Chapter 18 The Night Of The Fairy Attack
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As magical spheres of light illuminate Leonora, we find ourselves immersed in the beautiful mini forest that seems to have sprung up around the Spring Queen in an instant. The sweet scent of blossoms fills the air, and my eyes are drawn to the stage which has been transformed into a stunning landscape. A witch from the orchestra strikes a deep note on her double bass, capturing the attention of everyone in the room.

"Welcome again, dear witches," Leonora says, her melodious voice carrying to the farthest corners. "Tonight's performance was penned by Muriel Yew, princess of the Winter Court." She speaks with such grace that it's not even boring when she talks a bit about the play that we are about to witness and starts citing the sources Muriel used for documentation. I glance over at the princess, who whispers excitedly, "She memorised them!"

Once Leonora finishes speaking, she majestically descends from the stage and takes a seat beside me, Nyx following close behind. She smiles at me and Muriel, who nods in approval. My heart swells with pride for my aunt; she truly is a remarkable woman.

The lights fade out, leaving only the stage illuminated. It truly resembles a forest clearing now, with four gorgeous witches gathered together, dressed in Celtic-style garb. They are all members of the same Coven and their strong bond is evident in their interactions. As my gaze falls upon the youngest, a stunning blonde named Eislyn Wildcherry, Nyx leans in and whispers, "That's your ancestor."

 "So that's the founder of the Spring Court?" Eislyn, my ancestor, is portrayed as a sweet, innocent young witch. She's surrounded by her sisters in magic – Dana Hazel, Rianne Oak, and Ciara Yew. Each one of them has their own distinct personality, and they care deeply for one another.

"Was she really like that?" I wonder to myself, thinking of how Eislyn must have been in real life. Dana Hazel, the founder of Autumn, fusses over everyone like a mother hen, her main concern being whether they've eaten enough. I chuckle, finding her endearing despite her constant nagging.

Rianne Oak, the Summer founder, is a force to be reckoned with. The redhead actress playing her is stunning and fierce; she's the epitome of a warrior, unafraid to face any challenge to defend her sisters. The actress is very talented and plays a great role.

Lastly, there's Ciara Yew, the Winter founder, a slim witch with black hair and very pale skin. She's reserved and wise beyond her years, with an ethereal beauty that makes her stand out even among these remarkable witches. I catch Muriel's eye for a moment, noticing the pride that beams from her gaze as she watches the portrayal of her ancestor.

The play continues, telling the story of how these four powerful witches were mistreated by their village, despite using their magic to heal and help with crops. They're forced into seclusion, hiding away from the cruelty of those who should have been grateful for their aid.

As I watch, transfixed by the tale, I suddenly sense Muriel's excitement beside me. "She came!" she whispers, her voice barely audible.

"Who?" I ask, curious to know who could have caused such a reaction.

"My mum," Muriel replies, eyes wide with wonder. "The Winter Queen."

I strain my neck, trying to catch a glimpse of the elusive royal among the milling witches near the back of the room. But it's no use – there are simply too many people standing, blocking my view. With a frustrated sigh, I return my attention to the play, determined not to miss it.

The stage comes to life with the scene of Eislyn's kidnapping, and I clench my fists in anticipation as the warriors drag her away from her sisters. Rianne Oak fiercely leads the charge, her red hair a fiery beacon as she and the other founders engage in battle with the Celtic warriors to save their sister. I don't know what kind of magic they might be using, but the choreography is, I must admit, quite thrilling.

As they manage to rescue Eislyn and regroup, Ciara Yew proposes an idea to escape the torment of the villagers. I lean forward in my seat, eager. Even though I'll never admit it to Muriel, I'm learning quite a lot about Witchwood. The four founders travel to the realm of the Wisps, seeking the aid of a being known only as "The Wise One" – a mysterious Wisp of immense power. On stage, it was simply represented as a gleaming eye in the darkness and a deep, raspy voice. In exchange for their devotion and loyalty, this Wisp bestows upon them the ability to conjure up Witchwood, a sanctuary for witches to reside in without fear or persecution.

