Entry 4: Adventurers
983 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I did not remember anyone of yesterday beyond the sex under of the dreamy pond in the middle of the woods with a half man half crocodile. I think my consciousness was dropped after that moment and I fell asleep on Desmond's arms, but I woke up next morning... Basically a 24 hours sleep, to 20Qo laying on the table next to my bed at the inn. I can only assumed I was carried back home by Desmond. 15Qo was my service fee, perhaps miss Botol; the innkeeper took a third of that, so I got 10, and the other 10 was from the Herbalist quest... That's all I can assumed, either way I'm... happy that I am alive, and not drowned in a random pool in the middle of nowhere, and was paid fairly, with my clothes on, too.

This life is not as bad as it seems, I suppose.

A full day of reserving energy, I feel like I could eat a horse and drink a river dry. There is a tavern across town and I felt like visiting it for a nice meal, but I need new clothes. Indeed I have been wearing this leather shirt and pants for the last 3 days. And I do not know if the last bit of money I have to my name is enough to get me changed, while I haven't even eat breakfast yet.

I asked lady Botol; the innkeeper who only charges me 2Qo per night to stay at her inn as a prostitute, how much to get another pair of clothing like I was wearing now? She looked at me up and down in a quick glance, without missing a beat she said ever so calmly.

"100Qo for both, our tailor down the road's the cheapest you'll find in the region."

Well fuck me. I paid her 6Qo for the three nights and now I got 14 left to my name, just 86 more if I want some new clothes. I decided I would buy a loaf of bread for 3Qo, still good enough to last me like a week of food if I'm careful. But definitely not to survive in the long term.

Wandering the town trying to remember where were the bakery that Hewi showed me and Desmond mentioned. I am more and more used to this feeling shoeless, pocketless and cashless. I wondered if I'm way too used to the comfort of modern life and should take on a second job, I left 10Qo back at my room and secured the door, so I only have 4 on my palm, quite literally since I have nothing to store it, not a purse, wallet or pants pocket.

Ah, the bakery is here. I just had to follow one of the puff of smoke in the sky. 

"Ah, Tanya, we were worried sick about you." An older man, who was sweating profusely turned and look at me from the shop

"Oh... Hello, why is that?" I asked, still a bit weary and tired.

To give an idea, the shop is built so that the customers don't have to enter his house, he had the side of the house popped out like a cashier counter and I can see the oven outside, baking fresh pastries with a chimney releasing all the smokes.

"We saw Desmond carrying you back to the inn yesterday, nice lad told us you fainted in the woods. Oh, wait here."

As the man wiped his hand with a towel on the counter and head inside his home, I thought about the demihuman I met and whispered, trying to answer the baker's question.

"That's true..."

He soon came back with a loaf of bread, an oval, crusty and shiny golden, pandemain bread I believe? He handed it to me and I counted out 3Qo in my palm.

"Thank you, I didn't quite catch your name." I said, smilin' slightly.

"I'm Henry, Henry Hagglesack. Oh? Don't worry, Desmond paid for it, he told me to sell you a loaf on his Qo the next time you came by. He also asked me to get you a colder one since you can't store it and risk of mold."

Between the people of this world, there are people who named Desmond and Henry, and then there's Hewi Cocksworth or Trek and Botol. I'm very confused, but these are confusing times. I took the bare bread in my hands and give it a thorough thought, why are people here so nice? I never ever felt so welcome as a random before. I do not even know the name of my old neighbors.

"Thank you, mister Hagglesack, would you know where Desmond is so I can give him a proper thank?"

"Lad left town last night, said he's traveling a bit, heading East, one of the nicest folk I've seen to be frank."

That's unfortunate, I thought. I could not properly repay any of the people that helped me. I have a chance with Hewi since he's coming back in 6 days, and who knows if I ever meet Desmond again.

Lost in my thoughts, I thanked Henry the Baker before heading out back to the inn. I did not understand what he meant by cold bread lessen the risk of it getting bad but when confronting bread it's best to ask the baker. I sat on the table, overlooking the town through the small window, that was when I sat down and wrote entry 3 while munching on the flavorless loaf, detailing my experience with Desmond in great as if reliving the moment. I ended it abruptly after he nut simply because that's when my memory dropped dark.

