68. Head Turner
291 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

This year Maya became one of Lynx’s representatives alongside A-list celebrities who embody the current generation's preference in fashion. Bold and chic is what they call it. Maya was on fire as her images were posted around shopping malls and establishments. Fans swarmed like locusts, and to best take advantage of this growth Lynx even included the behind the scenes videos. 

The style she wore was eye-catching, fresh and trendy. A colourful combination of crop tops and denim the younger generation likes. For the past years, Lynx has grown rapidly attracting young fans. In the poster, Maya was sitting on a bicycle with a backdrop of colourful wall graffiti. 

[Maya is sooo gorgeous I love the clothes she’s wearing!]

[I’m so proud of her. This style suited her very much but I feel like I have seen it somewhere.]  

[I feel the same too but isn’t Maya lovely in this one? The haters always ridicule her legs but looking at them, it wasn’t as thin as they claimed.]

[This is a magic called filter everyone. You can install one and try it for yourself. Maya Luz is as thin as a swizzle stick from too much dieting and is promoting unhealthy habits to young people.]

[It’s obviously heavily enhanced. I don’t remember her having such fine legs. Maya Luz’s fans are as blind as bats when looking at their idol.]

Maya who was reading the comments section of Lynx’s official page felt irritable. Contrary to what manager Gina predicted, her ad with Lynx wasn’t as explosive nor as eye-catching. 

The clothes design was hard to control for someone with an unsuitable body type so she carefully watched her food intake. Her chest and legs had to be airbrushed to conform with the look or it would destroy the overall image, and although there were plenty of praises for it, there were still those who noticed the difference. 

Worse, half of the heat that was supposed to solely focus on her endorsing this clothing brand was unknowingly pressed down by the murder case. 

Why is she running at bad luck one after another?! 

On her way to the lobby of the agency, she ran into Cassandra Liu, the other brand endorser for the clothing line and the artist Gina managed along with her. Although they dislike each other they still have to maintain some superficial politeness on the surface. Maya took the initiative to smile at her senior before turning away and inadvertently harvesting a lot of praises from the onlookers.

The moment she was inside the car, Maya snorted. She heard Cassandra Liu complain to Ms Gina about her treatment when she was just a newcomer to the company. Just this month alone she joined two shows, attended an interview and endorsed Lynx’s clothing line. She was also given a new van, a professional styling team and two assistants by President Bo. Maya understood that many would be jealous but so what? She’s known as Miss Luz, the princess of the Luz family. 

Cassandra was wearing dark sunglasses so no one noticed the jealousy overflowing in her eyes. Some people didn’t have to work hard for many years to earn their millions. Though she’s living a rich and easy life now, all of these came with a price. When she stepped into the elevator, another artist rushed from behind. “Hold that door!”

Annoyed, Cassandra shot her a sharp gaze. The girl angrily rushed in, making it just in time before the door snapped shut. “I was guessing which celebrity has such a big temper, it turns out to be Aera.” Cassandra looked at her from top to bottom with a contemptuous smirk. “You went to auditions for Fleur's new cosmetic campaign, didn't you?”

Aera blinked her eyes and smiled mildly.

“Come to think of it, you failed to win Lynx’s sponsorship but you quickly recovered by hopping to the next lush branch. But Fleur is such a generic brand disguised as high-end.”

Aera told herself she wouldn’t argue but she couldn’t let that kind of tone slide by, “Lynx’s could hardly be even called exclusive either and no magazine was interested to feature it. It’s obvious that there was nothing remarkable about their pieces to make it through international design. The brand is barely hanging on, relying on their endorser’s fame.”  

“That’s only your opinion.”

“The quality of their materials is being questioned, high-end malls are reluctant to feature their line because they demand too much space. Lynx is facing a huge problem with keeping up—” 

“Nonsense. Those are just rumours from jealous competitors seeing how large Lynx has grown. Many young celebrities wear their clothing and which malls have you not seen their logo? Lynx is everywhere.”

“I agree,” Aera replied blandly. 

Cassandra frowned unhappily. She felt like she was being ridiculed for patronizing a brand sold in every crowded place. When the elevator doors opened, the two celebrities parted wearing cold expressions on their faces. 

 

CBD 4th Street. In an outdoor café.

