni who heard her didn’t care whether she was asking for help or not, she picked up her waterlogged skirt and rushed past her frightened cousin. “Get out! Move out of my way!”

Everyone on the bank could not believe what she did next, she pulled the nearest person then pushed her down the mud and run to the upper slope to save herself. 

The unlucky Nancy who got caught in the crossfire fell out of balance. “What the hell, Yuni?!” The poor girl’s eyes turn into a ferocious slit. She was usually nice and friendly like a little hamster but right now, she was truly mad. 

“It’s just a reflex, I didn't mean it! What are you so mad about?” 

“Damn reflex,” the angry hamster Nancy cursed. “A person’s character is measured by their first instinct in front of danger!” 

“It’s your fault for standing there! Of course, I’d save myself first.” Yuni glared at her hatefully then shouted to her cameraman not to shoot her crying. 

While the two girls were arguing, Maya inched closer to the side. “I thought this place was safe-- ahh!”

Her foot slipped on the slope making her lose balance and land sideways to the dirt. 

The men on her side were alarmed. “Are you alright?” 

“I’m fine.” She replied dryly. 

Gan said gently, “I did not see any snakes. The villagers checked the fish pond for safety measures earlier. There shouldn’t be any more danger. Come, you can hold my hand if you’re scared.” 

[Danger? It’s offering its hand right in front of her.]

The audience were vomiting hard at his overflowing fake smile. 

[Can this man be more shameless? He keeps sticking to girls like glue.]

[I’ve seen his social media page and almost smashed my screen in anger. This dude has questionable virtue and is an incurable narcissist. Where the hell would you find a man praising himself wearing a disgusting zebra print swimwear?]

[Wahahaha zebra print! It seems we have a misunderstanding here, Gan should have gone to the zoo instead of the farm.]

[That comment made me choke on my coffee. Hahahahaha!]

Back in the pond…

“I saw it.” Maya gripped her hands together, refusing to move further. Her clear black eyes are moist and erratic making her look all the more pitiful.  

“Alright, alright, let me check it for you.” Eron volunteered bravely, stepping on the mud. His performance had been mediocre. Earlier, he found that interacting with Maya may not only add more scenes to him but also her fans’ favour. 

“D-Did you see it?” Maya hesitated. 

Eron shook his head, “It’s kinda safe.” 

TK was annoyed on the other hand and rolled his eyes. They were all tired, dirty and hungry but Maya Luz remained clean by pushing all the dirty work on Eron and Gan who happily followed her like dogs. When Nancy was pushed earlier none of them even helped her considering they were nearby but they jumped when it was Maya Luz who slipped. They all haven’t caught a single fish in their basket and she’s beginning to make a scene.

Sena was already in the middle of the pond with her fish trap woven out of hazel. Each of them was given a small basket and a fish trap for the task. She fell several times on the way and already had her clothes soaked from the waist down. 

Suddenly, she stopped moving and slapped the fish trap on the water. “I caught one!” 

Arthur was nearby and looked over. “It looks like a big one.”

Uncle Felix focused the camera lens on the catch to let the viewers see what it was. 

[It looks like a…] 

[Mom, what did Sena catch?! Hurry throw it away, it might bite!]

[Snake!]

[Fuck there is a snake! Call animal control!!!]

Everyone gasped when she put her hand inside to catch it. Even Nicholas who was watching the live broadcast on his mobile phone frowned in distress. 

“I got it.” Sena grinned at the camera as if holding a trophy then quickly put it on her wicker basket. “There’s no snake. It’s an eel.” 

[Eel???]

[Damn that eel scared me too much!]

[EEL… the mysterious creature haunting the muddy pond and scared Miss Maya Luz out of her wits is unsurprisingly an eel. A common species inside a pond.]  

[Hmm, they’re super delicious too. I would love to have a piping hot unadon from a nearby Japanese restaurant.]

[Fuck yes! Although it’s not simply food for the empty purse.] 

[(º﹃º) uhhhh… I suddenly want unagi kabayaki!]

