64. Dinner With Family
438 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The limousine cruised slowly on the wide road of the Capital City's central business district. Businessmen, lawyers and agents walked shoulder to shoulder around the busy sidewalk going inside their respective destination while the rest of the afternoon crowd found their way towards the 4th Street where the fashionable boutiques were located. 

Vloggers, photographers and paparazzi alike took this chance to aim their lenses at the large gathering of well-dressed people milling around the fashion enclave. Amidst this bustle, a long white limo with tinted windows slid through the traffic and pulled up to the driveway of the world-renowned Pytheas Hotel. The seamless side door opened. Mr and Mrs Luz’s expensive visage can be seen sitting in one corner of the backseat like any wealthy couple on their leisurely drive.  

At the same time, an Aston Martin One-77 came up from behind. The small size of it compared to the limousine made it easier for it to crawl up steadily. Men of all sorts stopped on their heels when they caught a glimpse of the matte black hypercar and its roaring engine. There was such magnetic appeal in its streamlined body and rare colour. But the second glance and the next told the men that money alone wouldn’t allow them to have this beauty. 

Almost immediately a valet came to receive the spare key from its owner. A lively Sena in her purple ankle boots and beige trench coat tossed the keys, “I’ll leave this up to you.”

“Count on me, miss.” The valet said as he drove away. 

Hair bouncing on big curls she took a step towards the lobby without even looking at the father and stepmother following shortly from behind. Sena did not immediately go to the private room causing her father to frown. 

Mr Albert Luz glanced impatiently at his watch. Where could that brat have been when they saw her just a quarter of an hour ago? Surely she’s not stalling for time. She had agreed to meet with them despite lacking interest whatsoever. He paid enough to let her agree. 

Or at least give her the impression that he was taking this conversation seriously. 

Maya sat primly on the burgundy velvet chaise across the ten-seater circular dining table. The private dining room of Pytheas Hotel is incomparable to many they have seen. The word world-class is stamped at every detail from the chandelier overhead, priceless dinnerwares to the gurgling waters of the artificial rockery of the lanai. Behind the credenza holding a valuable sculpture is a wall dominated by an embroidered orchid in silk. The Luz family who came along could not keep their eyes from exploring. 

“I heard the owner of this hotel is from a very wealthy family. The one that goes far back in the 1800s.” Yuni chirped, picking a glass of Cristal. “Gosh, even the wines here are superb.”  

“Pytheas started 42 years ago at the birth of the owner’s child. It only has 30 hotels in selected countries—” before Meribeth could finish the introduction she heard Mrs Luz snort.

“What, only 30 when it was built for so long? It has so few branches yet it is so expensive. It’s not like they’re a well-known name.”

“Uhm,” Meribeth hesitated, “It’s not how it works aunty. Pytheas is a widely acclaimed resort brand in the world because of its top-notch service, high profile clientele and the rarest locations. Most people don't hear of it…” she was hesitant to say that only the upper crust frequents this place.  

It was the same as saying that her aunt hasn’t heard of it because she does not belong in that category.  

Yuni rolled her eyes at her. “Well, it’s true that Pytheas is not widely known.” 

“Yuni is right.” Crisanta Luz stretched out on the soft chaise but before she could savour the comfort, a knock sounded on the door. The butler on standby moved smartly to let the person in. 

“I guess everyone is here,” Sena said, handing over her trench coat to the butler.

The heels of her ankle boots drummed on the marble floor making a rhythmic sound. Everyone was here and they were looking at her as if she were an alien. Too bad, she was no longer the quiet kind when facing the ‘family’. She held herself with confidence and no longer bothered what impression others thought of her. Crisanta Luz found this change highly irritating.   

“Let’s start the meal.” Albert Luz said. 

Sena smiled, sweeping her eyes all over the room where both her father and stepmother's relatives filled. “The earlier the better.” 

The butler closed the door behind her as she walked to the dining table before anyone else. She looked at home with her natural movements when pulling a chair and taking a seat. The jeans and grey spaghetti strap silk top fitted snugly on her assets. The only off fashion note according to her father’s aesthetic would be that bright platinum hair. 

