The Aaftershocks
298 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Master, Tony Stark's AI butler J.A.R.V.I.S just took control of all the military's missiles. He seems to have done it to threaten Magneto."

Listening to the report, Andrew immediately guessed what had happened. With Tony's capabilities, directly fighting Magneto without specially designed armor was nearly impossible.

So he had hijacked the military missiles, intending to threaten Magneto into backing off. But upon arriving, Magneto had already been dealt with by Andrew.

"Queen, pay attention to how those top officials react next. With Magneto dead, it's bound to cause quite a stir."

"Understood, Master."

The next morning...

"What did you say? You were nearly killed by Magneto last night?"

Inside Helen's office, she shot up from her seat worriedly as Anna recounted the prior night's events. Anna quickly shushed her:

"Keep it down! Do you want everyone to know about this?"

Glancing at the door subconsciously, Helen lowered her voice: "Is Magneto really dead now?"

"Yes!" Anna nodded. "It should be public soon. I fell asleep in the car last night so didn't get out to confirm fully. But waking up when we stopped, I did see Magneto's body through the window. There's no mistaking it."

"Wait, you mentioned Nick Fury highly respects some soldier...what did that soldier look like?"

Anna was puzzled why Helen cared about a soldier with Fury, but described Rogers' appearance. The more Helen listened, the more shocked she became. Rising, she went to her safe and took out a top secret file.

"Look, is this the man in here?"

Anna took the file suspiciously, glancing at the photo within. "Yes, that's him!"

"Why do you have his profile? And this says...he's WWII hero Captain America?"

Helen nodded: "Seems Howard's human enhancement experiment was very successful. Not only creating America's first superhero, but granting him unmatched vitality too."

"Enough to survive frozen under a glacier for 70 years and recover upon thawing!"

Looking at the file, Anna was incredulous that someone could live frozen for 70 years. Was that still human? Though focused on psychology, she grasped basic medical knowledge.

"Now I understand why you all admire Howard so. He was truly a genius."

Helen smiled. "But I'm more interested in which superhero you called the Emperor. You should know with Magneto forcing America's top brass, no one could sanction him."

"Honestly I expected Spider-Woan or Iron Man to be my rescuer. Never imagined it would be this Emperor coming to my aid."

After confirming Anna had no other issues, Helen relaxed and chatted with her in the office. Soon a researcher knocked on the door. "Doctor, the man brought in last night is awake. Mr. Peter is already there."

Hearing the news, Anna brightened. "Let's go see!"

Inside the ward, Peter stood by the bed where the injected homeless man lay. Medical equipment monitored him, and all readings were smooth.

"He's recovered well, though still consciousness is unclear. I'd suggest waiting before asking anything." Peter took the charts from the nurse.

"Thank you, I'll wait then."

Seeing the nurse leave, Peter asked: "Dr. Helen and the others?"

"I called them already, they'll be here soon."

Right on cue, the door opened and two women entered. Helen immediately went to examine the homeless man's condition. Anna approached Peter:

"Peter, thank you for the hard work. He's recovered now?"

"Yes, but better wait before interrogating him." Anna nodded understandingly - it was great news his condition was restored. No need to rush.

After examining the man, Helen remarked with surprise: "Mr. Peter, your anti-gene work truly amazes me! To recover so quickly overnight - if you have time, I insist on discussing this further."

She had thought at best the gene cell division would be restrained. The extent of recovery was astonishing.

Peter smiled modestly: "You overpraise me, Dr. Helen. Without your equipment support, it wouldn't have gone so smoothly."

Seeing his humility, Helen nodded approvingly - he was a good student. Unfortunately, luck had not been on his side regarding partners. Otherwise, with Peter's help, she believed their experiment's success was inevitable.

Similarly, knowing Peter's history made her refrain from directly proposing cooperation, in case it touched on past wounds.

Just then, the homeless man coughed and opened his eyes, glancing around puzzledly. "Who are you all? Where am I?"

Peter nodded at Anna - with his body recovered, interrogation naturally fell to her. She approached the bed gently:

"Sir, please don't be afraid. We're from the NYPD. There's something we want to ask you about..."

