22.1 He Came To Help
262 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Lyndon frowned when he saw the stranger come up from behind and held her shoulders naturally. Zhang Min’s mouth hung and she couldn’t close it for a while. This man is too handsome! 

“Do you know each other?” Lyndon was the first to ask. His expression rapidly fell. 

Nicholas' palm felt like hot coal against her cool skin and it wasn’t unpleasant in the least. It reminds her of… Sena felt the warmth spread on her shoulder upwards her neck until it pooled on her cheeks. 

“Do we know each other?” Nicholas repeated the words in a low chuckle as he sized up the man sitting on the other side. “This, you have to ask her, right sweetie?”

Sweetie— what? Sena looked at him incredulously; it was a little funny. He tilted his head towards her, his eyes alight with humour. 

Nicholas shrugged, “Play along, that guy over there is bad news.”

“Boy, don’t I know that of all people.” She muttered in between clenched teeth. 

Despite her grumpy look, Nicholas thickened his face and smiled sweetly. “I can help you bolt out of here without looking too embarrassed. Do you trust me?”

Nicholas’ confident tone cut through her silent dilemma. Right now what she needs is to stay away from Lyndon. He was offering a very nice solution. Hesitantly, she nodded. 

“Relax, I won’t hurt you.” He said again. “Smile a little. Make it more natural— there.”  

Sena’s face was twitching. She was torn between awkward gratitude and slapping his hand until it swelled. How on earth did this guy manage to come here now? However, she did not get to protest because he was already leaning closer to pass Tsukiya’s urgent call for help.

“You’re badly needed.” 

“How bad exactly?”

“He’s starting to get stomach cramps just thinking he needs to speak with a lot of people.”

Sena made a helpless face, “Ugh, poor guy. Wait, I’m up.”

She didn’t even get to ask how he knew of Tsukiya, infected by his devil may care attitude. She ignored the fact that she’s letting him tow her away despite her fleeing from him this afternoon. She also ignored the fact that she’s ignoring Lyndon for the second time tonight. 

Ah, to hell with it. 

“Is that guy bothering you?”

There goes the proverbial question when saving a damsel out of distress. Sena nearly laughed out loud but she considered where they were. “A bit of an unpleasant encounter, that’s all.” 

“Oh,” he said. 

Nicholas looked down into her eyes and saw that she was scared of Lyndon. As for him, she was wary but not terrified. She wasn’t screaming nor was she flinching but he knew she was still a long way from trusting him. 

“Lyndon Miles has a reputation of a gentleman and he’s notorious for being smooth.”

“Yep, smooth like a bed of nails.” He heard her mutter.

He shook his head laughingly. “The night is long, are you sure you can always avoid him?”

“The house is big, I have my ways, if that doesn't work I’ll probably just beat him straight up.”

Nicholas stopped short, turned to her with a wide grin before declaring bravely, “Tell me when you will do it, I’ll help put a sack over his head so he doesn’t recognize you.”

Sena lost it and ended up erupting into startled laughter.

“Why did you help me?”

He paused, seemingly pondering over one of life’s greatest mysteries. “Good question, I don’t know either.” 

“Thank you, anyway.” She looked up with a small smile. 

Lyndon's presence makes her feel very uncomfortable, a reaction she couldn’t quite understand. But she always believes in her intuition and if tells her of danger, she better listen to it before it’s too late. 

“Let’s hurry up before Tsukiya goes insane.” Nicholas urged.

Imagining her client’s disgruntled appearance made her laugh again. Suddenly they were bantering like this, tossing the previous awkward separation somewhere far away. 

To some, the angle seemed to convey a different meaning. The man was tall and solid while the woman was soft and graceful completing a very harmonious picture. Elia who just got back from taking cakes from the buffet saw her boss being intimately pulled by a tall guy she had never seen towards the staircase. 

Her tingly gossip-sense told her it must be someone very close to her or else, why would she let him come within a hairline away and laugh so openly?

Wait, that’s not right. She should confirm who’s the hunk who abducted their little boss so easily! 

“B-Boss?”

Sena turned her head to her and mouthed she’s going up to keep Elia from worrying. But her intention had the opposite effect on her neurotic agent.

OMG, she’s willing? 

Her hands tapped on her phone, urgently pestering the only person she knew available at this hour.

“Big news, the boss has been dragged away by a tall and handsome dude.” 

Rui on the other line who just finished putting on face cream and cucumber to his face tap back, “Elia, you’re probably drunk again.”

“I’m serious! Someone really did take her.”

Rui bounced from the sofa sucking a loud breath. “Willing or unwilling? You have to make it clear.”

