Chapter 7 – The Holy Ground is the Big Hole in the Middle of the Floor
76 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jules was gracious in putting up with me, but by the end of the week after Tess’ funeral I could tell she was getting antsy. I was, too. Hated imposing on her. I was out all night every night trying to find a new place to live. A real challenge considering my income of zero dollars, and still being wanted by the cops. At least Jules had heard the investigators were under the impression I had skipped town, so the heat wasn’t as bad now. I took a break from our wandering to stop at Montrose Beach. No sun, but I could enjoy the surf at least. I leaned against the retaining wall and stared out over the lake. Tess appeared next to me and leaned against the wall herself. I smiled. It was taking some getting used to having her pop in and out of my vision, but I was still ecstatic to have her back. Even in this way. 

“You know,” Tess said, “we never visited the bird sanctuary. All these years in the city, and we never did any touristy stuff!” 

“Hmm. Might have to wait for winter, but if it's open after dark we can go then.”

Tess grinned, “it's a date!”

I smiled, “I'm glad you're back.”

“Me too. Never really thought much about life after death, but if it means I get to stay with you, being a ghost isn't too bad.”

We stood in comfortable silence. The waves gently lapping against the shore. I squinted. There was a silhouette in the distance. Like a circus tent. 

Tess turned to see what I was looking at. Not quite turned, though. One moment she was facing one way, the next she was facing the other with no apparent motion. “What are you looking at?”

“One of the cribs.”

“The water pump things?”

“Yeah.”

“What are you thinking? You've got that look about you.”

“Out of the way. Harder for youtubers to wander in.”

“New home?”

“They used to have keepers living there.”

“Are we going to have a look tonight?”

I grinned, and dropped my pants.

“Jane!” Tess exclaimed, “here? In public?”

I stuck out my tongue, “dirty mind! I'm going for a swim.”

“Oh! Right!”

Stripped down, I stepped into the water. It was cool. During the summer, lake Michigan was warm enough for swimming during the day, but hours without sun had bled the degrees. I was really banking on my largely untested vampiric resilience to avoid hypothermia. Or drowning. The crib was two miles offshore. The water crested my hips, and I dove ahead. In life I was an average swimmer at best, but I could side stroke and tread water well enough. Thirty minutes into my swim I paused for a break.

Tess stood on the surface. The small waves lapping through her feet. She squatted down to get closer to my eye level, “feeling okay? If you're drowning, I can't call 911.”

I smiled up at my wife. I ran a hand through my wet hair. Slicking It back and out of my eyes, “actually pretty good! Water is cold, but it's not uncomfortable. Feel like I could run a marathon right now!”

Tess leaned forward and planted a kiss on my forehead. My head dipped under the surface, and I popped back up spluttering, “hey! Not fair! I'm helpless here!”

Tess stood, and looked out over the lake, “just giving you a little encouragement! We're only halfway!”

“That's a strong ‘we,’ Tess! Only one of us is swimming it!”

“True!” She said, and disappeared from sight.

I felt her fill my body with warmth. She was the only warm thing about me at the moment. I stretched and continued pulling myself through the water. I reached the crib without issue, and pulled myself out of the water, ascending the few steps onto the flat dock. The jagged concrete bit into my bare feet. I walked past Tess, who had manifested ahead of me. She as naked as I, “can't you make yourself appear with clothes?”

She shrugged, and turned to walk alongside me, “I think so?” She took my hand in hers, “just didn't want you to feel naked alone. If we move in here, are you going to have to get nude every time we go home?”

I pursed my lips in thought, “not ideal. Certainly a downside To the secluded nature of the place.” I took my hand back to run fingertips along the frame of the door, “honestly I'm hoping the tunnel is still intact. If we can find a way to access it from land, it'll make coming and going much simpler.”

“Fingers crossed, I suppose. What are you looking for?”