I thought about not having much for entry 4, so I close the notebook without a word, but then Botol; the innkeeper called out my name. Surprised I wondered, someone asked for a prostitute this early? There are two more workers in the inn that I haven't made contact with yet, so it is surprising a new face like me is called.

"An adventure team is passing through the town and they asked for entertainment, they are at the tavern right now. Can you do anything?"

Surprised, flattered and interested in the opportunity, I remembered all my skills.

"I know some songs, I can write poem and draw?"

"No one cares about poem and doodles, hun, go and sing to them. Then introduce them to stay at my inn for the night, I'll five you a fine bonus if they do."

"What should I sing?" I asked, with the realization that I have little to no knowledge of this world's entertainment industry, I do not think I could even do Rock-a-bye here.

"Honey that's the last thing I'd know to tell you."

With a baggage of thought, I bit my nails as I made my way towards the tavern, how about Auld Lang Syne the classic? Do they even understand old English? Winter by Tori Amos? No they mentioned tales from my world like Sleeping Beauty and Snow White. We'll Meet Again? That might work but I can not recall if the lyrics have any modern day mentioned, how about Gangnam Style? I don't even know Korean! Bohemian Rhapsody? Wait they mentioned guns, I could switch that to a medieval weapon like bow but... And before I could even finished deciding, I'm inside the tavern.

A packed place with all sorts of people, I remembered some random faces that I looked at yesterday, young to old, but mostly men, there is a noticeably intimidating group sitting in the middle who were talking the loudest with their weapons on the table/on their back. From very weirdly colored books, so sword and shield, unusual clothing and armor. An adventure team, with one look you'd know just cause of how weird they are to the human eyes.

"Yo, Tanya, another round."

"Coming right up."

My heart jumped when someone called out my name, but someone different answered, a random man asked for drink but the one answering was the ginger, freckled woman in her 30s who was behind the bar.

I approached the bar after the woman had delivered a round of beer to the table. With my introverted side taking over all senses of socialisation, I took a big breath, crushed under the massive weight of the room, I could not breath in the atmosphere of beer, meat and heavy chatter, this is not where I belong, not before and not now.

"Excuse me... Miss Botol sent me here."

"...?" The lady behind the counter was confused, before her eyes lit up. "Ah, Botol Edinburgh? Odd would you use her first name with Miss."

"I never learn her name."

"Now you do, I am Tanya Redhood, the owner of this establishment. I heard we share a name? Hah! Practically sisters, just do whatever you want and don't shoo away my customers."

I stared at her blankly, so... Like, I'm not getting instruction? Botol; or miss Edinburgh wanted me to suggest the adventurers back to her inn, while miss Redhood doesn't care and think I know what I'm doing.

"Sorry I'm... New about all of this. Should I just approach their table?"

Tanya Redhood went to pour some beer and shrugged.

"Give me 2Qo, I'll introduce you and you can start performing whatever you desire on the stage over there."

I squinted towards where Tanya pointed, calling it a stage is quite a stretch, just a slightly more elevated area to stand that doesn't have tables in the way. I have no other option, I am not a brave man or woman who have no shame whatsoever, so I agreed to pay her, now I have 14Qo to my name, 10 of it at home.

I asked her to hold four of my coins so that I don't have to constantly hold a fist while singing, Tanya Redhood then led me towards the "stage" where I can see the adventurers table right in front, having extremely clear view of me and vice versa.

There were three of them.

A female human with a wizard hat, having red attire from top to bottom though the hat is black, her eyes are extremely aggressive. The moment she noticed me, I can see her squinting with a slight frown, as if observing me very clearly.

A man, half man half something I do not know. They have no ears which confused me a lot so I tried not to stare, very neat slick hair, seems modern, handsome in a way? He's talkative and carried on his hip a longsword.

Then another man, purplish blue skin, dark eyes and a weird black face tattoo that went from his pointy ear towards under his eyes then down to his chin, both sides, he got a small arm length hammer on the table.

