83. Chartreuse Gala
217 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Eve of the ball… 

“Good evening, Miss Sena,” The doorman Patrick greeted when Sena walked past the lobby of the Paragon a few minutes before seven. The festive atmosphere is yet to dissipate with the remaining decorations from the last Christmas and New Year hung about the high ceilings. Couples and families were arriving and departing in a slow trickle, heading out to celebrate or merely to relax. “Attending an event?”

She smiled then nodded, “Hello Patrick,” 

“It looks like it’s going to be a long night again.” 

“Don’t mention it. Just thinking about it gives me severe cramps in the legs.” 

Patrick laughed at her exaggerated expression. “In that case, you need a sturdy escort, Miss.” 

“Fortunately, I managed to coerce one.” 

Patrick smiled widely, “Don’t tell me it’s Chang’an.”

“Not a chance. He’s clumsier than me.” 

“Might that be Ramsy then?”

Sena was amazed how familiar he is with her circle of friends. Though the doorman only met them once or twice, he is a confessed avid fan of hers and dedicatedly follows her page. Naturally, he also knows her closest acquaintances. 

“Absolutely not that playboy.”

“What is he like?”

“He’s extremely reliable for one, he’s got light brown eyes and dark hair.” She put a hand up to her mouth to keep a chuckle out. “He’s very masculine as well.” 

Patrick noticed the amusement on her face and looked at her warily. “He’s not imaginary, is he?”

“He’s very much alive. No worries.” 

Her giggle turned into a hearty laughter. She knew Patrick would be more than surprised once he realized she was talking about Nicholas. She heard him once express his admiration to her boyfriend, saying that he doesn’t find him merely handsome but an absolute eye candy. Patrick is normally unimpressed with exceptionally handsome men because in his experience dealing with people, they are either vain, overbearing and shallow,— or subtly effeminate. 

“My God!” Patrick clicked his fingers, “You like him. Now I'm curious!”  

In his opinion, the only man who can make Miss Sena fold should be someone equally exceptional. 

“You’ll find out later.” Sena said mysteriously, “How’s the baby girl in your home?”

“She’s healthy alright, but the little thing is beginning to wreak havoc.” Patrick said in a helpless doting voice. “Last night she nearly crawled out of the crib giving me and my wife a scare.” 

Thinking of the future super chef in her diapers made her smile. “She's a lively one, isn't she? Watch out in the future.” 

Minutes passed, an extended luxury sedan arrived, cutting their conversation short. April and Apple helped Sena as she stepped into her high heels walking straight towards the car leaving behind several onlookers craning their necks in her direction. The driver walked out to open the door for them. Half an hour of smooth driving, they stopped at the lobby of Waller Building, the location chosen for this year’s  red carpet soirée. 

 

Maya’s palms were clammy while they were on their way to the Lion’s Club where the benefit ball is going to take place. 

“Nervous?” Timothée asked when he found his companion unusually quiet. 

Maya gave a weak smile. “I’m a little worried how things will turn out later. People might begin to speculate about us.” 

She lowered her head to hide the blush staining her cheeks. 

“There was nothing to think too much about.” Timothée said gently before adding, “You are a friend.” 

Friend? 

Maya’s delighted expression almost cracked. She did not expect Timothée to shrug off her subtle hint. As someone who is confident of charms, this is the second time she doubted herself. She had been accustomed to men being easily softened when she took on a helpless image. 

She made sure he could feel her dependence on him as a girl yet at the same time made himself unsure of what she truly felt by not showing too much intimacy. Like a fish being tempted by the bait on the hook. 

Maya knew for a long time that being aggressive will only earn scorn so she learned to be patient when wanting to get the things she desired. Be it material or emotional.  

How come the result was contrary to what she initially calculated? She glanced at Timothée furtively and fell into a thought. As expected of men born from old families, they are much harder to take down than those wet behind the ears boys. 

She bit her lip secretly. Ever since she ended the vague relationship with Dresden, she felt things had never been the same. It was as if she lost something extremely valuable.

“Are you ready?” Timothée asked, smoothing his coat. 

The car carrying them both stopped several meters to the red carpet to give them time for a last minute check of their clothes. Many eyes are watching and a little mistake cannot be tolerated. Timothée guided her through the wide path where most of the attendees stood. 

