Departing
136 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once they were in the Justice Building, the atmosphere turned awkward. Peacekeepers were surrounding them from all around, Katniss was blanking out and Draco simply decided to stay quiet. Effie was the one who remained in a good mood. "Now, my treasured tributes, you can go say goodbye to your dear friends and family. Let's meet back here in ten minutes."

Four Peacekeepers surrounded each of them, as Draco was urged to go. Katniss didn't hesitate, but Draco stopped in his tracks, turning to Effie. "I don't have anyone to say goodbye to. Can I just stay here?" Draco asked, looking around. He leaned against a wall. He liked the atmosphere here.

"Oh, you poor thing. Of course, you can do whatever you want," Effie stated, then looked around, urging a few Peacekeepers to come with her. "Unfortunately, I have to run an errand, so I will leave you with my fellow Peacekeepers."

With that, Effie was gone, promptly moving somewhere away. Sighing, Draco looked around, seeing the four Peacekeepers staying with him. They were unmoving, silent, and soulless. Taking in the silence, Draco grinned. 

"You are not the talkable type, are you guys?" Draco asked, turning to stare at each of them. Unfortunately, Draco couldn't see their eyes through their helmets. "I heard rumors that for a male to become a Peacekeeper, he had cut off his dick. Is that true?"

Even after saying this, Draco heard nothing from them, not even a change in their demeanor. "By the way, why are your costumes white? I mean, I understand that's the color President Snow likes the most, but it's simply not intimating, like at all. I mean, black or red would do much better."

"It's probably also quite an ordeal to wash," Draco mumbled, smiling. This was fun. It felt like those times in childhood when he was always trying to make a King's Guard laugh. "You guys are really committed to your job. I wouldn't be able to always act like a robot."

Suddenly, Draco took a step toward one Peacekeeper, extending his hand as if he would punch him. The Peacekeeper flinched and Draco halted his fist before it connected. That Peacekeeper lifted his weapon, aiming it at Draco, his deep voice coming from beneath the helmet. "What is the meaning of this, tribute?!"

"Sorry, I just wanted to make sure all of you are human beings." Draco lifted his hands in defeat, glancing around and seeing all four Peacekeepers aiming their guns at him. 

The Peacekeeper who flinched continued, irritation leaking out from his voice. "If you try doing something like that again, I will-"

"You will what?" Draco interrupted him, his voice deadly. "I know the rules well, my friend. You can't harm me in any way. From the moment I volunteered, I became higher in status than any of you. So, stop acting all mighty and face the reality that you are mere slaves. It's irritating."

There was a silence afterward and Draco smiled, taking a seat on the ground. "Now, please, could you stop looming over me like you are grim reapers? I want to have some time alone, so go beat up a civilian or something. And, no, I won't run away. Why would I? I volunteered for this."

A moment later, all four Peacekeepers walked away from him, one of them more rigidly than the others. They took their stance in another room, still more than enough distance to act in case something happened. Smiling, Draco leaned on his back, closing his eyes. He didn't get enough sleep last night, so he figured taking a brief nap.

-

Katniss wiped the tears streaming down her cheeks. Everything happened so fast. The last moments with her family and Gale felt even shorter, for the Peacekeepers took her in barely a few minutes. When she left the building, she was forced into a car. 

Effie was already sitting there, in the backseat, together with a yawning Draco. The driver was a Peacekeeper. As soon as he was seated, the car moved. Effie talked about something, never stopping, but Katniss barely heard anything but the ringing in her ears. On the other hand, Draco was holding the conversation with Effie, smiling and nodding from time to time.

Before they even knew it, they were being escorted from the car and onto a huge, dark train. Katniss hesitated for a moment, but a Peacekeeper immediately pushed her from behind. Draco walked forth, marveling at the peculiarity of the interior.

Everything looked exquisite. Ranging from the material utilized to create the tables to the food - everything was like a piece of art. 

Effie smiled at their reaction. "I did tell you that it was going to be like nothing you have ever experienced in District 12."

Draco commented. "Well, I guess you were right then." Once he said that, Draco walked forward, grabbed a piece of chocolate from the table, and threw it into his mouth. "Not bad. Though, I am not really a fan of the dark ones."

"Anyway." Draco continued walking, waving his hand. "I am going to explore the train a bit. Find me if you need something important to say."

"Wait, you can't just go-" Effie wanted to stop him, but her heels forced her to halt. She didn't want to fall down and make a fool of herself. Draco left for the other room. "I guess you can, then."

"He is pretty strange, isn't he?" Effie asked, turning to Katniss.