NYPD Office

George sat at his desk, face haggard as he went through the piled information. Sighing deeply, he pinched his nose trying to wake himself up.

It was the first time as NYPD Chief he had felt so exhausted, with so many major cases hitting in succession. First the General's assassination. Then that morning, news of the Mutant leader's death last night.

Now George had to both find the assassin while monitoring the Brotherhood members in case they acted out in New York. Plus handling the ongoing Osborn case...just thinking about it all gave George a headache.

Knock knock. "Come in," George said weakly.

Seeing who entered perked him up immediately. "Gwen? What brings you here?"

Holding a bag, Gwen smiled. "You've been out two nights now. Mom asked me to bring food so you won't tire yourself out."

His wife and daughter's care greatly lifted George's mood. He took the thermal bag, took it out, and ate the home-cooked food.

"Is cousin Anna not at the station today?" Gwen hadn't seen Anna after entering.

Sipping coffee, George replied: "She and Peter are still at the medical building."

"Didn't she stay over at Andrew's last night?"

"Andrew moved out yesterday. Anna's living there alone now, so I don't know if she went back last night."

Hearing Andrew had changed houses, George looked clearly surprised. If he remembered right, Andrew had bought that place after moving to New York. Moving again so soon?

Seeing his expression, Gwen explained: "Andrew bought some Stark Industries stock, and made good money from it."

George nodded understandingly - no wonder, with Stark stock fluctuating heavily now. He actually regretted not buying some when it had bottomed out.

Just as father and daughter were chatting, an officer rushed in looking flustered. "Chief, something happened!"

George's expression immediately darkened. Lately, he only heard those words when something big and tricky was incoming. "Don't panic. First, tell me what happened?"

The officer handed over a document: "Reports came in of a minor earthquake in 13th Block last night."

"Earthquake?" George frowned. Would New York really have quakes, especially 13th Block?

"Investigation found surveillance footage..." The officer continued. "The Mutant Brotherhood leader appeared in 13th Block last night, targeting Miss Anna."

George slapped the desk. Even Gwen shot up: "What happened with cousin Anna?"

Seeing their strong reaction, the officer jumped in fright. He quickly clarified Anna was fine and unharmed. Hearing that, the father and daughter relaxed.

George asked again: "Then what did you mean, saying something happened?"

The officer was taken aback: "The Mutant Brotherhood leader appearing isn't an incident?"

George: "..."

Gwen: "..."

The room quieted. George suppressed his anger with difficulty. How could Magneto's appear to be news? He already knew Magneto had been killed last night!

"You go out first. Monitor recorded mutants, watch their movements closely."

"Yes sir!" Saluting, the officer immediately left.

In the office again, George felt like troubles were piling up. "Unexpectedly it was Anna Magneto who was after yesterday..."

He frowned, puzzled as to why Magneto had targeted Anna. Meanwhile, Gwen had guesses of her own. Recalling Fury's visit, saying Magneto was targeting Andrew, then Anna was attacked at Andrew's place...

Gwen naturally understood Magneto's goal had been Andrew. With Andrew moved out, Anna became the scapegoat.

"Gwen, what are you thinking about?" George waved a few times before the zoning out Gwen reacted.

"Oh! I just remembered something, gotta run Dad!" Gwen dashed out before George could say anything. Seeing her hurried state, he just smiled helplessly.

"My daughter's grown up."

Bang! Gwen suddenly burst in again, startling George. "Dad, Mom said to come home and wait for you."

George's heart warmed and he smiled. "I'll be there."

Outside the station, Gwen ran into an alley and pressed her watch. The Spider suit instantly covered her. The Red Queen's prompt sounded:

"Good morning Miss Gwen, no crimes in New York today."

Swinging towards Andrew's new place, Gwen asked: "Queen, can you track Magneto's location now?"

"No Miss Gwen." Hearing that, Gwen felt somewhat deflated. In her view, Magneto threatened Andrew's safety. She wouldn't rest until teaching him a lesson.

"Then help me pay attention. Report the instant you find Magneto's whereabouts."

"My apologies Miss Gwen, but I cannot do that either."

Gwen thought it was because Magneto hid too well, but the Red Queen's next words made her stop swinging. "Because Magneto died last night..."

"What?!"

To be continued...

9