The comment section is getting more and more skewed making everyone’s stomach growl. 

Luan and TK who were nearby also came over to look at the fish she caught and breathe sighs of relief. Thankfully the snake thing was a false alarm. Luan was also frightened but she wasn’t able to react fast and froze up. Looking at her dishevelled self and the neat crews above the bank, the urge to let out a miserable cry nearly made her snap. 

Oh, my God, this program is personally made by the devil! 

Luan was in a very bad mood when her eyes went to Nancy. The girl is wet from head to foot with grass and mud on her clothes. She looked like she had been mercilessly dagged across the water.

“W-What happened to you?” She asked cautiously.

Nancy, bullied, red-eyed and ready to cry. “Yuni pushed me down the mud.” 

Apparently, there was someone more miserable than her. Luan awkwardly helped her pat the dirt off and threw Yuni a disgusted glance. 

The pond somehow looked divided for some reason. On one end there is Sena, Arthur, TK, Luan and Nancy. On the other hand Gan, Maya, Eron and Yuni stood appearing to be helping each other out. However, the insiders and the crew in charge of the program knew that there was friction since the other day when Sena shot down Gan. 

The tall muscular man could not take the hit on his pride and dared not get near Sena again. 

By ten-thirty in the morning, the director called for a halt to let them rest. 

“Finally,” Luan mumbled, kneading her sore waist from bending. 

When the cameras were turned off, they all climbed back to the embankment to wipe themselves and eat a little. The director could not very well starve them for real or these brats' families will come after him with a knife. 

Apple came to give Sena a towel and one for uncle Felix, “You can only eat small portions to stave off hunger until this scene is finished. Don’t worry, the director said that there is only half an hour left.”

She nodded and took a bottle of mineral water. Uncle Jess and two of his companions were not around for some reason, surprisingly, Manager Gina who always kept an eye on Maya was also absent. Something fishy must be going on. She did not want to dwell on it and concentrated on the matter at hand.

The sopping wet Nancy sniffed pitifully on the side while throwing death glares on Yuni. The pushing incident provoked the anger of her fans, they ran to Yuni’s window to hurl accusations and curses. It’s common knowledge that to be able to stay in the program you have to get the audience's favour. A pretty face and an amazing background are not enough if you have a rotten character and mediocre skills. Yuni relying on her image as a star is not going to be enough compensation for the audience's hate for her. 

After a brief breather, the shooting resumed. The rest who went to explore the middle and edges of the pond already caught five to six fishes. Sena was not in a frantic situation like everyone else, she leisurely walked around the knee-deep mud inspecting the murky water. Uncle Felix followed her and captured the relaxed atmosphere around the young lady. 

It was the least he could do. He overheard the staff say that today’s first contestant to say goodbye is Sena Erde. Uncle Felix did not have to think deeper why they chose a relatively active character, she could even be called a strong contender. But alas, if the program and its sponsor wants you gone you should start packing. Although he doubted that Sena was the kind to quietly receive that kind of affront. 

He guessed the young lady had other plans and while he followed her, he realized his hunch wasn’t wrong at all. 

Maya’s team surprisingly had a windfall and caught so many and are bound to snag the highest score this time around. 

“As long as we did our best and remained honest, it’s fine not to get the top score for the meantime.” Arthur consoled everyone with meaningful words. 

Sena did not speak and took the fishes everyone caught. Ms Emma came to tell them that it’s time for lunch and that they are still making their food again. 

Everyone gave out collective groans of despair. 

“Eel will be wasted if we cook this,” Sena mumbled looking at the two fat eels on her basket. She decided to put them back in the pond. Fortunately, she still has two fat tilapia. 

The others also decided to let go of their eels after they were counted by Ms Emma. For lunch, their host said they can choose to cook individually or collectively. As the only one who can cook a bit better than the rest, Sena received Arthur and the rest’s fish. 

“Thanks to Maya we were able to get plenty of points this time.” Eron praised looking inside his basket full of eels when the other team released the fish back in the pond he thought they were throwing a fit.