“Not sure, but I think she’s okay. He was holding her hand!!!”

“How does the Boss take it?”

Elia paused, “She seems okay…”

“Did you follow them?”

Elia typed in quickly. “No dummy, they went upstairs.”

“Elia, you’re dead. Boss Leo and Linda will skin you alive if something happens to Boss Sena!” 

While Elia did a lot of emotional parkour, her boss already reached the second floor and is now looking at the vegetative Tsukiya on the couch.

“You look like you died.” Nicholas said, kicking him on the shin with controlled strength. 

Tsukiya resurrected quickly after feeling pain. “Thank goodness you brought her here. I don’t want to suffer anymore.”

“I came to your open house party not to babysit.”

“Father only mentioned it once to you, I didn’t know you would take it seriously and really come.”

“If I didn’t come, can I be assured you’re not going to whine with uncle?” 

Sena’s head whipped from side to side listening to their talk until she got dizzy. “You knew each other?” 

Tsukiya nodded, then excused himself to get something from his room. 

“I wish I didn't,” Nicholas said tiredly seeking the seat below Sena.

Under the dark blue blazer, the guy still wore the clothes he had this afternoon. Black shirt faded jeans and a pair of Italian loafers. He damn well looked as casual as any visitor could get. He was right next to her exuding a nice fresh scent and body heat, unfortunately, the creases on this forehead were deep indicating his fatigue.

Sena looked at her watch. 

“In a hurry to leave?”

She was startled when he spoke. There was a hint of heavy laziness in his tone, pleasant to listen to. 

“No, I’m thinking when will be the appropriate time to start the demonstration.” 

“Sit down, you’ll get sore from standing if you’re going to wait for the brat to come out.” 

“Oh.” she circled the coffee table and took the one on his left. 

Nicholas pried one eye open to look at her. “Lyndon Miles is the mayor’s nephew. Did you know?”

Her eyes widened, that was unexpected. She hadn’t heard of him in her last life until the end so it’s only natural she had no more information about the person. Besides, the news only involved the mayor, his secretary and that despotic son of his. 

“You,” he trailed. “How did you know about Michael’s trouble?”

“What trouble?” Sena blinked innocently.

Nicholas gave her a prime veteran smirk, “Spill it. You won’t be coming knocking on his doorstep offering free information if you only know about his hacking—” he corrected quickly. “Specialty.” 

Not to mention the speciality is something only he and a few clients knew.

“What about you? What’s your relationship with him?” She hedged and was tempted to ask, can I trust you with what I’m about to say? 

“Closer than you think.”

Sena whipped her head towards him aghast, only when she looked him in the eye that she found out he was only teasing.  

“No, I’m not his boyfriend if that’s what you’re asking,” Nicholas said mischievously. “But close enough to receive a bullet on his behalf.”

Is he for real? Sena shot him a dubious look, however, his expression was solemn this time. 

“Wanna see the scar?” He offered unabashed. 

Come to think of it, she seems to recall something from his upper right shoulder when she… Sena cut the memory short and immediately became contrite. She played with the strap of her watch to stop the furious blush on her face, an action that did not escape his notice. 

Nicholas smiled imperceptibly. “You’re blushing.” 

“Stop messing around,” she said helplessly in a tiny voice. 

He playfully raised both hands in the air. “Alright.”

Sena composed herself almost immediately. 

“About Michael, I only accidentally heard someone mention it when I was in a restaurant. The person said there was an expert in computers in the farmer’s market area that helped him peep on his boss’ bank transfers.”

The client was real, the restaurant conversation, on the other hand, was fabricated by her. Otherwise, how is she going to explain that she came back from her tragic future while carrying all this information with her?    

Nicholas’ eyes flickered. “Now I get it but how were you confident it was going to help in the process?”

“Michael Saldini, the young heir of Horizon Group. I’m aware of the infighting with regards to inheritance.”

“Well, it’s an open secret but being aware doesn’t mean you are privy to the details.” Nicholas said simply.

She agreed. “As the one who holds the majority of the shares, his father’s relatives are all itching to hold him by the neck. Don’t ask me how I know.” 

Sena reached for a glass of water placed on the table. 

“His friends with the mayor secretary correct? His mother once sponsored him to finish college but that’s beside the point. Everyone is aware that the mayor and his family are all ‘nice’ people. Some time ago, an old man was nudged by a car while crossing the pedestrian and broke his hip bone but the suspect never came up. The complaints evaporated due to lack of evidence until the old man passed away.”

Despicable but he doesn’t see the connection. 

