58. Jealousy
486 7 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Pearl Marina, The Paragon Residences

Sena’s eyes went to the kitten with a bowtie wiggling its butt on top of the table then to the stack of different invitations spread everywhere. She saw the clutter as soon as she walked downstairs for breakfast. The kitten she named Dumpling is pawing the envelopes. The little skinny thing that turned into a fat grey-white ball had been treated for his wounds. He was healthy enough to bounce around the house and make a mess. 

“Boss, these were mailed to your office in Diamond Realtor after we left for France. I gathered everything and brought them-- Dumpling no!” April rushed to snatch a black envelope before it was soaked with cat saliva. “Bad kitty! Bad.”

Dumpling eyes looked at her looking very much aggrieved. Those tiny ears drooped in despair. He just wanted to eat that black paper, it must have been so tasty!   

“Thanks, April.” Sena chuckled and picked the little fatty from the table. Her fingers scratched the undersides of its chin then down to the belly making Dumpling purr. “Listen to auntie. Remember, she holds your ration of tasty fish. Be good or else she will not give it to you later.” 

April scratched her cheek. She’s not so cruel to depraved their pig– err, the cat of his food. 

“By the way, Challenge Me is already in its 3rd episode on Cosmos TV.” She reminded Sena in passing. “Would you like to watch an episode tonight?”

“Sure.” She was also curious to know how they would appear outside the show. When she left half a month ago several changes had occurred, the three judges who gave her unfair scores were dismissed and replaced by new ones and she heard that some staff as well did not escape the culling.  

With her departure, she took away almost half of the live broadcast subscribers with her dragging the show’s ratings. Fortunately, Challenge Me barely hung on with Arthur’s charisma and TK’s wild antics. Nancy and Luan also stepped up their game to pull the show back to its peak. 

When Sena reappeared in the eyes of the public she did not expect to receive such huge attention. Compared to when she still hadn’t joined the variety show people easily recognize her now and there were even paparazzi following behind. Later, when they left Paragon until they reached the HQ, April notified her that there were people following from behind but she just playfully said to let them and drove leisurely. 

The internet stirred with her return and all kinds of gossip linked to her came out of the woodworks once again. She had a long rest after returning from the shooting and ignored all scandals tossed at her. But now that she’s back on track, it’s time to deal with all the false gossip in the media. 

Sena sitting in the office, she felt truly funny at this moment. She tapped her fingers on the wooden tabletop while skimming through the numerous hate messages, accusations etc on her SNS page. After she settled the company affairs, she lazily browsed the growing number of followers and picked one comment with the most likes which were sent by Liu Zhang Min.

MintyMin@Sena: [I don’t understand why people suddenly like you. You are not a good person. You left us hanging when we most needed you.]

Sena chuckled, here they go again playing the victim game. Zhang Min wanted to use her to bounce back in fame after her family’s casino scandal and the method seems to work. She received multiple attention after staging herself as a whistleblower to Sena’s misdeeds. 

Sena rarely posts on her page and is even rarer to reply to comments but this time she clapped back chicly on Zhang Min’s post: [Darling, I have long given up the use of plastics because they are not only harmful to the environment but me. Best decision of my life!] 

There were plenty more messages on her wall but her phone lying on top of a book chose to ring at this moment. She picked up the matte black mobile and read the message. 

“Sena,” It was Sydney texting from the shooting location. “The shooting is on its last scene and we are about to wrap it up. We would like to invite you to see it for yourself and also join the celebratory dinner.” 

She looked at the calendar and smiled wryly, November is almost over and the theatres are mostly occupied by international horror movies. The capital she injected helped them promote the movie on both television and the internet so now people are excited after seeing the initial trailer. Her fingers slid on the cold hard screen.

“You better prepare a grand closing scene or else…” 

Sydney’s next message was a thumbs-up emoji. “I guarantee that you will find it satisfactory. Oh, the food here won’t disappoint you as the variety show did.” He was ridiculing her mountain experience. Sydney then sent the exact address of the shooting location. 

