61. Going To The Movies
465 6 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Nicholas manoeuvred the car safely to the side and hit on the breaks. His movement was abrupt; he knocked his left elbow on the door. The SUV continued forward leaving behind a trail of laughter floating above the booming music from its sound system. Nicholas did not care for that and quickly checked on the girl frozen in the passenger seat. He walked out of the car and went to open her side. She looked ashen and terrified, he cupped her face for comfort.

“Are you alright? How are you?” 

Shit. Her skin was as cold as ice and her body was slightly shaking.

“Good god! What on earth— we almost,” Sena stumbled on her words despite her attempt to appear casual about it. 

“It’s alright.” His deep voice sounded near her ears. He reached out his hand taking her fingers into his warm handclasp. “They’re gone now. It’s safe.” 

Sena nodded frantically, “I, I guess we better hurry up.” 

The two sighed after that near miss and continued to Paragon posthaste. Nicholas held her close until they reached their floor and arrived at her front door. 

“I’m sorry that spoiled such a good night and became a bad experience.”

“No, no” Sena waved frantically. He didn’t have to apologize.  

“There will be no next time.” His warm voice soothed her nerves and when he held out his other hand, she felt herself being drawn up to an embrace. His left hand slid to her elbows up to her spine giving her a gentle rub. 

Nicholas had been observing her reaction when he pulled her, as a result, the girl’s ears down to her neck turned adorably pink. When his hand softly caressed her back, he felt another tremor from her body. 

When her fright subsided, she became keenly aware that she had been held closely by him. Her breasts were pressed up tightly to a solid wall of chest but Nicholas still did not let go. “My back. D-Don’t tickle…”  

Nicholas heard the kitten-like murmur and felt the person squirm restlessly on his arms. “No?”

Sena shrunk her neck like a chicken. 

He was able to resist at first until dark fire slowly loomed in the depths of his eyes. It wasn’t his intention to tease her but after discovering this secret, he moved his fingers again to her waist and pinched gently. “Ah!”

The gasp caught him by surprise; he almost did not catch her body when Sena’s knees buckled after losing strength.

“Oh, sorry.” Nicholas tightened his hand on her waist, fixed the person and cleared his throat.  

Sena tilted her head up and looked at him accusingly. “Rogue. I guess I did not have to worry if you’re fine.”

“Were you worried?” 

“Not anymore.”  

“Good, but it would be a lie to say that I wasn’t caught off guard by the accident.” 

A bell-like chuckle came out of her mouth completely driving away that paralyzing fright she felt this evening. “Not scared but just caught off guard?” 

He nodded while shamelessly flashing a confident smile. 

Sena shook her head in disgust and playfully sounded regretful, “It wouldn’t hurt to admit you were spooked too. I would look utterly silly to appear to be the only one who suffered tonight. Be a gentleman at least.” 

“No. I’m determined to wash my image clean after you mistook me for a call boy not so long ago.” He said almost a whine. 

Unable to keep a straight face, Sena covered her mouth and laughed. Her shoulders shook violently. 

“It appears my decision is correct. You still remember.” He said with sham sadness. 

She looked at him guiltily, waved her hand off then looked up to him with a beaming smile. Nicholas’s gaze dropped from her mirthful eyes to that intoxicating smile, and his heart missed a beat. Her face opens up brightly when she’s happy, it’s difficult to look away.

“I’m sorry, that was rude of me,” Sena said sheepishly, faint pink dusted her cheeks. When looking up at him, she subconsciously licked her dry lips. 

Nicholas’ breathing hitched and his throat became dry. Annoyed with himself, he pulled his gaze away from the potent lure of that petal-like mouth. “You can only make up for me.”

She nodded obediently. 

“Say, a lunch date?” He murmured. 

Sena felt his hand on her face, softly rubbing and exploring. The mood was right, she found the scorching gaze about to burn her but when she bravely faced him head on the expected kiss did not fall. 

“Good night, Sena,” Nicholas said in a somehow repressed voice. 

After sending her in, Nicholas returned to his place as if nothing happened. Sena awkwardly reminded him to ice his elbow, she just hopes he listens and doesn't let it swell. She washed and slipped into her home clothes intending to rest when she recalled the plate number of the SUV. She sent it to uncle Jess for investigation and if they’re quick, they’ll get the result in a few hours.

