Chapter 12: Queen Of The Autumn Court
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I'm aware that this news may come as a shock to some of you," Leonora announces firmly, silencing the whispers. "I still can't believe how lucky we have been. Just this morning, before crossing into Witchwood, Eileen was brutally attacked by two warlocks."

The word "warlock" sends a shockwave through the room, and gasps echo around me. The women are clearly upset, some grabbing their companions as if to keep themselves from falling off their chairs. Astrid and Nicole stare at me in horror, not bothering to hide it. A shiver runs down my spine, and the hair on the back of my neck stands on end, recalling the horrifying man with his crackling hands reaching for my ankles...

"Luckily, Nyx was there, and after an agonising struggle, they managed to flee... but not before a warlock plunged the sharp blade of his knife into the body of my familiar," Leonora continues. A witch screams, impressed, and immediately covers her mouth with both hands. Other witches react similarly.

"Thanks to my niece, who's a brave young woman, Nyx is well. She rescued him herself and brought him, bloodied, here." It seems incredible that everything Leonora is relating happened just a few hours ago. Did I behave bravely? I didn't feel brave... Just scared. Images of the encounter with the warlock flash through my head: his limbs reaching out, his red dagger, his face above mine, his eyes indifferent, the hideous wound in his chest. It isn't something I want to think about again, ever.

"Enough dwelling on painful things," Leonora interrupts my thoughts, her gaze softening. "Tonight is not about fear. It's for celebrating the addition of a new member to our coven. Eileen is now part of our family, part of Witchwood. And today is also her birthday." She turns her attention back to the room. "Now then, Eileen," she calls out, her voice effortlessly commanding. "May I ask you to stand up?"

I'm receiving a lot of attention and it's unfamiliar territory for me. I feel both embarrassed and flattered. I can't just sit still; that would be disrespectful to Leonora. Taking a deep breath, I rise to my feet. A hushed murmuring begins among the witches, as they exchange words and glances in my direction. Some seem shocked, others touched, and a few even appear angered by my presence. My heart pounds in my chest like a trapped bird flapping its wings against a cage.

"Hello, everyone," I manage to croak out. The tremor in my voice bounces off the old stone walls.

There is a small smile on Leonora's face. "That's it... brave as ever." She turns again towards the women, lifting her hands in an expansive gesture. "I invite you all to join me in celebration," she announces, beckoning a waitress carrying a tray of glasses to approach. She takes one of the wine glasses and lifts it towards the crowd. "Let us make a toast," she says with a smile. The other witches around the room follow her lead, raising their glasses in unison.

"To Eileen," Leonora begins, her voice resonating in the hushed room. "On her nineteenth birthday, she stood as a symbol of bravery. Here's to her tenacity and kindness."

She then takes a sip from her glass, inclining her head slightly in my direction. The room echoes with the clinking of glasses and a chorus of "To Eileen!" A blush creeps up my cheeks as I raise my own glass, the cool crystal against my warm lips. I take a small sip of the wine, its rich flavour blossoming on my tongue.

With a deep bow, I pay my respects to Leonora. As I turn towards the audience and make a curtsy, a rush of heat spreads across my cheeks, betraying my nerves. With a sheepish smile, I take my seat once more, both humbled and exhilarated by my brief moment in the spotlight. Leonora's voice rings out again, thanking the crowd for their presence and support as she gracefully descends from the dais. The melodic strains of the band pour forth once more, adding to the festive atmosphere that surrounds us.

I try to steady my nerves by slowly breathing in and out. But it's hard to concentrate because Astrid and Nicole keep gaping at me, their eyes wide with shock and curiosity.

"So you're…" Astrid blurts out. "You're Diana Wildcherry's daughter?"

I nod, twisting the napkin in my hands. "Yes," I reply. "I am."

Nicole stammers, struggling to find words. "So… How…?"

"You have to let me interview you!" Astrid exclaims excitedly, undoubtedly brimming with questions she wants answered.

Before I can respond, Nyx arrives just in time to save me from the onslaught of inquiries, his dashing figure blocking Astrid and Nicole's view.

"Leonora wants you to meet the other Queens. Come!" He says assertively, beckoning me forward.

Grateful for the interruption, I rise from my seat and follow Nyx towards one of the large tables near the stage. The banner beside it catches my attention, boasting an impressive coat of arms. Three hares support a shield that displays a chestnut tree inside, while under the shield, a Latin motto reads: "Metis quod seminas".

