The Emperor vs Magneto (1)
344 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Facing Mystique's question, Anna lightly pulled the pistol's safety.

"Do you know my profession?"

Mystique narrowed her eyes. "Psychiatrist. The world's best psychiatrist."

Just to be safe, Magneto had thoroughly checked Anna's background. As the mission performer, Mystique was very clear.

"Yes, as a psychiatrist, I'm best at deducing people's mindset from their actions. When you acted as Gwen, you lacked the subtle gestures she'd have. Also, Gwen always calls me 'Cousin Anna' not 'Sister Anna'!"

Anna felt a bit proud: "Your shapeshifting may fool ordinary people flawlessly."

"But to me, it's full of flaws."

This was Mystique's first failure since gaining her power.

Seeing the change in her expression, Anna knew she had the upper hand now. "Okay, my turn to ask questions. Why impersonate Gwen and approach me?"

"My social influence is unlikely to reach your Mutant brothers. As a criminal psychology expert, my name circulates in certain circles. But beyond that, few know me."

"With Interpol's protection, finding my info online isn't easy either. Not everyone has a famous AI like Andrew to search globally."

"So what attracted the Mutant Brotherhood? I'm curious."

Hearing the question, Mystique laughed: "Blame yourself, getting close to Andrew made you the perfect target."

Anna frowned slightly: "Andrew? What does he have to do with this?"

"Don't you know? He really keeps a low profile."

Mystique looked mockingly at Anna. She had just boasted about analyzing psychology through subtle signs. But she didn't see through Andrew? Wasn't that embarrassing?

Although doubting Andrew now, Anna maintained her poise. "Tell me then. I'm curious why an ordinary boy would interest your Brotherhood."

"Ordinary? Ha, some psychologist you are! He owns nearly 80% of Stark Industries stock. A real billionaire."

"What?!" Anna knew the huge impact such wealth could make in this capitalist nation. She also knew what the Mutant Brotherhood would do to Andrew.

"It's really asking for trouble. I just stayed at his place a few days and got targeted by you."

"But he did lend me his home, so I owe him a favor. I'll call George to come arrest you."

Although armed, Anna had never killed anyone before. The gun was given by a worried friend for self-defense and she kept it with her. Now it played a role.

"You can meet Andrew tomorrow, just at a different location."

As the call was about to connect, a strong force pulled the phone from her hand, smashing it against the wall. Anna stared in disbelief. Why did it fly out itself?

A voice came from the balcony: "Raven, pity your mission failed."

Hearing it, Mystique's face darkened. This first failure was a huge disgrace for her.

"Next time will be different, I promise."

"I hope for the best as well." A figure floated in from the balcony.

Seeing him, Anna's face darkened: "Leader of the Mutant Brotherhood...Magneto!"

"An honor to meet you, Miss Anna. After checking on you, I'm quite an admirer."

After a polite bow, Magneto grew serious: "Sadly you're only human. Before death, your role is to be replaced by Raven once killed."

"She'll approach Andrew for us. Then kill Andrew, with Raven becoming him instead."

Magneto shook his head: "No, her power would also be suppressed. We must completely control Andrew, and make him our puppet. Become the face of Mutantkind."

He opened his arms, speaking grandly of the plan. "It's an honor you know this before death. Though you won't see it, at least you're aware."

"Die gratefully, Miss Anna."

A screw on the window frame spun rapidly, then floated before Magneto. Seeing this, Anna knew she'd die if she didn't act. Magneto was the real threat, not Mystique. Wasting no time, she turned the pistol to Magneto and fired.

The shot rang, the bullet leaving the chamber towards Magneto. He didn't dodge or evade. 1 meter away, it met an invisible barrier, slowing until it tapped his helmet and fell.

Anna emptied her magazine, but each bullet met the same fate, falling after touching Magneto. Watching her struggle, Mystique's mood improved.

"It's over, Miss Anna..."

The screw shot out faster than the bullets, a black line. A thought crossed Anna's mind - "Is this how I die?"

**

"Are you still getting used to living here?"

In a military apartment, Rogers was flipping through magazines and books. On the table before him was a thick stack, mostly world history and American history books. Rogers frowned while reading many of them.

Across from him, Nick Fury sat upright, watching the man once seen as America's spirit. Even as S.H.I.E.L.D's director, Fury felt his aura suppressed before this man. Just sitting there, Rogers exuded an indescribable sense of justice - perhaps why he had been chosen for the experiment back then.

Rogers glanced at Fury, surprised that a minority could hold such a high position in America now. At least in his time, it was unthinkable.

Rogers also learned from Fury that S.H.I.E.L.D. was founded after WWII by Carter, Howard, and the general who drafted him.

Decades had passed in a flash. Howard died in a car accident, the general passed away. And Rogers' old lover Carter now lay hospitalized.

With all this on his mind, Rogers said, "I'm not very used to it yet. At least, I haven't accepted it fully."

There was so much he didn't understand. Although studying hard, 70 years of history was too much to learn.

"But one thing remains the same - this country still loves war, although the economy and technology have grown. It's the same as before."

Rogers turned to some postwar photos. Seeing them, Fury didn't refute - they were facts.

"So you won't return to the military?" Fury followed up.

Rogers replied: "I joined Howard's experiment to end useless wars, not wage them. Now that it's over, I don't want to start or aid senseless wars."

He looked at Fury earnestly: "What, did military leaders ask you to persuade me today?"

"Definitely not, we don't have a good relationship either. I just wanted to check your stance and discuss something."

