Entry 8. Tough Situation
411 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It rained for the first time since the seven days I've been dead and reborn as Tanya. It happened in noon while I was writing, it was calming and lovely, romanticish but soon droplets from the leak of the wooden roof got to the corner of my room which irritated me, and rain started pouring through my window to my diary, wetting it slightly. So I had to close the window shut tight, borrowed a rag from downstairs to soak up the leak. Still, I can just go downstairs and watch from the glass window in the lobby of the inn where Botol usually hangs out at.

I forgot to mention in the last entry, but Doid Gaylord paid me 15Qo and it's 10 after tax (1/3 for Botol) but I couldn't tell her about the Silvia one so I didn't tax myself that time... Even in medieval fantasy I'm still evading the IRS (for legal reasons that's a joke). And as per usual, I paid Botol 2Qo for the night. 

In these situations most would be confused because Doid's a rich person as well as Silvia; who paid exactly the price I asked for with no bonus, but when I give it a second thought, I think it's a respectable trait to have, paying the exact price they needed to. And if I get into the mindset that everyone will give me a bonus, I would be very disappointed, for one I am the lowest class in a functioning medieval society, I should have not hope for anything but what I deserved and asked for in the first place.

"Look who it is, the hot shot who thinks she's so high and mighty that she don't need to watch where she is."

Botol was not down at the lobby, but two women, whom I recognized as the other workers in the inn... I've seen them but we never have a word with each other, these were our first exchange.

The best part is... They are twins, both sharing the exact body language and the eye they look at me of unamusement and rather unaccepting, the two of them are named Amy and Sophia... Which to me, sounds more like princess name than anything. They both have long and smooth black hair, almost like treated with modern day products, but as far as I've learned, they cooked up some herbs in oil or something and used it for a year straight? They also got enchanting green eyes which was a fascinating combo, I can not deny that.

The two usually go together and I can not distinguish between the two. So please allow me to address them by both Amy and Sophia in one.

"I am sorry." I answered, "But did I do something?"

Amy and Sophia turned to look at at each other and giggled, before looking at me with sly eyes and tilted their head synchronizingly, a bit... creepy to say the least, but then they effortlessly took turn to say.

"Nothing." - "We are just joking." - "Miss Edinburgh told us she needs you in her room when she returned from the tavern." - "We suggest you wait there for a minute." - "Standing up" - " She don't like people sitting in her chair."

How are these two prostitutes if they are so weird, syncing speech and movement? But I've been told from Botol that these two can make bucks because they have really good experiences and I could learn from them... Perhaps I should try to have a friendlier approach to these women in the near future.

"Thank you for telling me this... My name is Tanya, I thought I would properly introduce myself... Sorry for not reaching out for the last few days."

"Hello Tanya" - "You probably won't even care about who am I and who is she." - "I think you know our names." - "Now scramble." - "Please."

Hostility, I noticed, but I don't think I can get anything from staying in this room much longer... My purpose going downstairs was to watch the rain, and as far as I know, Botol's room does have glass windows like the lobby... It was only the room for guests that have wooden planks for windows.

I entered miss Edinburgh room, which was unlocked, and looked around. It was a nice room for a lady in her 50s, certainly; a self portrait, a locked chest in the corner, a closet for clothing and a door that lead straight to a private bathroom, and a pot of flower hung by the window... Wait? It was not hung, I could not see any strings, so I came in closer and inspect it was definitely not a pot of flower hanging by the window, but rather, levitating by the window, of course... This is a magical world, and civilians can access to a thing here or there, too. As far as I'm concerned, Botol could be a powerful mage behind that nice lady attire. The flower pot was charming, blue orchids, I believed, round and attractive.

I found myself snooping around far more than I should have. I kneeled down before the chest and decided to knock my knuckles on them, a wooden echo resounded, like a thud thud.

And, as curiousity killed the cat, I made my biggest mistake.

"What are you doing in my room, Tanya!?"

Startled and clueless, but not surprised, I stood up and face Botol.

"Miss Edinburgh, I apologized for my curiousity, I was waiting for yo-"

"It's her! Miss! She stole the pendant." - "We caught her in the act!" - "Thank goodness we hurried you home!"

As I tried to explain myself, Amy and Sophia appeared right behind Botol and pointed at me, accusing me of stealing something. And at that moment, I knew I'm fucked.

