The Aftermath
1.4k 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Over the phone, Nick Fury's expression turned extremely ugly after Hill's report. The worst case scenario he had anticipated was now reality. 

Rogers also sensed something wrong with Fury and stepped forward, asking: "Fury, what happened?"

"Captain, the battle's over."

Rogers' eyes narrowed - so fast? It didn't seem long since he had seen the golden light depart. 

Fury's voice was low but audible to all. Anna, who had felt relieved, stood up with a taut expression and walked over to Fury.

Hearing the news, Mystique naturally assumed Magneto had won. As a Brotherhood member herself, she knew his capabilities best. And that man was in metal armor? He was just asking to be brutalized by Magneto. 

Mystique was not surprised the battle ended so quickly - if anything, she felt it was a bit slow. Soon, Magneto would return to free her.

Anna walked up to Fury and asked worriedly: "Who won?" 

She knew of Magneto's power and was a high official. Anna clearly understood the country's top brass feared Magneto. So she was more concerned for the Emperor's safety.

Just as Fury was about to speak, Mystique cut in arrogantly: "Fury, are you still letting me go? When Eric returns..."

Rogers interjected first: "Whoever he is, I'll fight him to the end." 

Mystique sneered at Rogers' naivete: "Who do you think you are? Just you want to fight Eric?"

"You! Do you think Magneto will come save you?"

Fury quickly approached Mystique, staring her down: "Magneto lost!"

Finally hearing it from Fury's mouth, Anna felt greatly relieved. Rogers also looked relieved, though with slight unease. Only Mystique laughed in disbelief. 

"Fury, do you think that'll scare me? No one on earth can beat Eric. I know you're trying to frighten me and get Brotherhood intel after taking me back to S.H.I.E.L.D."

Before Mystique finished, Fury slammed her against the wall - a muffled thud. His murderous eyes stared at her, silencing Mystique. 

"I'll say it again - Magneto lost. Not only that, he was killed."

Mystique froze momentarily, her eyes hollowing slightly. Magneto...dead? 

Fury glanced at the stunned Mystique before turning to Rogers. "Captain, we should go take a look."

"What about her?" Rogers pointed at Mystique.

"Don't mind her. New York is about to change completely." Fury walked out without another word.

Rogers said to Anna: "Come with us, it's more dangerous here now." Anna nodded. "Alright..."

After they left, Mystique struggled up from the floor, leaning against the wall weakly. "No, I don't believe it! It must be Fury lying..." 

She leaned there, unable to accept Magneto's defeat and death. But the trio had been gone a while and he hadn't returned. Growing uneasy, Mystique stepped out of the room. 

She constantly prayed Fury's words were false - Magneto was just defeated, not dead! Before she knew it, Mystique had come to believe he was defeated. Still numb, she groped by a trash can and took out a black earpiece.

Pressing it, an irritated voice came through: "Did you succeed? Why so long?"

Mystique replied: "Eric had an accident and I was injured too. Come pick me up."

"Got it, locking your position now. Wait there!"

At Magneto's body, Wolverine and the X-Men looked solemnly at the dying Magneto. "Who could've killed this guy?" Logan spoke first.

He knew even he couldn't beat Magneto - with his Adamantium bones, he'd be casually mangled by Magneto. The others also couldn't believe the scene before them. 

"Let's report back to the Professor first. I think the world is going to change," Storm suggested. 

Cyclops disagreed: "Isn't that better? With Magneto dead, fewer mutants will do bad things. Our reputation will be much better, right?"

Everyone glanced at the naive Cyclops and shook their heads. Logan walked over, tapping his shoulder meaningfully: 

"They don't exclude us because of some bad mutants. They do it because we're not like them." 

Cyclops asked confusedly: "It's not?"

"That's why." Logan straightened his clothes. "Let's head back. Charles likely knows of Eric's death. We need to see what happens next."

The group set off back towards Xavier's School, Cyclops following with a puzzled look.

Inside Xavier's School, Charles sat uneasily before his desk, brows furrowed, hands nervously tapping the table. 

Jean Grey entered with a cup of coffee, placing it before him. "Professor, Logan and the others went already. It should be alright. Magneto has survived so often, this time is surely no different."