As I approach the table, I do my best not to be overwhelmed by the importance of this moment. Meeting the Queens? Nyx said it so casually, but I've never even met a celebrity before! What will they think of me? Is there some kind of etiquette I should be aware of? I just hope I won't make a fool of myself. My palms are as sweaty as my back and I keep glancing around as if trying to find an escape route. Nyx's wicked smile glints in the dim light just ahead of me, his amusement at my distress evident. I'm glad someone is having fun.

Soon my eyes fixate on the woman engaged in conversation with Leonora. She's of a sturdy build, with wide hips, a bit older than my aunt. She wears a stunning dress in a deep red hue, adorned with gold and orange leaves on the bodice. Her rich mahogany-brown hair is pulled back, though some curls escape to gently graze her fair forehead and frame her features. A crown of intertwined branches rests atop her head, embellished with dry leaves in various shades of yellow, orange, and red.

My pulse quickens as Leonora spots me approaching and pauses her discussion.

"Ah, Eileen, there you are," Leonora says with a warm smile. "I'd like you to meet someone very special." She turns to the elegant witch beside her. "This is Joanna Hazel, Queen of the Autumn Court."

"Hello, it's lovely to meet you," Joanna says, extending her hand for me to shake. My nerves make my voice waver slightly as I respond, "S-same."

Her hand is warm and soft, contrasting with the coolness of the evening air. "Not many witches can claim to have survived an encounter with a warlock. You should be proud," she tells me, genuine concern lacing her words.

"Thank you," I reply, a knot forming in my stomach. "Although if it hadn't been for Nyx, I wouldn't have made it."

Nyx, ever charming, interjects with a grin, "Don't be modest – you carried me in your arms to safety."

A small laugh escapes me, and I'm grateful for Nyx's ability to lift the mood. Internally, I'm still struggling to process the whirlwind of events that led me here. To think, just this morning, I was fighting for my life against a warlock, and now I stand before royalty in Witchwood.

Joanna's eyes glimmer with admiration as she speaks, "Your bravery is truly remarkable." Leonora joins the conversation, her hand finding a place on my arm as she smiles with genuine happiness. "What else would you expect from my niece?" she remarks.

"Thank you," I whisper again while pushing the thought of the warlock's empty eyes away.

"That reminds me. Will we not see your daughter tonight, Joanna?" Leonora inquires.

"Unfortunately, she had to stay in the room – she fell ill again. My familiar is taking care of her," Joanna replies with a sigh.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Leonora says sympathetically.

I find myself chatting with the Autumn Queen for a while, our conversation light and cordial. She asks me what I think of Witchwood and whether I've tried witch's bread yet. Her daughter seems to be a frequent topic, and I can't help a pang of envy at their close relationship. Joanna's sympathy for my situation touches me – she understands that dealing with such a sudden change isn't easy. She reassures and welcomes me, even extending an invitation to visit the Autumn Palace one day. Joanna seems so kindhearted... I'm sure her daughter adores her.

As other witches from the Autumn Queen’s court introduce themselves, one in particular catches my attention. She's extremely skinny, hunchbacked, with hard, sharp features. Wearing a black gown that covers her almost completely, her face is ugly, with a pointed nose and thin lips that seem incapable of smiling. Yet, beautiful emerald green eyes shine on her face. Her familiar, a huge rat with bristly dark grey fur, clings to her side. The creature has a very long tail, intelligent eyes, and yellowish incisors that give him a menacing air. What a beast. The king of rats, if rats had kings… I wonder how he might look in his human form.

"Meet Gredel Aspen, my counsellor," Joanna introduces the hunchbacked witch. "Gredel has done a magnificent job protecting our crops from pests this year."

"Tha pleasure's mine," Gredel rasps, extending her cold, clammy hand to me. I suppress a shudder as I take it, trying not to let my discomfort show. "This is Kairos, my familiar." The rat bows with surprising grace for such a beastly creature.

"Congratulations on the promotion, by the way," Leonora tells Gredel, her blue eyes sparkling with genuine warmth.

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Gredel replies, nodding slightly in gratitude.

As the conversation continues, I can't help but feel an odd mix of awe and apprehension towards Gredel. She may be unsettling, but there's no denying her intelligence and devotion to her Queen.

"Come on, Eileen," Leonora says suddenly, interrupting my thoughts. "I'd like to introduce you to the Summer Court."

My heart skips a beat. So I'm finally going to meet Freya. Nervous energy courses through me as we approach the table adorned with Summer's banner. I pause to take in the majestic shield framed by a mighty dragon with an oak tree at its centre. The motto reads, “Potestas Solis”. That's epic... In Spring, we only have two kittens.

"Let's go," Leonora urges gently, placing her hand on my shoulder and guiding me forward.

I brace myself for what lies ahead. But nothing could have prepared me for my unfortunate encounter with the cruel, merciless Queen of Summer.

1