I’m Not Interested in Money
1.8k 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"The Emperor?"

Hearing Anna's question, Gwen also looked at Andrew blankly. In her impression, Andrew was home whenever the Emperor appeared. And she would always tell Andrew about the Emperor.

To Gwen, their only connection was through her. Why was Anna asking this?

Andrew also feigned confusion, looking at Anna suspiciously: "Cousin Anna, who is this Emperor you speak of? Some new superhero?"

Since the Emperor wasn't widely known yet, Andrew pretended ignorance. This reaction also surprised Anna - she had expected denial, not such direct pretending!

Gwen realized something upon seeing Andrew's response. Gwen didn't know the Emperor, but Spider-Woman did. "Yes, Cousin Anna, who is this emperor you mentioned? Is he like Spider-Woman?"

With Anna's attention fully on Andrew, she missed Gwen's act. But now Anna was also lost for words. If Andrew just denied being the Emperor, she could still probe their relationship through loopholes in his words.

But with his outright denial, how could she proceed? Now it was Andrew and Gwen questioning her instead. Anna could only say:

"I was attacked at the apartment last night as you both know. Uncle George called me this morning. He said Magneto attacked, so they need to investigate the place as a crime scene for a few days."

"He also told Gwen about it when she went to deliver breakfast." Andrew supplemented seamlessly. Beside him, Gwen nodded: "That's right."

Seeing their coordination, Anna continued: "It was the Emperor who saved me later. Him appearing so quickly near your home, I thought you were connected to the Emperor somehow."

Anna didn't mention her real reason for suspecting Andrew. She had started investigating the Emperor and Magneto that morning. By afternoon, she had found one very suspicious point - Magneto made arrangements against Andrew before dying at the Emperor's hands.

Her honed investigative instincts sensed some special tie between Andrew and the Emperor. But without further evidence, Anna just directly asked about it. Unfortunately to no avail.

In Gwen's mind, Magneto attacked Anna for revenge over some past case, or fear of her investigative skills. "Maybe the Emperor happened to pass by. New York is a huge city after all."

Although Andrew said this, he admired internally Anna's internal investigative and reasoning abilities. Just from some small clues she had deduced a link between himself and the Emperor! She was truly world-class.

"Cousin Anna, I think you were too tired last night. Why not rest properly?" Gwen looked concerned, but actually felt a bit guilty. She worried Anna might find some small cobweb trail leading to her being Spider-Woman. That would be really problematic.

Taking Gwen's cue, Andrew said: "I agree. The past days' case and Magneto attack must have exhausted you. Better to rest and prepare before your trip to relax."

With that, Anna stood from the sofa and headed to her room: "By the way Andrew, know what I like most about your new home? The bathtub in my room - I love bathing."

Gwen also smiled: "Me too Cousin Anna! It's really nice bathing there."

"Oh really? Then you two have bathed together?" Anna asked Gwen suggestively.

Instantly Gwen's fair skin turned beet red as she shouted embarrassedly: "Absolutely...not!"

Seeing Gwen's shy reaction made Anna chuckle as she walked to her room. Andrew also laughed gently, moving to Gwen's side.

"Gwen..." Andrew's soft voice in her ear jolted Gwen alert: "Ah! W-What is it?"

"I think your cousin Anna was right." Gwen was confused: "What did she say right?"

"We should bathe together!"

"Andrew! I'm going back, it's late. If I don't go back, Mom will worry again." Blushing, the teased Gwen rushed to the small room.

Inside, she immediately switched to her Spider suit and swung away on a web strand. Andrew watched her leave, then glanced at Anna's room. "She made a good suggestion. Let's invite Gwen next time."

Swinging away, Gwen's mind was also messy, occasionally imagining Andrew's perfect exercising physique. "No no, can't take advantage of Andrew! Although..."

She reconsidered: "If Andrew creates a stronger suit next time...doesn't seem so bad..."

"That's it! Just treat it as a reward for the new suit!" Gwen reasoned, swinging home. Suddenly she sensed something, stopping atop a roof to look into the distance.

"Red Queen, is there something over there?" With her suit's enhanced vision, the Red Queen quickly scanned before replying: "Nothing Miss Gwen. Your spider sense likely reacted to subtle energy fluctuations."

