Chapter 72 – The day the world ends
46 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Cozy,” Sahra commented as they stepped inside Mergen’s.

“When will that bard start singing?” Rufus asked.

“The few times I’ve been here, he goes up a few hours after sundown and sings some songs for about an hour. I’m not sure exactly when, but we should have plenty of time,” Lomin said.

“Wait, you’ve been here before?” Rufus asked.

“Of course,” Loimin nodded. 

“When?” Rufus asked.

“Well, a few times during our time here, whenever I felt like listening to some songs,” Lomin said.

“Why did you never tell me?” Rufus asked.

“It’s a place for listening, not talking,” Lomin said.

“Then we’re supposed to sit quietly all night?” Rufus asked.

“Tonight’s an exception,” Lomin said.

“Whatever,” Rufus muttered, “Take a seat, everyone, first round is on me. I’ll get you something special, Lomin. I’m not letting you end the night before you have to be carried out of here.”

“Haah,” Lomin sighed, but a smile adorned his face. “Fine, I will leave it to you to carry me then.”

“You can count on me,” Rufus said, slapping Lomin on the back and laughing happily.

“That’s my favorite spot over there,” Lomin said, pointing out a small table in the corner of the tavern. 

“We’ll put some tables together then,” Benji said.

It didn’t take long before the group was seated and with drinks in their hands. Everyone had a glass of cheap generic beer that was served in places like Lermen. Lomin was the only one who also had a glass of liquor in front of him. 

“All in one go, Lomin. Let’s get this night started!” Rufus said.

“Alright, alright,” Lomin said before swinging the strong alcohol down his throat.

“Happy birthday, my friend,” Rufus said, grinning widely. 

“Thank you, Rufus,” Lomin smiled. 

“Happy birthday, Lomin,” The rest of the group congratulated him, raising their glasses. The conversation started immediately, everyone talking about shared memories, some from before Adion joined the team and some after. 

“Come on,” Sahra said, “It’s Lomin’s birthday. We have to tell the story about the peak Baby mage!”

“No,” Adion said, looking at Sahra with a serious face.

“Tch! So boring,” Sahra muttered.

“What’s the story?” Sell asked with a small grin, “Did you do something embarrassing, Adion?”

“Not particularly,” Adion said, looking away, “Anyway, what-”

“No, no,” Sell interrupted, “It is definitely something embarrassing. Otherwise, you’d have found some way to carelessly reveal it by now.”

“Haha!” Sahra laughed out loud, “That’s true.”

“I seem to remember a certain someone not managing to hide their identity for even an entire day,” Adion countered.

“I wasn’t really hiding it,” Sell denied. Adion was about to call her out, but Sell turned to Sahra, “Why don’t you tell me, Sahra? I can judge if it is embarrassing or not.”

“Unfortunately, I can’t,” Sahra shook her head, “He made me promise not to. I must have been drunk or something.”

“Well, he did save your life so it’s the least you could do,” Benji came to Adion’s defense.

“Don’t you think I know that,” Sahra muttered.

“You did?” Sell looked at Adion.

“Not really. I just got a very powerful healing pill from Eulen’s treasure when we robbed the place. I gave it to Sahra as she had gotten injured,” Adion explained. He had told Sell the story before but never mentioned that part. He was afraid Sell would be able to deduct that such a strong healing pill shouldn’t exist.

“Still, I won’t forget it,” Sahra said gratefully.

I guess Sahra isn’t bad at keeping secrets. She definitely knows.

Adion had suspected ever since the day he gave the pill to Sahra that she knew that the pill he had given was far too powerful to be something found in that treasury. Adion’s explanation had fooled Rufus, but Sahra knew exactly how badly she was injured, and had felt the pill's power for herself.

She has never mentioned anything about it, though. That’s for the best. Some things are better left unmentioned.

“Mm,” Rufus nodded, “Adion has saved our skins plenty of times. A strong and reliable man!”

Everyone turned to look at Rufus with questioning looks.

Was he trying to build me up? That was terrible, though.

“Er,” Rufus realized what he had said was really strange, “Anyway, Lomin. Today is your day, after all. Fancy any ladies in here? I’ll stop at nothing to make sure you get to spend the night with the most beautiful girl here.”