And not to mentioned a lot of other town folks in the tavern, who started to noticed me, and I'm getting more anxious as seconds passed. But the tavern owner; Tanya Redhood tapped on my shoulder and spoke up.

"Ladies and gentlemen, here I introduce a new girl to town who decided to join us this noon. Tanya! Might as well call her a Redhood am I right? Hahah. As always. Please try and keep your hands to yourself, seriously, I don't want more shit from the guards."

She left the stage, for me, a random woman who's sweating profusely, hands clasped together without being able to make eye contact with any of the hundreds that are looking at me, now that I think about it, I could have just, like, don't take up the offer Botol gave me. It's not something I have to do. And now I regret it, I then try to say something .

"Ehem..................... Hello."

"Speak up! We can't hear shit back here girl!"

I looked towards the table at the back, wishing they'd just boo me off stage, but they kept anticipating for me. Even the adventure team stopped eating to look and I don't feel like breathing at all. I covered my face which was turning red before letting out a deep breath. A breath of dancing symphony, my ears are covered in white noises as I stare into the darkness of my palm. I hear some chatter and chuckle, a conduit for my rise; I was now whispering the song I chose. 

If I could save time in a bottle

The first thing that I'd like to do...?

Is this save everyday 'til eternity passes away

Just to spend them with you.

If I could make days last forever

If words could make wishes come true

Then I'd save everyday like a treasure and then

Again... I would spend them with you...

(Time in a Bottle by Jim Croce)

The voice of this body was rather heavenly when used, with one hand on my heart and the other reaching out towards nothingness in front, I closed my eyes and let the passage of time lead its way to defeat me. I was drowned in everything but sight, I could not see the reality in front for I am trapped in the sound that I produce. Is there a meteor striking? Did someone cut my head off? Is capitalism being invented? I do not know; nor I wish to know. I was just simply alive.

...except for the memory of how

They were answered by you

There it is, the emotions, Jim Croce was a beautiful man, and the thought of endless love through the infinite amount of time and warmth strike through my heart as if I am the vampire for its wooden stake. 

I shred a tear, peaceful and serene tear, the thought of endless sunset in the vast field of green and yellow frightens me so much, that's too much joy for any man or woman to handle. I wish to be dead the moment that happens, therefore, I cried, tears went down my cheeks as the song finished.

I've looked around enough to know

That you're the one I want to go through time with.

I still closes my eyes, imagining the guitar still playing in my head; even though none is presence at the tavern, but I still am drowned in my own bubble of a word, after like ten seconds I opened my eyes to the quietness of the packed tavern.

clap... clap

"Woooo! Everyone give it up to Tanya!!!" 

Miss Redhood yelled out. Causing the place to break into a massive rumble as everyone broke into applauded, loud yelling and clapping, whistling with everyone stood up from their.

As of writing, I still remember the feeling of excitement I got. I kneel down right then and there out of stage... fright? Stage excitement? Pleasure? I don't know, but I can't stop smiling, shivers ran through my spine. After the laughter died down I could now finally stand up.

"Thank you... Thank you..." I bowed down to everyone.

Thanks to you too, Jim Croce. I'll pay for copyright use if I get reincarnated back to modern life.

I tried to turn towards the door and leave for the day, my job here is done... Wait, what was my job again?

"Girl, come here." The adventurer with blue skin and face tattoo called out to me, smirking.

Oh right, that's my job.

I looked over to Tanya, who gave me a thumbs up. So I took a deep breath and think about who I am. A prostitute, who'd do absurd stuff for money, and adventurers spend a lot, due to axiom of transitivity; it's best to sell to adventurers. And the best opportunity showed itself. So I made my way over the table.

The lady in red was still looking at me, amused in a bad way, like looking at meat. The man with no ears is back to drinking, only the man with face tattoo was invested and interested in me.

"After what I've warned you?" The lady in red spoke up, but the man didn't seems to care.

"Sit, Tanya." He commanded

The man then opened his legs out and tap on one thigh, telling me to sit on his thigh.

I have a strange feeling about this.

13