19: Hot date.
35 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hikaru showered and dressed in her new outfit. Miri insisted on adding a wide filmy black scarf with red sakura flowers printed on it. This she draped over Hikaru's elbows like a shawl. Hikaru had to agree that the effect was nice.

"But where did you get it?" Hikaru asked.

"Your father gave it to me, but I don't wear black very often," her mother replied.

Hikaru added silently, 'Or anything that makes you remember too much.'

"Keep it," her mother suggested.

Hikaru nodded.

She carried the pretty black-back, tapestry-fronted fan shaped clutch that she'd had for several years but had only used at a couple of summer festivals.

She felt a little embarrassed climbing onto the bus. She sat gingerly on the seat and rode to the downtown station. Kiri was waiting at the platform.

He was dressed in all black, a dressy suit with a black silk shirt, and no tie. Hikaru couldn't decide exactly how it was different from his business suits, but it was. He said "Wow," and took her hands as she stepped up onto the platform. He kissed her lightly.

She withdrew her hands and twirled for him, and grinned. He laughed and grabbed her and hugged her close.

"I should take you dancing," he said softly against her ear.

Hikaru hesitated and asked, "Where could we go dancing? We can't go to a bar while I'm still under age. I've never really danced," she added.

Kiri frowned and thought a bit. "Umm," he said.

"Does it matter what kind of music?" Hikaru asked.

Kiri shook his head and looked at her inquisitively.

"We could go to my uncle Kaoru's restaurant, it has a tiny dance floor that doesn't get used much, but Friday's and Saturday's there's usually live music. It's all instrumental though," Hikaru suggested.

"That works," he replied. "And I can teach you to dance," he added and grinned at her. She blushed and nodded.

Hikaru led him. They walked hand in hand downtown and up the stairs near where they'd bought the cell phone. When they arrived, Kiri said with surprise, "This is your uncle's place? I wouldn't have imagined the owner of this place would have to live so conservatively to pay half your brother's tuition. It seems really successful."

"It is being really successful. He's still paying it off though, one year left on a five year loan," Hikaru replied.

Kiri gave a soft whistle and nodded, then led Hikaru inside.

When they entered the restaurant the maître d' smiled at them but said, "I'm sorry Takeshi-san, but we are full tonight, and I don't have a reservation for you."

Hikaru blinked in surprise, but stepped up beside Kiri and said, "We don't really need a table, we came to try dancing a little."

The maître d' dropped his pen and said with alarm, "I'll get the owner!" He made a hasty exit toward the kitchen.

"So," Hikaru said to Kiri, "you come here too?"

Kiri nodded and said, "I like it, I probably come here at least a couple times a month."

"Wow," Hikaru replied. "But you haven't been on Sundays?"

Kiri shook his head and said, "I don't think so, certainly not in the morning."

Hikaru's uncle Kaoru bustled toward them trailing the worried looking maître d'. He frowned as he approached, wiping his hands on a corner of the white apron he wore. 

When he got close enough he said, "Kai said my niece is dressed to the nines and arrived here with an unsuitably older man."

"Kao-ji-chan!" Hikaru protested, and stepped in front of Kiri defensively.

Kiri looked at Hikaru's uncle uncertainly. Kaoru was a little taller than Hikaru, but had the same hair and eyes as Miri.

Kaoru looked Hikaru over and said, "Wow. Why don't I know about this date, or even that you're dating? How long have you been dating?"

"About a week and a half. You did know I'm dating, you didn't know we were coming here because we just decided it," Hikaru said.

Kaoru raised an eyebrow at her. "No I didn't," he denied.

Hikaru blushed and said, "Last Sunday you asked if I were in a hurry because I had a hot date, and I said yes."

Kiri laughed and Kaoru gaped at his niece. Then Kaoru looked at Kiri and said knowingly, "You aren't his usual type though, and isn't he a little old for you?"

Hikaru answered firmly, "He's not too old for me." She put her hands at her hips and added, "And I know I'm not. His dates are usually older, better dressed, shorter and more voluptuously beautiful."

"Hikaru!" Kiri protested in shock, "What the hell? Where did that come from? And you have no idea how good you look tonight!"

Kaoru looked at his niece.

Hikaru blushed and said, "Well, I'm guessing from things that were said."

"What things? Who said?" Kiri demanded.

"Kazuha-san indicated that they're more," Hikaru gestured, "and you said that you hadn't dated a high-school girl since you were in high school."

"OK," he acknowledged, "but when did I ever claim to date shorter women?" he asked.

"You said I was unusually tall when we met, so usually is shorter?" Hikaru replied.

Kiri sighed and nodded, but reached out and laid his hand against her cheek. "But none more beautiful or better dressed," he said firmly.

"More expensively dressed?" Hikaru asked.

Kiri leaned forward and rested his forehead against hers and laughed. "Knowing you, that is probably true, but only means you are more stylish."

Kaoru who had watched this exchange in silence turned to his maître d', and said, "We can't be that full, show me."

The man did so, and Kaoru said, "Give this large party the banquet room when they arrive, and shuffle tables as needed." To his niece he said, "You ARE staying to dinner, and I will eat with you on my break, and we WILL talk. But as amusing as watching this is, I must get back to my kitchen."

Hikaru swallowed and nodded.

Kaoru left them.

They were told they'd need to wait a bit for a table. Hikaru asked if they could try dancing a bit while they waited. The maître d' collected Hikaru's things and Kiri's jacket and led them to the small floor before the quartet that was playing tonight.

Kiri led her into the small floor and grinned at her. He took her by the waist and said, "The thing to remember about nearly all dancing is that it's a form of flirtation. Keep eye contact as much as possible, and remember it's a chase."

Hikaru looked at him in puzzlement.

"When I step back, you chase," he explained and pulled her after him. "When I chase," he stepped forward against her and she stepped back, "you run," he said with a grin.

Hikaru laughed and nodded.

"Don't worry too much about where your feet are, just try to mirror the movement, to start with," he smiled at her.

"OK," she replied.

"We'll start out touching a little, to make it easier," he reassured her. He pulled her hand up onto his shoulder, took her other hand, and placed his other hand at her waist. He stood so that they were slightly offset and their calves touched where they overlapped. 

"OK," he said, and stepped back.

She followed belatedly and he smiled and stepped forward, pressing her back. Then he stepped back again, but she managed to step with him.

Like when they'd kissed, he led her slowly and soon they were moving in time to the music. When she'd kept up for a little bit he'd add a little more complexity, and wait until she was keeping up easily again.

2