6: Mirage.
60 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On Saturday mornings, Mirage practiced. Sometimes Kobayashi Ryuske would have a new song written up for them to learn. This time he had a new challenge for them. "I've submitted a late entry for Mirage to the Underground Competition," he told them.

Rin whistled and asked, "Do you think we'll even get in?"

"I don't know," Ryuske replied. "But if we're going to try for an album release, we need more publicity. And in the meantime, we need to start practicing like we're sure we'll get in, because if we don't, and we get in, it'll be a wasted opportunity."

Rin, Hikaru and Hatsuharu nodded their understanding.

"I think we should work on some real choreography," Ryuske said.

"Because we've only done fake choreography up 'till now?" Rin asked wryly, tucking his long hair back.

"I mean dancing," Ryuske clarified.

They argued about it for awhile, but eventually gave in to his plan. They would only have five minutes if they got a spot in the competition, enough for one long song or two short ones. Ryuske wanted them to do two short ones, and had selected four to practice. Two covers of old songs that the audience would find familiar and two of their own songs, they would play one of each.

"This way we can switch which song we play depending on whatever was played before us," Ryuske pointed out, his dark eyes intense.

Hatsuharu cheerfully agreed, "A flexible plan of attack, I like it."

If Hatsuharu also thought it was a good idea, Rin and Hikaru weren't even going to bother opposing it. Both of them had developed respect for Ryuske's understanding of performance and Hatsuharu's experience in business over the two years Mirage had been together.

--

Mirage was an odd mix:

Saito Hatsuharu might look like a short balding salaryman (because he was), but he was Mirage's rock, steady and cheerful. He was the one who had done the math and paperwork to set up their group finances. He was also their drummer, despite having just turned 50. His wife was his biggest fan, as long as he didn't keep his drums at home.

Rin never used his surname. He was very tall and had a wicked sense of humor. Women flocked to him (for reasons unfathomable to Hikaru). He was 26, a semi-famous bass player, and a motorcycle mechanic. Rin had played with a number of famous bands, but until Mirage he'd never joined one for more than a few months. 

Kobayashi Ryuske (Ryu-sensei) was a private music teacher. He wrote music and acted as their leader. He was also their lead singer, with a deep resonant singing voice that recorded well. He could play almost anything. He'd been in a professional band once before, in his teens. Now at 29, he was still striking, even beautiful in photographs (and a borderline recluse).

Hitoshi Hikaru, 17 year old high-school student, was Mirage's second lead. Her voice had a broad range, and some Mirage fans assumed she was a boy. Her father had started teaching her to play the piano before he died, and she'd learned to play his old guitar after he was gone.

Mirage's only permanent staff member Nezumi (not his real name… probably), was Ryuske's co-conspirator in crafting unique stage equipment. He also designed Mirage's website and fanclub, and dealt with their digital privacy and security. He rarely ever met the other members (or anyone) in person.

--

After several hours of working through the four songs and blocking out sections of movement Ryuske told them doubtfully, "We might have to add extra practice days."

Rin and Hikaru who'd borne the brunt of the new maneuvers in their practice groaned in unison. 

Hatsuharu who would be sitting behind the drums was exempted from dancing. He had been patient and steady with the repetitive snatches of rhythm required for hour after hour of practice.

Ryuske would be behind the keyboard during most of the songs selected for the competition and had minimal footwork. He wasn't as tired as Rin and Hikaru, but he was also ready to stop. "We'll see how next weekend's practice goes," he promised, or perhaps threatened them.

--

Mirage's performance notice had been posted on their website in plenty of time for a significant portion of their fanclub to attend this Saturday evening's live, even though it was out in the suburbs. About 30 of the audience members posted in performance attendance on their site based fanclub. 

Mirage was a relatively successful band locally. They currently played a mix of cover songs and originals. When they'd started out, they'd only had three original songs including their title song, which Ryuske had written the day they'd formed the band. Even though they now had over a dozen of their own, they still didn't have enough to fill four hours.

It was a pleasant night. The club that had hired them was pleased with their four hour performance, and the members of Mirage were pleased with the prompt payment and suggestion of future performances. Mirage's fans who were old enough to enter the club were pleased by the reasonable cover charge.

2