Chapter 6: Trapped
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To my surprise, the creature loosens its grip on my feet. Using its tail, it plucks an apple from the nearby tree and offers it to me. I take it hesitantly, observing its red, firm, and shiny appearance. It does look appetising, and I realise just how famished I am. I open my mouth to take a bite when a sudden sense of dread washes over me.

Just in time, I see something is wrong with the apple. Tossing it to the ground, a black worm wriggles out from within. Disgusted, my heart races even faster.

"Nice try," I tell the Wisp, hoping my bravado doesn't betray my fear. "I won't eat it, and I won't be tricked. I want to go back."

Aereda's laughter echoes in my ears as the violet light surrounding its body intensifies, casting eerie purple flames around us. It raises its body menacingly until its wooden-masked head towers above me. The creature leans back slightly, preparing to pounce.

My primal instincts kick in and I run. My ears ring as I sprint with every ounce of strength in me, gooseflesh prickling my skin as adrenaline courses through me. I glance back to see the creature slithering across the meadow with alarming speed, pursuing after me.

There is nowhere to hide in the clearing of the forest, so I veer towards the trees, hoping to find some cover. Branches whip against my skin as I dodge roots and stones. Shit. It's making me slow down.

"Where is that fucking door?" I mutter to myself, desperation seeping into my voice. I recognise the landscape – it's the same forest I'd first entered this world through. Familiar doors of all shapes and colours line the path, but none of them are the door to my house in Nottinghamshire.

"Damn! Where is it?" My breaths come in short gasps as I frantically search for my escape route.

In a final effort, I try the blue door that belonged to my home in Stirling. I yank on the knob, but it refuses to budge. Locked.

I come to a halt suddenly, sensing something's off. My heart races, and I stand completely still, barely daring to breathe. An icy breath tickles the back of my neck, sending chills down my spine.

"Fuck," I mutter under my breath, gathering the courage to turn around. And there it is – Aereda, the bloody nightmare with its sinister wooden mask and lifeless eyes. I instinctively take a step back, only to find myself trapped against the very door I'd tried in desperation to open.

"You can't escape from me," Aereda says in its jarring voice, making my skin crawl. "After all, you and I are going to become great friends."

I scoff, trying to hide my fear behind sarcasm. "You've got a funny way of showing it." My mind races, searching for any possible escape route or distraction. If only I had listened before...

Without warning, a sharp pain pierces my thigh, as if someone has jabbed a needle into it. The Wisp, the tree, the meadow – everything around me blurs and fades away, swallowed by darkness. My stomach lurches, and I feel like I'm falling.

"Wh-what's happening?" I stammer, my thoughts a chaotic mess.

As the light returns, I blink, struggling to adjust. There's Leonora, her face lined with worry, holding a large needle. "I'm sorry I had to prick you. Did it hurt a lot?" she asks, concern clear in her voice.

"Err, well... No?" I say, rubbing my thigh where the pain had struck.

I glance around the room, taking in the shattered glass from the teacups on the floor and Nyx sprawled out on the couch. It feels like I've been gone for ages, but everything's just as I left it. I'm back, sitting at Leonora's desk as if nothing happened. "Why did you prick me?" I ask Leonora, still rubbing my thigh.

"I'm sorry – you wouldn’t snap out of the trance otherwise," she replies, her brow furrowed with concern. "Did any creature approach you? Please tell me you didn’t eat anything while you were there."

"No… I didn't eat anything. A Wisp offered me an apple, but I didn’t eat it." My heart races at the memory of that horrifying wooden mask and four-eyed face.

"So a Wisp talked to you? What was its name?" Leonora asks while she examines me, checking I'm in one piece.

"Hum...," I hesitate, drawing a blank. "It had a wooden mask and four eyes. It was creepy."

Why can't I remember its name? I think it told me...

"Did it do something to you? Are you okay?" Leonora's voice is filled with worry.

"I think so," I say, trying to reassure her. "There was a forest full of doors and lots of little lights... I think the lights were Wisps. I entered through a door that was in a huge cherry tree. That was the world of Wisps, wasn’t it?" The memory of it all feels distant now, like a fading dream. The breeze, the smell of the grass, and the touch of the trees felt real.

"Yes," Leonora responds. "We call it Wispwood. The landscape varies depending on the witch. It can even change over time, but there are always trees. For you, the world manifests itself as a forest full of doors; for me, it's a magnificent garden. The first time can be a bit intimidating, but most Wisps are harmless. I would have gone with you, but you traced the Triskelion three times and went into a trance."

"A trance? What happens while I’m there?" I ask, still feeling a bit disoriented.

"Your consciousness travels to the other world, leaving your body behind. It can be dangerous if you're not careful," Leonora explains, her hand rubbing my shoulder. "Next time, we'll go together, alright?"

"Definitely," I agree, relieved by the thought of having Leonora by my side.

"Even with experience, it's not always easy to return from Wispwood. That's one of the reasons we witches have familiars – they protect us while we're vulnerable or wake us up if something bad happens." She glances over at Nyx, who is still sprawled on the couch, half-asleep, looking kind of cute.

"Next time, we'll go together and I'll explain how you can get your powers," Leonora suggests, and I can't help but feel excited at the prospect.

"Wait, how can you come with me?" I ask, curious about the logistics.

"Oh, right," she smiles sweetly. "If another witch or a familiar is in contact with a witch at the time she enters in trance, they can accompany her to Wispwood. Although… familiars usually stay behind in case something happens." Her gaze falls on Nyx again, who lazily opens one yellow eye but remains otherwise motionless.

"Speaking of which…" Curiosity gets the better of me as I remember her earlier question. "Why did you ask me if I'd eaten anything?"

Leonora leans back in her chair, her expression thoughtful. "It has to do with how magic works. If you eat something while in Wispwood, you can gain a special ability, such as making plants bloom."

"Interesting," I muse, wondering what other powers one could potentially acquire. Was the Wisp trying to grant me an ability?

"Now that we're talking about eating," Nyx interjects suddenly, opening both his yellow eyes and fixing them on Leonora. "I'm rather hungry. What does one have to do to get something to eat around here? Nearly dying?"

I stifle a laugh, watching as Leonora glances around the room, her gaze lingering on the remains of our interrupted tea party. The shattered cup and cold tea stand as a stark reminder of the chaos that had unfolded earlier.

"Perhaps we should all get something to eat," Leonora suggests, gracefully rising from her chair. "I'd baked a cake for your birthday, Eileen. But it ended on the floor, another casualty of today's disasters." She shakes her head as she looks back at me. "How about we go to town? You haven't had a chance to visit Witchwood yet."

"Sounds brilliant," I reply, feeling the weight of the day's events still lingering. "After everything that's happened, a slice of cheesecake would be nice."

Leonora laughs, and the sound is like wind chimes, soothing and putting me at ease. "I know the perfect place. Let's try to stay away from Triskelions for now, shall we?"

"Agreed," I say with a smirk.

"And you should stay away from people, looking like that," Nyx interjects teasingly from his spot on the couch.

Leonora glances down at her bloodstained gown, a look of surprise crossing her face. "Oh dear, I hadn't noticed."

Nyx laughs, and for the first time in hours, I feel at ease.

1