“Sore losers.” Yuni snorted. Everyone caught plenty but their team, in particular, didn’t have to struggle much in the mud after they stumbled upon a good place to fish. Adding the scores from the last challenge they are confident to overtake them. 

Though winning this round, Maya still felt uneasy. Why do they look like it doesn’t bother them? 

“Leave them be,” Gan said. “They probably couldn’t accept that they lost poorly on this round.” While saying so, he swept a mocking glance towards Sena. He heard from Maya that even though they were blood-related, they never had any sisterly relationship due to Sena hating her origin. He believes that it wasn’t Maya’s fault for being an illegitimate child. With her strong personality and Maya’s soft temper, he felt that hating on her half-sister was a petty and childish act. 

If Sena could hear his thoughts right now, she would probably smack his head with a telephone pole. Sure there are grudges but it was the illegitimate hating on the legitimate which was funny. 

Lunch is being cooked and Gan suddenly found that although they had plenty of fish none of them know how to cook this slippery thing called eel. They had eaten eel yes but how do chefs prepare it? 

They’re not chefs! 

Soon the smell of deep-fried tilapia floated from the sizzling pan, it scattered in the air then hit everyone’s nostrils and increased the hunger pangs they were feeling.

“Shit, I’m hungry,” Eron mumbled on the side. 

None of them had moved the eel wriggling inside the baskets. They followed Maya after she caught a lot from the side of the pond. Eron noticed that Maya seems to know where the fishes would gather and took advantage of it. After further observation, he realized that she might have had outside help. The eel they caught were surprisingly trapped inside an inauspicious mud pit. 

It was a tiring activity. 

Sena used the remaining money she had to buy a hearty meal. She taught Nancy to cook rice in the clay pot, Luan knew a few stir fry from watching her grandfather’s chef make it in their business so she made a water spinach and garlic stir fry in butter and dipping of sweet shrimp paste. 

The shrimp paste has a strong fermented aroma. TK ran away after smelling when Luan was adjusting the taste in the pan, he complained that it smelt like a dead rat but surprisingly, he was the one who first fell in love with the savoury salty taste. 

It was a humble peasant food but the program staff and crew watching on the sidelines had to swallow their saliva several times. The fancy boxed lunch on their hand seemed unpalatable for some reason. 

 

Lunch finished and it’s time for the final verdict. 

Almost everyone filled the quota of catching 10 fishes aside from Sena who only caught four. Two eels and two tilapia. The cast, the host Ms Emma and three judges gathered inside the village hall to listen to the summary of their performance. Maya got a lot of praise for her ‘indomitable’ spirit, the judges said that despite her reluctance she still tried to persevere. 

She secretly eyed Sena who was about to be axed and felt that the countryside breeze felt a lot fresher without her. She couldn’t wait to watch all their performances when the next break comes, see how she gets mauled and abused by the audience online. Ms Gina already talked to the program staff to edit Sena’s scenes and highlight her negative performance. 

Maya believed that Gan and Yuni’s provocations were enough to darken her image. 

Nancy was washing her face with tears unwilling to let Sena go. She was able to make it through the rough start because Sena constantly supported her and losing her is equal to losing a confidante. The rest of the cast listening to the judges harping about Maya started to feel annoyed for some reason. 

In the end, Sena was called forward. She first gave a small curtsy then stood in the middle of the hall like a peasant facing her betters in the upper seat. As the lowest scoring person, of course, she will be eliminated. But the judges felt that the scene was too plain so they agreed to act out an impromptu scenario. 

“Worker Sena, your performance from the beginning was outstanding but I regret to say that although you worked hard, it was not enough to earn the points needed to stay in our estate. As landlords, we need capable hands.”

Another judge scrutinized her from head to foot and shook his head. “You had your last chance but you wasted it. I’m sorry but you have to move to another country to look for a living.”

Moving to another country means leaving the show. Sena had the urge to laugh. 