Katniss shrugged. "How would a normal person react to this situation?"

Once Draco was behind the door, he exploded into action. He needed to check whether any of the people here were Mysthrals. After all, Draco didn't really want to be on a speeding train with a Mysthral as the pilot.

Along his way towards the end of the train, Draco passed various rooms, including bathrooms, living quarters, saunas, and other luxurious but unnecessary stuff. Before even knowing it, Draco was standing at the entrance to the pilot cabin.

He knocked on the door and opened it, feeling tens of eyes falling onto him. A person stood up and closed the door immediately, forcing Draco to take a step away. He smiled. They were definitely in a 5-meter radius. None of them were infected.

'Alright, now, for the last meal. Haymitch.' Draco thought, going back the way he had come here. At this point, the train had already started, and they were promptly speeding towards the Capitol. Because Haymitch was one of his favorite characters in Hunger Games, Draco hoped that he wasn't infected as it would make things very complicated.

However, no matter where he looked, Draco couldn't find the man. Eventually, he just concluded that Haymitch would show up at some point himself. Walking back, Draco opened the door and was greeted by a pleasant surprise. He was already here. Katniss, Effie, and Haymitch - all three of them were sitting around a table, dining. They lifted their gaze to see Draco.

Haymitch lifted his glass of whisky. "Our star boy is here. Come on, sit with us. I have been waiting to talk with you ever since you volunteered."

Draco nodded, walking up to the table and taking a seat near Katniss. "I believe you are our mentor, right?" Draco asked, staring deeply into Haymitch's eyes. He waited for a few seconds, and no screen appeared.

"That's right, Draco." Effie lifted her glass of champagne as well. "We were doing a little celebration, but, anyway, how was your exploration? Seen anything good?"

"The train is magnificent." Draco spared a glance her way, then concentrated back on Haymitch. "Why did you want to talk to me?"

"Oh, I was just saying to Katniss that overconfident and arrogant people are usually the ones who die first in the Hunger Games," Haymitch said, taking another sip from his glass. "Especially when they don't have the skills to back up their words. Like, come on, you want to win?"

"And why do you think that I don't have the skills to back up my words, my supportive mentor Haymitch?" Draco asked, taking a fork from the table. "Does your reasoning come from the fact that I am from District 12? Do you imply that our people are somehow lesser than those from other Districts?"

"You have a sharp tongue, I will give you that." Haymitch grinned, sparing a glance Katniss's way, before returning his gaze back to Draco. "Yes, Draco Ashvale, that's exactly what I imply. Those kids were taught how to slaughter, taught how to survive. On the other hand, people in our District starve and work in mines."

"Perhaps we should change the topic?" Effie asked, feeling the intense atmosphere.

Ignoring her, Draco bit back. "Why does it matter? Every human still bleeds the same color."

Haymitch laughed. "You still don't understand, Draco. This is not a game. Will you be able to keep the same attitude once you are in the ring, seeing people turn into animals and start killing each other?"

"You don't know anything about me, Haymitch. That's the problem. Besides, your judgment is clouded by alcohol." Draco stated, sticking his fork into a piece of steak. "What are you trying to achieve with this talk? Do you want to make me feel regret for the choice I have made? Or maybe you want me to be scared of the games so that I become timid like all the previous participants?"

"No, I just wa-" 

"No, Haymitch, you are just mad." Draco took a bit of the steak. "Mad at the fact that I am not scared....because you believe that I should be. However," Draco took a knife, sticking it into the blood steak. "I am not. So deal with it."

Saying that, Draco stood up, facing the group. "I am going to take a nap, so wake me up whenever there is something actually important being discussed. Thanks for the meal." 

Then he left, leaving a lingering silence. Haymitch blanked out for a few seconds, then lifted the glass back to his lips and drank it. "Well, he is definitely different from all the participants I have ever seen. Don't you agree, Effie?"

Effie nodded, uncomfortably shifting in her seat. Katniss stood up as well. "I will also excuse myself." Then she left, following after Draco. Effie mumbled something indescribable and punched Haymitch on the shoulder.

Katniss walked through the train, promptly finding her sleeping chambers. She lingered for a few seconds, then found the courage to knock on Draco's door. Slowly, the door opened, revealing Draco standing on the other side. "I knew you would come."

Smiling, Draco pushed the door open, urging her to come inside. There was an enormous bed placed against the furthest wall. On the left, there were two cotton chairs facing the window. Draco unceremoniously took a seat on one of them, crossing his legs. Katniss sat on the other one.