It wasn’t an oversight, she wasn’t aiming to please anyone in this room and it’s better to be where she's more comfortable. She knew they enjoyed criticizing everything about her even if she behaved like a nun. Sena turned to the man in a dark grey suit and green tie. It wasn’t an exaggeration to say that Albert Luz is a handsome man. After all, it was where she got half of her genes. He is suave and robust at forty plus age when most men would be worrying about baldness and cellulitis. Apparently, money and looks are not enough to keep his wife happy. 

Then, her eyes inadvertently went to Meribeth. Her cousin and other relative in this room. 

Meribeth felt her eyes and stiffened as if she had been poked. 

This cousin of hers sure has the capital but for some reason, she chose to lower her head. She must say, the Luz beauty gene that barely scraped Maya is present on this girl. Too bad she chose to be a running dog. 

As dinner progressed, the conversation began centring around Maya’s new shows and endorsements. The family members are heaping her with praises for her current standing in the entertainment industry. Some time ago, she made connections with the Leung and Shi family thanks to the variety show’s merit. While everyone chatted, the only quiet ones among them were Meribeth, her father Philip and Sena. 

Yuni noticed them and smiled sarcastically, “Speaking of achievements, Meribeth made huge progress with her foreign language lately. It’s too bad you aim to switch to the fashion design department.”

Meribeth’s mother stopped praising Maya instantly and turned to her daughter with a dark face, “Fashion design?”

“Yes, aunty. Meribeth also has a course in gemology and she’s quite good at it. Don’t you think it’s a remarkable achievement as well?” Yuni said, adding fuel to the flame. 

“Gemology… fashion design, what the hell do you want to do? These two aren’t even related. What are you doing wasting your time with this nonsense?! What about your business management course, Meribeth? You're a finance major, are you going to quit on it?” The angry mother bombarded her with multiple criticizing shells. 

Meribeth gripped the cutleries on her hands and threw a reproachful glance at Yuni. She can’t remember any instance where she clashed with the little devil. Yuni looked at her innocently and smirked while listening to her mother’s hysterical ramblings.

“I think you should apologize.” 

A fork colliding with the plate suddenly stopped all noise. When they turned their heads, they saw Sena raising a champagne glass to her lips. “What about a change of study? It’s not as if you cannot afford this tuition fee to make such a fuss. In my opinion, wouldn’t it be better to let the one taking the course choose what she likes than continue pressing her on the degree she doesn’t want and blame her if she failed in the end?”

The dining hall was silent for a moment as Agatha Martin looked at her seething. “It’s not your business how I educate my child.” 

“But will you take responsibility once her future was ruined because of your insistence?” Sena challenged. 

The plump middle-aged woman full of gold jewellery paused. 

“Guess what? You won’t. You would probably chalk it up to your daughter’s incompetence. Once failure is there, it is no longer your fault. But have you considered what she really wanted her life to be? No. You only have your own and the benefits you can reap in your mind.” 

Agatha Martin slapped her spoon to the table, “You’re out of the line Sena! Saying so presumptuously as if you have seen the world when you are nothing but a brat yourself living off your mother’s money. What does it have to do with you? Don’t you hate my daughter?”

“I don’t hate her enough to ruin her life,” Sena said simply. The champagne glass rolled on her delicate fingers adorned with a gorgeous yellow diamond ring. “I may have spoken out of line considering you’re an elder. But I’m not wrong though.” 

“You!” 

 When Agatha was about to jump again, Albert Luz waved his hand. “Let Meribeth choose for herself.” 

“But brother— Meribeth’s college degree can greatly help you.” She insisted in a low voice. 

“This discussion is finished.”

Meribeth’s frayed nerves seemed to receive respite. She nearly burst into tears when she heard her uncle decide for her. 

“Darling…” Crisanta Luz wanted to appeal. 

“I have two daughters who can still help, I won’t be twisting my niece’s arm for this.” He said, looking pointedly at Sena and Meribeth. 

Maya held the rising anger inside her chest. Meribeth got to choose the career she wanted and has gotten it so easily. And Sena… the way her father was looking at her conveyed a lot of meaning. With Sena’s business acumen and the rise of her name in the business circle, her father is beginning to ease the strained relationship. 

While she, although she now has a career in the entertainment industry it doesn’t mean that it will hold value. Unless she makes a lot of connections that are beneficial for them. Yuni beside her patted her back for comfort but Maya sullenly shrugged it off. 