“Sigh~ the winter is about to start and we know life is not easy to be dismissed at this period. As compensation, before you leave we will allow you to make one request.” 

Sena had a playful smile when she spoke, “Thank you for your kindness, milord.”

“Well, then you may state your request.” 

Sena raised her eyes and looked at her companions for this entire week. Nancy was sobbing like crazy, Arthur had a small smirk on his face while TK was frowning ferociously as if he’s being fed with shit. These three were fun to work with, Luan was also okay with her own brand of never say die personality. 

“Before I leave, I would like to transfer all my working points to someone.”

The three judges looked at each other. During the introduction, Ms Emma mentioned the transferring of scores to the cast briefly and there was not a mention of it again. It was so negligible that none of them seem to know that this rule exists or it was simply ignored to oblivion since it was a detrimental move on their behalf. 

Who on earth would still have an interest in giving their points when they are being kicked out of the program?

Even if you ask the audience they wouldn’t remember as well unless they watched the playback. But Sena Erde said she would give it and she remembers the rules. As expected the cast had surprised expressions, except Arthur Min. Maya’s face turned gloomy, for once she lost control of her expression and coldly glared from behind. 

Arthur knew that Sena might do something shocking during her final scene judging by how calm she spent the last activity. Knowing her score, she still cooked them a sumptuous meal. The other day when they made their food for the first time, she casually sacrificed her 2 points for them to have a decent meal. Today, she could have gotten more points but she insisted on not catching more fish. 

The judges wiped their cold sweat, in front of the camera and thousands of audiences watching they have no means to deny her claim. 

“It can be done.” Ms Emma said amiably. “However, we can only allow you to give 5 points at most to ensure fairness to other contestants. This point will automatically be added to the lucky recipient when the third challenge begins. So Ms Erde, please choose who you want to give your remaining points to.”

Sena nodded, “I want to share my points with Miss Nancy Tennoji mostly because I have seen her work hard and overcome the hurdle of being a pampered child from the start of this program. She never cut corners when doing her task nor did she ask anyone’s help to make it easier for her. Despite the scratches and wounds under her tears she never stopped working. I like soft but tough people like that. In my eyes, she deserves to accept my will. Lastly, her unique character is like sunshine to this dreary environment.” 

TK snickered while looking at the alleged sunshine who was sobbing miserably looking all dreary beside him. Arthur gave him a soft knock in the head. 

Sena’s praise was far more sincere and clear than the one the judges heaped on Maya. The soft but tough image she mentioned suddenly became Nancy’s trademark. Well, the girl indeed earned it, not some fake madonna glaring at her from behind. She said her farewell and exited the frame just like that. 

The director called for a cut and announced a long break until the third challenge comes. For now, the director, the judges and the whole crew still don't know the effects of removing Sena from the show. They exchanged superficial words of sympathy with her, all of which she treated like air. 

Apple aptly handed over a warm towel to wipe her face of dirt. Nancy came pouncing on her like a distressed little animal. 

“Big sister.. Uuuuuhhhhhh w-why?” 

“Don’t cry, I'm only leaving the show. I don't have a terminal illness.” Sena said, flicking her forehead.     

“I’b zorry…” she said inaudibly while drenching her chest with tears. “I’djus feed sho baaad you give me your scores when I did nothing but be a burden to you...”

“No, no don’t be. You performed just fine. I was expecting my elimination since I came here and I had been intending to give you those points because I know you deserve it.”   

“Wuuuu it’s not fair! You did better than me from the start!” 

Sena wanted to laugh when she saw the hamster loli’s nose clog up with snot. 

“So you were aiming for this.” Arthur sighed from behind. He had his hands pushed inside his trouser pockets. “From the very beginning, you didn’t look like you were competing at all but rather went on a vacation.” 

She chuckled, “Was I too obvious?”  

“Not so much but I picked up a few hints.” Such as her subtly guiding Nancy, and not showing any tension whenever their scores are announced. “You’re going back to the capital after this?” 

Sena patted Nancy’s back to help her relax. “Yes, there is still plenty of work to handle.”  