I rested my hands on my hips, and took a step back to take in the door in its entirety, “a hunch. Hard to get to, but certainly not impossible. If I were the city, I'd have alarms. Especially now that there's no keepers on staff.”

“Wouldn't an alarm be on the inside?”

“That's the problem,” I said, biting my lip, “I'd rather not summon a cop boat in my current state of dress.”

“So we swam all this way for nothing?”

“Not entirely. We can still poke around the outside. But—” I paused. Tess watched me expectantly, “might be a good opportunity to see what you can do.” I pressed a hand against the steel door, “you said you were seeing through my eyes, right?”

“Yes ma'am!”

“Well. What if you can see what I can't?”

Tess nodded. She got the idea. She placed her hands next to mine, then stepped through the door without resistance. After a moment, “well that works!” Her voice sounded distant. Weighty. As though she was speaking through a dense fog, “a fixer-upper for sure. And you were right. There's an alarm panel on the wall here.” Tess stepped back through the door after a minute. “You couldn't see through me, could you?”

I shook my head, “no. Seems that's a one way street, too. But you sounded different. Like you were far off.”

She nodded, “that makes sense.”

“It does?”

“Kinda? Hard to describe. But when I was away from you I felt—untethered. It got worse the farther away I got.”

“I see. Let's not push that, I think. At least until we have a better understanding of— this. I've already lost you once, and I don't think I could handle losing you again.”

Tess nodded, “what's the plan now?”

I looked up the brick facade, taking in what I was hoping to make my new castle, “go back to Jules’. Let her know we found a place. Just need a little help to let ourselves in without getting a visit from her colleagues.”

 

—*—

 

Jules poured herself a cup of coffee and walked over to the couch where I sat. She paused. I tilted my head to my left, “Tess is on this side.”

Jules nodded and sat on my right, “Any luck finding a place?”

“Yup! Maybe.”

“Maybe?”

“Tess says it's a fixer-upper.” I rotated my laptop so Jules could see the screen, “and needs some logistical work to make it a little easier to access.”

“A water crib?”

“They used to have keepers, you know.”

“Huh. That's actually a pretty good idea. Gonna boat home?”

I shook my head, “not if I can avoid it. I'm, apparently, immune to hypothermia, but having to towel off that much would be annoying. Going to see if the tunnel to the mainland is still intact.”

“What's the catch?”

I took the mouse, and highlighted the section of the lighthouse enthusiast page I had found. “It's alarmed. And monitored by the CPD.”

“And you need my help?”

“If we can find a way that won't put your career in jeopardy.”

“Appreciate that.”

Tess leaned forward to look past me at Jules, “do you know anyone in the, uh, alarm monitoring department?”

I relayed the question to Juliet.

“Not yet. But I’ll bring a case of beer in for them. Ingratiate myself, and—I don’t know. Ask them to ignore an alarm for a day? I’ll think of a believable reason later. Give me a week.”

“Thanks Jules. Pretty sure I already said it, but I owe you big.” 

“Damn right you do!”

 

—*—

 

While waiting for Jules to work her magic with dispatch, I kept myself busy by trying to learn more about my condition. As with my prior attempt, I ran into the wall of the sheer amount of fiction about vampires. Even the really old stuff that tried to document the folklore was sometimes contradictory, and definitely not applicable to me. I, for one, wasn’t stuck in the grave on Saturdays. 

“What about that vampire hunter forum?” Tess asked. She was sitting next to me drinking tea. Or at least going through the motions.
“What does ghost tea taste like?”

A quizzical look crossed her face, and she looked down into the mug’s contents, “like I remember tea tasting like, I guess? Didn’t really think about it until you asked! Want a sip?”

“I—” I paused. Last time I tried to drink anything other than blood, I had thrown it right up. Would ghost drinks do the same? Ghost or spirit, or soul, or whatever Tess was. I reached for the mug. My hand passed through it. 

