The Emperor vs Magneto (2)
346 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the car, Nick Fury stomped the accelerator, speeding down the road. 

In the passenger seat, Rogers pulled the door handle, trying to steady himself. Still he joked: "This place has changed far more than I imagined."

Taking a corner, Fury glanced ahead, saying: "I'd love to fill you in Captain, but we have more pressing matters now." 

"That mutant is dangerous."

Fury's face was stormy. Though he had confronted Magneto before, even threatening him, Fury knew well how extreme Magneto could be. 

Otherwise Fury wouldn't have threatened Magneto's life. His biggest fear now was the Emperor and Magneto fighting. 

He knew Magneto's strength. But the enigmatic Emperor, Fury had no clue. However, each of the Emperor's appearances had ended in absolute domination. His power matched Magneto's at the least.

That's why Fury worried that if pushed, Magneto might detonate all of New York City. That would be catastrophic. 

Sensing Fury's anxiety, Rogers grew serious, quietly watching the scenes fly by. Fury stomped the accelerator, the engine's hum echoing down the street. 

His car was specially modified by S.H.I.E.L.D techs. In theory, as long as Fury didn't fear death, it could hit 500 mph!

Fury was steadily approaching that now. Soon, after a harrowing ride, 13th Block came into view and he slowed down, carefully parking at the intersection. 

The quiet block relieved Fury's heart. At least they had arrived in time. 

"Captain, you get out first. With Magneto there, we'd better not drive up." 

Rogers nodded and fumbled for the handle, embarrassed to find no way to open it. Cars now were far more integrated than his era's. 

"Here!" Fury unlocked the door and exited. Rogers followed, looking curiously at the familiar street. It stirred a memory.

During draft times, planning to enlist in Brooklyn, he had been irritated by some hooligans before a close friend appeared, rescuing him. That friend was likely long gone now...

The thought saddened Rogers until Fury's shout returned him to reality. 

"There Captain, look." Fury pointed at an unassuming upscale apartment. 

"They're up there?"

"Yes, let's go!" Fury ran ahead, Rogers following. Just as they entered the lobby to take the elevator up, the whole building shook slightly.

"Earthquake?" Rogers steadied himself, asking Fury.

Fury's expression darkened, looking at the rapidly shaking metal elevator. "No, it's Magneto's madness!"

The elevator was out, so Fury rushed straight upstairs. Rogers immediately followed, "Which floor? I'll go first!"

"18th floor!" 

Rogers looked up the endless stairs, grabbed the railing with one hand and climbed swiftly, leaving Fury behind to trudge up normally. 

Fury knew that he and Rogers were no match for the enraged Magneto. 

"Hill!" He called directly, "Send fighters here, target all missiles at Magneto!"

Receiving it, Hill's face changed: "Director! Are you trying to..."

"There's no other way. If Magneto really snaps, all New York City suffers." 

"Better to sacrifice 13th Block than the whole city."

Fury said firmly: "It's worth it!"

Hill's expression shifted. "But you and the Captain are also there..."

"I'll handle the rest myself, just execute my orders now!" 

"Yes Director!"

Fury panted, watching Rogers climb higher. No matter what, Rogers could not know he had ordered sacrificing 13th Block for New York. That would permanently damage their relationship.

"Magneto... Emperor..." 

"You bloody bastards..."

The violent tremors let Andrew know Magneto wanted an all out brawl regardless of collateral damage. If they fought here directly, the entire building would be ripped up by Magneto. 

Next, Andrew felt a powerful magnetic force pour into the surroundings, also exerting a strong pulling sensation. 

"You'll regret wearing that suit of armor, Emperor!" 

Magneto faced him, hands pulling apart as if tearing something. He planned to magnetically shred the Emperor's armor right off Andrew.

Andrew sneered internally. This guy naively thought the Emperor's armor was ordinary metal. His armor was the materialized power of the five elements. The full body cover was fundamentally a pure energy construct. 

Magneto's magnetism might work on Iron Man's suits, but tearing the Emperor's armor was a fool's errand. 

Though the magnetism couldn't affect his armor, Andrew wouldn't let Magneto keep rampaging here. 

"Too cramped, let's change venues Magneto!"

Seeing Andrew chat so nonchalantly, disbelief filled Magneto's face. "You...how are you unharmed?"

Andrew didn't explain, instantly stepping before Magneto and punching his stomach. Though Magneto quickly erected a magnetic barrier, the sheer force still smashed him through the balcony.

With Mystique immobilized, Andrew glanced at the door where a sturdy blond figure charged in. With him here, Anna was safe, so Andrew flew out pursuing Magneto. 

Entering, Rogers saw a golden light shoot from the balcony. The room was wrecked. 

"What hap..."

"Are you okay?" 

