1. Betrayed
136 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Confusion overwhelmed Sullivan as the distant wails of sirens and the pulsating glow of police car lights converged around his wrecked vehicle. Two officers in their distinctive sky-blue uniforms cautiously stepped out of their patrol cars, their expressions a mix of concern and suspicion.

 

"Are you all right, sir?" one of the officers inquired.

 

Sullivan struggled to regain his focus, his mind feeling muddled and foreign as if something profound had changed, something he couldn't quite grasp.

 

"I…I think so," he replied slowly, his voice trembling. "I…I think I hit something, so I'm not sure what happened."

 

"You were in a near collision, sir," the other officer revealed, shocking Sullivan to his core. "Medical teams are on the way to assist you, but for now, allow us to help you out."

 

"Okay?" Sullivan felt uncertain about how to respond as the officers approached him, checking his body for potential injuries.

 

"Just a few minor bruises and scratches, sir," one of the officers reported with a reassuring nod. "But to ensure you're okay, would you be willing to wait for the medical team? I understand you're a busy man, Mr. Olrick, but your safety is our priority."

 

"Olrick…" The name resonated in Sullivan's mind, raising questions. Why had the police officer referred to him as Mr. Olrick? Could it have been a mistake?

 

"I'm sorry, but…did you just call me Mr. Olrick? The famous producer?" he inquired, his confusion growing.

 

"Yes, sir. I mean, one of my daughters is about to debut as an idol, and she's been hoping to work under your label," the police officer admitted with a sheepish smile. Realization crashed over Sullivan like a tidal wave, prompting him to retrieve his wallet. Inside, he found the producer's ID, along with a picture of himself, arms crossed, and surrounded by the idols Sullivan had idolized all his life.

 

"Sir, is everything okay?" the police officer asked again, as Sullivan slowly closed his wallet, his mind racing with unanswered questions.

 

"I'm…okay, I think. I don't need medical assistance," he replied with a voice that cracked, stretching his arms and wincing at the pain that shot through them. "Actually, I think I do."

 

"Of course, Mr. Olrick. They should be arriving in a few minutes. If you'd like, you can wait in one of our police cars in the meantime."

 

"N-No need. I should be fine," Sullivan attempted to assure the police officers, even as he grappled with the bewildering reality before him. Had he truly entered the body of the famous producer? His eyes roamed over his new form, feeling a profound sense of detachment. Sullivan sensed that he was trapped in a new existence, one he had never imagined.

 

Sullivan shook his head, attempting to clear the fog that had settled in his mind. He tried to focus on the potential positives of his current situation. This could be an opportunity to uncover the truth behind the scandals that had besmirched his beloved idols' names—idols to whom he had devoted countless hours and boundless affection.

 

Taking a deep breath, Sullivan centered himself in the present moment. The police officers were still inspecting the wreckage and returned with more questions, but Sullivan felt a modicum of ease and regained a semblance of control. The prospect of vindicating the idols he held dear provided a comforting spark in his heart.

 

-RING-

 

Suddenly, Sullivan heard the soft hum of a cell phone ringing, accompanied by a gentle vibration from his pocket. As the officers stepped away, Sullivan glanced at the caller ID, revealing an unfamiliar number. Dread washed over him as he answered the incoming call, opting for silence as he awaited the other person's voice.

 

"Hello?"

 

A gentle, almost angelic voice resonated from the other end of the line. Sullivan's heart skipped a beat as he immediately recognized the voice as belonging to one of his favorite idols, what he fondly referred to as the "original four."

 

"Y-Yume?"

 

"Yes, producer," the voice responded with a tinge of concern.

 

Yume Ichika, the idol renowned for composing her own songs and pursuing a solo career. She was known for her composed and dedicated personality, fiercely devoted to her craft. Yet, persistent rumors about her personal life had haunted her, especially regarding her sexual orientation. Recently, a damning article surfaced, confirming her romantic relationship with someone and her desire to live her life openly, despite the potential backlash from fans.

 

"Is everything okay?" Yume asked once more. Sullivan found himself at a crossroads. Part of him wanted to fanboy over speaking to his idol, but another part realized that he was now in the body of Yume's producer and needed to maintain that role. He cleared his throat, focusing on the situation at hand.

 

"I'm okay, Yume. Just had a minor issue on the road. Is everything alright on your end?"

 

A sigh of relief emanated from the other end of the call. "Thank goodness. Some unconfirmed reports started flooding the internet a few minutes ago about you being in an accident. Is that true?"

 

"L-Like I said, just a minor issue," Sullivan attempted to reassure Yume. "I appreciate your concern, though."

 

"That's the first time you've said that, producer." Yume's cheerful tone had the power to melt Sullivan's heart, but he knew he couldn't lose himself in the moment.

 

"I-I do that from time to time," Sullivan replied, attempting to sound somewhat distant.

 

"I think you should do it more often," Yume suggested, her tone still upbeat. "Listen, some of my fellow idols are planning a beach trip, and I was wondering if you'd let me go. You'll probably say no, but they told me to try again. They can be quite persuasive at times."

 

"I-I see. So the last time you asked for permission, I didn't allow it?" Sullivan inquired.

 

"Y-Yeah? It was just yesterday, producer. Are you alright? Are the rumors on the internet true about the car crash?"

 

"N-No, Yume. I was just erm…"

 

Sullivan grappled with his decision. On one hand, if he was going to step into the role of Yume and the other idols' producer, he needed to look and act the part. Everything was still a blur, and explaining how he had ended up in their producer's body would be impossible. Yet, on the other hand, he couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness that one of his cherished idols was being denied something as ordinary as a beach trip.

 

"Producer?" Yume's voice, now laced with deeper concern, echoed from the other end of the line. "Should I go and tell Nan-"

 

"You know what, Yume? Go ahead. Have fun with your fellow idols," Sullivan suddenly declared.

4