“Great. Maybe I’ll drop by your office soon. It’s a shame our time here is short, we like your company.” 

“And food.” TK inserted. Thinking that they are going to eat either burnt or raw in the following days made his entire face blue. 

“Food. That too.” Arthur chuckled. He then looked around, his eyes stopped on Gan. “His family owns a construction business.”

Sena’s interest was piqued.  

Arthur continued, “I heard they were about to join the bidding for the East District project, many know you and the Saldinis are cooperating and my warning may come presumptuous but still, be wary of the Bluejay Construction and Development Co. if their name comes up in the list of proposed developers in your table.”  

She looked at Apple to inquire. 

“Miss, our group has no dealings with such company for the time being,” Apple replied. “I will go check if the Tangs or Mullers have.” 

Sena repeated the name inwardly and mumbled her thanks to Arthur for that piece of information. 

Nancy bobbed her head up, “Arthur is right… sniff... t-that cobpany had a lot of controversies. There was… hicc… there was a particularly bad incident. My daddy said that twenty years ago, not so many people remember it now, Bluejay caused an accident when constructing a school. The materials were substandard and… and it collapsed as soon as the rainy season started burying twenty school staff inside it.” 

That’s horrible.

“What about the victims? Were they held liable? Did they offer an appropriate amount of compensation?”

Arthur’s smile looked grim. Sena had her answer. The business circle does not lack greedy people who take the lives below them for granted. No wonder Gan was cocky, he had no good elders to teach him. If she hadn’t met these people Sena wouldn’t know about this. Fortunately, she joined the program and gained more. She sighed inwardly, fate can be funny sometimes.  

“Alright, I will be very careful not to have dealings with their business.” She assured them. 

It’s late afternoon when she finished packing all her things. From the remote village down to the nearest airport, it takes two hours travel by car and one hour by plane to reach Capital City but an important person called earlier stating that she dropped by their house for a while before returning home. Outside the cabin, she once again faced Maya. 

“You did it on purpose didn’t you?” Maya accused with a twisted look on her face. 

“Which one exactly?”

Maya scoffed angrily. “Losing.” 

“Isn’t this something you hoped for?” Sena replied blandly. “Why, does it annoy you that my exit didn’t go according to your plan?”

She thought she would regret being kicked out and hide in the corner in shame. The person in front of her had her teeth clenched as if ready to chew on her bones but Sena remained calm and worded Maya’s illusory thoughts like reading a boring toaster manual.

“You wanted me to tuck tail and cry like a child to satisfy your petty vanity. I already told you not to mess with me. You should know that whether it is losing or winning, everything has to be decided by myself. Not you or the people you bought in this show.” 

She knows?! Maya’s eyes widened in disbelief; she unconsciously stepped back to avoid those playful hazel eyes puncturing her facade. 

“Surprised?” Sena chuckled. “Don’t be. You always do the same lame tactic when you’re dealing with me. It’s beginning to get boring.” 

The conversation ended when Maya could no longer answer back. On their way out, she was surprised to see Nancy and the others waiting for her to say goodbye. The Eddings family were also there awkwardly standing with the rest of the villagers. 

“We’ll see each other in the capital. I have my assistant save your SNS and mobile number.” Nancy waved tearfully. 

TK came forward after grabbing the bouquet of farewell flowers from the director and putting it on her arms. “Be careful on the way back. Let’s hang out sometime when this shit show is over. I know plenty of fun places.”  

The stunned director: “...” He was robbed of the role and his show was ridiculed. 

Luan expressed her thanks for helping her with the tough challenge that is cooking and lastly, Arthur who just nodded his head.

“Safe journey.”   

The rest did not say a word to her. Sena knew they had their issues, especially the Eddings family who more or less woke up from their arrogance after they read the audience’s stinging comments about their horrid behaviour. She waved her hand one last time before getting inside the black S-class Maybach. Behind follows another black car where Uncle Jess and her security team sat.  

Arthur noticed the license plate of the Maybach and smiled inwardly. 

9