By seven o’clock in the evening, Sena was also done with her dealings for this week and finally had time to spare for another scenery. They left the capital early in the morning for Sydney’s invitation to visit their teams' shooting location. She and April quickly took the pre-packed luggage for a two-day trip.

Driving out of town on a wide deserted road helped her mind relax. The trip was about forty-five minutes to another city. The place Sydney said is situated quite far from the crowded district. There are wide fields on both sides of the road and the place he was talking about is on the highlands overlooking a lake. There is an air BnB about three-floors high on the right side of the road. It was made of timber and stones and cantilevered on the hillside with gorgeous views. 

Coincidentally, as she drove by the driveway she saw Alexis Che pulling a trolley inside. Her coloured hair was dyed black now and was tied into a ponytail. She wore a light dress highlighting her youthful face that was usually covered by heavy makeup. But no matter how behaved she appeared, Sena would never forget how she will soon ruin Chang’an’s future.

She ignored the figure and continued on the road further up. Alexis seemed to feel a gaze directed at her, but there was no one when she turned around. 

They drove under the canopy of trees for five minutes until finally reaching a clearing where eight or more wooden cottages were built. Amidst the sea of yellow and saffron colours, the cottages looked like cute gingerbread houses with their painted walls and windows. The ladies quite liked it. At the entrance is a wooden sign sticking out of the fence that says: Highland Lodge. From where they stood, Sena could see white tents erected on the side and several filming equipments. 

“Boss, I think this is the place.” April said.  

These days, some hikers who wanted to soak in the hot spring stop in this place to rest but because of the lack of resting areas, the tourists do not stay for long. Later, the villagers thought of converting the old abandoned houses of the former residents for accommodation instead of just letting them sit and rot. They parked their car in the wide space outside the lodge, collected their bags and made their way inside.

The film crew gathered in the largest tent were currently having their breakfast and talking about their experiences during filming and how they have learned new techniques, even the mistakes they made. Everyone is new to the field, even the actors they cast. 

When Sena and April came they were greeted enthusiastically by everyone. There were less than thirty people in the tent, all of which were sitting under low tables. The atmosphere was light and easy, there was no air of any huge production group but more like a reunion of close college buddies.  

Surprisingly, Michael was also there eating his meal.  

“Here comes the lady boss and her gorgeous secretary!” Ramsy stood and attentively led her to a vacant seat near Michael. “For those who don't recognise this ravishing beauty right here, this is Sena Erde folks, the one who sponsored our little film and the ever-helpful Ms April.”

“Hello, Miss Sena! Hello Miss April.” 

“Thank you for the added capital. You saved us from eating junk food!” 

They were welcomed by a round of applause from the giddy and merry crew. Sena generously waved her hand to them before putting her butt on the cushion. April took the opposite end. In the corner seat far from the rest, the actor playing the male lead secretly moved his hand on his phone and typed out messages and sent it. Done with his task he resumed eating, when Sena came his eyes then quickly drifted on to her. 

Why, isn’t this the rumoured problem child? He heard she joined a famous variety show. Who would have thought that the mysterious sponsor their director and heads were talking about was her? This is definitely a big scoop! The infamous airhead Sena Erde is out investing in such a bad movie. It’s going to cause another sensation. 

On the other side of the table… 

“You came early,” Michael whispered when Sena seated. 

“April and I both woke up early.” She replied thinking he was referring to her schedule. 

“I mean you didn’t drive with–”

The tent flap was pushed again sending in Nicholas’ tall figure in a casual blue shirt and jeans. “I’m not late, am I?”

“Just in time,” Chang’an said. 

“Hurry up before the food is gone.” Ramsy joked while pointing at the diminishing breakfast on the table. 

“Speak of the devil and the devil comes.” Michael grinned. “Hey yo, Nikk! Over here, I have the beauty sitting beside me.” 

Could this guy be any louder? Everyone is looking at them now. Sena slapped her forehead in embarrassment. When her eyes collided with Nicholas both of them smiled. 