In front of them, Cassandra Liu held hands with the current President of Range Bank. The fifty five year-old widow wore a reserved smile on his face and let Cassandra’s energy drag him along as they posed to get their photos taken. This year's theme is "Once Upon A Time" combining fantasy and childhood dreams. Cassandra wore a yellow bell-sleeved dress with a plunging neckline and cinched waist. The flouncy skirt slashed a deep slit creating a peek-a-boo on her thighs. 

Maya snorted inwardly. So what if she’s an A-list celebrity? She had to endure rubbing bodies with a smelly old man all night in order to get here. Ignoring them now, she raised her chin proudly and held on to Timothée as though holding on to her trophé. 

Cassandra who saw her approaching could only grit her teeth and hurry ahead to avoid collision. 

The red carpet spanning several meters long is decorated with expensive flowers on both sides. To assist the incoming guest smoothly to the top floor, there is a private elevator access from the second floor lobby. From the red carpet outside towards the lobby, every guest has to walk a long way under fascinating frescoes above elaborately carved marble pillars. The path then ends to a sweeping staircase curved gracefully towards the second floor rotunda and the elevator. Serving as prime centerpiece, a grand chandelier one story in height, was suspended from the second floor ceiling with its many rainfall-like crystals.

Cameramen are positioned at the most focal areas and photographers have their weapons at the ready aiming for the VIPs coming at a steady stream. Tonight, every movement will be on live feed. 

Currently on the carpet is the scion of Rosamaria family along with his companion clad in a dreamy bespoke ruffled light pink organza and lace gown with fitted bodice embellished with flower-patterned crystals. 

The audience in the live broadcast channel are in a frenzy. 

[Come, come baby Maya is grabbing everyone’s attention!]

[My God, this Kalliste rose dream dress is to die for.]

[Aside from Sena as the face of Kalliste, there are only Viktoria and Maya who have worn them in public so far.]

[Was the dress especially tailored for Maya? I’m so envious.]

[She looks so sweet I want to take her home.]

“Miss, look over here!”

“Miss, a smile please.”

Various voices from photographers rose as soon as they arrived. Maya waved her hand modestly and obliged them with a few poses. The clothes were especially selected for her by Timothée. 

She smiled at him and whispered thank you.

As his companion, Timothée let her have a moment to shine. He told her earlier that a very important guest is attending the ball and she must show her best. Maya understood that he is helping pave the way for her to rise.

Some time later, over the clamor of people and the sound of shutters, the person arrived, switching the attention of photographers to the entrance. 

The black Rolls Royce came to a smooth stop followed by the opening of its seamless doors. Half of the person was covered by the chauffeur who quickly came to assist. 

“Sena arrives.”

“Miss Erde is here.”

“She came!”

Maya’s back stiffened.  

Instead of hurrying out, Sena carefully timed her steps by extending a leg out to the carpet. Her side profile facing the crowd gave them a sneak peek of her looks. 

The temperature seemed to drop as soon as those long beautiful limbs started moving. 

“My gosh, my eyes are about to jump out. Who is this beauty?!”

“That’s undeniably one of the best dresses for tonight!” A photographer sighed and raised his camera. 

[While everyone was scrambling to dress themselves like royalty, here’s one who took on a different approach.]

[I’m trembling but at the same time I want to bow down. Those legs are longer than my life.]

[This dress, I can only say one word: PERFECTION. *chef kiss*]

The silvery white figure walked on the red carpet in slow steps while dragging a short train of black silk organza. 

Sena's dress was decided several months ago and was especially drawn by the designer named Laplace. Taking inspiration from medieval fantasy the ensemble combines soft fabrics and gradient hues of white and black on the draping skirt. The bodice is made of sheer fabric appliqued by thin silver scales clinging to her classic hourglass figure like an armor. 

And thus, the white knight image was born. 

[Ahh, my goddess, you can step on me. I won’t complain!]

[A commenter is detected for being a masochist.]

[Hahaha.]

The words from the live broadcast screen jumped one after another. They could even hear the comments from people nearby.

