55: Fan 219
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Takeda was surprised but willing to talk to Mirage immediately despite the late hour. They arranged to meet him at The Pavilion.

Mirage arrived first and were settled into the large corner booth before Takeda arrived. They watched him approach, an older man, neatly dressed in a business suit. After greetings were exchanged, he sat comfortably next to Hatsuharu as though he met bands in family restaurants every day.

Ryuske, after arranging the meeting, seemed unable to speak, he just sat stiffly and stared at Takeda.

Hikaru whispered, "Do you know him after all?"

Ryuske shook his head. "I don't think so," he replied.

Takeda watched them curiously and Hikaru frowned and said, "I'm sorry, Ryuske had some bad history with Inline, but we're kind of stuck and Kiri said you have experience if we need advice."

Takeda was taken by surprise and offered hesitantly, "I know of Kobayashi Ryuske's history with Inline, and I greatly regret how the incident was handled at the time. Unfortunately I wasn't on the team dealing with Edge."

"I won't sign another contract without full veto rights," Ryuske said stiffly.

"Then we're wasting our time here," Takeda said calmly and moved to stand.

Hikaru interrupted before he rose from his seat. "Wait please, you'll have to be willing to explain everything for us to get anywhere. Why is a contract with full veto rights impossible?"

Takeda settled back into his seat, but instead of answering, asked, "If Kiri, by which I'm assuming you meant Takeshi-san, told you I've got enough experience to give advice, why aren't you asking him directly, he's got enough experience to offer the same advice and he's my boss?"

Hikaru answered honestly, "Because he's very busy tonight and because he doesn't want to work with us."

Takeda looked at her thoughtfully and said, "He's in Korea tonight so far as I know."

Hikaru nodded and said, "And he'll be busy until 3am, and then he needs to sleep."

Takeda raised his brows at her and asked, "And why doesn't he want to work with you?"

Hikaru blushed and replied, "Because he's my fiancé."

Ryuske clenched his hands and said, "It doesn't matter, I won't sign without veto, if we can't have that, we are wasting our time."

Rin thumped Ryuske on the shoulder and said, "Hush, even if we only get advice without a contract, it will benefit us."

Takeda surveyed Mirage's members slowly and then answered the earlier question, "A contract with full veto is impossible because the company needs to make a profit off of the deal. We can't put ourselves in the position of having to pay for the production of things that a group then refuses to release."

Even Ryuske nodded at this explanation, though reluctantly.

Takeda asked cautiously, "What kind of situation are you in that you suddenly need a manager's advice?"

Hikaru said when Ryuske stayed silent, "Our song is being pirated by another company, they're trying to force us into signing their contract."

"Hikaru!" Ryuske protested.

Hatsuharu said quietly, "If we want useful advice, we have to tell him the entire situation."

Ryuske said bitterly, "And put ourselves at his mercy too?"

Takeda started to reply but Hikaru interrupted, "Yes, if necessary. You already made the call."

Ryuske looked at her for a moment and then looked away and nodded.

"And as for the full veto, then if Mirage paid the production costs up until the album was ready to release, it would be possible?" Hikaru asked Takeda.

He shrugged and said, "I suppose it would, but there would be no signing bonus, no guarantee of any profit."

"As long as it's not impossible, that's enough for now," Hikaru said firmly. Then she explained the situation Mirage was caught in, with help from Rin and Hatsuharu. Ryuske was silent.

Hatsuharu added, "There's another problem with the releases that company has made. They are using our full names."

Ryuske spoke at last, "I tried to put in a complaint. I even asked Nezumi if he could hack it and edit the information, he said he can't."

Takeda asked, "Why is having your full names published a problem?"

Hatsuharu said, "Because I could get fired or Hikaru could get expelled."

Takeda looked at Hikaru and asked cautiously, "Are you still a minor?"

Hikaru blushed and nodded, but instead of reacting with shock or mentioning Kiri, Takeda smiled with pleasure.

"In that case, having the information corrected should be easy. If we decide to work together," Takeda said.

Rin said coolly, "If we decide to work together, I'm sure there are all sorts of things you can do to help, and if we don't decide to work together? What does a man who's been planning his retirement want with Mirage?"

Takeda laughed openly. When he finished laughing, he said weakly, "I feel you have me at a disadvantage, if we don't work together I'll tell you my idea before I go."

Hikaru pointed out, "We feel the same way."

Takeda sobered and nodded. "Alright then, I'll lay my own situation out for you as well. I have been thinking of retiring soon, but I saw Mirage play and looked into you. You're good, but you seem like a part time band."

The members of Mirage nodded.

Takeda continued, "But I thought there was potential for an album perhaps anyway, a part time job with a part time band for an old man."

Ryuske twitched but didn't comment.

Takeda eyed him and said cautiously, "I didn't realize at first that Mirage had Kobayashi Ryuske, I found that out while I was researching you, but in your situation that could be used to great advantage, if you were willing. Even more so if Mirage takes a contract with Inline."

Ryuske nodded once.

Hikaru asked, "What fan number are you?"

Everyone looked at her in surprise, but Takeda grinned at her and said, "219".

Ryuske returned his gaze to Takeda with shock.

Takeda smiled gently and said, "I think Mirage is great." To Ryuske directly he added, "And you've improved vastly. In your song composition, in the many instruments you've learned. Musically, the Kobayashi Ryuske of Mirage is incomparable to the Kobayashi Ryuske of Edge."

"Just Ryuske, Mirage's Ryuske," corrected Ryuske stiffly.

Takeda nodded and accepted the correction. "So, we need to figure out if we can work together, then, regardless of the outcome, I'll tell you the things I've thought that could be done for your situation," he told the members of Mirage.

"How much does it cost to get an album ready for production?" Hikaru asked.

Takeda looked at her and said, "The recording is the smallest part. If you were willing to record hours when no one else is scheduled to use a studio, we could even cut a deal for you to do the recording at Inline even if Mirage pays the production costs. It's the other stuff that I doubt your ability to cover."

1