69: Well-laid plans.
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rin asked, "Are we really putting that video out already?"

Ryuske looked startled and replied, "I thought that was our plan?"

Hatsuharu and Hikaru gazed over at the pair of them curiously. 

Rin scratched his head and then folded his arms and nodded. "Yes," he agreed, "I just can't believe things are really moving this fast. I thought we were waiting for Hikaru to graduate before we actually put out our first album and that we'd just been laying ground work."

Nezumi spoke up suddenly, "I'm not a member of the band, should I leave?" Everyone turned to stare at him and he fidgeted under their gazes.

"Aren't you?" Hikaru asked. When he looked at her with a shocked expression, she added, "You've even got your own chibi on the website."

Hatsuharu chuckled and Ryuske replied to both Rin and Nezumi, "Actually, I've been discussing it with Takeda, and we should talk about both our publishing schedule plans and Nezumi's status with the band."

Everyone focused on Ryuske and he stood up and began to pace back and forth. After a moment he stopped and looked at Nezumi and asked, "What do you think, are you willing to be a permanent member of the band and earn a percentage with the rest of us or do you want to continue being employed by contract?"

Nezumi answered with shock, "I am not performing on stage! Ever!"

Ryuske laughed and replied, "Staff member, not performing member."

Nezumi frowned and scrunched up his thin face in thought. Ryuske resumed pacing. After a minute Nezumi asked, "An equal percentage?"

Ryuske looked at the other members of Mirage and Hatsuharu answered first, "I think that's reasonable at this point. As busy as we've been this week, and as much as our fan club has expanded, if things are going to continue like this, we'll need full time support on our website soon not even counting these special effects projects and our stage equipment."

Nezumi answered, "I'm already screening applications for more moderators on the fan club, don't worry about that."

Rin laughed and said, "I'm for giving Nezumi an equal share."

Nezumi frowned and said, "But you guys are the ones creating the music."

Hikaru laughed and asked, "Why does it sound like you're the only one voting against being a full member. Will you make more money on your current contract position?"

Ryuske grinned at her and Nezumi blinked and replied thoughtfully, "Only if you don't sell at least," he paused and calculated, "about thirty five thousand copies of your album in the first two years."

Hikaru stared. Rin whistled and said for them both, "That's a lot," he continued, "I didn't realize we were paying you that well."

Hatsuharu said practically, "We haven't had any trouble paying his current rates."

Ryuske laughed and said, "We make our money now off of live performances, you weren't expecting to stop playing live as soon as we publish were you?"

Everyone looked at Ryuske and shook their heads and Nezumi said quietly, "I'll join. What will it change?"

Ryuske answered, "Not much, only you'll have a vote on our contracts and you won't get paid extra for 18 hour projects, he replied pointing at the video screen."

"OK," Nezumi agreed. 

Then Ryuske sat back down in front of his computer and hooked his phone to it. He gestured everyone over and placed a video call to Takeda.

Takeda answered promptly and looked at them all in surprise. Ryuske said, "Nezumi agreed to become official, and we're ready to talk about the publishing schedule."

Takeda smiled and said, "Good. I'll email you a contract Nezumi-san." Then he talked to them about the plan he'd formulated for taking advantage of the pirated publication.

He outlined a release schedule of one official music video every two weeks, until Hikaru's graduation. Each song would become available digitally as it's video was released, and Inline would add it to their radio broadcast contracts. After Hikaru graduated, their full album would be published. He admitted that this wasn't a usual marketing strategy, but said, "If the songs do well, then people who heard them will want an album that has both those songs plus 6 more."

Rysuke frowned and said, "I wanted to publish Mirage's Mirage first."

Takeda shook his head in negation. "Your other song is already out there. I think it will be more effective if Mirage is the last video before the album release, since we can't make it the first one published."

Takeda also told them a little about the legal actions that were in progress regarding that song. A little hesitantly he told Ryuske, "What I suggested, about you treating it as a competition prize, that's official now. And I've got a couple of places that already really want an interview."

Ryuske nodded calmly. "OK, set it up," he replied. Rin looked at him in surprise but didn't ask anything until the call was finished. 

Takeda covered a few more details, and then suggested, "I'd like to have you do a real concert about the same time your album comes out. If we can't do one of just you, maybe as the warm up for a..."

Ryuske held up his hand and replied, "We're already scheduled as the supporting band for a concert during spring break."

"That's not on your public schedule," Takeda replied frowning. 

Ryuske laughed and replied, to the curious stares of his band mates, "That's because it was supposed to be a surprise for Hikaru. Um, surprise!" He declared, turning to look at her. 

She looked back at him in confusion. "What?" she asked. 

He said, "Takahashi is going to thump me on the head again," and Hikaru's mouth formed an O, while Rin laughed outright. 

"Night Dreams is performing here during spring break?!" Hikaru asked excitedly. 

Ryuske nodded and replied, "And we're their warm up and intermission band."

Hikaru was too excited to reply coherently and Ryuske laughed and told Takeda that he'd send the details, then closed the call. 

…H to T

When she calmed down a little, Hikaru messaged Taka-ji.

Hikaru: You're coming for spring break? 

Takahashi: Surprise! Ryu-chan told? 

Hikaru: Our manager was going over our schedule, so he had to. 

Takahashi: *sigh* D: I wanted to surprise you in person love. 

Hikaru: I'm so happy! 

Takahashi: I'm glad. Love you, got to go. Don't tell your mom and brother until I get there unless you have to?

Hikaru: OK 

...

Rin cornered Ryuske and asked seriously, "Are you really going to be OK doing an interview alone?"

Ryuske looked at him in surprise.

Rin said quietly, "They are going to ask things about Edge. As far as I know you haven't appeared in public outside of Mirage's performances since I met you Ryu. They are going to ask."

Hikaru and Hatsuharu looked at them with concern. 

Ryuske swallowed and nodded. "I know," he replied. 

Rin pulled his hair back and thought, then said seriously, "Talk about it with Takeda, maybe he can get them to submit their questions to Inline in advance?"

Ryuske shrugged and replied, "I will, but I think I'll be OK. Don't worry."

Nezumi spoke up suddenly, "Do you want to pre-release the fact that you were with Edge before that to the fan club?" 

Everyone looked at him and he flinched.

Ryuske considered the question seriously. "I don't know, why?"

Nezumi said, "If the rumors start with Mirage, it's less," he hesitated. 

Hatsuharu said thoughtfully, "Then Ryuske will have support from our fans if anyone tries to attack him claiming he was hiding it."

Nezumi added, "That and you can control what gets leaked to your interviewer before you go, somewhat."

Ryuske looked at Nezumi and asked a little shocked, "By our fans?"

Nezumi shrugged and replied, "People stole sound and video files from the fan club to create that release, you don't have to love Mirage to join, you just have to pay the fee."

1