“Hi.” Nicholas saw her waving at him so he chose to take the vacant seat beside her. “Enjoying your day?”

Sena nodded, “I just arrived, I didn’t know you would come as well.” 

“Why, want to hitch a ride?” She grimaced for a reply. “I saw your car on the way up here and guessed that you must have come for the closing party.” 

“I don’t think this is going to be the last party the crew is holding,” Sena said confidently, making him quirk an eyebrow. 

His eyes crinkled making his expression a lot softer, “If that’s the case then, congratulations for another worthwhile investment.”

Michael looked at the two of them feeling abandoned. Poor him could only watch his best friend and business partner whisper at each other while he took small sips of bitter soup made from goat’s bile. That little shit Nicholas, he already forgot the universal agreement forged in blood: pals before gals. 

The rest of the guys also looked at their pair with hate and envy on their eyeballs. 

Since it was too early, the staff settled their sponsor in one of the cabins. Sena and April were given a yellow-coloured cabin with potted petunias on the window sill. When they had settled their things, the ladies took advantage of the free time and worked on their laptops. Sena took off her blazer and hung it on a hook on the wall.  

Lunch was sent in and none of the staff disturbed them. By two in the afternoon, she was given coffee. Sena took a sip of coffee then hammered her waist and yawned after concluding the meeting. She lazily stood up from the bed dragging her numb legs back to life. April finished earlier and went outside to sightsee. 

“Done? Come out soon, everyone is outside.” Nicholas said as soon as she came down. 

Her eyes went to the bag of chips sitting quietly beside him then to his face. She hadn’t seen him holding this when they came and the last grocery store she saw was at least a quarter of an hour drive down to the town. Did this guy spend his afternoon driving back and forth just for a bag of Doritos?

When she looked up, she saw Nicholas approaching slowly. The sharp outline of his face is getting closer and closer making her breath stuck in her throat, the air seemed to stop as his warmth mixed with the scent of woody pine and grass teased the tip of her nose.  

“The temperature up here is much lower than in the city, you better wrap up.” He said, stretching his hand further.

Bam! 

Sena felt trapped. “I-I’m alright…” 

“Listen to me,” he gave her a stare down along with the deep compelling voice. Then to her embarrassment, the man whom she thought would press her on the wall and steal a kiss plucked her tweed blazer hung behind then expertly draped it on her back. “Wear this properly.” 

Sena wanted to die right at this moment. The frozen air flowed once again but her embarrassment did not fade away. 

“Raise your hand.” He urged while helping her put on the sleeves jerkily. “The temperature drops sharply at night. You might catch a cold if you’re not careful.” 

Sena mechanically followed despite her blush. Her fingers were icy when he touched them and without a word, Nicholas rubbed them gently before pulling the sleeves and putting a woollen bonnet on her head. When she was all dressed and snug like a burrito, he nodded his head so satisfied with his work. 

When the two of them came out, April was quietly sitting under the mango tree having a staring game with Jacob who was also at a loss on what to do. 

“President!” He stood up as soon as he saw Nicholas. 

“What are you doing here?” Didn’t he leave this person in the city?

Jacob cried inwardly, “I’m your secretary.” 

“I know,” the heartless employer replied faintly. “I was kind enough to give you a day off but you chose to chase my ass instead? You’re too addicted to working, it’s not healthy.”

Day… Day off?! Jacob was stunned by a thunderclap. 

Who doesn't want it?! The problem is he did not make it clear from the beginning, making him panic thinking that his employer has escaped work once again!  

“Alright, if you want to work very much, then work it is,” Nicholas said helplessly as if telling him: you asked for it. 

“President, I didn’t know. Can I take back what I said?”

“Where’s your integrity?”

Jacob: And where’s your conscience?!

In the end, he could only doggedly follow behind the corporate slave driver in charge of his overall career and livelihood. 