Tired from the premiere night, she easily drifted off to sleep and had no time to think about Nicholas’s sudden odd change. In another unit, Nicholas sat dazed in front of the computer, his jaw locked tightly and his expression grim. He wasn’t happy not because of the accident on the road but because of his inability to rein in his reaction whenever he was with Sena. He nearly lost control of his emotions when he finally held that soft and pliant body in his arms again. 

When those twinkling eyes looked at Nicholas, he found himself solely being reflected in them as if he alone was all she could see. It should have been a gratifying feeling and for the first time, he felt that he didn’t mind going along with it. Every smile, every gesture she made and even her scent had driven him to the edge of losing himself but, it was not a good thing. No, he wasn’t entirely glad about being out of control for someone. His interest in Sena had been an ordinary response to her wit and charm, his desire was born out of admiration when faced with a captivating face but not this newly found possessive lust. He had never been so eager to chase someone. Nor has he experienced such a profound physical reaction to a woman. 

A quick tumble in the sheets could easily solve this problem but, after that what? He couldn’t risk breaking what they have now. He was her first man and he intended to leave her that good memory but the longer he lingers beside her the more he wanted to covet her. Nicholas pinched the bridge of his nose and exhaled in frustration. He’d been contradicting himself lately. 

But he had no idea that his views and thoughts have long changed the moment he thought about her feelings more than his comfort. 

Nicholas opened his computer to search for the same plate number Sena remembered and found that the SUV is registered to a car rental agency. After staring grimly at the glowing screen, Nicholas sent the information to a friend to further investigate it. He doesn’t believe that what happened was purely out of recklessness, there has to be a motive. 

Early the next morning, the first thing Sena recalled was her neighbour. Unable to get some peace of mind, after she fed the kitten she walked out and knocked on another unit. Jacob was the one who opened the door for her. The man in the neat black suit is diligently preparing breakfast in the dining room like a little housewife. 

“President will be up soon,” Jacob said amiably and looked at his watch. “If you will excuse me, Miss, I have to fetch something from the restaurant below. Please take a seat in the meantime.” 

She didn’t know why Jacob had dodgy eyes and seemed to have a fire on his butt as he escaped through the door for his errand. 

“Weird guy.” She muttered.

The unit was the same size as her with two floors and double-height ceilings. Compared to her warm pastels, the colour scheme of Nicholas’ apartment is mostly grey, black and dark blue. There are potted plants and a tall wall garden facing the living room, their lush green colour looked very alive amid the black and grey tones appearing fresh in the eyes. Nicholas was taking a shower in his room while she rifled through luxury magazines on the table. A little while later her phone received his message:

Nikki: Are you up? Good morning!

Sena: Good morning. I’m up. 

She wanted to add that she was in his living room when mischief won over her. She wanted to see how he would react when he saw her there. Nicholas said he wanted to take her somewhere, Sena looked at herself and decided it was alright for a walk. She doesn’t have the vaguest idea where he wanted to go but a white cotton pullover, jeans and a pair of rubber shoes seem alright. Something smart and casual at the same time if ever he decided they go to the bowling alley instead. 

“Hey!” Nicholas took a step back after coming out of his room. He only had jeans on when he saw a certain someone sitting so prim and proper in his living room. 

Sena’s eyes flew to his forehead the second it registered on her brain he had no shirt. His hair dripped with water that trickled from his neck down to the rock hard muscle of his abdomen. Sena subconsciously tilted her head to the side. She already knows how those feel…  

A fresh blush crept up her face. The polite thing to do is to turn her head away but she knew temptation was too great to resist. And besides, if the man is purposefully showing off, she reasoned, there should be someone to appreciate it. Yep, appreciation with a dash of curiosity and not because she’s fascinated. She’d keep her eye on a lion if it was going to eat her, wouldn’t she? 

But as interesting as the experience seemed to be, Sena wished he’d hurry up and change. She would be labelled a pervert if she kept the pretense any longer! Oh, he had such a nice figure. Wait, is the living room is getting hotter? 

Nicholas stood staring at her with amusement gleaming in his eyes. Guessing the reason why she suddenly turned stiffer than a park statue. He made a step towards Sena with an unflinching gaze making her whole body a lot more rigid. 

“Do you mind?” He said ducking by her left side, almost brushing her arm as he swiped the towel off the couch armrest. “I forgot about it.” 