“One way street, remember?” Tess said. She held the mug to my lips. I felt the warm porcelain. She tilted the mug slowly, and felt liquid flow down my throat. I grimaced, and Tess stopped. “Did it work?” she asked.

“I felt it. The mug. But it tasted like ash.”

“Gross. Sorry.”

“All good. Learn something about our new states of being every day. At least I didn’t throw it up!”

“Small miracles?”

“True, true. But you were right. The forum might be our best bet. Risky cozying up to folk who’d probably stake me on sight, but not likely I’m going to make friends with any fellow vampires at this rate.”

“I guess. But you didn’t really have a choice in the tunnels. They were going to hurt those people.” She leaned forward and placed her mug on the table. It disappeared as soon as she let it go, “who knows? Maybe you’ll find a nice vampire one day and settle down.”

I closed my laptop lid, and looked at Tess, “Settle down? Why? I’ve got you right here. You’re back.” I reached out to take her hand, and mine passed through hers.

She looked at my hand, and rested hers on my thigh. “Jane. I love you. With all my heart. But you can’t touch me, I don’t want you to have to live forever with a partially intangible wife.”
“I—”

“We can talk about that later,” she gestured at my laptop, “for now! I’m curious about these hunters of my wife!”

“Right. Yeah.” I opened the laptop again and logged in. I navigated to the forum and realized I probably should’ve logged in earlier. There were a number of replies to my post. Some were definitely normal role players using my post as a jumping off point. 

Tess bumped into my shoulder, “just like D&D!”

I smiled, “Yup! Though I’d hate to see how, uh, FangRider69 would’ve handled Strahd.”

“Hornily.” Tess said, solemnly. 

We shared a laugh. 

“Here, I think this person might be more along the lines of who we’re looking for.”

User: CleansingDawn

Reply to DectF: Good work in there. Just remember to take the heads next time. Even new gen vamps heal up quick. New to the hunt? We're interested in meeting you. Check your messages. 

I clicked the little envelope at the top with a red 1 next to it. A message from the same user. ‘Dead drop. Holy Name Cathedral. 3rd pew from the back, far left side. Hollow hymnal under the bench. It has the Dogwood symbol on it. Burner phone inside. Check the contacts.’

“Neat!” Tess said. 

“Spy shit,” I said. “These folk are serious. Can I even go on holy ground?”

“Only one way to find out, I guess?”

“I guess.” I scrawled a quick note for Jules to let her know where we were going, and that the chances of incineration were non-zero.

 

—*—

 

“Rather inconvenient that nothing is open after dusk,” Tess said, taking in my sour expression. 

“So much for my plan to go in through the window.”

“Stained glass doesn't exactly slide open. Pick the door?”

I looked up at the row of windows and the light emanating from them, “I think someone might still be home. Let's walk the perimeter first.”

Tess nodded, and took my hand as we walked. There was a car parked around back. Nondescript Honda Accord with a couple stickers in the back window. One that said ‘don't honk, Jesus took the wheel.’ And the other was the forum logo. 

I pointed it out to Tess “look at that. Might be able to name drop our way in.”

I approached the back door and knocked loudly. I waited. I checked my watch. I tapped my foot.

“Hey.” Tess said, resting a hand on my shoulder, “relax. It'll be fine.” 

I forced air into and out of my now underused lungs. “Right. You're right. I hope.”

The door cracked open, and an elderly man peeked out, “yes?”

I waved, “Dogwood sent me. Here to pick something up.”

The man simply nodded. The door closed, and I heard the sound of a chain rattling. The door opened fully. “Come in.”

I hesitated. For just a moment. I stepped across the threshold. Nothing happened. Had my breath been unconscious, I'm sure I would've breathed a sigh of relief. 

“I don't recognize you,” the man said. 

“I'm new.” I told him. 

“Pleasure to meet you.” He held out a hand to shake, “I'm Father Pete.”

Shit. I hoped my hands didn't feel dead. I should start wearing gloves. I took his hand and watched his expression for any sign of acknowledgement, “Jane.”