Andy held her six-year buddy, a DSLR camera to a safe distance before taking a sip of her third cup of coffee for the day. From time to time when an interesting scene or subject caught her eye, she would quickly stop drinking and take a snap.   

Across from her is the talented writer of La Bella magazine Harley, a long-time friend. “Your assistant said you were outside. Of all unlikely places, I never thought I’d be able to rub shoulders with you here.”

“You make it sound as if I'm a hermit.”

“Not quite, darling. But you have a criminal record of not showing up when invited and not being there when you’re supposed to.” Harley chuckled, resting his overly feminine face on top of his hand. “I’m glad you answered the invitation. I thought we wouldn’t be able to catch up. So, what brought the great Andy out here? Something interesting caught your picky eyes yet?” 

Andy is a well-known fashion, fine art photographer and director. Three years ago she became the youngest honoree of Legacy Asia’s top 10 talent under 30 years old. Well known for her keen eye for classic and romantic imagery. Her works are highly appreciated and admired in the industry. Andy is very meticulous about her work and a little headstrong, many established companies as well influential celebrities have tried coaxing her to work for them but she always stood by her principles. If the subject does not interest her, she will not work no matter how high the fee was and vice versa, even if the subject is a street rat, as long as it caught her eye, she can make them shine. 

This time, she came out of her own volition after a long slump to give Harley a favour. 

Looking across the street, Andy said. “I'm hoping I would be able to find one here.”

“Well, you can tell me about it. I know almost everyone who frequents this place, maybe I can help you with the person.” Harley said, grinning from ear to ear. 

Heaven knows how difficult it is to find this person, it was even more impossible to drag her out to work once you found her. Today is such a great day, Harley was originally here to find a new perspective since the magazine’s short film subject is giving him a huge headache lately. As one of the world’s most sophisticated fashion magazines and has the largest readership, the monthly issues of La Bella are always selling like hotcakes. Naturally, the featured personalities inside it from celebrities, politicians and business icons are highly anticipated as well.

But this time, the executives attach great importance to content. They wanted a subject that is not only popular but has something unique that can touch the reader’s soft spot. With Andy here, perhaps, he might be able to find his subject as well.  

“4th Street is just a couple of blocks away from the CBD, guess who my subject is?”

“Ugh, that better not be an alien.” 

Andy caressed her camera, “A hybrid.” 

Harley raised an eyebrow. Many of the patrons here were young professionals, wealthy children and celebrities armed with their latest gadgets and decked with designer clothes all over. So far, Harley doesn’t find anyone interesting yet. He knew what Andy wanted was someone even more special. 

By coincidence, he saw a poster on the mall and was reminded of Bambi. The person is also his friend who was hired to shoot Maya Luz, one of the hottest newcomers on TV and the daughter of a businessman. He thought that Andy was staring at the poster.

“I see, you weren’t just picking someone common. You can never go wrong when casting Maya, I heard she’s very approachable and likeable. No airs like most of the celebrities we know.” 

Andy frowned, “Maya?”

Harley smiled, he pointed to the girl in Lynx’s poster and stirred his coffee, “The daughter of the businessman Albert Luz. She was being groomed to help her father run their company and also entered showbiz just last year.”

Andy barely looked impressed. The girl in the photo has standard star features, a pretty baby face, white skin, pink lips and doe eyes. It’s just that she somehow feels something is lacking in her gaze.   

“Aside from being the child from a wealthy family, her records at school were also outstanding and she’s gaining popularity in the entertainment industry. How about it? Quite a versatile right? Another important thing to note is that this girl has an interesting backstory.” 

Wait, didn’t Andy say she came here to find her subject? Maya Luz fitted the description but this is Andy after all. Several offers rushed to Maya like landslides right after she joined a reality show. Although he feels that most of it were just exaggerated hype, he had to admit that this rarely happens to one person and it is still undeniable that the move pushed her to be popular. 

“You think this Maya is interesting?” Andy asked, her eyelashes flickered a little.

A kind of imperceptible habit she has when that highly artistic brain is running full time.

“Well, it’s just a little bit of a family drama of the rich.” Harley replied and went into the details enthusiastically. “It was about being blamed for being a child born out of wedlock. Before Maya became the enviable Miss Luz, there was someone else who occupied that place. Albert Luz had a first wife and daughter, but six years of marriage later, they divorced and entered Maya and her mother.”

