More than meets the eye
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Come on Stiles, you're up"

Setting the ball and taking his stance, Scott could tell his friend was nervous from his demeanour. They both wanted in the team and this was their chance.

"I can get exp later, he has worked hard for this let's risk it." Scott thought to himself.

Stiles was so nervous, he wanted to join the first team and for that, he needed to score. But Scott's performance diluted his morale and he felt he wouldn't score. He ran up to the ball and slipped the moment he wanted to kick the ball and landed on his face. The other players laughed at this, further diluting his morale.

"I can do this."

He placed the ball again and kicked it this time. The ball, for many of the players, wasn't hit properly and it could be seen from its speed. Scott could see this and still pretended to try to keep the ball, letting slip from his grip and into the goal. Stiles was dumbfounded as he couldn't believe his friend had deliberately allowed the ball in. Other might not have but he noticed it.

"I did it I scored, did you see it ?!"

Running up to Scott and hugging him, one could see what it meant to both of them. They were both jumping and swinging their arms.

"Scott, Stiles come over here."

They both stopped their celebrations as different thoughts were running through their minds. What had they done, what did he want from them now?

"Yes coach", they answered in unison.

"What was that?"

He asked when they got to his sides. They didn't know how to answer the question. What did he mean? They were both trying to make the first team, that's what it was.

"Football?"

They answered not sure if their response would anger the coach. He patted them on their shoulders rather heavily. Stiles flinched and moved away and for Scott, the coach had to remove his hand as it became sore.

"That... was amazing football. Keep it up there's a practice match coming up soon, and you're both playing. Oh, you've got a sturdy shoulder there Scott"

The coach said rubbing his hands. He didn't expect a young player's shoulder to be that hard, and he had hit it with a lot of force, hoping to reignite the fear most players had for him.

"We made the first team? Oh my gosh!"

They couldn't believe it, and at last, they were given a chance to play and not as substitutes, but as first-team players.

______________________________________________________________________________

"I don't know what it was, but I suddenly felt like I could catch, almost like I was Thibaut Courtois, and that I had all the time in the world to catch the ball. I feel it's just the adrenaline"

They were all back in the changing room, and after receiving applause, cheers and death glares from Jackson, they were finally left to themselves.

"Yeah, probably the adrenaline, and I saw what you did there, thanks I owe you one."

"Huh?"

"You think I didn't see it? you could have caught the ball but let it in the goal."

"It's nothing, to be honest."

"Come on let's go, you gotta show me where you found the body."

"Sorry man, I can't, I have to get to work, Mr Deaton has been lenient on me and I don't wanna take that for granted. I have missed a few days and he still pays me. Gotta run."

<Quest completed>

<10 exp gained>

"Two birds killed with one stone." Scott couldn't help but mutter.

Scott worked at the animal clinic, something he always wished to do. Due to his family's situation, he just had to start early with almost no experience whatsoever. He went through pieces of training for a few weeks and then started working there, using whatever he earned to support his mom and sister. He often worked overtime, which took a toll on him, especially in his academics.

"Evening Scott." Mr Deaton greeted.

"Evening sir."

"I see you came in early today."

"Wanted to work more hours and be punctual for a change."

"That's nice to hear."

As a veterinarian, Scott encountered different animal situations. It was at first difficult, especially gruesome cases, but eventually, he got used to it.

"Let's get to work. Call in the next patient and start I'll join you in a minute."

Nestled in a quaint corner of the city, the animal clinic stood as a haven for pets and their concerned owners. Its vibrant exterior, adorned with cheerful hues, welcomed visitors with a sense of comfort and assurance. The soft melody of chirping birds and the soothing sound of water trickling from a small fountain created a serene atmosphere, easing any anxiety that may linger.

Stepping inside, a symphony of scents greeted the senses—a subtle mix of antiseptic cleanliness, fresh flowers, and a hint of pet-friendly fragrances. The spacious waiting area, bathed in warm natural light, featured plush seating, providing a cosy spot for worried pet parents. A series of informative posters adorned the walls, educating visitors on various health topics.

Behind the reception desk, a team of compassionate staff members bustled about, their smiles radiating warmth. Their gentle voices, coupled with their genuine love for animals, instilled a sense of trust and reassurance. The diligent nurses, dressed in crisp white uniforms, skillfully attended to the needs of the furry patients, ensuring their comfort and well-being.

Beyond the reception area, a labyrinth of immaculate hallways revealed consultation rooms, each adorned with animal-themed artwork and equipped with state-of-the-art medical instruments. The soft hum of medical equipment created a backdrop of efficiency and professionalism.

In the heart of the clinic, a well-equipped surgical suite stood ready for skilled veterinarians to perform delicate procedures. The latest technology, combined with the expert hands of the doctors, promised the best care for their beloved patients.

With every corner exuding compassion, expertise, and dedication, the animal clinic embraced its role as a sanctuary for furry companions. Here, pets found solace, healing, and the promise of a brighter, healthier future.

The operation room had another door that led to the accommodation, where stray animals were kept and given to willing future owners.

It was dark already and lights could still be seen in the clinic that was meant to be closed about 2 hours ago. Scott was still there, trying to clean up after the day's activity and then go home to hit the sack. He came upon a stray sheltie on his way home. It was injured and couldn't move its hind legs. It barked at him when he got close to it. Trying again, he looked at its eyes glaring and it surrendered. Unbeknown to him, his eyes had glowed, subduing the animal

<Creature subdued>

<New skill unlocked>

<Subdue>

<The ability to bring creatures of the *Canis* species under control.>

<Skill lasts so long as the subduer is within the vicinity>

<Only applicable for creatures with intelligence 50% lower than the subduer.>

Scott was surprised as he didn't expect the system to be game-like.

"There's more to this system than meets the eye."

Back at the clinic, he treated the dog and took it to the accommodation room. On stepping into it, the room went into a frenzy. This scared both Scott and the sheltie.

"Quiet !"

The whole room fell silent with just one word.

<Creatures subdued.>

<Skill Level up>

<Subdue - Level 2>

Ever since he had gotten the system, he had been bothered. How could he not be? He had become one of folklore's most vicious creatures and he couldn't tell anyone. He would be called a freak and become an outcast. In the end, he accepted his fate and decided to use his new profound powers for the greater good

"This system keeps getting better and better"

1