“T-Thank you,” Meribeth said in a low voice enough only for Sena to hear. 

You look better with manners, dear. Continue with this. Sena wanted to tell her. 

“You’ve been good with your hands ever since. Take care of it and in the future and if ever you come up with new designs, any designs be it great or not make sure to apply for patents.” 

Meribeth was hit with a barrage of reminders from the most unlikely person. She blinked her eyes and just nodded slowly. “I will.” 

“Good.” 

They resumed eating again as the waiters began serving the main course. The nostalgic scene made Sena compare the contrast between now and before. There are a few changes that are in her favour, one is Crisanta Luz did not enjoy playing the good wife and stepmother after she smashed her in the boutique. Second, the cousins who used to pick on her were as quiet as a chicken. Compared to a businesswoman with multiple achievements, these children who are barely out of college are nothing. Third, her father had to think twice before tricking her again. Lastly, Meribeth. Heaven knows how much she suffered from her bullying before but none of them was truly hurtful and physical, she also knows that the girl is quite a gullible following blindly what was instructed to her by the mother and daughter. Surprisingly when she arrived, she noticed her changes. She had less adoration for Maya in her eyes. Which was a good thing. 

She must have realized that she had been used and grew from the setback overnight, Sena thought. 

“Sena,” Albert Luz finally broke the silence, “you and your aunty Crisanta seemed to have a misunderstanding. Care to tell me your side of the story?”

Sena raised an eyebrow. Well, that’s rare. 

“Have you finally figured it out that we are not compatible?”

“Sena…” Albert turned to her, unwilling to give in to outburst and ruin the dinner. 

Sena did not back down. Soft, light green, clear, captivating in their intensity, her eyes locked on his the same as a sharp tip of a sword aimed at him. Albert looked away from her eyes to her body. 

His expression changed subtly. Unmistakably. 

The child has grown so much in a place where he had not noticed. Those pretty eyes always smiling and the pouty little mouth sweetly calling him papa. The brief memory shook his whole person. Where did everything begin to crumble?  

“I don’t like her,” Sena said as if casually pointing out an ugly pair of shoes. “But there is nothing I could do about it, is there? However, arguments can be avoided if I’m left to my own devices. Haven’t we talked about it countless times?” 

“You’re lying!” Crisanta Luz said tearfully, maximizing her inherent acting skills. “I have never—”

“What would I gain from pestering you? Child support?” Sena said sarcastically. “I know you are so reluctant to have my father pay it and have made plenty of moves to lessen it but be it in full or nothing at all I don’t need it.”

The woman choked. None of it was false. 

“Everyone in this room can agree that my inheritance alone is enough to feed and cloth me.” 

“Then why do you always try to ruin my Maya?”

Sena merely snorted. “You should really ask yourselves why.” 

A few months ago, they used her as a clown to step on and elevate Maya’s image of the holy goddess. With her growing haters, the eyes of the public were nailed to her every move causing a large amount of attention from the media. Bit by bit she washed up her image by minding her work. The people are not entirely blind they can see she was different from the rumours and so they followed her sincerely. The variety show also fueled her image to be seen. 

Now the current online trend about her stamped Maya’s new movie and other endorsements. Sena became the hottest non-showbiz personality, although it is estimated that her online fame is not going to last long for its lack of formal agency to take advantage of the wave, still, her face is now famous pushing her fans to twenty million. 

Albert looked at his wife sharply. He knows Sena is not someone to raise hell and drop the roof for no reason.

Crisanta Luz shivered under the cutting gaze. 

“This matter needs to be discussed by me and your aunt,” Albert said. Minutes passed before he prompted another topic. “How is your project in the east district going? Have you found reliable partners?” 

Good switch. Sena smiled ironically as nameless anger snaked through her.

“Aiguille and Horizon are both reliable enough for me and they won’t be giving me any problem at all.” She replied blandly. 

Of course, Mr Luz knows that. 

“I did not mean that,” Albert rephrased his words. “I was referring to the subcontractors that you put up for bidding. When is the bid deadline?” 

“Before the holidays start.”

“I see…” 

Sena barely made an extra expression when he mentioned this making it hard for Albert Luz to guess her mood. For the foundation works, design, construction of storm drainage and other structures, they were all left for their general contractors under Aiguille Conglomerate. As for the subcontractor, it will be selected among domestic firms that submitted and filled out the forms for bidding registration. If their documents did not qualify and are not in line with the project they will be dismissed, by now there are only ten companies left. 