The film crew was busy for the next take when they arrived. Today’s scene is at an old house surrounded by acacia trees. It was formerly a vacation home of Sydney’s grandparents in the ’80s but was long abandoned when the family developed in Capital City. From years of neglect, the formerly white walls and iron gates are now worn making it look sombre and eerie.

A perfect site for a supernatural scene. 

Sena walked on the stone-paved walkway with ease regardless of everyone’s stare. Their group walking in a high profile manner looked conspicuous among the crowd of working people. April today wore a colourful yellow skirt and black turtle neck top, both Nicholas and Jacob are still in their business suits, while she wore a red pencil skirt with powder blue lace sleeved top. 

“I heard you came. I’m sorry I didn’t see you soon,” Another giant of a guy with fluffy chestnut hair came out from inside the house and welcomed them warmly. The tribal neck tattoo looked incongruent to his cheerful face.  

“Hey Syd, we’re here as invited. Don’t you dare say it’s not convenient.”

Sydney rolled his eyes and casually took her hand “Would I dare sweetheart? Wait, wow!” He exclaimed all of a sudden. “You look gorgeous!”

“You mean to say I was ugly before?”

“Oh, why are you like this?!” He cringed exaggeratedly.

Sena was puzzled, “Like what?”

“Like a girl.” 

“Hate to break this to you but I am indeed a girl.”

“Nah, what I’m saying is that you are finally behaving like a genuine one. Don’t you know, only girls can turn a nice compliment into an argument.” 

Sena laughed.

“But I was serious. I had always known you are a gem. Even blind people can see that. If not for your sucky acting skills we would love to cast you in our film.” Sydney rattled on. 

Nicholas frowned. Smooth talker. He didn’t know Sena had such people around her. The Tang brothers are very affectionate but polite, Michael on the other hand would throw in a few teasing remarks but he doesn’t move his claws around holding Sena here and there. 

What should he do? He suddenly missed his favourite set of tactical knives. It looks like those need to be sharpened as soon as possible.  

Jacob noticed that his boss’s face seemed to be wrong. He was smiling as if thinking about something amusing. But the smile wasn’t comforting at all; it gave him goosebumps.  

“Thank you for trusting us,” Sydney said a little later after they walked around watching the shooting process.

“No thanks, I have read the script and was fascinated as well. It’ll be such a shame not to see it to its full potential.”

The main actors were both new celebrities and graduated from Spark School of Performing Arts. As rookies with no backing, their position in their chosen agency is naturally low. Most of the energy and resources of the agency flow towards their colleagues who are currently popular and this film was perfunctorily selected for them just so the agency can fulfil their side of the contract. 

Sena knew they would become hot after this movie hit the theatres. But not everything was smooth sailing. As your career rises, those who come to pick on your faults will be frequent and it was too bad that their company was sloppy when it comes to caring for their talents. 

“Everyone here is a newcomer?” Nicholas asked, subtly putting himself on Sena’s right side. 

“They are. This is a project of those three, while Sydney and Ramsy were up here dividing work in between settling the shooting site and talking to the residents, Chang’an remained in the city to look for possible sponsors.”

It’s only a low-cost movie with an original budget of two million collected from their savings. Because of the lack of funds, it was difficult for them to hire a large crew, Chang’an doubles as producer/production designer, Sydney is the film’s director and Ramsy worked closely with him as cinematographer/screenwriter. Aside from them, there is only Yuya as a lighting technician and two more guys recruited. 

Nicholas also read the script from Michael and liked it. Looking around, he can see that there are more hands now aside from the actors’ team. 

Under the tent, sitting on a folding chair Michael fiddles with a computer. The noise in the background doesn’t seem to bother him much and he went on with his work. 

“Go and help,” Nicholas patted Jacob’s back and shoved him towards Michael’s location. “I will double your year-end bonus.” 

Double? I’ll have you know that Aiguelle’s paycheck and bonuses are very generous even to its ordinary employees, what more to its ranked staff? His salary as EA is already hefty added by a fat bonus every year Jacob can already be called well-off. If you double that… The wilted Jacob who thought he was going to be miserable resurrected with renewed strength. “Yes, president!”