"This is a misunderstanding..." I said.

"Did you, or did you not, stole my pendant, Tanya?" Botol said

"We saw her did it!" One of the twins said, then one added. "But she threatened us with her knife! The one she kept in her room!" - "But we told you anyways!"

"I want to hear it from the girl."

"I did not, miss. I was told to wait in your room by Amy and Sophia." I answered

"That's lies!" - "We never said that!" - "She's lying, the emerald pendant must be on her somewhere!"

The twins was so different, they are... Not the ones I saw them half a minute ago. They were creepy dolls, but right now they were misunderstood and poor girls who are afraid of their lives, seeking justice. And this, terrifies me, when Botol turned to look at me, her back turned against the two... I see them smile at me, and a wink from the other. Perhaps this is a punishment from a higher will.

"If you wish, please frisk me, I've been wearing this outfit (the tunic and trousers that Trek gifted) for the whole day and there is no pockets." I said.

"Tanya... I lost my pendant this morning without a trace, which I didn't want to make a fuss about, but now, you are in my room without my permission. EVERYONE, in the lobby, now! I'm going to call the mayor to do a full swept of this place."

Botol walked right out of the inn to my bewilderment, Amy and Sophia giggled at each other, then both winked at me; the one on the left winked with her left eye and vice versa. Do twins do this, normally, I wondered?

"Tanya~ You should really come to the lobby," - "And stop snooping around miss Edinburgh's room"

We sat down at the couches in lobby and waited, but then... I could not contain myself to ask them.

"Did you do it? Why would you frame me?"

"What are you talking about?" - "We are innocent." - "Or maybe because..." - "You have been taking our guests?" - "Who knows~" - "Tough times these days." - "Beg for forgiveness if you actually take her stuff."

Hearing their voices coming out from one person to the other was infuriating, to say the least. But a thought ran through my mind... The emerald pendant that Botol lost, if I were these two and I took it, then I framed someone, what would I do? On one hand, I would try and hide it outside the inn, but on the other hand... I could hide it somewhere to further incriminate the person I already framed.

The emerald pendant could be in my room right now, while I was waiting in Botol's room earlier.

"You..." I stood up, rushing upstairs, but I haven't got 3 steps in as the both of them hold my hands back.

"Where are you going, beautiful?" - "She told us to wait." - "We should listen to our orders."

"Let me go! I have to check my room before the mayor does!"

"So you could hide the evidence?" - "We won't allow that." - "Tanya~"

With words, rambles and scribbles running through my mind at the moment, I took all my might to push them, but one held onto me effortlessly, the other actually fell down, landed safely as if she controlled it; before laying still on the ground, making no effort to stand up while looking out the window.

"You lost~" - "How unfortunate..."

"I'm back." Botol opened the front door and turned to see the situation. "You!?"

"Are you okay, Sophia!"

"Ouch! Tanya!... Please don't kill us... Help us, miss!"

I'm fucked, I thought. As I saw the scene flashed before my very eyes, Botol came running in and separate me from the twins, helping the girl to stand up, and my throat was shut tight, speechless as accusations flew across the room.

"She tried to... sob... she tried to leave to her room." - "But you told us to stay so we tried to convince her!" - "But then she attacked us..."

"Tanya you..!" Botol turned to look at me.

"Oy oy what's with the commotion?"

A voice broke the tension, I turned and look at the man who just entered our inn; a man in his 30s at most, with trimmed beard and lushus green hair, a more prominent was two feline ears... Was this the same man that saw me naked yesterday when I was closing the windows, serving Tescion? We all looked over to Botol who started speaking.

"... Elu, you're going to do justice for me. I lost my emerald pendant this morning, I thought I left it somewhere but I found out that one of my girls here was snooping around my room. I demand you lead an investigation."

"Kids, this is Elu. The mayor's son, he is in charge while the old man is out of town."

The investigation was as simple and useless as expected of a 'detective' in these times, he sat in front of the three of us and ask questions... But let me be talked over by the twins when I said I didn't do it, it took some efforts for me to get my word in because I never got used to talking when someone else was. 

Sure enough, he was rushed to check my room, I was anxious when the five of us made our way upstairs. But empty, rather, when the man opened the door and found the pendant under my pillow with all my Qo.

bap

Botol's hand flew across my face, dazing me in resentment.

