29: Professional evaluation.
46 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That night, after a long day of coaxing and herding the crew, Kiri visited Mirage's website. The band crowded around him because they were bored and curious. Kiri ignored them at first.

"Is this a new group Inline is taking on?" Shiori asked.

"No, it's my girlfriend's band," Kiri replied.

"Dude, I didn't know you swung that way," long haired Kuhasa laughed, looking at the photos of Mirage's members.

Kei elbowed him, and said, "They look hard to market with that much age range, especially if one of them is actually a girl."

Kiri cast a flat glare backward at the band members.

The quietest member, Ginta, said softly, "They have a good publicity handler though. Read their information again, it sounds like they're being open, but they aren't. They list only their first names, position in the band, and stuff like their favourite food, a hobby, their favourite color. All personal but insignificant."

Kiri looked over the profiles again. He nodded and repeated what Hikaru had said, "It's on purpose because one member is still in school and the others have regular jobs."

The fifth profile had only a silhouette and for name said Nezumi, under position it said wizard.

The site was easy to navigate, and after he'd browsed the public portion, which included the band's calendar of future and past performances, Kiri selected the fanclub area. It brought up a page that told him about the one time membership fee, the terms, and a brief overview of the posting rights of members and extra content the band would provide in this section.

He thought the fee of fifty seemed a little steep for a small band's membership, but paid it.

He was rewarded with a short animation of chibi versions of the band members performing and assigned fan number 347.

He was then given a short profile to complete. When he set his favorite band member to Hikaru, a chibi animation of her leaned out of the side of the form and waved happily.

"Damn, that's cute," Shiori said, "choose the others."

Kiri glared at him, but tried each one.

Ryuske's chibi played a few notes on a keyboard.

Rin's blew a heart shaped kiss.

Hatsuharu's winked while his bald head twinkled with the same animated star as his wink cast.

Nezumi's chibi silhouette reacted with shock, fell over and crawled back off the screen.

Kiri set his favorite back to Hikaru, opted in for phone notifications of Mirage performances, and submitted the form.

Inside the member section were demo recordings posted by the band, additional photos, and brief surveys on things like what song do you wish Mirage would cover, or which is your favorite Mirage song? All fairly standard.

But most of the fan member section seemed to revolve around member postings. There was a sightings timeline. Kiri opened it curiously. It turned out any fan could post a sighting, with or without photo or video. And the band members could then confirm the sightings. Sightings could be sorted by confirmed or unconfirmed, location, date, or band member present.

The chibi animations of the four performing members made appearances now and then throughout the fan section. The member list of usernames and profile photos could be browsed, Miri was fan #1.

Kiri had mixed feelings. The site was excellently written and the portrayal of the band professional. It wasn't the kind of thing a small weekend band would usually maintain. Also, 347 fans, while it sounded like a small fan base, meant that more than 17k had been collected in member fees. And that was only the people willing to pay the fee.

The band he was working with were laughing and joking around. Shiori laughed and said, "Looks like they're no competition for us with less than 500 fans." His own band boasted over 20k membership in their fan club.

Ginta exchanged a look with Kiri.

Kiri reminded them, "Membership in your fanclub is only five, not fifty. Mirage only plays on weekends for the most part. I wouldn't slack off if I were you."

… K to H

"Hikaru, I miss you like crazy." Kiri said when they finally connected.

"Me too," Hikaru admitted.

They talked about random things. Kiri told her about some of the antics the film crew had gotten up to involving a basket of kittens and an irate grandmother. They'd decided the kittens would be cute to take pictures with. Not all of the kittens had agreed with the plan. The old lady had found them with a kitten ferociously attacking Shiori's ear and two more hanging off his sleeves.

Hikaru told Kiri they'd been accepted into the competition. "But Rin says we're guaranteed to lose," she added.

"Why?" Kiri asked.

"We've been assigned the first performance slot, so we're basically the warm up band," she explained.

"Ouch," he said sympathetically.

"Ryuske says it will still accomplish our purpose though," Hikaru said.

"What's the purpose?" he asked.

"To become a little better known. We're going to try to publish an album, but we'll be able to get a better contract if the companies we're applying to have already heard of us, Ryuske says," she explained.

He was silent a moment, then asked, "An album?"

"It's my fault," Hikaru replied. 

"Your fault?" Kiri asked with confusion.

"I got an offer for a summer job. To play all summer at a resort. If you break it down per hour, it's less than I'm making now, but it'd be consistent." She paused and then continued, "Ryuske said that if I left for a whole summer, the band would probably break up, I think we could just take a summer off, but anyway... He said if I was only considering taking it because I needed the money, we could make more money. He asked me to give him until graduation before I decided. We are already making more than we did last year, but getting the album published is part of a long term plan."

"I see," he replied.

"We're talking about doing our annual free concert in the park near the competition, right after we perform our entry," she added, " because the place where the competition is held has very limited capacity and Rin and Ryuske think we can pick up overflow from it as well as the usual audience, to sort of double our exposure."

"I see," Kiri said again. Silence fell for a moment and then suddenly he said, "It's selfish, but I'd rather you didn't go work at a resort somewhere all summer either. Hikaru would you consider moving in with me after you graduate?"

Hikaru didn't answer right away, and Kiri almost withdrew the question, but then she said, "I'd like that, if it's really OK, you said you usually wait till you've been dating six months to live with someone."

Kiri said, "I know, but... I don't want to wait that long, if you're willing."

"OK," she replied shyly.

Kiri's boss added an unpleasant surprise to the next update from the home office. Kiri sighed and shuffled schedules around, consulted with the crew and managed to free up a couple hours to work on the problem.

Inline Productions was going to have to make some changes soon he realized.

3