For a moment there when the male scent invaded her nose, her traitorous body began to soften and it made Sena feel terribly ashamed of her reaction. While he furiously towelled his hair dry She distracted herself by looking away and eventually noticed something odd in his movements. He seems to be dragging his left arm, without asking she grabbed it to see what’s wrong and sure enough, she saw it. A patch of a fresh red-violet bruise right above his elbow. 

“We need to ice it.” 

“What?” He seemed confused. Not to be mean but she had to press it to get her point across. “It’s nothing.” 

“You didn’t ice it last night?” She asked, throwing him an incredulous look.

He pulled back abruptly. “It’s fine.”

“Fine.” Sena snorted standing up, she stepped out of his way and walked to the door when he chased her back in a span of six seconds. 

“Alright.” He conceded in a helpless voice while clinging to her hand. 

Nicholas slumped on the floor under her seat where his shoulder leaned on her knees. Resigned to his fate, he sat obediently back and looked up to her pitifully like a tiny animal unloved by its owner. Sena let out an amused laugh. The Dumpling at her home is the same whenever she nags it for ripping her papers. Nicholas can also turn his face fast. Well, that saves her a trip to get the homoeopathic gel she has. 

“Are you letting me ice it?”

He nodded weakly. 

“Then I’ll help myself to your abode.” She said cheekily and started her way to the kitchen. As she walked through the living room, she passed by a minibar and saw an ice bucket on the wooden countertop. She took it on the way and went to the kitchen to get a towel and an ice pack. 

Nicholas leaned back on the couch with legs stretched on the carpet and followed her every move in silence. Sena returned briefly looking ready and friendly but, the moment she iced him all his nice thoughts about her flew away.  

The dear girl must have done it on purpose. 

“Might as well hit me with it.” He muttered between wincing and clenching his teeth.

“What’s the matter? Not very tolerant of pain?” 

“No.” He answered in a low voice. There is gooseflesh breaking out of his skin looking quite funny. 

They were looking at the same spot and had their faces only a few centimetres away. 

“Well, it sounds lame but I don’t like ice rubbing on my skin. It makes me feel tingly.”

“Tingly as in uncomfortable?”

“Like a fork dragging on a plate kind of uncomfortable.” He added. 

“Oh!” Her hand stopped. “You should have said so earlier.” 

The whiny Nicholas was a delightful surprise she never thought she’d see, however, the feeling of deriving fun from his suffering made her feel guilty so she decided to be nicer to him. She removed the ice and dunk it back in the bucket. “Sorry but your elbow needs to be treated.”

“I can tolerate the tingling, it’s no big deal. It’s better than acting like a wuss.” He turned with a smirk.

“No big deal when you’re sweating like this?” She said in mock horror. 

She was later hit with a realization that their relationship has gotten a lot closer where they can easily argue over trivial things. In fact, they were so used to it that it somehow felt natural to exchange silly conversations like grade school kids. Of course, time breeds familiarity and they have known each other for quite a while. Nicholas is a very amiable person and has impeccable manners when treating his peers or people working under him. He can engage in any form of conversation that makes his companions feel appreciated and respected but that’s only as long as it doesn’t involve his personal life. 

With an inner sigh, Sena smiled wryly to herself. She had long known that this seemingly charming and liberated person is a very complex man underneath. 

“Thank you,” Nicholas murmured, returning her gaze with a warm friendly smile. 

Actually, no. Sena corrected. His smile wasn’t the warm platonic type she wanted to believe, it was intimate and she is very aware of it. It was a smile a man gives a woman to convey his attraction. Nicholas’ pursuit had always been put plainly in front of her. She is not some innocent twenty-one-year-old girl any longer who’s blind to people sending her signals but it was also because of this that she figured that though Nicholas can be very amiable and sexually available anytime, he is not the kind to easily commit himself emotionally. 

She was busy and exhausted in her past life, after experiencing the long years of being dull and alone she now has a stronger desire to find someone to spend the rest of her life with or at least add colour to her youth.

From months of knowing him, the only thing she can confidently say about him is that he is incredibly gentle. Every person has their barriers and she did not want to forcibly pry on them. Nicholas’ reluctance to share anything private about him sent an alarm to her brain not to hope for more. Facing a man who is a complete puzzle gave her a feeling of gazing into a chasm and the last thing she needed right now is to be emotionally tangled. She did try to know more of him by opening up about herself perhaps in hopes of seeing a bit of the real Nicholas but sadly, the man was too guarded and she had a sinking feeling that trying to uncover more will not do them any good. Perhaps, it’s fine to just maintain this relaxed relationship. 

