Chapter One
67 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

How to describe the city of Arkham? Well, for one, it looks old. I mean, like, you expect someplace called Arkham to look like. They really ran with the Lovecraft theme, didn't they? And while we're at it, do you know how weird it is to pass by so many Extraterrestrials? I'm pretty sure I saw an inter-species couple, a man holding hands, or, I guess stalks(?) with an Elder Thing. Quite a happy couple as well.

As I walked down the streets, I would occasionally see a 3D billboard that showed some famous celebrities. Like actress Shara Goteia, who is well known for having a bunch of children. It might just be me, but she looks really perfect. It's too perfect if that makes sense.

Then another billboard showing the famous Nyla. Singer, actress, model, she has done pretty much all of it.

Then there is the world-famous scientist, Charles Mendel. Famous for revolutionizing and creating the Null Shields, which basically make the reality-warping abilities of the Outer Gods and Great Old Ones null.

I passed by another billboard. This one was of the world-famous Japanese Idol group Hoshi Saisei no Kodai-sha. It showed the twins, Chiasa Sutābōn and Aoi Sutābōn standing back to back in cool poses. Aoi was wearing his signature dress with his beautiful face and his glowing pink highlights in his long hair. And Chiasa wearing the rather cool outfit, glowing blue highlights in her hair. Her bangs on one side of her handsome face.

As I passed by the window of a fashion store, some outfits that were on display came from the world-renowned Milia Vyat. I side-eyed the price, eyes opening wide. $100,000?! Who would be crazy to buy that?

In the shadows of an alleyway, there was a bunch of hooded, shady people trading pictures with each other. I had caught a glimpse, and it was some rather risqué photos of Nyla modeling. That made these hooded people Cultists. More specifically, members of the Cult of Chaos, or Cult of Crawling Chaos, I can't really remember.

Finally, I came to the hotel. And to say that it was grandiose is an understatement. The pavement was made from smooth green stone, and the walls surrounding the hotel were of a mysterious black color. And the hotel looks absolutely huge. I sigh, grabbing my suitcase and entering the lobby. Inside, I was greeted by a maid. A maid that was very eerie.

There was some kind of alien intelligence beneath her eyes. She didn't blink until 10 seconds later. "We welcome the guest to Dreamlands Hotel. Do you have a reservation?" She asked, her voice followed by other voices. It also had a sort of buzzing noise. I was taken aback for a minute before clearing my throat.

"I'm here for the job interview. I saw a hiring ad," I tell her. She pauses, taking 30 seconds this time to blink.

"Really, we are glad for this. Follow us to the office of Sir Arthur if you would." She said. And now I was following her through strange shifting hallways and disturbing rooms. Finally, we come to a large double door. Carved in the middle is the face of an octopus. The maid knocked on the door, and a deep, ominous, rumbling voice echoed.

"Yes, who is it?" The maid bowed her head, and I swear she hasn't blinked since that 20-second blink before.

"We have somebody who wants to be hired. Permission to let them enter Sir Arthur?" The maid questioned with a respectful tone.

"Human or non-Human?" The voice asked.

"Human, should we send her away?" The maid turned her dead eyes to me.

"No, I'm just wondering if I should be in my true form or my other form." The voice paused before it morphed. "Alright, send her in." A now sonorous voice told the maid. The maid opened the door, bowing as I headed in. Then she shut it.

To say this room was strange would be an understatement. On the side of the room, water flowed upward. And then there was a man with blond, slicked-back hair. His suit was rather expensive looking, a crisp white. The desk he sat at was large and floating. Yes, floating. And his chair looked to be almost like a throne made of some tendrils. Behind him was a large window, but it wasn't of the outside. No, it was of a black abyss with the only light from the buildings of the same green stone the pavement was made from. The city had lights shining into the abyss and looked like an underwater Las Vegas. Not to mention, the smell was of the sea, and the air felt balmy.

"Please have a seat, Miss..." He waited for me to respond.

"Sofia, Sofia Drake, I'm here for the interview to be a maid at the Dreamlands Hotel." I told him. I took a seat across from him. He nodded his head.

"Yes, and do you have any experience dealing with Cosmic Beings, Extraterrestrials, or Non-defined Beings?" He asked. I shook my head, opening my mouth to answer.

"No, since I was born, I've had Eldritch-Induced Amnesia." I tell him truthfully. Since he was going to probably be my boss in the future. He hmms, thinking to himself for a minute.

"Do you have any discrimination against the mentioned beings?" He was being rather patient as I shifted through my memories.

"Not really. From what I can remember, they've generally been pleasant to me. So, I'm pleasant to them." Arthur nods again.

"Very good. We're almost done. Now, if you could please read over and sign this contract." He hands me a piece of aging paper. I read it over. It was the normal legal terms that one would have. But also some interesting ones.