Ten seconds later, no shadow of Jacob can be seen lurking around the site any longer.

“Will he be alright in there?” Sena hesitated. 

“He’s good at it. Let him stay to familiarize himself with the whole process. He can also take over if the schedule becomes inconvenient to Mike. Other than him, Michael will not allow anyone else to meddle with his work let alone assist. With Jacob helping, there will be less delay.” 

“Oh,” Sena nodded her head in understanding. 

“Thank you for this,” Sydney added, “we are short on hands.” 

Nicholas gave a cordial response, “No problem.”

When the filming took place the sun was about to set, Sena watched the actors act out their roles as they did in the movie she saw. With the absence of special effects and music, she found it less scary and eventually let out a big yawn. 

The filming officially finished at about seven in the evening just in time for a hearty dinner. The crew booked the entire hall of the BnB nearby as preparation for tonight. They heard that the chef formerly worked for a three-star Michelin restaurant in Europe so the food is guaranteed to be sumptuous. Michael and Jacob were the last to come out and walked towards the reserved place where everyone had gathered. Knowing Nicholas’s punctuality to time, they wondered whether he would be impatient waiting this long for a meal. The two exchanged glances and subconsciously picked up their pace. 

As expected, Nicholas is already at the end of his patience. He glanced at this watch the second time and looked at them.

“We forgot the time,” Michael said, touching his nape. 

Nicholas looked at him briefly and nodded. 

Jacob felt a little nervous. The Aiguille Conglomerate owes its influence and power to its century-old rule. But entering a new era has put even a giant through numerous storms, with Nicholas taking over the helm, the company has maintained its steady voyage and has undergone a successful transition towards the future. 

Such a figure has always maintained discipline. One of the main reasons why he seems to be too strict and mature for his age. But despite his odd temper, he is no doubt a golden bachelor among his generation. It's a pity that despite his lack of intimate relationships the man himself is unattainable... even to those who seem to be close acquaintances.

While being careful not to further irritate his boss, Jacob heard a seemingly gentle voice. “Sena, the soup made by the chef is good for your body. Drink it first while it’s warm.” 

Jacob tripped on the floorboards.

Michael shivered in disgust. 

He’s probably possessed! They thought unilaterally. How could Nicholas own such a sticky and gentle voice? They never once heard him use that to his fellow human beings!

The two looked in front and found Nicholas holding a bowl of ordinary mushroom soup, it couldn't be any more ordinary, but he was offering it as if it was the most precious treasure. His gaze was intimate, and the smile on his face was bright; anyone who is not blind can see unconcealed adoration from it.  

Jacob: Who is this man?! 

Michael: He must have hit his head severely. I would like to steal a shot to commemorate this special day. 

The celebration went on for another hour, Sena ate Sydney’s recommendation and pulled Chang’an in the balcony after. Everyone began to disperse before ten in the evening except Sydney, Ramsy and Chang’an who were a little dizzy from drinking.  

“Will they be alright?” Sena asked worriedly while looking at the taillights of the departing SUV. 

“Don’t worry, Michael is a good driver and if he fails there is still Jacob. He will deliver them home scratch-free.” 

There were only the two of them in the gravel driveway, when they were certain that the others had left Sena went back to settle the cancellation of the room the guys booked earlier. On the way out, she met an unexpected person. 

“Oh my God, Sena it is you!” An exaggerated exclamation made the other guest turn towards them. 

Sena who was having a good time also turned to the familiar voice ruining her day. 

“Oh, it’s Mr Miles.” She looked at Lyndon Miles' tired unimpressed eyes then snorted inwardly: of all the places to run into him. However, no matter how repulsive she is of them she did not show it on her face and maintained a generous attitude.

The ladies around the area looked at him with curious gazes. As expected of someone born with good genes, he can attract a lot of butterflies wherever he goes. Lyndon wouldn’t be popular back in school if he wasn’t good looking as a fairy tale hero and his family background. The man knows how to use his assets to his full advantage. 