“Well, I'll leave you to it. You would've been told where to look.”

I nodded. Tess and I walked to the back left of the vast Cathedral. We sat in the pew, and reached under the seat and felt around. There. A small shelf with a book. I pulled it free and flipped it open. An old flip phone was nestled in the cavity made of cut out pages. I pocketed it, and replaced the book. Walking out the way we came in I waved, “thanks, Pete.”

“Goodnight Jane. Go with God.”

I closed the door behind me. “Not fucking likely,” I muttered. 

 

—*—

 

“Oh! You didn't burn up!”

“Good to see you too, Jules.”

She grinned, “good news!”

“Oh?”

“Dispatch bribery went better than I expected.”

“You've already got a deal from them?”

“Mhmm. Told them my friend was a huge lighthouse dork and wanted to have a look inside.”

“And they agreed to ignore the alarm? Just like that?”

“Well. Not just like that. Said the beer was a good start, but wanted to sweeten the deal.”

“How bad?”

“They wanted a date, too.”

“Shit. Jules, I can't ask you to do that for me. We'll find another way.”

She shrugged, “it's fine. She's pretty cute anyway. I'm not terribly put out by the prospect.”

“Gayass,” Tess said. 

I snickered. 

“What's so funny? Tess?”

“She called you, and I quote, a gayass.”

“Tess,” Juliet said, “you are literally married to a woman.”

“God, Jules! I wish you could hear her laugh!”

Taking on a more somber tone, “I miss that already. Don't think I'll ever forget the sound of it, though.”

I listened to Tess respond, and relayed to Jules, “she says thanks. And wonders if we'll be out of here before your date.” Tess jabbed an elbow into my side, “ow! In case the two of you wind up back here.” I finished at her urging. 

Juliet chuckled, “I can just imagine the grin on her face saying that! But yes. Tomorrow night is Rachel's Friday on her rotation. You'll have about five hours between sunset and the end of her shift to get to the crib and fuck with the alarms.”

I nodded. I wished there had been more time to do some research on exactly what alarms were there, but I could improvise.

“Tools are in the garage. Take what you need.”

“Adding it to my immense debt to you, Jules.”

“Hey! I'll want those back when you're done.”

“Understandable.”

“Find what you were looking for at the church?”

“Mhmm. A way to contact that group of vampire hunters.”

“And you're sure that's a good idea? Considering—” She trailed off, and gestured at me. 

“Not really, no. But I desperately need to learn more about vampires, and they're probably my best shot at learning anything outside of folklore.”

“What about other vampires?”

“No dice. Tried that already. Found some, but we had a disagreement over dinner.”

Jules raised an eyebrow. 

“Their dinner disagreed with being dinner, and I got in the middle.”

“Ah. Making friends wherever you go.”

“Pinnacle of fucking charm, that's me.”

 

—*—

 

I was up and dressed at the crack of dusk. Jules gave me a ride to the beach so I'd have the most time possible to work on the alarm. I had decided to borrow a canoe a local rental company left locked on the beach. I didn't fancy a swim weighed down by the tool belt I had borrowed from Jules. Though I supposed as I didn't need to breathe, I could've walked along the bottom of the lake? Well, an experiment for another time. The waves lapped the side of the small boat as I rowed. Tess sat at the bow, and rowed too, though her intangible oar did nothing to propel us I did appreciate the effort. At the crib, I tied up the canoe and leapt onto the dock. I pulled the tool belt free, and strapped it around my waist. Stepping towards the door I felt around my pocket for the phone Jules had given me. I shot her a quick text. 

She replied a few minutes later. “Rach says you’re good to go.”

Tess was reading over my shoulder, “ohhh! It’s Rach now, is it?”

I smiled, and readied my picks, “I’ll let her know you were teasing her when we’re not in a time crunch.” The door creaked, and I winced. 

“We’ll need to oil that, I think,” Tess said, waving an intangible hand through the hinge.