Maya raised her head, “I thought you put up that land for auction a few months back. Now you’re constructing the largest entertainment hub in the country. Did you know that dad planned to bid for it?” There was a hint of taunt in her voice. “Unfortunately, you have already withdrawn.”

“I put it up, naturally as its owner I can take it back once I change my mind,” Sena replied, looking at her coldly. The chilly gaze of those usually seductive eyes made the hair stir at the back of Maya’s skull. 

Albert Luz had not much reaction either. Though he was still regretting losing that land, he also found another suitable place in the east.  

Maya returned her gaze to her food but gritted her teeth inwardly, “I was wondering if you received first-hand news about the government’s light rail project. Coincidentally, you also invested in Alpha Technologies who won the construction bid for it.” 

“Alpha Tech offered a reasonable price compared to others and their background is clean, they deserve to win it.”  

“Maya’s right, Sena,” Yuni said quite loudly, “Tell us, did you use any dirty method to get that information?”

The cousins on both sides held smug smiles on their faces. They have been enduring all night since Sena came. They had no chance to aim their attacks on her because it would only make them appear foolish. But Yuni has spoken on their behalf. 

“Only a person with an IQ of a toothpaste cap would think anyone can snoop on a project from the government.” Sena put the glass on the table and turned her frigid eyes to the brain-dead brat. “I suggest you read more books, dear. Don’t go around announcing what qualities you have. It’s simply heartbreaking.” 

“Can’t you speak without maligning someone?” Maya said indignantly. 

“Depends on the person I’m facing.” 

Meribeth, who wasn’t the direct recipient of the ridicule, winced. And Yuni, who is the target, fought the frightening impulse of running out of the room and burst into tears. 

You should have known who not to mess with inside this room yet you put your hands directly to its jaws. Meribeth said inwardly. 

“I won’t stay for desserts,” Sena said, wiping her mouth with the napkin. 

She had enough of this family dinner. After probing their intentions, Sena has no more time to spare. This is how her first week of December went but it would only do so little to spoil her Christmas. 

On the way out, she heard footsteps coming up from behind.

“You still need something?” She asked, turning back sharply at Maya. 

“Why did you come here today? Did you ask daddy to invite you so you can show off in front of everybody?”

“Why don’t you ask your father instead of running after me? He can answer your question.” Sena wore her trench coat back and tied it into a knot. Then she put her hands on the pockets. 

“I’m warning you, Sena, don’t makeup stories in front of dad!” 

“I don’t have the same sick hobby as you. When the day comes that he finds out all your tricks and your mother’s dirt, that's because he’s no longer as blind as he was before. So be careful.”  

Maya gripped the side of her dress and smiled sinisterly, “Did you agree to come because of the house?”

Sena shrugged. 

“I knew it! You were still after the Luz mansion aren’t you?” Maya giggled as if she discovered something very important. “Poor, poor Sena. I heard that the house was a gift to your mother when she married dad. It's where you grew up and had fond memories, isn’t it? Too bad you cannot take it back. Even your other house was taken over by Aunt Agatha. You must be itching to take them all back but you can’t.”

“Not really.” Sena said with a wave, “Like I said before, what I have thrown, I don’t pick back. On the other hand, it was you who didn't deserve to stay there should be ashamed. Even the termites and spiders have more rights than you.”

Her car was already on its way to the exit so she had to hurry. Turning on her heel, she dug out the keys from her bag and walked all the way to the lobby. The moment she stepped out, Maya caught her hand but she easily brushed it off. To her surprise, Maya’s body seemed like a piece of a wafer that easily toppled over. 

 It took her less than five seconds to realize what was going on and the surprise on her face turned into fury. 

Unfortunately, Maya underestimated the quality of the crowd in a highly exclusive hotel. None bothered to pay attention to her as if she never existed and just went on with their business casually. Maya had never felt so humiliated and ignored all her life. 

Sena looked down on her with contempt brewing in her eyes. “Pathetic.” 

Shutting out the remaining light and Maya’s embarrassing appearance, she slid into her car and drove towards the glittering concrete Eden that is the Capital City. Maya was left feeding on a mouthful of fumes. 

11