53: Cold night.
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hikaru called Kiri while getting ready for bed.

"Hello sweetheart," he answered.

"Hi, I finished finally, and I'm getting ready for bed," Hikaru told him.

Kiri chuckled softly and said, "Well, that's suggestive."

Hikaru froze and stared at her phone, her cheeks burning.

"Hikaru?" Kiri asked after a moment.

"Yes," she replied.

"I was just teasing," he said lightly.

"Only you weren't really were you?" she asked.

There was a pause before he answered, "Yes and no, it does sound suggestive to me, but I didn't think you meant it to, so I was teasing."

She replied, "Sorry."

"You're blushing like crazy aren't you?" he asked and she could picture his grin.

"Is video on one way?" she asked.

He laughed and replied, "No, but want to switch to it?"

Hikaru said uncomfortably, "But it's more expensive with you overseas isn't it?"

"I don't care," he told her.

"I feel like I've spent enough today," she said reluctantly. "But if you really want to?" He was silent and after a minute she asked, "Kiri?"

"Sorry, I should have thought. I should have added you to my accounts before I left," he said in a worried tone.

"What, why?" she asked, startled.

"How are you managing, what about grocery shopping and such?" he asked.

She protested, "I'm fine, none of that is a problem, this quarter's tuitions have already been paid. I just arranged to spend more than I expected on shelves, but I should have all summer to save up for fall. I'm just a little worried that if my grades drop I'll have to pay the other half on my own tuition."

"I want to switch to a video call," he said.

"OK," she agreed.

He ended the call and called her back. When she answered it took a moment to establish the connection and then he smiled at her. She grinned back at him.

"Um," she said after a few moments.

Kiri told her, "You look a little tired."

Hikaru laughed. "You look like you're in bed, didn't you tell me you'd turn off your phone when you were sleeping?"

Kiri smiled again and replied, "I am in bed, but I wasn't asleep yet, I've been going over the schedule."

"OK." She hesitated and then said, "I kind of want to show you the little shelf that I carried home, but I kind of want to surprise you when you get home too."

He smiled and suggested, "Surprise me then."

Hikaru smiled back and agreed, "Alright."

"Don't worry about your tuition, I'll pay that if your grades drop," he said a little stubbornly.

"Kiri," she protested.

"You promised to let me," he reminded her.

She opened her mouth to protest and then stopped and nodded.

He looked at her face and asked quietly, "Do you hate the idea of letting me take care of you so much?"

"It's not that," Hikaru protested.

"What is it then?" he asked.

She hesitated and tried to think of how to explain.

He sighed. "It's OK, don't worry about it."

Her mouth curved and she said quietly, "Kiri, I love you."

"I love you too," he replied.

"It's like what you said before, that I was asking to be partners, I think," she tried to explain.

"So can't partners help each other?" he asked.

"Yes, of course, but we're not equal. We don't have the same resources," she told him.

"I know, at least for now," he agreed. "But do we have to be equal for you to be happy?" he asked a little unhappily.

"No," she answered quickly. He looked at her skeptically and she asked, "What about you, did you really mean it when you said you'd be willing to stay at home with the kids someday?"

"Yes," he said after a minute.

Hikaru grinned at him.

He suddenly sat up and asked with alarm, "Are you…"

"No!" she interrupted. "Not now, not soon."

He fell back and laughed and then told her, "It would be OK anyway."

Hikaru watched him affectionately and said, "I love you so much."

Kiri blushed.

"And you are so freaking cute." She sighed.

"I love you like crazy," he said, and then added, "maybe video wasn't such a good idea, I wanted to see you, but now I want to hold you so much."

"Yes," she agreed.

They sighed in unison and then laughed together.

"We should try to sleep, I guess," Hikaru said reluctantly.

"Yes," Kiri agreed without enthusiasm.

"Would you be too busy to message in the morning when I'm on the bus?" she asked.

"No telling," he answered. "Message me anyway," he suggested.

"OK," she agreed.

"Goodnight Hikaru," he said quietly.

"Goodnight," she replied reluctantly.

He ended the call. And they both sighed in unison again.

Hikaru found that the sheets felt cold and had difficulty getting to sleep, but she was really tired and after some tossing and turning did manage to fall asleep.

… H to K

In the morning she messaged on her way to school.

Hikaru: Hi. Would you mind if I get new sheets?

Kiri: Good morning <3. Of course not?

Hikaru: Your silk sheets feel cold when you're not here. I'm used to linen in the summer and knit in the winter.

Kiri: We can use whatever kind of sheet you prefer.

Hikaru: Yours are fine when you're here, I'm never cold with you next to me. I'll try to go shopping tomorrow.

Kiri: Sorry. I could order some and have them delivered instead?

Hikaru: Do you have time?

Kiri: Yes. Grey knit?

Hikaru: Please.

Kiri: OK, have a good day, love you, gtg.

Hikaru: You too, love you too.

After school Hikaru rushed home and called out, "I'm home," as she opened the door, but the house was empty. Belatedly she recalled that Kiri's mother had said something about spending the afternoon with her grandchildren. 

Indeed, Tokiko had left her a note and a meal already prepared in the steamer. It suddenly occurred to Hikaru that Chisaki was one of those grandchildren, and she thought she must appear terribly young to her future mother in law.

Hikaru called Kiri, but he was too busy to pick up, so she sent a message reminding him of her schedule for the evening and that she hoped today was more fun. He sent back a quick ,"Love you," which made her hug her phone in a silly fashion for a moment.

She changed, did her homework, ate the food and glanced through the refrigerator for what she ought to buy on the way home. Then she went to play the piano for three hours at an Astro Lounge.

1