Chapter 73 – Obvious
66 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Sell, are you up yet?” Sellitha woke up to Sahra’s voice and knocking on her door. “I’m going to get something to eat. Do you want to join me?”

Sellitha didn’t answer immediately. She stayed in bed, staring at the ceiling as memories of the previous night flooded her mind.

Did I really do that? I kissed Adion?

Sellitha touched her lips, the image of Adion’s visage etched firmly in her mind.

Ah! How will I face him now?

“Sell?” Sahra asked through the door.

“One moment!” Sellitha finally answered.

I’ll ask Sahra for advice. She’ll know what to do.

Sellitha quickly got dressed and opened the door to let Sahra inside.

“Sahra, can I talk to you?” Sell asked.

“Oh? Sure,” Sahra smiled and stepped inside her room, “What about? Did something happen with Adion last night?”

Sellitha felt her cheeks heating up. She couldn’t remember ever having a problem with that before, but now it was happening almost every day.

“So something did happen,” Sahra grinned, “Come on, tell me all about it.”

Sahra took a seat on the bed and beckoned Sellitha to take a seat next to her.

“Right,” Sellitha nodded and took a seat.

“So?” Sahra asked when Sellitha didn’t say anything.

“We kissed,” Sellitha said, avoiding eye contact with Sahra.

“Really? Ha! I didn’t expect Adion to be so ballsy. So how was it?” Sahra asked.

“Amazing…it was like my whole-” Sellitha stopped herself before saying something too embarrassing, “Wait, that’s not the point. What do I do now?”

“What do you mean what do you do?” Sahra asked.

“How should I act? I don’t think I can look at him now without being too embarrassed, let alone talk to him. And what should I wear?” Sellitha looked down at her Outskirter outfit, realizing for the first time that it wasn’t the most flattering, “And what does this mean? Are we…I mean, what are we?”

“Hahaha!” Sahra laughed happily, “What a treat to see you like this. But just act like you normally do. Well, not exactly the same, I guess. You are not the same anymore, after all. What did you say after kissing?”

“I just said goodnight and ran away,” Sellitha muttered.

“Haaah,” Sahra sighed, “Well, it would probably have been a good idea to talk some before doing that. I mean, are you a couple now?”

“I don’t know,” Sellitha said, “But we kissed, so we should be right?”

“Something like that is good to make crystal clear,” Sahra said.

“How?” Sellitha asked.

“Just talk to him,” Sahra shrugged, “Tell him you want to be a couple. I’m sure he’ll agree immediately.”

“That’s way too embarrassing,” Sellitha shook her head.

“What then? You’re just not going to talk to him again?” Sahra asked.

“That wouldn’t do, I guess,” Sellitha said.

“You wouldn’t be able to kiss him again either,” Sahra teased.

That would be bad.

“Alright, alright, I’ll talk to him. Just…talk to him,” Sellitha went quiet for a while. No matter how she thought about it, seeing Adion right now was too nerve-wracking. “How?”

“Why don’t we go get something to eat? We can head someplace where we won’t run into Adion before you’re ready. You’ll be able to think more clearly after getting some food,” Sahra advised.

“Mm,” Sellitha nodded, “That sounds good.”

Sahra and Sellitha both got up to leave. However, as Sellitha opened the door, she was met with a pretty unpleasant sight. The wide ape-grin of Mephina.

“Hello there, little Sell. You had fun?” Mephina asked.

“What the-” Sahra jumped back in shock.

“How long have you been standing there, Mephina? Were you listening?” Sellitha asked, her stupid cheeks turning red once again.

I have to find a way to fix that!

“Oh? Were you talking about something I shouldn’t hear?” Mephina asked, tilting her head with an innocent expression.

“Nope,” Sellitha denied, “What are you doing here?”

“It’s time to leave,” Mephina said, “Your parents arrived in Dorbarta last night. Fair warning: they seem to be less than happy with your behavior.”

Time to leave? But…

“They seemed to be less than happy with me too, I guess,” Mephina mused, “But I’m older and stronger than they are, so it would be strange for them to scold me, wouldn’t it? Ha!”