“Do any of your family members like to read fashion magazines?” The question jumped out of her mouth before she could stop herself. 

Nicholas glanced at the glossy spread on top of the coffee table and answered perfunctorily. “It’s just something randomly put in there.” 

“Oh, I thought you’d point to one of your relatives as an excuse.”

“None of them have been in this place.” He said briefly.  

“Why?”

Nicholas was blank for a few seconds then shrugged and dismissed the topic with, “No time.”

Subtly, she felt his resistance to continue with the topic. Sena tore her gaze away from his profile and steered the conversation back to his bruise. The disappointment began to weigh on her chest. “If you don’t like ice, don’t just grit your teeth and endure it. We all have things we hate.”

Realizing that his answers were too abrupt and rude made him feel like a bastard. Nicholas’ nodded dumbly, “It’s been a while.”

“We can’t do anything about the bruising but we can’t let it turn uglier than it already is.” While saying so she grabbed the hand towel and rinsed it with ice-cold water to put on his elbow. “How’s this, better?”

“Bearable.” 

The bruise has an awful colour but at least he could still move his hand without feeling much pain. Sena thought of the homoeopathic gel in her first aid cabinet again. Nicholas went back to his room to put on a shirt after getting a cold compress. He wore a plain blue shirt and pants that she actually thought he would spend the day at home or something and wasn’t able to tell they would drive all the way to the mall to watch the horror film until she sat on his motorcycle. 

“We just attended the premiere night…” She said looking at the posters on the wall.

“I didn’t get to concentrate.” He said, pulling her to the ticketing booth and finally to the dimly lit corridor of the cinema. 

It was dark and cold inside making her heartbeat and temperature rise. 

The horror film Hermit ushered in a new kind of storytelling that is gripping, frightening and full of mystery. It rose to the top charts raking in 200 million dollars in its first week at the domestic box office. This result painfully slapped those who initially threw shade and heckled the movie. It was on fire! There were even so-called experts predicting that with the competition with international films, Hermit was going to flop. 

Unlike most jump-scare horrors, this movie relies on keeping the audience intrigued and constantly guessing how the events came to be and why the characters developed in such away. The movie revolves around a pair of fraternal twins, Neil and Arty. 

[[During summer, their family got into an accident while on their way to a picnic because they were fighting over a necklace. The mother died causing their father to be depressed. To help him recover, Neil, the twin with a sunny disposition suggested that they return to their old town in hopes of alleviating their dad’s condition. 

Arty, although reluctant, also agreed. The place was tranquil and conducive to his recovery, their father gradually got better. 

However, problems occurred soon. Just as their new life is starting, cases of mutilated people in the woodland near their home popped up. The family was at a loss but they could only silently endure. Every other day their father could be seen doing laundry in the backyard and fixing the broken things at home. Their neighbours began to look at them strangely and some even dared to drag a whole carcass of deer into their doorstep to bully them. Neil also noticed that every time Arty returned from school, he would always look dishevelled and dirty.

Strangely enough, his luck was so different from his twin. The neighbours were kind and enthusiastic towards him. He was liked by his classmates and teachers in school. This made him feel sorry for Arty who had always been timid and weak. He feels that he had taken all the luck and left him with nothing. 

Boggled with the disparity in treatment, Neil planned to follow and help his brother. One night on the way home, a group of gangs from out of town blocked Arty and brought him into the woods. Before Neil could rush out to help him. He witnessed a horrific sight. Arty who had been pushed and kicked suddenly convulsed on the ground writhing and bending into an impossible shape until his whole form changed.  

A giant shadow with an unknown shape began snapping its teeth at the ruffians who had been beating and cursing at him. He gnawed their flesh, severed their limbs and ate their guts. The monster suddenly stopped, seemingly sensing someone was watching him. It growled fiercely calling a swarm of bats and several insects to find the intruder. Frightened and unwilling, Neil ran away as fast as he could, afraid of those things to catch up and devour him. He reached home safely, changed his dirty clothes and hid under the covers. After that discovery, he vigilantly kept track of Arty. 