[Is this really Sena Erde? I did not expect that she would be able to control a fantasy knight’s costume!]

[She is such a fox in real life.]

Everyone in this industry had more or less met all kinds of beauty. The men who had most of their lifetime devoted to fornication admitted that they had seen so few women as beautifully built as Sena Erde. Never had they seen someone who carried herself with complete sensual grace. A potent mix of innocent and sexy.

Confidence was draped on her like perfume. They half expected the draping floor length silk to ignite over her elegantly arched feet. 

“Look at that silhouette…” 

Belatedly, they realize that Sena is nearly six feet tall with the help of five inch stilettos. Her platinum hair was tied up tightly under an icicle-like silver headgear giving everyone an ample view of her face without distraction. Any person would be easily frightened when faced with the enthusiasm of the reporters, but the years of dealing with all kinds of people trained her nerves. 

Sena and her faint smile enchanted everyone. 

The people holding the cameras began taking shots as she moved step by step forward. She agreed with several posing requests generously and handled the stunning piece of clothes gracefully. After that she went on her way to the carpet resuming the distant demeanor of a gallant and aloof knight once again. 

Looking at Sena’s dress, Maya was sure it was not from Kalliste or any first line brands she was familiar with. After confirming this, her tensed heart settled. But when Sena turned to their direction, her body felt cold.   

Timothée’s eyes lit up when he saw her, the reaction alarmed Maya.  

“S-Sena came,” she said nervously while gripping her hands.

“She has to, it’s an important event after all.” 

Maya became even more flustered. Based on his tone, he expected her to come. What does Timothée mean? The more she thought about it, the more afraid she was, especially when Sena got closer and closer she could feel Timothée’s mood brightening. 

The white knight’s dress was undeniably feminine and attractive at the same time, the combination of white, silver and black was such a huge contrast to the myriad of bright colors worn by celebrities that made her stand out.   

The delicate embellishments, the softly woven fabric with embroidered silver threads and the gradient hues. According to Maya’s estimate, a dress like this will take months to make. The audience thought so too.

This is definitely custom made!  

Maya’s fans were doing everything they could to mock the dress. So what if it’s gorgeous? It’s made by some no-name designer anyway. 

Isn’t she supposed to be the face of Kalliste? Why is she not wearing their dress? Is there some conflict? Will she finally be kicked out?

They had a feast for a short time until something unexpected occurred at the venue. 

Sena could be seen walking unhurriedly towards the center. Timothée nodded and smiled at her but before she could come near for a greeting, Maya tugged at Timothée’s hand pulling him away! 

Everyone: … 

In front of so many reporters and lenses, her sinking expression was caught and her anger was obvious when leaving the red carpet. 

Mrs Rosamaria frowned as she watched the live broadcast of the gala along with the other ladies and Crisanta Luz. Earlier, Crisanta asked Manager Gina for the press release photos of Maya and Timothée before coming to the ball. They proudly announced the Kalliste rose dream dress Maya wore along with her sweet interactions with Timothée. Maya’s fans loved this and inadvertently sparked another hot topic. 

Coincidentally, the posts about Sena’s absence were still fermenting when the subject of the discussion suddenly arrived. While all kinds of speculations fly, the next thing they knew, Maya was forcefully dragging away the heir of the Rosamaria family just because he smiled at Sena Erde. 

Everyone was taken aback by the following developments. You’d be blind not to see something’s wrong: Sena was smiling gently while Maya left angrily. 

Crisanta felt a headache coming. To alleviate the situation, she hastily sent a message to someone. 

Back at the red carpet. 

A reporter came out of nowhere and fired a rude question. 

“Ms Erde, how does it feel to attend one of the most prestigious charity events of the Capital City and wear such luxurious clothing?”

Sena looked him in the eyes and slowly said, “You are aware that this is my second time attending, yes?”

The man was momentarily stunned.

“R-Right,” 

Sena did not mind and replied, “The gala last year was an absolutely fun experience. In fact there are other bigger things aside from wearing nice clothes. Once we are inside, we get to help those who should be helped on.” 

[The girl’s got a point. We almost forgot that aside from walking on this glamorous red carpet, there is a charity event going on inside.]

