Mystique Meets Anna
366 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

13th Block. 

Andrew's original apartment was downstairs.

A scruffy homeless man walked slowly from the street and leaned against a lamppost. His eyes slowly looked at the high-rise apartment in front.

He whispered, "Are you sure only the woman named Anna lives there now?" 

"Andrew has moved out?"

"Definitely, my intel is never wrong. Your mission is simple - first control the woman Anna, become her, get close to Andrew." 

"Bring Andrew to the Mutant Brotherhood."

Apparently, this bum was Mystique of the Mutant Brotherhood. 

Mystique's eyes narrowed. "And then?"

"Kill him. Will I impersonate him again?"

"Absolutely not. Your ability is still a superpower. Once suppressed, it may reveal your true form." 

"If he doesn't want to join us, bring him to the Brotherhood. Let him suffer." 

Although unhappy that she was looked down on, Mystique knew he had a point. 

"Didn't you say Xavier's people contacted him before? Don't underestimate them." 

The guy on the headset continued: "That Charles keeps to himself. They also think Andrew is a high society type who hates mutants."

"So don't worry."

With Xavier's people unlikely to intervene, Mystique wasn't worried. "Wait for me to bring Andrew back."

"Looking forward to the good news." 

When the call ended, Mystique snuggled by the lamp post and fell asleep, waiting for Anna.

After a while, gunshots quickly caught Mystique's attention. She was extremely sensitive to that sound. Alerted, she looked down the alley where it came from. 

The upstairs was still dark. Then she got up and walked towards the gunshots.

Not long after Mystique left, Anna's car parked downstairs. Just returned from Helen, she had heard gunshots entering 13th Block, near Andrew's apartment.

Anna got out and looked around: "This place will never be peaceful." 

"Those 2 years in the East were so nice." She couldn't help missing it - some people there may never hear gunshots their whole life.

You could even stay out safely all night. These seemed luxuries in New York. 

Anna sighed, wrapped her windbreaker, and looked upstairs: "Heartless, leaving as soon as you say. Gwen didn't even stay with me." 

"Women shouldn't live alone..." Muttering, she walked up to the apartment.

Inside the dark alley, the robbers looked at Gwen lying shot on the ground. 

"We...we killed Spider-Woman?"

"Yeah, bro..." 

"We killed Spider-Woman!" They grew happier thinking about it. 

Spider-man was a thorn for all of New York's criminals. Every gang member wanted Spider-Woman dead quickly.

Even the black market had started buying Spider-Woman's head for high bounties. As long as you could prove it was really Spider-man's, not only would you get a huge reward, but become a super criminal, respected by all.

It showed how much the underworld hated Spider-Woman now.

"Hurry bro, take the body to the black market! With Spider-man's head, who cares about these jewels!"

A younger brother immediately began advising. 

"With Spider-Woman's head, what are these jewels for?"

***

"Is that the reason for all the commotion just now?" 

Anna stood by the balcony, looking down at 13th Block. A group of detectives had caught three robbers coming out from the dark alley, cobwebs still clinging to them.

"Looks like Spider-Woman caught another gang." 

"What an entertaining superhero."

Anna also noticed a homeless person lying next to the trash can not far away. However, that was too common in this country, so Anna went back inside without paying much attention.

Now she was the only one in the apartment, dressed very casually. 

Downstairs at 13th Block, Mystique sat at the edge of the trash can, looking just like a real homeless person. When her sharp eyes weren't on the detectives, she glanced up at the balcony through her messy hair.

She looked away when Anna went inside, and watched the detectives instead.

"Boss, we found all the stolen goods, and a business card on one robber."

A detective reported to his boss. 

"Business card?"

"Here it is..." 

Wearing gloves, the detective took out a card with a cute spider head emoji, and the words "Spider-Woman, was here!" written.

Seeing the card, the chief also smiled knowingly: "Pack up team! Take the goods and robbers back."

The mighty group left 13th Block. Only after they were gone did the block's rooms start lighting up, then going dark again. 

Mystique, who had sat by the trash can, slowly got up and walked to the apartment building. Her body's blue scales rippled as she shapeshifted into another person and got on the elevator.