The Employee understands and agrees that, given the unique nature of Dreamlands Hotel, she may encounter interdimensional gateways, be transported to distant planets, or face hazards such as Vorith-X'ulryn. The Employee acknowledges that the Company shall not be held responsible for any harm, loss, or unusual occurrence that arises from the cosmic and Lovecraftian nature of the Dreamlands Hotel. Then as well as the Employee agrees not to hold the Company liable for damages or injuries caused by cosmic entities, paparazzi Cultists, or any other supernatural phenomena.

Since when has the Cosmic legal department been this good? I thought Disney had the best lawyers. But since I had to pay off my debt, I had to take the job. There was no other choice. Good job me, you have a job, but you're going to be dealing with the weirdest clientele. Still, I sign it, and Arthur takes the paper away from me. He looks it over and nods to himself.

"Then Miss. Drake, here's to a fruitful relationship. Aelisa can show you to the room you'll be staying at." He pauses then remembers something. "Have you ever had interdimensional travel? For first-timers, it can lead to some sickness."

"Nope, I've never done so from what I can remember." I answer truthfully. He nods, a tentacle coming up from the floor hands me a bottle of anti-nausea pills. The image shows the charming and handsome Elder God, Tsukiyomi. The caption says, 'Tired of Interdimensional Sickness? Well, now you don't have to worry about Intracure.'

With that, the door opened. A tall woman with bulging muscles appears. Her eyes glowed a jade green. They sparkled with mischievous thoughts. And her short purple hair was incredibly wild. "New employee Arthur?" The woman asked, voice deep. She smiled at my new boss.

"Indeed, could you show her through the interdimensional stairway. And also prepare her for that one guest. You know how Nyla gets." He said. He sighs, seeming to remember a past incident.

"Right away, boss! Just leave it to your lovely Shoggoth security guard. Miss. Drake, if you would follow me." I can't help but make a face at that. Lovely Shoggoth?! Aren't they basically slimes? Though I can't complain, I hadn't even thought of what I would do without any cash. There is no way I could afford a motel or hotel. Not to mention, I have no idea how I would afford being able to get food.

More importantly, Aelisa was leading me down some pretty creepy and ominous hallways before we came to a looming black door. It was large and nebulous, giving off a faint chill that made my hair stand up on end. The "lovely" Shoggoth reaches for the door, opening it to reveal a stairway surrounded by the cosmos. I just stare blankly at it in disbelief.

"Well, come along, Human, who is going to be a maid. You might as well get used to the weirdness while you can." The Shoggoth told me, encouragingly? I take a deep breath. Then, I step forward onto the stairs. Instantly, I was hit by a feeling of weightlessness even though my feet were still on the ground. Then came the nausea that Arthur talked about. It hit me like I was on a fishing boat in turbulent waters. I was lucky that Aelisa had grabbed hold of me. Otherwise, I would have gone off the edge into the fathomless void of blackness. I quickly shoved one of the pills Arthur had given me.

If you're wondering what it tastes like. Fish, fish, and octopus. I think I want to vomit right now, but I hold back. Ten seconds later, the nausea vanished. "Phew, Arthur wasn't kidding." I comment casually.

"I still have no idea how you Humans can deal with your fleshy spongy bodies." Aelisa tells me. Hold up, that came from a Shoggoth, the equivalent of a slime or amoeba. She really has no room to talk.

As we walk, we pass by multiple other stairways, and I can see some people walking upside down above my head or sideways. It was really strange. But finally, we came to our destination. A large wooden door, the type you would find in a traditional Asian household. She slides the door open.

Inside it was rather cozy and really lovely. There was a stairway that went upstairs. And the entire room was gothic in nature. It would have been perfect if not for the fact that multiple eyes turned to look at me. They belonged to a bunch of maids. Their heads shimmered a multitude of colors as they seemed to communicate with one another.

"Oh, I should have mentioned you'll be staying on Yuggoth." Aelisa smiles grin stretched so unnaturally wide. "Alright, girls, treat the newest maid well. That means no showing the Estoic Grimoire that will drive a Human to insanity, no showing her the wonders of Yuggothian reproduction, I'm sure she doesn't want to be a spore host, and sure as hell don't do any hazing." She commanded. The maids' heads shimmered faster, and a chattering noise like a thousand crickets drowned out my thoughts. The entire time, they didn't blink.

"Yes, Aelisa. We will treat the newcomer with respect and show her the bountiful hospitality of the Mi-go and Yuggoth." The maids say at the same time. Aelisa nodded, smiling wide.

"Well, go get acquainted with your fellow maids. You'll be working together after all." With those words, Aelisa departed, leaving me with the hundred of Mi-go Maids staring at me.

Dammit!

Thus , it was my introduction to the craziness of the Cosmic Horror that had become so mundane. How I began working at the Dreamlands Hotel. And also how I became acquainted with a bunch of the Mi-gos on Yuggoth.

1