"What ability fluctuations?"

"Possibly a circuit short or momentary chemical reaction. Many things really. But such subtle fluxes won't cause issues."

Gwen pondered a bit before swinging off, having confirmed nothing was wrong. The direction she had looked was Oscorp's location.

Inside Norman's Lab

Transformed into Green Goblin, Norman knelt respectfully before none other than Mephisto, holding a phantom blue stone in hand.

"Understood, Master. Using this space stone's power, take the Emperor beyond Earth. Deal with him in outer space."

Mephisto was displeased with Green Goblin's half-hearted attitude: "Oh? Is there an issue?"

"Master, even in space, I may not be his match..." Green Goblin glanced at Mephisto apprehensively. "I may still need your help then Master."

Mephisto snorted: "Obviously! If you could match him, why would I waste so much effort? You useless worm, wanting me to do it myself!"

"My apologies Master, please calm down." Seeing Green Goblin's sincerity, Mephisto didn't bother arguing further: "I won't need to act then. Whether he can survive space is the question."

Mephisto grinned sinisterly - in this universe, only some extremely mighty races and gods could survive space unaided. He was confident the Emperor was neither.

So Emperor would either die by his own hand, or succumb to space's exposure. Either way, the outcome was certain - the Emperor's downfall, to become his nourishment.

Green Goblin also glared sinisterly at the blue phantom, resentfully muttering: "Emperor! I will return all the humiliation I suffered that day!"

Sensing his hatred, Mephisto pushed the phantom stone into Green Goblin's chest where it imprinted. "Remember, the instant you meet the Emperor, take him. Don't expose this power until then, or you'll be erased if he's absent."

"I can't save you then!" Hearing the warning, Green Goblin said solemnly: "Understood Master. I swear to live up to your expectations, taking the Emperor beyond space."

Mephisto nodded, dissipating into blood-red smoke. Now alone, Green Goblin dared stand, proudly stroking the blue mark on his chest. "Emperor, I eagerly await our meeting again soon."

Recalling being sliced dozens of times by the Emperor terrified him extremely. But Mephisto's new gift had suppressed that fear temporarily. Now he even anticipated seeing the Emperor again sooner.

The Next Morning...

Andrew's House

Anna ate breakfast in a great mood. She had slept wonderfully until dawn, now enjoying the delicious breakfast. Living with Andrew was simply delightful. If not for unfinished business, she'd have stayed longer for sure.

If nothing else, Andrew's cooking itself was perfect. "Andrew, let's discuss something."

As they ate, Andrew didn't know what Anna wanted, just replying amiably: "Go ahead cousin Anna."

"When I return to New York, I'll just move in with you directly. And I won't freeload, I'll prepay rent annually."

"What do you think?" Anna looked at Andrew hopefully.

Andrew smiled: "How much does cousin Anna plan for the annual rent then?"

Anna thought for a bit before holding up a finger: "10,000 USD a year. Deal?"

"Deal!" Andrew shook her hand. For a moment, Anna felt she was the one being played by Andrew. But considering the luxurious room, delicious meals...

And Andrew's warmth right now...Anna discreetly retracted her hand, happily saying: "Then it's settled! When I'm back, come pick me up from the airport. That room's mine."

Andrew replied: "Our agreement just now didn't include pickup service."

" 10,000 USD is neither big nor small money for me. I can get the same arrangement at a nice hotel with pickup."

Andrew nodded sagely: "Fine, when I'm free I'll pick you up. If not, I'll have the Red Queen do it."

"The Red Queen can drive too?" Anna looked to the table corner where the Red Queen projected and explained: "I can directly interface with any car system, achieving unmanned driving."

The Red Queen's intelligence astonished Anna again. "Andrew, you truly won't release the Red Queen source code publicly? With an AI so intelligent, I assure you she's likely unmatched worldwide. Just sitting at home, money would constantly stream into your pockets."

To convince Anna, Andrew recalled a pretentious quote by a certain rich 'Man' in his past life. Wiping his mouth, he smiled: "Your idea's great and touching."

Anna nodded proudly. As a psychologist, she believed her grasp of human nature was accurate. Who didn't love money?

"But to be honest..."

"I'm not interested in money."

To be continued...

14