“Fancy meeting you here.” Sena gave a flawless smile and took it upon herself to extend a hand.

Lyndon was bewitched, he gently returned her handshake and withdrew quickly fearing she would find him displeasing again. 

“You haven’t been answering my calls to your office. I was beginning to think you were avoiding me.” 

Sena seemed to be surprised and amused by his words. She chuckled then waved her hand off airily and pretended to be angry. “Nonsense. I was swamped with work these past few weeks and attended a show. I was gone for quite a while.”   

“Is that so?” He hesitated. 

Wavy dark hair and skin as fine as ivory. There is a hint of smile and allure at the arc of those full lips. He marvelled at the beauty in front of him again and was reminded of his rash actions during middle school. The sweet teenager who exudes impeccable elegance at every gesture might have been his now. Unfortunately, he can not reverse time but he can still make amends. He believes that there is no woman out there completely immune to his charms. 

“I’m sorry for jumping to conclusions then.” Lyndon smiled apologetically. 

Nope, you’re right. She thought but said. “It’s not a big deal. We’re all adults here.” She even squinted playfully. 

Those who knew Lyndon as the mayor’s nephew and one of the golden bachelors of Capital City regarded him as prince charming and saw Sena getting close to him is a witch trying to hook him. What the hell? Just because she is a little pretty that she got Lyndon’s attention! How dare she act cutely in front of him?! Everyone had unfavourable opinions not knowing that there was someone outside who was much displeased by their interaction. 

Nicholas watched the conversation between Sena and Lyndon with a deep furrow between his eyebrows. A black storm brewed in his eyes while his whole person let out an arctic chill intimidating those who were nearby. 

Why the hell is that kind of flea lingering around her for so long? Didn’t she ask for his help last time that pest came to her? (Chapter 22)

When he first saw Lyndon Miles he knew he was the dangerous kind but the people around him treated him respectfully. Unfortunately, they can only read on the surface unaware of the rotted personality beneath. He can leave it alone as long he doesn’t threaten his interest but seeing that he is trying his hand on Sena… 

“Are you planning to stay here?” Lyndon asked. “It’s a nice place worthy of praise, I also have a business meeting here. What a coincidence.” 

Sena shook her head. “I’m heading home.” 

Home? His tone turned concerned. “It’s already very late and the safety around this area is not guaranteed. If you like I can drive you back.”

“No thanks, I have someone with me.” She refused quickly. 

He was keen on impressing her to reconcile their broken friendship and didn't seem to hear what she said, “I’m sorry, what do you have…?” 

A shadow came up from behind and spoke coldly. “A karate 8th Dan black belt and sharpshooter boyfriend.” 

Lyndon’s smile froze and fell.  

Sena choked on her saliva and was thrown into coughing fits. The way Nicholas looked at her looked like one of those husbands who caught their wives cheating. He gave her a sweet sweet smile and lovingly patted her back. “The weather is getting colder. Baby should wear thicker clothes next time, hm?”

Baby, your face. I almost bit my tongue! She looked at him sharply.  

The petty king Nicholas blocked Lyndon’s sight of her smoothly. He gave the other man a business smile that didn’t reflect any kind of humour or goodwill. Lyndon recalled where he met Nicholas and was reminded of Ren's open house party several months ago. He was also that man who was with Sena when he tried to approach her the first time. 

A fire lit up in his eyes. He’s just an unknown entrepreneur. Compared to the Miles family, he is nothing. He can still steal Sena back if he puts his mind to it.

“Let’s go?” Nicholas urged the lady in his arms.

Sena was grateful for giving her the opportunity to slip away so she quickly agreed. They nodded towards Lyndon and left the BnB like a real loving couple. But they reached the parking lot and Nicholas still refused to let her hand go. 

“What’s wrong?” She asked. 

Nicholas didn’t speak and just gazed at her solemnly. The cold wind blew stirring the tendrils on her cheeks, he gently held the strands and tucked them behind her ear. To her surprise, Nicholas leaned down and bumped his forehead to hers. 