Andrew's House

Andrew, who was meditating, was suddenly awakened by the Red Queen. "Master, something happened."

Andrew frowned slightly: "What is it?"

A picture appeared - the elevator, with someone looking like Gwen inside: "Gwen? What's she doing at the apartment?"

But soon, he realized something was off: "Didn't Gwen go catch robbers and head home?"

"Red Queen, where's Gwen now?"

The Red Queen immediately showed Gwen's location map - she was on her way home. So the one in the elevator wasn't the real Gwen.

Andrew sneered, "The Mutant Brotherhood..." 

"Finally can't stand it huh?"

With the ability to flawlessly shapeshift into anyone, he could only think of one person - Mystique of the Brotherhood.

"Master, should I inform Miss Gwen?"

"No need, even if Gwen came now, it wouldn't help much. I'll go personally. Since Magneto wants me, I'll meet him directly."

Andrew got up from his mat. A golden light descended, enveloping him. When it faded, he was in the majestic Emperor's armor. 

"Her goal is likely Anna first. Control Anna, become her, get close to me... Magneto is crafty." 

His figure flashed and disappeared. 

Seeing him leave, the Red Queen closed her eyes and all the room's lights went out.

Dong dong dong...

Anna, about to sleep, suddenly heard knocking and frowned. Who would knock so late? Recalling news of murdered lone women, she grew vigilant. 

She tiptoed to the kitchen and picked up Andrew's kitchen knife. Cautiously, she looked through the peephole. Seeing who it was, she sighed in relief and opened the door.

"Gwen, call first next time! I thought it was some rogue knocking on a lone woman's door at night." 

'Gwen' smiled: "Sister Anna, a beauty like you should be more safety conscious." 

"But it's safe now, give me the knife, I'll put it back." 'Gwen' lightly took it from Anna's hand.

Anna smiled: "It's so late, why aren't you with Andrew? What are you doing here?"

"Forget that boring guy. I'll come to you, Dad's not coming home tonight. I'll sleep with you, unless you don't want me?" 

'Gwen' held Anna's hand pleadingly like a spoiled child. Anna smiled: "Okay, we haven't slept together in a while. Oh wait..." She seemed to recall something.

'Gwen' was startled: "What's wrong, Sister Anna?"

"Gwen, wait here. I have a gift for you I never gave. Wait, I'll go get it from my room." 

'Gwen' smiled: "I'll come with you."

"No, it's a surprise, something you'll really like. Just wait here for me."

Watching Anna happily leave, Mystique sneered in disdain. Using her power to toy with ordinary people was her greatest pleasure. She loved seeing their final unbelieving expression at death. That was the best affirmation of her ability.

"Don't worry Sister Anna, your expression will surely be the best yet. I promise." 

'Gwen' waited smiling for Anna's return.

1 minute...2 minutes...3 minutes passed. Nearly 10 minutes, and a bad feeling arose in 'Gwen'. But she shrugged it off - how could an ordinary person see through her flawless camouflage?

"Sister Anna?" 'Gwen' called towards the room, but got no response. Her facade changed: "Damn it!" 

She rushed over and violently twisted the door handle. The door slammed open. The moment it opened, Gwen's face changed dramatically. She slowly raised her hands.

"Sister Anna, what's wrong? It's me, Gwen..." 

The Anna before her still had a calm expression, but wore revealing red attire. She held a Broomhandle pistol in both hands, muzzle aimed at 'Gwen's' forehead. If this Gwen dared anything funny, she'd fire without hesitation.

Mystique could shapeshift freely, but had no defense against bullets like Wolverine. With a gun to her head, cold sweat beaded Mystique's disguised forehead. 

"Sister Anna, did we misunderstand? See, it's me Gwen." 

"Stop pretending, I knew you weren't Gwen the moment you entered." 

"Who the hell are you?"

Cornered, Mystique's mouth curved evilly. Her body's blue scales rippled, restoring her original form. Anna's pupils contracted seeing the blue-skinned figure.

"Mutant...Mystique."

Mystique wasn't surprised Anna knew her, just asked, "How did you find out..."

To be continued...

11