“Please don’t,” Lomin said.

“Haah,” Rufus sighed, “What good are my gifts if I can’t use them to help my friends.”

“What gifts?” Sahra questioned, “Lomin at least had a sweetheart back home. Aren’t you basically the only one here without someone? I mean even…” Sahra gave Adion and Sell a meaningful look. 

“Ouch!” Sahra yelled out as she was pinched by Sell, “Even you, my dear Sell? Can’t take a little teasing from your big sister? I’m hurt.”

Well, she’s blushing. Even if it wasn’t thanks to me, I’ll take it.

Rufus leaned over the table to whisper something in Adion’s ear, “It doesn’t count if you’re blushing too, you know.”

Damn. 

“Anyway, Rufus,” Sahra said, “Why don’t you find someone for yourself if you’re so great with the ladies? And not just a fling, something serious.”

“I need practice just like anyone else,” Rufus humbly said, “So if I want the best lady, wouldn’t I need the most practice?”

“I don’t think that’s how-” Adion began but stopped himself. “Never mind,” He said and took a sip from his beer.

“Hoo?” Sahra looked at Adion, “You have something to-” But before she could say something embarrassing, Adion interrupted her.

“The bard is here!” Adion said a little louder than natural.

“Mm,” Lomin nodded and looked over, “We should quiet down and listen.”

“Tch, lucky,” Sahra muttered.

A man who looked to be in his sixties made his way up on the small stage at the opposite corner of the tavern. He was carrying a lute and a beer in each hand. The previous rowdy place quieted down immediately.

“Thank you for taking some time out of your evening to listen to this old man’s songs,” The man said with a kind and calm smile, “I don’t believe there is any need to keep you waiting, so I’ll begin immediately. This one is called ‘Across the seas, there are people living in the trees.’”

The bard started playing his lute, and the place turned extremely quiet. As the bard began singing, Adion wondered if the man had written the lyrics himself or if these were all famous songs. He had never really gone out of his way to listen to music before, so he wasn’t familiar with many songs. 

As he listened, though, Adion found that he quite liked it. Especially the songs about the world’s hidden mysteries. As well as the songs that played more like stories, stories about people who had lived long ago. No one in the bar said a single thing for almost an hour. They were all focused on the beautiful songs being played.

Say goodbye to family, goodbye to friends

It’s the last day, to make amends

A fire is spreading

For all of us heading

This is the day the world ends

The tavern broke into a thunderous applause as the final song finished playing. The old bard bowed his head humbly and walked off the stage to rest.

“Amazing!” Sahra exclaimed, “Lomin, you should have brought us here much sooner.”

“Sorry,” Lomin smiled, “I guess I just assumed this wasn’t for you. I would gladly bring everyone with me next time.”

“I also want to come again,” Sell complained.

“I’m sure there are lots of places like this at Cyalis,” Adion said, “They might even have famous bards performing, if that even exists.”

“There are plenty of famous bards,” Sell said, “I’ve listened to a few of them. And I’m sure there are plenty of places like that in Cyalis, but…do you promise to go there with me then?”

“Mm,” Adion nodded, “It’s a date.”

Adion took a sip of his beer, trying to act casual. He managed to catch a glimpse of a slight blush on Sell’s blushing face, however. 

“Mm,” Sell nodded shyly and took a few gulps of beer.

“Well, have fun on your date then,” Rufus grinned, “Meanwhile, we’ll be exploring the Kuwamin Mountains! Rescuing beauties from wicked beasts!”

“That was just a song, Rufus,” Benji said, “I’m pretty sure most of it’s made up.”

“I choose to believe it,” Rufus said.

“Do you know any of the songs, Sell?” Sahra asked, “Know if any of them are based on fact?”

“I haven’t heard all of them,” Sell said, “But I think it’s mostly stories. That last song was probably about the Hellemi Church’s view of how the Age of Wonder ended, based on the lyrics.”

“Hmm,” Sahra mused, “I’m not a big fan of those guys since they seem so interconnected with Heavenly Light, but it was a beautiful song.”

“It was,” Sell agreed, “I hadn’t heard it before. Maybe he wrote it himself.”

“Well, let’s get on with the drinking,” Rufus said, “The bard was great, but he slowed down our pace considerably. We need to get Lomin under the table by the end of the night, after all.”