“Do we really have to leave immediately? Can’t Mom and Dad stay with the Tyllen’s for a few days?” Sellitha asked.

“I could try to explain that after ignoring your duties for the past few months, you want them to wait for a few days while you’re kissing your new boyfriend. Maybe they’ll agree,” Mehpina said, nodding her head as if what she said had a chance of succeeding.

“You!” Sellitha angrily yelled, “You actually were listening!”

“I would have figured it out immediately even if I didn’t hear anything,” Mephina waved off.

“You can’t tell my parents,” Sellitha said with a serious expression.

“Tch, I’m not one to gossip,” Mephina said.

Sellitha looked at her with a doubtful gaze, as she was pretty sure Mephina was exactly one to gossip.

“Don’t give me that look,” Mephina said, “Anyway, get your things.”

Do I really have to go?

“Should I get everyone so you can say goodbye?” Sahra asked from behind her.

Meet Adion? Now? In front of everyone?

“Mm,” Sellitha nodded and went to pack her things.

“How nice,” Mephina said, looking at Sahra leaving. She then looked up at the ceiling and mused aloud, “Maybe I should give that scoundrel a word.”

“What word? Just go out and wait. I’ll be there soon,” Sellitha said.

“I think I’d rather stay here and watch, actually,” Mephina said and walked to take a seat on Sellitha’s bed. She stretched her ape feet, wriggling her toes one by one.

“Whatever,” Sellitha said, not in the mood to argue.

This is the worst. Why can’t I just get to stay here until Cyalis?

“I guess there is no chance of you acting like you didn’t find me?” Sellitha asked.

“I’m afraid I can’t do that,” Mephina shook her head, “Or well, I could easily do it. I just won’t.”

“That’s what I thought,” Sellitha sighed.

“It’s not that I want to see you suffer. I’m actually quite fond of you, believe it or not,” Mephina said in an unusually earnest manner, “You might think things are rough, but it’s a rough world. And living as a princess, even with some restrictions on your freedom, is far from the worst of fates. Even you marrying Lord Hesfym is something many would see as a dream come true.”

“I’m not marrying that old bas-” Sellitha began but was cut off by Mephina.

“Lord Hesym. And you will. I could tell you liked this Adion when I checked in on you, so I thought you could stay here for a while and have some fun. I’m glad that seems to be the case. But it should stop here and now. Otherwise, only a world of pain awaits you,” Mephina said.

“What do you mean?” Sellitha asked.

“Do you think you can actually have a relationship with someone? Truly a stupid little girl,” Mephina shook her head, “It was a good thing I came here today. Otherwise,  leaving the two of you to your whims, rumors might have started spreading. You have to know that the Hesfym family would be furious if this got out. Adion would be hunted down and killed. You would be…well, let’s just say it wouldn’t do anyone any good.”

Sellitha stopped her packing to stare at Mephina.

“Then I would kill them,” Sellitha said, “All of them. When I’m strong, I will-”

“You are not strong!” Mephina interrupted Sellitha in a loud voice. She then relaxed and spoke in a softer tone, “You’re not strong, my dear Sell. You are weak. Very weak. And you will never get the chance to become strong if you continue being this stubborn.”

The room was quiet for a moment. Sellitha looked down at the floor in deep thought. After a while, she looked up at Mephina with a small smile, “That’s fine, Mephina. I wouldn’t want to become strong if I had to do things like not be with Adion to get there.”

Mephina just gaped at her.

“Hahaha!” Sellitha laughed, “It might be the first time I’ve seen you making an expression like that.”

“Just a girl,” Mephina sighed, “A silly girl. I should have seen this coming.”

“Maybe,” Sellitha said.

I should still warn Adion not to talk about us to anyone. It’s fine if it’s a secret for now.

Just as Sellitha finished packing her things, Sahra came back. She only had Benji with her, though.

“I’m sorry, Sell,” Sahra said, “Adion, Lomin, and Rufus seem to have left somewhere. I thought those brutes would be too hungover to move for a while.”

“Oh…” Sell said. She looked at Mephina in some kind of hope.