"I've treated you like my own, Tanya."

"I am innocent..." I plead, " I swear."

The mayor's son... whom I would like to address directly as Elu from now on, gave the pendant back to Botol, while also confiscating all my money and commented.

 "As the boring rules stated, I should lock her up until my father return and pass further judgement."

Botol and Elu exchanged eyes contact.

"Or, per my debt to you, I can turn a blind eye and be on my merry way."

"Take her." Botol said calmly.

Cue the walk of shame, I was not put in cuffs or anything, because apparently the man did not bring any. But the commotion already caught the attention of the townfolks with their heavenly skills of gossiping, so seeing a prostitute walked out right behind a person of authority was enough for them to make assumptions. I can hear everything so loudly like they wanted me to, comments about my clothes (I was wearing male attire after all), comments about my body, my face and my dignity or even the crime I've commited, some even tried to reach their hands out from the crowd to get a touch, but I can speed up or slow down my walk to avoid.

The mayor house was the one facing the square, with a noticably more refined type of wood a bit brighter than your regular oak but definitely not on the "white" spectrum. Behind the house was a trapdoor leading down to an underground cell, with 3 empty cells on the left, Elu took the keys to open the first one... I understood and went in.

"My father's should be home any minute now, I will be here."

He sat down at a table just left of the stairs leading down, just idling, while I looked around the cell... A simple place, with a simple wood frame on four legs that acted as a bed which I sat down on. I guess I will spend the night here... And without nothing to prove my innocent, I would be executed or worse; banished... That was a joke as you can see because I said being banished was worse than death which should not be the case, haha, wow I'm tasteless.

I must have waited for like five minutes, staring into the emptiness darkness of the cell, before finally curl myself into a ball and sigh loudly. What did I do to Amy and Sophia? Maybe I stole their clients... But as for Desmond, Trek, David or the Gaylords, they don't seems to be frequent customers so much so that they chose me over the two... Maybe Hewi? But I don't see the two approaching Hewi the whole time he arrived at town... Have I done something or it was just my existence that rubbed them the wrong way?

"So, you are not going to... Offer yourself to be release?"

Elu suddenly spoke up to my surprise, his feline ears' slightly twitchng when we met eyes.

"Is that common?" I asked

"Very." He answered, "Not only workers like you, but anyone who commit crimes in general, even men..."

The guy took a long pause, before shaking his head and continued.

"Did you actually stole the pendant?"

"I did not, I was framed.... Most likely by the twins." I said.

In a surprising turn of event, Elu opened the door to my cell and come in with me to sit down... Is he going to force himself onto me? I'd figure that would be a normal thing in these times, considering the social status between the mayor's son and a random prostitute who's just entered town last week.

"Hello?" I ran out of things to say.

"I trust you not to be the culprit... You don't look like the criminals I've dealt with, you can go."

"Wouldn't you get in trouble? You are responsible for holding me, after all." I asked.

"That's why I need to hold all your money... I will have to give this to my father and said it was your bail."

"... If that is the case, I appreciate your help, Elu, am I correct?"

"Yeah. And you must be the Tanya I've heard non-stop about... Can I have a kiss?"

"Sure."

I chuckled, relaxed out of my mind I sat up straight again and raised my head to put my lips onto his, locking in and trading it for my temporary freedom. I went a little deeper than I should have, we were basically on the first step of making out before I could press back, this is my first time kissing someone with a beard, and even though it's very well trimmed, still quite sharp here and there. Elu was on the, rather cuter side of the conversation, not exactly to the point of treating him like a pet, but to feel like lowering your guard around him, a green feline? Majestic.

I took my leave right as the evening fell down on Deshla. Signaling my time to return to the inn and write a good diary about today's work. But first, I ned to put something in my stomach, so I went over to Henry's bakery and...

Oh. I have no money left, literally zero.

I have elected to come back to the inn, explained to Botol that I was released, she seems like she understood what happened; perhaps guessing that I seduce the guy... Which in a way was correct, yes. And she would me on a tight leash from now on if I want to stay here any longer... The payment I got from my clients, she would double the tax now, from 1/3 to 2/3, that sounds insane but that's math. From 5/15Qo to 10/15Qo. And she would prohibit me from entering any room in the inn except the bathroom and my own.

At least... It was simple enough.

Now I will rest, good night, everyone, my ink's at half bottle already.

6