11: Unscheduled rebellion.
45 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

School on Monday was typical of school and Mondays, it sucked. Lunch was spent in a babble of conversation with Shizuoka and Risa. Shizuoka was thrilled that Hikaru had a phone now and confessed that she'd deleted the message from a strange contact without reading it.

Shizuoka liked older men, so didn't see a problem with Kiri's age, but she shared Risa's doubts over what kind of guy might be interested in Hikaru. 

Hikaru was offended. "You've been complaining that I don't date for ages, and dragging me out with you! Why aren't you thrilled? And what's wrong with him wanting to date me?"

"You're just, um, so quiet? And you insist on wearing such plain clothes, and it's odd that someone who hasn't seen you on stage yet is so interested?" Shizuoka told her while reaching out and tucking a strand of Hikaru's hair back with one neatly manicured hand.

Risa protested, "Hikaru is really pretty when she does let me dress her up!"

Hikaru rolled her eyes at her friends. She told them he'd agreed to meet her friends when he picked her up on Wednesday.

The three of them went out together after school, but only for an hour. Risa had babysitting duty for her five younger siblings that evening. It was a frequent occurrence and her friends were used to it.

--

That evening Hikaru received another call during supper. Izumi glared at her when she left the table to answer it. It was a number she didn't recognize, so she answered it hesitantly.

It was the owner of Night Owls. He explained that he'd begged Yukito-san for her contact so he could make his request directly. 

"Hikaru-san, the band we had scheduled tomorrow cancelled, and I haven't been able to find a replacement. Could you play until 11pm? Could your band play?" he asked hopefully.

Night Owls had her play regularly, usually at least once a week, so she agreed without much hesitation. Hikaru said, "I'll ask the band members, but I can't promise anything." As a rule Mirage was strictly a weekend band, due to Hatsuharu's work schedule and Hikaru's school schedule. 

The call was ended with profuse exclamations of gratitude from Night Owls owner. "Thank you again," he repeated as the call closed.

Hikaru verified Ryuske's contact information and called him before returning to the supper table. He answered with surprise, "Hi? Oh, Hikaru, I see your message now."

Hikaru laughed and replied, "Yes. Are you free tomorrow night?" She explained the situation. 

Ryuske said, after checking his tutoring schedule, "I could come play starting at 8pm when your usual set ends. I'll call Rin and Hatsuharu and ask if they are available." 

"That would be great," she replied with relief. "Everyone needs to wear something red," she added. She also warned him, "I forgot to ask how much we'd be paid, so it might be less than Mirage usually demands."

Ryuske reassured her that he didn't mind helping out a place that regularly employed her.

When the call ended, she sent a message to Yukito-san verifying that she'd taken the job. He acted as an unpaid agent, playing the middleman on all the solo performances she did. He'd arranged it with Hikaru and her mother after the first time she'd played on stage.

--

Hikaru returned to the table and took a deep breath before announcing, "I agreed to work until 11pm tomorrow."

"What the hell?" protested Izumi questioningly.

"Night Owls has been really good to me and they're in a bind tomorrow over a cancellation, so I agreed to help," Hikaru explained reasonably.

Miri nodded and said, "Of course."

"It's not 'of course'," he replied to Miri. "You won't get to bed until midnight," Izumi fussed at Hikaru.

"One night won't hurt me Izumi-san," Hikaru replied with amusement, thinking of how often she'd worked the evening shift last year. She'd had a grocery stocking job before switching to music full time.

Izumi was not amused. "You think your curfew is a joke," he said bitingly. Miri laid a placating hand on his arm, but he shrugged it off. Hikaru tensed. Izumi continued angrily, "You only follow it when it's convenient!"

A rare burst of anger flared up in her. "If I'm only following it when it's convenient, then I'm going out tonight," she replied icily.

"Hikaru?" Miri asked in alarm.

"I would have gone on a date tonight, if I didn't have this stupid curfew!" Hikaru snapped. She sprang to her feet in agitation.

"Sit down," ordered Izumi demandingly.

Hikaru glared at him and said quietly but firmly, "No." She turned, went to the door, grabbed her jacket, and walked out.

She walked to the bus stop out of habit. There she sat down and looked at her phone. Her phone said it was only 7:15 but she called Kiri anyway. 

"Hello, Hikaru sweetheart?" he answered immediately.

"Kiri, can I see you tonight after all?" Hikaru asked uncertainly.

There was a pause and then he replied, "Sure, where are you? I'm already on the road."

"Sitting at the bus stop near my house," she replied ruefully.

"Just stay there then and I'll pick you up shortly," he suggested.

"OK," she agreed. "Kiri, we shouldn't talk while you're driving."

"OK," he agreed and Hikaru ended the call.

A bus came by on its route, but Hikaru didn't take it. Within 15 minutes Kiri arrived, and Hikaru climbed into the passenger seat, carefully did up her seatbelt, and sat silently as he pulled away from the curb.

"Dinner?" he suggested after a few moments.

"Sure," she replied tensely. "I had barely started eating."

He glanced at her from the corner of his eye. "Something happened," he stated.

She shrugged.

He bit his lip, and asked, "Are you OK?"

She nodded, her eyes fixed on the road ahead of them. She flinched when a car pulled out right in front of them, but nothing happened.

Kiri asked hesitantly, "Do you mind telling me why I'm unexpectedly enjoying your company tonight? What happened?"

Hikaru looked at him and then quickly returned her gaze to the road. "I don't mind, but can I tell you after we've arrived?"

Kiri nodded, and the rest of the drive passed in silence.

3