“So it’s about the father prioritizing his mistress and daughter by kicking out the original family?” 

Harley was choked but he quickly rearranged his expression, “Actually, Maya and her mother did not admit or deny that story. However, some close acquaintances insinuated that it was the first wife who came in between and snatched Albert Luz away. Because of this statement, people had doubted Albert Luz’s first wife.”

The frown on Andy’s face deepened. She had met different kinds of people with countless stories in her profession, things like this on her chosen subjects were not uncommon. Maya Luz is rich, promising and interesting. 

But not special enough. What Andy likes more is grit. More tension. 

Harley noticed her expression did not fluctuate after hearing the story and concluded that he was wrong to assume Andy was after Maya Luz. He also felt that Maya is lacking. Then, a spark of inspiration suddenly came. Another face came to mind.

Why not?!

“Damn, I almost forgot. How could I…” He pounded the table excitedly. 

The exclamation made Andy turn to him. “What’s up?”

“Speaking of the Luz, you cannot just ignore this one person. Haven’t I told you that before Maya came to the house there was a daughter there?”

Andy cocked an eyebrow. 

“Well, she’s the firstborn child of Albert Luz and the former socialite, Sena Erde. Coincidentally, those two joined the same reality show, it’s just that Sena rarely showed up after that.” 

Speaking of Sena, he has a magazine where she modelled for the watch he wanted to give to his sister. He had this suspicion that it had something to do with why some idiot linked her name to La Bella along with an actress. 

“Hmm, intriguing.” Andy took out a notepad and appeared to be idly making scribbles. “Do go on.” 

“While Maya’s name is gaining popularity in the entertainment industry, the other daughter is making her own name in the business circle and has come out with achievements. She was left with a substantial inheritance but she squandered it away by buying a large tract of land in the east district making her a laughing stock of the whole city. Just when both old and young were laughing at her, the government suddenly issued a transit project to be developed. The land price soared in just a month and it’s now worth ten times more than what she purchased before. Business giants are beginning to fight each other for a piece of land in the east! Not only that, Sena Erde seems to have been blessed with unlimited luck, the little money she had was tossed to speculate on stocks. When the money multiplied she went ahead and invested in two companies that are on the verge of bankruptcy. Guess what?”

“Based on how enthusiastic you are about her, I guess she must have gotten a huge turnover.”

Harley clapped. “Exactly.”

He wanted to enlighten his friend some more but the growing whispers on the nearby tables caught their attention. Andy happened to follow where everyone was looking. 

Her eyes went across the street, “Now, that’s a head-turner.” 

A slender girl wearing a black McQueen high-necked heavy felt jacket tied with leather corset-style belts, rocking a high ponytail platinum hair walked out of a restaurant. Under the heavy clothes is a featherlight dress with wide ruffles on the skirt. She moved lithely like a cat on a prowl and she looked as if she had stepped right off a vintage military portrait!

“Harley, do you know who she is?” She tugged at her companion excitedly. “Do you have her information?”

Suddenly, everything she heard from Harley about the backstory of this and that doesn’t matter any longer. Even that girl he almost named the Hand of Midas faded at the back corner of her head. Andy’s eyes are now shining brightly, locking on the potential subject unblinkingly! 

“I found my muse!” She laughed. 

These days the thing called beauty has become common thanks to modern technology. But true beauty coupled with innate finesse and grace has become an even rarer thing. Across the street is a glittering shining gem. The girl could sit atop a horse and look absolutely handsome on it. 

Harley sighed helplessly, “She’s Albert Luz’s firstborn I just mentioned about.” 

Andy’s eyes widened in disbelief. The Hand of— no, Sena Erde. 

“You like her, but the question is, will she like you?” Harley teased. 

Andy’s prestige. The lure of fame. 

A pity Sena was rather blasé about it. After her brief appearance in the reality show, half of the audience was not only drawn to the novelty of the program but also the individual temperament of the cast. She had only lasted for at least three episodes and left her mark like a firework. She wowed people with her performance. When the show was over, she resumed her quiet life. 

Harley silently admired this person. What about the rumour that Paula Erde raised her daughter to be rude and spoiled? The bad impression slowly faded, and her bold ventures in business dropped several jaws to the ground. Who would dare label her as useless again?  

6