His brother completely changed into something he no longer recognized. 

The killings continued until Arty set his eyes on the president of Neil’s class. Neil ran home crying to his father. The man was in front of the chopping board processing a chicken. Neil then hurriedly explained everything he saw in hopes to rescue that class president. His father then looked at him heartbreakingly and asked him why he kept mentioning Arty. 

“Neil, stop being unreasonable.” The dad then sighed, seemingly frustrated. He raised his hand with the knife to scratch his brow. “Stop mentioning Arty. Your brother is already dead! He died with your mom in the accident and I know it’s still hard for you to accept but you have to move on.” 

Neil shook his head and staggered backwards. His foot slipped on the chicken blood on the tile dragging him down along with a stainless basin filled with blood. He cried, denying his dad’s words. Neil struggled back to his feet under his dad’s piteous gaze. While struggling, he caught himself in the mirror. There are bloodstains on his clothes, his hands and on his face. 

“Arty is dead together with mom.” His father said again. 

Neil wanted to vomit, then his eyes went to the stainless basin. It was clean. But the blood on his body remained. Neil fell to his knees and screamed as memories of the past summer returned. It turns out that the car accident was his fault for grabbing Arty’s necklace. Arty, who had an interest in the occult arts wanted to return to their hometown to attend a coming of age ceremony and reconnect with their ancestors. There was a legend in there about a mysterious cave that is said to be used only by the priests to communicate with the spirits. But until now, none of the outsiders has seen this cave except the illustrations and stories. 

Neil vehemently refuses because he doesn’t want to be tied with the ancient practice. These things gave him an extreme feeling of repugnance as he had been influenced by modern thinking and wanted to keep it that way. For him these old traditions of worshipping spirits, ghosts and whatnot is a bunch of nonsense. 

Neil hated the things his brother finds curious, going as far as calling him sick and threatening to throw the necklace. But his action caused the loss of his brother and mother, giving him a huge blow. It wasn’t his father who had depression. The one who was ill was him after all. He kept hallucinating about Arty that is why none of the neighbours seem to notice or know him. They were good towards Neil because they believe he is the successor of their cult because he wore Arty’s necklace. The carcasses of animals he saw before were offerings in hopes to appease him and curb his desire to eat human flesh.  

In the ending credits, Neil can be seen in a dirty white robe walking out of the secret cave. A necklace dangled on his neck. Then a score of crows hovers above the dismal sky as if welcoming his return. 

The youthful and sunny Neil was gone. His hands were dried out like tree bark, and fingernails were long and sharp.]]  

Looking at the long queue outside the cinema after they came out. Sena smiled softly. Those four eggheads did it better this time and the most gratifying thing is Chang’an is also free from the burden of a failed marriage. 

With her support and Michael adding new life to the visual effects, not to mention the grandiose premier night the movie was an even bigger success than it was before. Sena couldn’t be any happier when she saw the millions filling her bank account as a return for her investment. 

“What do you think?” She asked Nicholas about the movie objectively when they stopped by for lunch. 

“They have a huge potential. Those four were planning to set up a studio right after graduation, but one film is not going to be enough to establish their names in the entertainment industry. If they want to make it big out there, they have to produce another movie that will showcase more of their skills. The following ones have to be impactful and will leave a mark in the hearts of their audience.” 

“They can do it. Give it another year.” She said confidently. 

The person who broke the news about her joining the crew of Hermit and the one who maliciously slandered the film was later found out to be the main lead playing Neil. Even when Sena knew that he would do some tricks, he was still recruited to play the main role because she believed that Hermit reached its fame last life due to everyone's merit. She couldn’t care less what happens to him after. 

It appears that he received a career offer from a studio that was also planning to release the film by the end of November. But with Leo and Ramsy finding out what he had done, she doubts if he can still enter the entertainment industry smoothly. 

They were walking slowly around the mall when a person in a hurry bumped into her. 

“Careful.” Nicholas quickly held her waist for support, turned her body away and gave the man a cold look. 

The person stiffened and hurriedly went up the escalator while talking on the phone. 

“He must be looking for his date,” Sena commented. 

Nicholas smiled but as soon as she turned, his expression hardened. That wasn’t an accident, he saw a sharp pin sticking out of the man’s jacket. If he didn’t pull her away, the pin could have made a long gash on her arm. 

8