Rogers crouched before Mystique, looking at the blue-skinned woman. He knew she must be a superpowered mutant. 

Weakly leaning against the wall after Andrew's punch and affected by Magneto's magnetism, Mystique saw this strange man ask about her state. In the past, such an approach by a human male would have made her kill him directly. 

But now she could only ask helplessly: "Who are you?"

When Rogers was about to introduce himself, Fury came over gasping. "Captain, she's with Magneto. Don't mind her. Where's Magneto?"

Glancing around the wrecked room, Fury found nothing suspicious except some clutter. 

"I don't know, she was the only one here when I came in." 

Rogers glanced at Mystique, about to stand and ask about the situation just now. 

Another sound came from the inner room. Rogers immediately looked at Fury. Before Fury could speak, Rogers said, "You stay here, I'll check inside."

Fury opened his mouth: "Okay, you go. I'll interrogate her on Magneto and the Emperor's whereabouts."

Rogers gave Fury a meaningful look. "I'll be right out." 

The sparse exchange shocked Mystique. Who was this blonde man who could order Fury directly? With S.H.I.E.L.D under his control, even average high officials tread carefully around Fury. 

Yet this man could point fingers at him. Mystique had no intel on the man in her mind. When Magneto had planned against America's top brass, she had learned of all the key officials. Only this blonde before her drew a blank...

Watching Rogers leave, Fury finally calmed down. He jokingly approached Mystique: "I'm very obedient today, not acting like myself." 

Mystique just glared viciously. She didn't retort not because she didn't want to, but simply lacked the strength now to transform. 

She said, "You S.H.I.E.L.D are so quick with news. Unfortunately you're late. Eric accomplished his goal and left already."

In her distaste for Fury, Mystique naturally lied. But Fury saw through her immediately and sneered: "You should know I have countless ways to make you tell the truth, each more terrifying than the last."

"You've got 10 seconds left. Speak now and you'll die easier." 

Fury pretended to check his watch and slowly counted down. Hearing it, Mystique's heart surged. If anyone else threatened her like this, she'd scoff and ignore them. But Fury was different.

The man now held up America and the world's largest agency. Would he be merciful? Outside opinions on Fury's ruthlessness were common. 

To speak, or not to speak?

"5...4..." 

Seeing Mystique's reluctance, Fury took out his pistol at 3. He disengaged the safety, pointing it at Mystique. Initially Mystique was unafraid of death, but Fury's psychological countdown had frightened her somewhat.

Seeing the pistol, she grew genuinely scared, knowing he'd really shoot if she stayed silent. And it was fine to speak - Magneto wasn't here anyway after the Emperor had kicked him out. She still believed he could beat the Emperor and return.

"1!" Fury hadn't expected anyone could withstand his mental tactics. They usually got him the information he sought. But Mystique was hardcore, not saying a word...

Of course Fury wouldn't actually kill her. A living mutant was far more useful than a dead one. And Mystique had a power very suitable for agents! 

Seeing her unyielding, Fury made to pull the trigger. Mystique blurted out: "Don't shoot, I'll talk!"

"I'm listening." Fury said calmly.

Mystique explained everything, omitting only the humiliating part about being beaten by Andrew. After hearing it all, Fury silently swore - too late again, damn it!

He was about to call Hill to track Magneto and the Emperor's locations when Rogers came out with a girl. Seeing Anna, Fury immediately approached: 

"Miss Anna, are you alright?" 

Anna glanced suspiciously at Fury and the sturdy Rogers. "I'm fine, just a little dizzy."

Fury said: "Likely due to Magneto's magnetism, it'll pass soon. Let me introduce myself, I'm Nick Fury, federal investigator. This is our Captain, Steve Rogers."

Externally, Fury rarely revealed his identity to civilians. Though of high standing, Anna was far from qualified to know him. 

Anna glanced at Fury, then nodded: "Thank you." 

Fury nodded back: "Rest on the sofa if you're unwell. The Captain and I need to interrogate this mutant first."

Despite feeling discomfort, Anna walked to the sofa side to sit, eyes still on Fury and Rogers.

"What did you get from her?" Fury relayed all he knew about the situation, then analyzed:

"Magneto likely wanted to control Andrew, leverage his wealth and influence. So he came to kill Anna, have Mystique replace her to get close to Andrew."

"But he didn't expect the Emperor to intervene..."

Listening to Fury's analysis, Rogers asked: "Where are they now?"

"I was about to ask when you came out." Rogers shot Fury a look, as if saying 'so you blame me?' 

Ignoring it, Fury dialed his phone. As it connected, Hill's anxious voice came: "Director...bad news!"

"Magneto is..." 

"Dead?"

Hearing it, Fury's pupils constricted in disbelief. "What did you say?"

To be continued...

12