Pushing the coffee forward, she continued: "That man is very cunning." 

Jean's comfort greatly relaxed Charles' taut nerves. "I hope so."

Just as he reached for the refreshing coffee, Charles froze. Jean's face also darkened as she stared out the window.

"Professor..."

Charles clenched his fists tightly, eyes bloodshot. "Eric...dead?"

He could clearly feel Eric's mental signature had vanished completely. It wasn't suppressed or weakened. Just gone.

Suddenly Charles deflated, sinking into his wheelchair. His face paled slightly. Jean quickly asked if he was alright, at a loss for how to comfort him. 

She knew Professor X and Magneto were best friends in youth before ideologically parting ways - one founding the human-hating Brotherhood, the other the peaceful X-Men. Although at odds over the years, Jean knew Charles had never let go of that bond. Of course Magneto's death would sadden him.

"My condolences, Professor. I understand your feelings now..." Charles shook his head, looking disappointedly at Jean: "You think it's because Eric and I were once like brothers?"

Jean nodded mutely. Wasn't that it?

Charles smiled bitterly: "I lost any 'brotherhood' with him long ago. At his death, I feel some melancholy yes, but more worry for the future."

"Worries about the future?" Jean asked, puzzled. "Professor, with Magneto gone, won't the Brotherhood fall apart without a leader? Wouldn't that be good for us X-Men?"

Listening to Jean's naivete, Charles shook his head. He wouldn't ask a young girl to see that far. Instead he explained: 

"The X-Men exist to handle the Brotherhood. That's why the government allows Xavier's School, to take in mutant youths and groom them into X-Men. So more mutants don't join the Brotherhood." 

Jean wasn't stupid, just idealistic. After his clarification, she understood fully. To put it simply, Xavier's School was allowed to exist just to contain Magneto's Brotherhood. 

Although always clashing, the two complemented each other in opposing ways. Now, with the Brotherhood leader dead, its downfall was inevitable. Would Xavier's School still be needed by the top brass then? Or rather, would it still be allowed to exist?

"But...we've always cooperated with leadership. Even if so, would they still see us as a threat?" 

Jean clung to some hope in human nature: "As long as Xavier's School remains, we can still indirectly control mutants for them, right?"

Listening to her analysis, Charles helplessly shook his head again: "I thought the exact same as you once. But I eventually realized I was wrong. Even if mutants are of use to them, they still fear mutants. Simply because we're not like them!"

Jean's mouth fell open. Though still somewhat idealistic inside, her life experiences did tell her Charles spoke truth. 

Charles gazed out the window. "This country...such hypocrisy! Eric, you were a true friend after all. Even in death you've left me with a mess."

Initially Charles envisioned the Brotherhood and X-Men keeping each other in check, thus the leadership dared not touch either. But Magneto's death had ruined it all...

"Jean, when Logan and the others return, have them fully investigate who killed Eric. I'm going somewhere for now."

"Professor, where are you going?"

Charles took a deep breath. "To find someone, or an organization...that can help solve our predicament now." 

Seeing Jean about to speak, Charles interrupted: "Don't worry, I'll go alone. Stay here and wait for Logan." 

"I should be back tomorrow night." 

"Understood, Professor."

At Magneto's body, Fury and Rogers stood staring at the bleeding corpse. Anna was sleeping in the car, the night's stress finally relaxed after hearing of the Emperor's victory. 

Fury rubbed his face with both hands, trying to convince himself this was not a dream. Rogers asked: "Will things really go as you said?"

"Captain, that's already the best outcome. Their attitude towards mutants has always been murky." 

Fury pointed at the body. "Although I disliked him, his presence did somewhat protect mutants. Those greedy politicians up top will never allow such an uncontrollable force here, one they can't control. So they'll seek to destroy it."

Rogers said: "This country shouldn't be like this."

"No, Captain. This is how things are now - selfish, hypocritical, disgusting!" 

Even the easygoing Rogers couldn't help but curse: "Damn it!"

To be continued...

Support me on Patreon - Advanced Chapters There!

patreon.com/RedX43

15