Chapter 8: Along The Highroad Part 3
709 1 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Who is your favorite character so far?
  • Bel Crowett (Serpico) Votes: 30 69.8%
  • Lydia Redgrave Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Marquis Redgrave Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ceres Aldaris Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Captain Kreuger Votes: 4 9.3%
Total voters: 43

The crisp jolt of icy water being splashed on my face jolted me awake with a gasp, and in less than an instant, instant, the memories of everything that occurred flooded back to me. 

The carriage attack, Masters dazzling spell casting and then my stupidity as in a moment of panic, I resorted to my instincts and used one of those wretched techniques and now my body is paying the price. 

My stomach is churning and I can feel the bile building in the back of my throat. My muscles cramp and ache and my mouth feels drier than any desert.   

This was the cost the Serpico clan dolls out to those who dare use their techniques are losing the favor… … Well, I suppose none of that matters. I've got no one to blame but myself,, and bitching won’t make me feel any better.  

‘Praise the mother, you're finally awake,’ 

‘Master?’ I said groggily, raising to a sitting position while cradling my throbbing head in my hands

‘Here, drink this'

Master produced a vial containing a shimmering jade liquid and popped the lid before dropping it gently in my hands. 

  I knew immediately what it was. This. This was a Marigold potion, an alchemical brew that mends minor afflictions and sickness.    

Alchemy is yet another subject that they only allow those with noble blood to study. Commoners. Commoners can purchase potions but are prohibited from learning the ingredients or brewing any themselves.    

I guess that’s just another way to ensure that the lowly commoners continue to serve their superiors with unthinking obedience. 

I nodded before downing the potion in one big gulp, realizing that it was far easier to play along and do as my master wished than reject her offering and open the window to any undesirable queries.  

‘Thank you, master'

‘No need to thank me. It’s only natural that a member of the Redgrave family would look after their servants,’   

‘If only every noble house held such kind ideals towards those who serve under ’ ’ I mused while returning the empty vial to my master. 

‘How long was I out for?’ 

‘Long enough to lower my impression of you as a maid'  Lydia scolded, flicking my forehead.  

Dusting herself off, my master sat beside me as watching the sun sink lower and lower, disappearing over the horizon.    

‘Care to explain what all that was about?’  

‘I’d rather not, if that’s alright with you'  

‘I could just order you to tell'

‘You could and I’d tell you, but I’d really prefer if we could let the subject rest,’ 

'I'll bend to the knee to you this time just don't get used to it Bel' 

'Understood!  Thank you Master'  

‘I want you to remember something important Bel so listen up,  I shall not be repeating myself''

'My ears and eyes at full attention,  Master'  

You're a servant Bel,  not a thrall,  though they share certain similarities . They are not the same,  should you find my orders to be derelict, then I expect you to stand up to me. You’d be shaming the Redgrave name if you didn’t.’ 

‘Oh, my, what type of derelict tasks would you have me preform, Master?’ 

‘Down girl!  It was purely hypothetical don't go getting wild ideals inside that thick little skull of yours' 

‘No Promises,’ I said, trying to conceal my flushed cheeks.  

‘At any rate, we need to move. The High Road isn’t safe at night even for people like us,’  

Master was right. If we don’t find somewhere to camp off the main road, then goblins will be the least of our concerns. 

There are nightmares that come to life in the dark, shadows that haunt the road, shadows that are ever hungry, ever on the lookout for unwary prey to feast upon. 

'But before that we should tend to these poor unfortunate men,  they were loyal to our House and deserve a proper burial' 

'I'll start digging, could you grab some flowers please Master?'

'I'll see what I can find,  Now get to work Bel'  

20