There was silence between them as they both stared through the window at the constantly changing scenery. There were green trees everywhere, steep mountains in the distance, and the sky had little to no clouds. A beautiful weather...it would be if they wouldn't be going to Hunger Games.

"Did..." Katniss broke the silence, her hands moving one against another. "Did you volunteer because of me?"

"What do you mean?" Draco raised an eyebrow. "If you are talking about that incident in the forest, then no, I didn't volunteer because of that. My choice has nothing to do with you."

"Oh," Katniss sighed in relief. "I have been thinking that you volunteered because you were scared of Peacekeepers finding out about that...incident. It's good to know that it wasn't because you saved me."

Draco nodded, not answering, letting the silence sink in. "Well, at the very least, now that you became a tribute, everything that worried you doesn't matter anymore."

"That's true." Katniss nodded, glancing at her own hands. She touched the bruises on it, remembering the freeing feeling of hunting in the woods. She turned towards Draco, seeing his black pupils reflecting the passing scenery. "Did...did you actually mean what you said? You want to win the Hunger Games?"

"I do have such intentions, Katniss." Draco shrugged. "Why do you ask?"

"I don't know. I guess you just don't strike me as someone cocky." Katniss also shrugged, leaning against her chair. "I just don't really understand how you can be so confident when you don't even know who is going to be your opponents."

"I said I do have such intentions, but that's not the end of the story." Draco corrected, smiling. "Katniss, the sooner you realize that the game began from the moment you volunteered, the better."

"What do you mean?"

"Everything you do from now, all of your secrets and actions, are going to be televised for the entire world to see," Draco stated, staring at the mountain in the distance. "And if people are going to see you as entertaining, then they will sponsor and cheer for you during the games. You could get water, food, weapons, and meds - everything that could help you stay alive."

"I still don't understand," Katniss answered after a few instances. "How does you being arrogant count as entertaining? Personally, no offense, I wouldn't sponsor someone like you."

Draco smiled. "Me neither, honestly, but Capitol people are different. They barely have any knowledge regarding the life in districts. However, they do know one thing - that 12th District is a shithole. Yet, one tribute from there acts not as he should. He acts arrogant and strong. That would be something different. Certainly, they would be interested in that, no?"

Katniss thought for a moment. "Yes, they would. Definitely." Katniss stared at Draco. "You created such a plan, just in order to receive those sponsors? Isn't that going overboard?"

Draco shrugged. "I am not arrogant, Katniss. I would say I am the opposite of that. I always need to have a plan. Otherwise, I am not sure how to proceed. And I want to take all the advantages I can, whilst I am at it."

'Especially, when I don't know who the remaining three Mysthrals are. What if all three of them gang up on me during the games? I would definitely need food and water. Hence, I will do whatever acting I need to do.' Draco concluded in his brain.

'He thought of all of that before even volunteering? Is there something wrong with his brain, or am I just dumb?' Katniss questioned herself, sighing. 'Perhaps he actually has a chance of winning this game then.'

Katniss stood up. "Thanks, Draco, you cleared up a lot of things on my mind." Then she scowled a bit. "Though how do you know all of this stuff?"

"My mother lived in the Capitol before moving to the District 12," Draco lied without hiccups. "She told me a lot of stories about the life there, especially during the games."

Remembering that Draco didn't say goodbye to anyone back in the District, Katniss slightly lowered her eyes. "I am sorry for asking."

"It's all good." Draco swiped his hand like it was nothing. "If you need anything or have some lingering questions, you can come to me anytime." Then he hesitated. "Actually, not anytime. I am a fan of having undisturbed sleep."

Katniss smiled for the first time, showing her teeth. "I will take that into account, Draco. Thank you." She turned to leave, but Draco stopped her. "And try to relax, Katniss. I know this must be hard on you, but that's just how life goes. It's unpredictable, right?"

"Right." Katniss beamed another helpless smile.

Haymitch, who was standing on the other side of the door and listening, promptly walked away. He stumbled upon a chair, causing his frown to grow even deeper. Leaving his glass full of whisky on the table, Haymitch departed towards his own chambers. 

"Take care." Draco nodded and Katniss left through the door, leaving him all alone. Sighing, Draco jumped onto the bed, his clothes still on. It was an eventful day once again. Fortunately, his plans were going alright so far. However, he would probably need to act up again once he was in the Capitol. This wasn't enough.

"Acting arrogant is quite amusing, though," Draco mumbled to himself, turning his head towards the window. The train was traveling fast. Effie said it should take them around 3-4 days to get to the Capitol. Plenty of time to enjoy this luxurious lifestyle.

Knowing that he was safe here, Draco closed his eyes.

It was nap time.

9