And that marks the end of the play. I can't help but smile as the actresses embrace one another on stage, beaming with joy. But then, without warning, one of them screams, her eyes wide with horror as she stares at the ceiling.

The other actresses exchange perplexed looks, one even reaching out to touch her friend on the shoulder and whispering, "What are you doing?" Another actress glances upwards and lets out a high-pitched scream, quickly covering her mouth with one hand as she points at the chandelier above them with the other.

Confusion ripples through the room, and everyone starts to whisper and crane their necks to see what could have caused such a reaction. "What is it?" I mutter, trying to follow her gaze.

"There's something in the chandelier!" The witch screams, her voice echoing through the room. Everyone turns to her, startled by her sudden outburst.

The room erupts into a frenzied chaos as witches talk aloud in bewilderment, their voices blending into a deafening cacophony. The air is filled with the sound of creaking chairs being dragged across the floor. Some of the witches stand up and so do I, my eyes narrowing as I fixate them on the golden chandelier above.

At first, I think I'm seeing bats. But as my eyes focus, I realise these creatures aren't bats at all – they look more like... insects! Huge. Frickin. Insects. There are five of them, varying in size from fifteen to maybe twenty inches. Three of those creatures possess blood-red wings with black spots, as ladybugs do, but their squat, dark bodies are twisted and malformed, with four stumpy legs and two elongated limbs that end in tiny misshapen hands.

Their heads were bulbous and grotesque, adorned with twitching antennae and simulating the faces of young girls, twisted into a horrifying parody of humanity. But it was their large, insect-like eyes that turned my stomach. The other two look like some unholy union of human and firefly. Their wings are translucent and their bulbous, long abdomens pulsate with an eerie green glow.

"What the hell are those creatures?" I gasp, a mix of fascination and dread taking hold of me.

"Fairies!!" a hysterical witch yells, and as if on cue, everyone loses their fucking minds. Panic surges through the ballroom like a tidal wave, witches pushing and shoving each other in a frantic attempt to escape. The fairies swoop and dive, causing the chandelier to wobble precariously before crashing to the ground with a deafening bang. Fortunately, the witches below were able to move out of the way in time.

In a sudden burst of movement, an influx of fairies bursts out of the windows and I spot a centipede-like fairy scurrying across the floor. The scene becomes utter chaos as the fairies dart around the room, flying towards the witches and circling them. The women let out piercing screams as they head towards the exit, knocking over chairs and pushing anyone who stands in their way.

I glance around, breathless, not knowing what to do.

"Leonora!" I shout, trying to make myself heard above the chaos. My aunt is already on stage, her arms waving wildly as she tries to restore order. It's useless – the room is a racket of howls and shouts and furniture falling, and it seems every witch for herself. What should I do? Being so close to the stage, it's a long way to the exit.

"What's going on?" I ask Muriel, straining my voice. "Why are they acting like this?"

"Don't you know anything?" Muriel replies, her face even paler than before. "Fairies eat witches."

My stomach clenches at the thought, and I imagine one of those grotesque creatures sinking its teeth into my flesh. Nyx assured me it wasn't a big deal, that they were simply feeding on witch-trees, not that they devour witches alive! Speaking of the devil, I turn to my left in search of Nyx... But he's nowhere to be found. I glance up rapidly. The fairies continue to terrorise the room. I spin around once more, hoping to engage with Muriel, but in the madness, the Winter Princess has vanished, swallowed up by the crowd.

"Shit, where is Nyx when you need him?" I mutter to myself, my heart pounding in my chest. I try to move but it's impossible. Witches jostle and shove past me, their faces twisted with panic. This is a nightmare.

"Were you talking about me?" A deep voice whispers suddenly in my ear, tickling the skin of my neck. "Nice things, I hope."

Nyx is just beside me, his tall and muscular frame pressed against my body protectively from behind.