[Yes, this is the whole point of Chartreuse Gala. To raise funds tonight and Sena just reminded him that.]

The reporter chuckled, “Of course charity is of utmost priority. On a side note, rumor has it that you are wearing a custom made dress.”

“I am.” She replied honestly and before he could taunt her about splurging for her clothes instead of donating the money for it, Sena added. “Most clothes worn in this event are actually. Not just mine.”  

[Yes! And FYI the best of the clothes worn tonight will be auctioned for the charity.]

[This reporter seemed to have left his brain at home.]

The reporter gritted his teeth secretly, “Everyone was expecting you would wear Kalliste—” 

“I don’t think it’s the dress we should be focused on but rather on how we came here and why.” Sena cut in sharply then turned her back after saying so. 

Irritably, the reporter who pestered her backed off when the security came. However, as Sena walked a few steps, a lady reporter sprang next waving her mic. 

“Sena, you look absolutely stunning. But where is your escort?”

“Thank you.” Sena playfully chuckled. “He has his own invitation card. It would be unfair to let him latch on to me.”

The crowd laughed.  

[So it means she has her own invitation card!]

[She was  personally invited by the board of directors?!]

When they stalked her SNS profile, they found her earlier reply to trolls who accused her of clinging to a sugar daddy. In the photo the black card with light green ribbon is laid next to a sleeping munchkin cat inside a wicker basket. 

[I don’t know about you but I’m itching to know who her escort for tonight.] 

“As a woman, what sort of strict beauty regimen did you follow prior to coming to the gala? If there is one in particular, would you like to share it with us?” 

Slowly, Sena turned to the lady reporter, “I’m curious. Would you ask the same question to a man about this?”

“N-No.” She answered. 

“Ask more suitable questions next time—” Sena smiled. “—such as how much I spent on donations.”

[Whoa, the queen slayed.]

[Damn, she got schooled hahaha!]

[I mostly chase idols but I suddenly want to become her fan! I want this level of confidence emanating in me when scolding someone.]

The rest of the reporters looked at their companion weirdly. Indeed she could inquire about anything regarding tonight’s events so why is she wasting her time with nonsense? Even the audience noticed that these reporters seem to target Sena for a reason. 

The woman reporter, just like the one earlier, discovered that they could not provoke her into losing her temper with these petty questions so she gave up halfway. She was supposed to expose Sena tonight but the damn brat was more alert than she thought. Before she knew it, Sena had already moved towards the center of the red carpet having her pictures taken. And because of the delay, she had more screen time than any of the people who went ahead. 

The white knight costume stole the spotlight so far making her one of the best dressed among those who crossed the red carpet but there is another thing that made her stand out from the rest. Facing the live camera, she lifted her head and smiled to the viewers. 

[Did you see the golden necklace hanging on her neck? The pendant looks like a pink egg!]

At this moment Mrs Rosamaria’s eyes were also glued on the television screen. Crisanta who had been sitting by her side could feel the madam’s change of mood. 

“What a surprise, I never thought I’d see one of Histonia treasures tonight!” Mrs Lang said whilst throwing a provocative look at Crisanta. 

It was not a secret that Mrs Crisanta Luz gained the Rosamaria family’s favor by relying on that pill box they auctioned. Naturally, the haughty old friends of the madam were not happy to include her in their circle. Especially when her reputation was not so favorable.  

“What did you say, dear?” Mrs Rosamaria asked curiously. 

Mrs Lang smilingly pointed at the precious jewelry hanging on Sena Erde’s neck. “The imperial treasure ‘Rose Garden’, an egg-shaped locket pendant with gold stems and tiny rubies on it.”   

Crisanta frowned. 

Oh my God, that necklace! That seems to be one of Master Illuminari’s masterpiece. Worse, it appears to be the original design that inspired the pill box they auctioned. 

“That must be an imitation…”  

Mrs Lang chuckled, “Sena Erde is not a fool to wear fake jewelry on this kind of occasion.” 

Crisanta Luz felt her stomach clench and cold sweat dripped from her face.

“How could you be so—” 

Crash. 

A tea cup broke into slags on the expensive marble floor.

“Enough.” Mrs Rosamaria said coldly. 

Crisanta’s heart jumped to her throat. 

6