"Discuss what?"

Fury nodded, taking a document from his briefcase and sliding it over. "A superhero team - I call it the 'Avengers'. I want you as the leader."

Rogers frowned, glancing through it before setting it down. "Let me adjust to this world first. We'll see."

Just then, Fury's phone rang. Not many had his personal number, so it must be important. Fury answered it: "Hill, found anything on Ivan Vanko?"

Hill replied anxiously: "No, but something more serious is happening now. Magneto has invaded Andrew's apartment at 13th Block. An outstanding psychiatrist named Anna lives there, also a friend of Andrew's. Isn't it expected Magneto would target that arrogant man?"

"Is there anything concrete you can report?" Fury harbored resentment over Luo rejecting him and causing embarrassment. Since Andrew refused to join S.H.I.E.L.D., he deserved no protection from them.

"Director, if that was all I definitely wouldn't report it to you..." Hill's tone grew serious. "The main issue is...the Emperor is also there."

"What did you say?"

Call out!

Under Magneto's control, the black screw shot towards Anna's forehead. All three thought this was a certain death for Anna.

She never expected to die like this, thinking her strange illness would finally take her life. She didn't expect it to end up being mutants...

At life's last moments, Andrew crossed her mind. "Boy, you better treat our Gwen well, or I won't let you off."

Anna slowly closed her eyes. But the next moment, instead of pain, a clear crisp sound reached her ears.

Ding!

Anna opened her eyes. A golden figure stood before her, holding the supersonic screw inches from her head. "Emperor...The Emperor?"

She looked disbelievingly. Wasn't this the Emperor who had saved the police station? Why was he here, saving her?

Across from them, Magneto also frowned, eyeing the Emperor suspiciously. This robot-like man had appeared suddenly, easily grabbing his magnetically ejected screw. Could he be another powerful mutant, arranged by Charles?

For a long time now, after becoming Emperor, Andrew had not appeared publicly. Aside from some agencies with strong abilities, and George's side, almost no one knew of an Emperor in New York, let alone the reclusive Brotherhood mutants.

"Who are you? How and when did you get here?" Despite his churning thoughts, Magneto asked calmly on the surface.

The nearest Mystique changed faces rapidly, then swiftly moved behind Anna, pulling out the same pistol and jamming it against her head: "Enough tricks! You will surely die tonight, no one can save you!"

Mystique couldn't believe they were so close, yet this robot man could still stop her!

Just as she was about to pull the trigger, Mystique flew out instantly, smashing deep into the wall behind before spitting blood, unable to get up.

"Me?" Holding her pistol, Andrew sneered "I'm just a passing emperor."

"Seeing you mutants bullying a girl."

Magneto sneered. "The Emperor? Want to be a superhero like Charles's people? That will come at a price!"

He had never heard the name, but after observing, Magneto was no longer worried about this sudden opponent. Wasn't the mecha suit metal? Any metal was a plaything under his control. No matter how strong, the more metal one carried, the more weakness for Magneto to exploit. Let alone a full metal body.

"Oh? What price is that?"

Andrew smiled coldly. "I'm curious what price you mean."

He never provoked the Brotherhood himself. They came to hurt those around him. If Magneto swaggered at him, Andrew wouldn't be so angry. But this despicable act left no need to stay his hand.

With a flick, the screw Magneto intended to kill Anna with a shot back at him. Magneto was about to laugh when his expression suddenly changed.

"This...what's going on?!"

Retreating, Magneto pushed with all his might. The screw lingered in golden light, stabbing at him constantly. Exerting his power fully, he used all his strength to repel Andrew's shot screw.

Magneto's face turned particularly ugly. His ability controlled magnetism, one of nature's four fundamental forces. When the screw flew over initially, he wanted to control it and make it fly back. But to his surprise, he couldn't control Andrew's thrown screw at all. If not for reacting quickly, his eyebrows would be pierced now.

Seeing Magneto's struggle, Andrew turned to Anna: "Go hide in the room, in case you get hurt by this lunatic accidentally."

"Okay..." Snapping out of her stunned state, Anna immediately complied and ran to the room.

Slumped on the ground, Mystique watched Magneto being suppressed, completely disbelieving. She knew Magneto's strength well, among the most powerful mutants. Before omega-level mutants appeared, alpha-level were the strongest.

Omega-Level meant world destroying. Then alpha-level mutants, if utilized properly, were city destroying. Magneto was one who used his power properly. Rushing him could easily destroy all of New York.

This was why the Brotherhood got away with so much. High American officials knew the consequences of provoking Magneto. So they rejected mutants while also not daring to go too far. Both sides held the other's bottom line.

But such a mutant was now being dominated. Mystique never imagined Magneto could be so embarrassed in direct confrontation!

"You forced my hand!"

Sternness flashed in Magneto's eyes. A stronger, more terrifying magnetic force erupted suddenly. Under its effect, the screw in his palm bounced off.

Andrew tilted his head slightly, the screw grazing his cheek and nailing into the wall behind.

Magneto looked at him murderously: "I'll tear off your armor piece by piece and see who you are."

The terrifying magnetism spread, shaking all the room's metal - the door frame, wall rods, then the whole building. To the outside world, Andrew's apartment shook like an earthquake. The loud humming even woke up other residents, who opened windows to check the source of the noise.

The nearest Mystique and hiding Anna suddenly felt dizzy, as if something would burst from their bodies.

"You'll regret wearing that suit of armor, Emperor!" Magneto made a tearing motion at Andrew with both hands.

To be continued...

12