"Where the hell were you?" I scream.

He only chuckles in response. "I missed you too," he purrs, caressing my cheeks with his face in a gesture that is way too feline, way too intimate to not make me shudder. I'll have to explain it's not okay to do that unless he's in cat form.

Then, he moves around me and faces the exit, his movements agile and elegant. "I'll keep you safe," he promises. "Follow me!" He extends a hand towards me, ready to lead the way. I'm about to take it when I'm suddenly shoved aside by panicked witches, losing sight of him in the chaos. So many peaked hats block my vision; it's impossible to find anyone. "To the left!" I hear Nyx shout somewhere. "Go to your left!"

I try to follow his directions, but I continue to stumble and struggle against the throng. Fairies swoop down, attacking witches who desperately shake them off with the help of other witches and their familiars. The cry of a falcon echoes through the room, drawing my attention upwards. Romina's familiar, the peregrine falcon, is hunting the fairies. But what's truly incredible is that Romina herself is floating in mid-air, wielding a net like some sort of supernatural huntress.

"Fairy Brigade, charge ahead!" Romina yells, casting her net with expert precision. It snags two fairies, bringing them crashing to the ground near me. More witches materialise, dressed in green jumpsuits, throwing nets and battling the fairies. Freya, the Summer Queen, catches my eye among them. She wears a massive grin, clearly enjoying the thrill of the fight. She leaps onto a table and nimbly climbs up to a window, approaching a fairy with cat-like grace.

Freya extends her hand towards the fairy, and her eyes begin to emit an intense light that's nearly blinding. A flash of light shoots from her hand, knocking out the fairy in an instant. Laughing, she moves on to her next target. "Wow," I breathe, watching her in awe. I immediately regret thinking that Freya is an excellent warrior.

"Watch out, Eileen!" Nyx calls from the distance, and I halt in my tracks. A split-second later, two fairies crash to the ground beside me, tangled in one of Romina's nets. As they struggle to free themselves, one of them spits a blackish acid onto the net, melting it away. My heart races as I find myself face-to-face with the winged creatures that look like distorted, monstrous versions of little girls.

One of them notices me, its antennae twitching, and takes a few steps forward. Bloody hell, what do I do now? Just as panic begins to set in, a massive wildcat pounces on the advancing fairy, giving me the chance to step to the side, only to be swept away by the crowd once again.

"Shit! The exit..." I mutter to myself, weaving my way through the chaotic room. If only I could get past the witch blocking my path with her enormous ball gown... In desperation, I decide to slide under her skirt, finally emerging with a clear view of the door.

But just as relief washes over me, I spot something else: Nicole Cedar, Romina's daughter, cowering on the floor next to a table. Her face is twisted with terror, sweat pouring down her forehead as she stares at the hideous fairy looming over her. Its slimy, worm-like body and gaping tooth-filled mouth make my own stomach churn. In an instant, the fairy lunges for Nicole's leg, sinking its teeth into her flesh. She lets out a gut-wrenching scream.

I glance at Nicole, then back to the open path to the exit. I've only just met her, and she hasn't even been nice to me. But still... I take a deep breath and make my decision.

"Oi, you!" I yell as I sprint towards the worm-fairy. With a swift kick to its side, I send it flying away from Nicole. The creature lets out an inhuman wail and turns on me in fury. "Shit!" I exclaim, suddenly realising what I've done.

Just as the fairy is about to jump at me, the wildcat from earlier leaps in front of it, biting down hard. The creature scrambles, trying to shake off the cat's grip. I quickly approach Nicole, who's still in shock, and give her a firm shake. "Come on, we have to go!"

She can barely move, so I grab her by the arm and practically drag her along. But it's too late – a pair of fairies position themselves right in the door frame, blocking our exit. As soon as Nicole sees them, she backs away in horror.

"Fuck," I mutter under my breath as the air fills with a sweet, intense smell, like lavender. What's happening now...?

1