“I don’t know if you’re deaf or just simply ignoring me on purpose.” He murmured, pulling her close to him. So close she could again smell his scent at the tip of her nose. “You agreed, right?”

Her mind was in chaos. Agreed on what exactly?! 

The moment she felt his arms close in alarm bells sounded in her head. Something’s off about him tonight. 

“Nikki…” 

The air shifted out of nowhere. The surrounding seemed warmer and she could hear her heartbeat loudly in her ears. Not this thing again. He was going to tease her and pretend he did nothing. 

“You’re comfortable calling my nickname,” Nicholas said with a smile in his voice. “Don’t change it in the future.” 

His tall nose rubbing on hers, those thin lips a little downturned as if sad. “You like me, right Sena?” Strong and handsome facial features were just a hair's breadth away leaving her no room to refute, Sena cried inwardly. What possessed him all of a sudden? This man is acting foul!

“Nicholas, you are being cheeky. It’s not funny.” She snorted and tried to push him away. 

Nicholas patted her butt. “Stay still.”

“You!” Her eyes flashed angrily. “Y-You still have the audacity to accuse me of liking you when you are the one clinging on to me like this?”

She wriggled out of him. He wasn’t giving in. 

“Isn’t it the other way around? You’re the one who likes me!” She sneered. 

“Hmm,” he groaned, looking at her as if amused at her indignant expression. “If it’s true?”

His confession made her laugh. “See?” Then she paused after realizing what just occurred. 

This man… 

“I like you. I like you so much it makes my teeth itch. So are you going to kick me and call me a pervert for hugging you?”

Itch? Sena gritted her teeth and gave him a ferocious frown, “You, you, you are impossible!”

“But you like me, right?” He grinned, tightening his arms on her waist. “Right?”

Sena avoided his eyes glittering with mirth. “This isn’t how confessions are supposed to be.”

Nicholas was unfazed, “Whichever works, I will shamelessly use it.”

Damn guy confessed to her in the freaking parking lot! God knows how much restraint she had to muster not to punch his perfectly smug face. Nicholas rubbed his nose to her cheeks and sniffed. 

Lordy, I seem to have gotten myself a huge dog. And she just adopted a cat not long ago. 

“Nicholas, this is highly inappropriate.” 

“I assure you it's not.” She felt him laughing silently and sucked her cheek all of a sudden. She was about to say something again when she heard people approaching.

“The person said Chang’an is in room 22A and has drunk quite a lot. I’m nervous, is this going to work?”

“It will work. Didn’t his mother say it’s alright to do this? Once it’s done, he won't be able to do anything except take responsibility.” 

Sena frowned. Alexis Che is friends with Sophie Qin? The two women walked cautiously heading towards the resort. Nicholas looked at her with an inquiry. 

She mouthed: They’re bad news. 

“Sophie, why are you helping me?” Alexis asked. “What’s in it for you?”

Sophie gave a melancholic smile. “Nothing. I just want to see your love fulfilled… perhaps because I failed mine.”

“Oh, so the rumours are true that you liked Leonard Tang.”

“He is married now. Although it’s painful, I have to accept this fact.” 

“I didn’t know he was that kind of man. Don’t worry, once I marry Chang’an I can make him the future head of Tang Group. Our Che family will support him. His elder brother doesn’t deserve that position… he and his wife were so cruel to do this to you.”   

Sophie smiled bitterly and even had the gall to look like the aggrieved party. “It’s all in the past. Leo never acknowledged my feelings so let’s just let it go.”

Sena was furious. What bullshit is this mentally handicapped Madonna cooking? Just because she wasn’t able to snag big brother Leo she colluded with Alexis Che to ruin Chang’an. Her chest rose and fell rapidly, feeling angry, sad and murderous all of a sudden. 

These people… they were the reason! 

She no longer wondered where Alexis Che got the idea of choking Chang’an with a marriage leash. Sophie was the mastermind and his mother gave consent.

11