Nicholas raised an eyebrow. “Traffic cameras?”

“Who has the authority to access the monitoring room aside from the mayor himself and its staff?” 

This is where she smiled sardonically, he then understood. No wonder she said that ‘there was never a right person’.

“Fuck.” he cursed under his breath. “That sneaky rat.”

“Did I mention that I also happened to see Michael’s aunt talking to the mayor’s hard-working secretary when I was doing some transactions?” She satirically emphasized the word ‘hardworking’ before adding, “It made me wonder then.”

“Where?”

“Apple Grove Village. I can show you my current house list if you’re not convinced.” As Michael’s close friend, she felt inclined to tell him this. Especially when she can see him being concerned for the other’s well-being. 

Nicholas’ jaw tightened. “No need, I believe you.” 

That’s the village where Mike’s paternal family lives. If that bastard secretary really came in there and Sena caught him talking to the aunt, it only means Michael had been played by them all this time. 

She did not blatantly say that Mike’s old friend has sold him out to his relatives, nor did she point out how much of a despicable person he is. Instead, she laid out facts first giving no room for him to doubt.  

Sena continued, “If I told Michael Saldini directly, would he believe me, a stranger? His late mother was especially fond of that bright scholar she picked. He would never suspect he was colluding with his relatives. I think it’s better to let him see for himself what kind of friend he’s got.” 

The person next to her drag in a breath while mincing the information inside his head. As he does so, his gaze would skim over her face from time to time. There was still one question he needed her to answer, but he guessed she would not be willing to share it. 

Like how was she so adamant it was the secretary who did the cover-up for the crime. Didn’t she even consider he might also be a victim and was coerced? She resolutely believes it was his doing. Painting him as a coldblooded person. An opposite to his affable manner. 

Her story had loopholes; you can dismiss it as a made-up one but if you look at it from another angle, it was undoubtedly reliable. How else would she be able to know about Mike’s knack for computers if she hadn’t accidentally heard it? Why was she able to find his hiding place without help? He himself took weeks to find him. 

It was as if she knew and saw everything herself. 

He was right, Sena did not only see but knew the character of that person himself.

She was a mere nobody when everything fell, alone she came to the capitol to ask for a public lawyer for help. She did not expect she would run across the secretary and mayor’s son coming out of the monitoring room located in the far corner of the second-floor hallways. 

“Next time, do not pick up women on the streets. Who knows what kind of disease they’re carrying.” the secretary warned in an icy tone. 

In which the mayor’s son replied annoyed, “Unlike you, I’m not impotent.” 

“What I’m saying is it’s not safe. Be more aware of your surroundings next time to make it easier to clean up.”

“Are you complaining? The whore came to me first, she just started making a fuss when I called my friends. How would I know she would suddenly keel over while we're having fun?”

“Even so, think of your father’s position for once. People will start being suspicious if we keep tampering with these things.”

“Tch, hypocrite. You suggested this method to dad since day one. Didn’t you receive a huge sum from that old bat when she asked you to take care of that video of her husband’s mistress accident? Were you cautious then?” He mocked. 

“That was a business favor.” 

The mayor’s son snickered. “The ugly hag must have paid a really fat check, eh? She hated the mistress to the bone she had to run over her a few times but I heard there are plenty more mistresses out there. I wonder how many more accidents you will cover for her, but I don’t worry, I know you work cleanly.”  

These psychopaths… 

Sena was too scared she practically plastered herself on the wall to hide away from them. Her whole body trembled like a leaf. She had to cover her own mouth in fear of letting out a little sound. Then piece by piece the puzzle fitted in her head. 

The mayor’s son. A small newspaper published an article about an escort’s body found in an abandoned mountain resort. It was said that she died of cardiac arrest but the bruises and rope marks all over her body told another story. 

As for that mistress who was killed, she very well knew who it was. 

If she got caught listening, no doubt her end would have been no different from those women. 

Sena’s brief contemplation came to an end. She is aware of Nicholas’ unspoken question, but she intended only to divulge as far as that. After all, she has no idea how far the dirty secrets of this city run and she can only rely on the information she knows first-hand. 

If she dared speculate some more and blindly looked for trouble, it would eventually snowball and may cause the opposite effect of what she intended. Plus, it will surely disturb her peaceful life right now. 

A huge issue is about to explode and that would be enough to convince them both. She knew Michael Saldini is no ordinary computer shop owner, he could handle whatever’s coming and if ever there are some complications… 

She eyed Nicholas surreptitiously and concluded that he won’t let his friend get in trouble. Unlike last life, at this moment Michael Saldini has someone on his side.

 

4