“Hehe,” Lomin chuckled, “Let’s get on with it then.”

“Leave it to me, my friend,” Rufus grinned and ordered a round of beer for everyone.

The group quickly got into drinking and telling stories again. Even Sell shared some of the rumors she had heard about the Noble families around the continent. After a few hours, surprising everyone, Benji was the first to drink himself done for the night.

“I’ll take him to the inn,” Sahra said, looking at Benji with loving eyes, “He’ll need some water and good rest. I’ll see you all tomorrow. Happy birthday again, Lomin.”

“Thank you,” Lomin smiled. “Take care on your way back.”

“Mm,” Sahra nodded, “Goodnight, everyone!”

After saying goodbye to Sahra and Benji, the night continued in a similar fashion. Now without Sahra and Benji to put much brakes on him, Rufus ran much of the conversation. Thankfully, they were still in the majority and could oppose him whenever he suggested they do something ridiculous.

“There's no way that’s true,” Sell said. “She can’t be as beautiful as you say.”

“Why? Because I’m the one who managed to get her in the end?” Rufus questioned.

“Well…yeah,” Sell said.

“I never realized you were this rude,” Rufus muttered.

“Sorry,” Sell said, “Maybe it’s time to head back for me too.” 

“Mm,” Adion nodded, “I’ll walk with you.”

“Mm,” Sell nodded with a smile.

“Maybe we should-” Lomin said and started rising from his seat, but Rufus immediately pushed him back down again.

“Oh no you don’t,” Rufus said, “The night is far from over.”

“Haha!” Lomin laughed, “Alright, Rufus, you win. Let’s see who’s the first to pass out then, shall we?”

“Now you’re speaking my language!” Rufus grinned widely.

“Alright, take it easy, you two,” Sell said as she got up to leave with Adion.

“And happy birthday, Lomin,” Adion said.

“See you tomorrow,” Lomin smiled.

Adion and Sell headed out into the street. The late summer night was cool and refreshing. They were both walking at a slow pace, not in any hurry to get back to the inn.

“Do you ever wonder what it was like during the Age of Wonder?” Sell asked.

“Of course,” Adion said, “It’s hard not to imagine what the world was like back then.”

“I wish I was born back then,” Sell said, “What a world it must have been to live in.”

“I don’t,” Adion said.

“Really?” Sell asked.

“I mean, I’m sure it was great in many ways, but I think the world is more interesting now. There is so much to discover. The whole world is full of ancient ruins holding secrets of the past. There is so much we don’t know yet. We don’t even know what lies beyond the Pure Soul stage. That makes it much more interesting trying to get there.”

“When you look at it like that, I guess it’s not so bad,” Sell smiled, looking down at her feet.

As they were almost back at the inn, Sell turned up to look at Adion, “What would you do if the world was ending? If a fire was spreading, like the song.”

“For all of us heading?” Adion asked.

Sell laughed, “Yeah. What if you saw a great fire on the horizon, stretched as far as the eye could see, slowly approaching. Knowing this was your last day, what would you do?”

Adion thought about it for a second before an obvious answer came to mind. He turned to look Sell in the eyes, “I would kiss you.”

Sell stopped walking and opened her mouth, stammering, “Y-you…I…” Her face was turning redder by the second. 

After a few seconds of silence that seemed to stretch out an eternity to Adion, Sell shyly spoke, “Well, the world might be ending tomorrow. You never know, you know?”

Adion moved immediately. It was like a part of his brain had been ready for a signal like this ever since he first saw her. Hearing those words, his brain commanded his body to move, and almost on instinct, he pulled Sell towards him and kissed her on the lips. A rush greater than anything he had ever felt coursed through his body. Even the wisdom pills were nothing in comparison. 

So soft.

The kiss lasted for a long time, but it still ended far too soon for Adion’s liking. Sell pulled her head away and looked him in the eyes for a moment. She opened her mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Her face started turning redder again.

“Goodnight!” She yelled and ran into the inn in a panic.

Adion just watched her go.

What was that just now? I felt that feeling of being all-powerful, just like when I took the wisdom pills.

Adion smiled brightly, looking in the direction Sell had run off. I guess I’ll have to do it again and find out.

 

1