“Sorry, we’re leaving,” Mephina said, “You’ll see him at the Academy, surely causing all sorts of headaches for me, so don’t give me that look.”

Yeah, I’ll see him then. I’ll have to try to get there early.

“I won’t see you in Cyalis, Sell. But I’m sure this isn’t the last time we meet.” Sahra said, her eyes slightly teary.

“Of course not,” Sellitha said and went to hug Sahra.

“It was an honor having you on our team, Sell. It will feel empty without you,” Benji said.

“Tch! So formal,” Sahra muttered, hugging Sellitha.

“It was an honor to be part of your team, Benji,” Sellitha said. 

Benji smiled brightly, hearing that.

“Can you tell Adion not to talk too freely about us, by the way?” Sellitha asked, “We will have to keep quiet about us for a while.”

“Sure thing,” Sahra said.

“Alright, then.” Mephina said, standing up, “Time to leave, little Sell.”

“Mm,” Sellitha nodded and let go of Sahra.

“I hope you train hard, or you will never be able to catch up with me,” Sahra said as Sellitha and Mephina left the room.

“Don’t worry, it won’t be long before I leave you in the dust,” Sellitha said with a smile.

“Tch, feels like Adion is a bad influence on her,” Sahra muttered.

Mephina and Sellitha walked out of the inn and headed for the gate leading out of Lermen. People stopped and stared at Mephina as they saw that she was a beast walking about with clothes. They were all just ignored by Mephina, though.

It wasn’t long before they were out of the outpost, and Mephina turned her back to Selltiha and bent her knees.

“Alright, hop on,” Mephina said.

“Am I not a little too big for that?” Sellitha asked.

“You’re still just a girl. I thought I made that clear? And we don’t have the time to just walk back leisurely. Hop hop!” Mephina said.

“Haaah,” Sellitha sighed. “Fine,”

However, as she walked to climb onto Mephina’s back, Mephina suddenly turned around to look behind her.

“You’re going to have to tell me how he does that,” Mephina said.

“Sell!” Adion’s voice rang out from behind her.

Sellitha turned to see Adion running towards her. She couldn’t stop a smile from spreading across her face at seeing him. 

“Adion!” Sellitha yelled, and suddenly found herself running towards him. She reached him in a few seconds and immediately hugged him tightly.

What am I doing?

Sellitha could feel her face heating up again. Her head was resting on Adion’s chest, and she could hear his heart beating just as fast as hers was.

“Are you leaving?” Adion asked.

Sellitha nodded her head without speaking.

“That sucks,” Adion said.

Sellitha nodded again, her head rubbing against Adion’s chest.

“I’ll train hard. It won’t be long before I’m stronger than that Hesym guy, so don’t worry about that,” Adion said.

“Haha,” Sell laughed, “You’ll have to train hard then because I’m planning on beating you to it.”

“Mm,” Adion said, “Also, I wanted to tell you I like you last night. But maybe that’s obvious?”

You’re saying stuff like that now?

Sellitha couldn’t hold back a smile from forming, though. She removed her head from Adion’s chest to look him in the eyes.

Close.

Sellitha felt her face heating up even more than earlier.

I really do like those eyes. I wonder if I could ask uncle to paint them so I could always- No, what am I thinking? How embarrassing.

“I like you too, but maybe that’s obvious?” Sell said.

Adion smiled brightly, hearing those words.

He’s smiling. He’s so happy. Wait. Is he going to kiss me? Here? Now?

Sellitha realized what was about to happen and closed her eyes in anticipation.

“You have to be kidding me,” Mephina’s voice sounded, and Sellitha felt herself being dragged away from Adion.

“Corrupted my little Sell,” Mephina said, “What kind of ancient forbidden magic did he use?”

“Lady Mephina,” Adion smiled awkwardly.

“You had your fun, punk!” Mephina said, “Let’s get going, girl. Hop on.”

Sellitha looked back at Adion a final time, “I’ll see you at the Academy, Adion,”

“Mm,” Adion nodded.

Sellitha hopped on Mephina’s back, and they immediately took off. Leaving Adion behind.

Haaah, I’ll just focus on training until I get to Cyalis. I can’t let Adion pass me too much.

2