“Like you said! Fixer upper!”

Tess showed me to the alarm panel. It read all clear. “What now?” she asked.

I clicked on my flashlight and ran the beam along the top of the inside door frame, “here.” I tapped the small rectangles of plastic, “thankfully, it looks pretty standard.” I transferred the flashlight to my mouth to free up my hands. I jammed the edge of a flat head screwdriver under the edge of each plastic bit in turn. I pointed them out to Tess, “Magnet and contact. Contact gets broken, and the alarm goes off.” Jules had squished the duct tape roll so it was oval, and didn’t unravel smoothly. I wrapped the two plastic pieces together, then used another strip to affix it to the wall over the door. 

“So,” Tess said, “ now the alarm will think the door is always shut?”

“That’s the idea! Well. Now we need to check the windows up there, and make sure the lighthouse part isn’t alarmed either.” I checked my watch, “and if there’s time we’ll check the land side of the tunnel.” Though I doubted Rachel would let that alarm slide. I worked as fast as I could, moving around the perimeter and disarming my new home. My concentration was broken by Falling in Reverse's ‘I'm not a Vampire’ playing quite loud from my pocket. Both Tess and I looked around in confusion, before I realized it was the hunter phone that was ringing. The clock on the phone indicated that I had about an hour and half before Rachel's shift ended. I had to make sure I was done before then, and I wanted to test out the breaker too. 

“Gonna answer it?” Tess asked. 

“I can work and talk, I guess.” I flipped the phone open and hit the speakerphone button, “Yeah?”

It was a woman's voice on the other end of the line, “taking your fucking time? You're supposed to call as soon as you pick up the dead drop!”

“Sorry,” I said, continuing to work on bypassing the alarms, “been busy. Middle of a move, you know?”

“Right. Well when will you be done?”

I glanced at Tess and shrugged, “tomorrow night. I don't have a lot.”

Tomorrow day?”

“Can't. Day job,” I lied without missing a beat.

“Ugh. Fine. You know the Holy Grounds?”

“The church?”

“No. The Café.”

“Ah. I'm unfamiliar.”

“Corner of Goethe and Dearborn.”

“Copy that.” I clicked the phone shut. 

“She sounds— intense,” Tess said. 

“Yeah. Fingers crossed I don't get staked tomorrow.”

“You'll be fine! I believe in you! I mean, come on! You've already taken out a bunch of vampires yourself! They'll like you right away!”

“Maybe. I hope so.” I returned to the canoe, and retrieved the two cans of paint Jules had had on hand. I started slopping it over the windows. I'd have to leave the lighthouse windows clear for obvious reasons, but I could just keep that door closed during the day. The windows on this level had to be covered, though. Both to keep me unburned during the day, and to keep light pollution from getting out. If the lights worked in here, it would be really easy to see from shore. Twenty minutes until Rachel was no longer monitoring alarms here. After that, any fuck up would summon the cops proper. Tess stood by the breaker box. Last chance to try that risk free. The box had a dozen switches, all off, save the one labeled ‘alarm.’ The text on the rest was too faded to read. I wanted power to the lights and outlets, but not the pump. I really hoped the big light was on its own circuit. Flashing that would be bad. Through trial and error I found what switch powered what. I pulled out a sharpie and updated the labels. And as a precaution I taped the alarm switch in the on position. 

“Can't we shut off the alarm?” Tess asked. 

“Possibly? Depends on the quality of this alarm. It's why I wished I had had more time to look into it. But shutting off the power will either set off the alarm, or switch it to battery backup. But that's a problem for the future.” My phone dinged. Not the Hunter phone. It was a text from Jules letting me know Rachel was off, and the alarm was back to being monitored. I put hands on my hips and took in the now-lit space, “well. This is where we live now, I guess.”

Tess took my hand, “wherever you are is home.”

I smiled at her. She smiled back. I felt alive for the first time since I died.

9