The Fate of a Blind Owl
66 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Owl sweats as he takes a step back from the Goblin Assassin.

'A Goblin Assassin!' Owl readies his two golden spears. 'One of the most dangerous Goblin types. They're not particularly strong, but they have adult human level intelligence. They're agile and use poison on their targets, that's what makes them on the rank of Silver and Gold rank. But what is one doing here?'

"Are you frozen in fear?" The Assassin questions. "I don't think so, one such as yourself is not easily scared." 

Owl grits his teeth as his halo shines brightly above him. "Why is a goblin assassin here, in the middle of nowhere?"

The goblin smirks. "You could say I like the Goblin Lord, but that's only part of it. My true goal is you." He takes out one of his short swords and points it at Owl.

"Me?"

"You're one, if not the last, Owlfolk to live on this rock. I've been hunting your kind for 15 years, and now I'm finally gonna end you pitiful race once and for all."

"...What?"

The Fate of a Blind Owl

Owl growls in anger. "What do you mean, hunting!"

"OH, is someone getting angry?" The Assassin laughs, as his yellow eyes glow. "When I was only a few days old, a group of Owlfolk destroyed my nest and killed nearly everyone in my family. I only managed to live because the shadows were my allies. From there, I started to hunt down Owlfolk all across this rock, and for the past few years, I haven't been able to find a single one. Until now. So from the looks of it, you are the last of your kind, and I'm excited to bring extinction to your race."

The Assassin laughs, and leans to the side as a golden spear flies past his head.

"Ohohoh, someones angry." The Assassin remarks as he looks to the furious Owl.

Owl points his remaining spear at the Assassin. "I'm going to enjoy killing you."

The Assassin gets into a battle stance. "The same can be said for you."

Owl and the Assassin stare at each other, before they lunge at together. Owl's golden spear collides with the Assassin short sword.

The two then break off and jump back. Owl then yells in anger as he lunges at the Assassin again. The Assassin parries Owl's blow and goes to stab him, but Owl grabs his arm. 

Owl then pulls the Assassin forward and headbutts him. The Assassin stumbles back as holds his head in pain, small droplets of blood fall to the ground.

'I'm not good at fighting in the open like this, but I have to fight more feral to keep him off guard.' Owl wipes some blood off his forehead.

The goes to step forward, but he suddenly feels a burning sensation in his side. Owl looks down to spot a knife in his side.

'What, how?' Owl questions, as he rips the knife out, a black liquid falls off the blade. 'Shit...'

The Assassin chuckles as he gets his barrings. "Not a smart, Owl are you? You shouldn't let your assassin get so close to you."

Owl tosses the blade to the side. He grabs a throwing knife from his armor and throws it forward, the Assassin parries it, then brings up his sword again to block another blow from Owl.

Owl brings up a foot and kicks the Assassin in the chest, sending him crashing into a tree. The Assassin grunts and coughs up a little blood as he gets up. He then smiles and jumps up into the tree canopy.

Owl's feather flaps shoot up and several pulses fly out from him. 'What? I can't hear or find him... Damn it!'

Owl cautiously turns around, as his feather flaps move up and down, separately. "You can't hide forever..." Owl turns his head where to the source of a twig snap. "I will find you, you can't hide from my hearing."

Owl puts a hand over the small wound on his side, as it starts to burn. Owl keeps moving around, silently listening for any noise.

Then some piercing the air reaches his ears and he spins around and defects a throwing knife. But then another knife lodges in his back as the Assassin lands behind him.

Owl grunts in pain as he reaches behind him and rips the knife out. "Crafty little one, aren't you?" He tosses the knife to the side.

"I know all the tricks of Owlfolk, don't think you can out smart me." The Assassin states.

The Assassin throws several more knives at Owl. Owl swiftly takes his knife off his chest and throws them, each intercepting a knife.

Owl then grabs his short sword with his left hand and blocks an attack from the Assassin, and tries to stab him with his spear. 

The Assassin grunts at the spear digs into his side, causing him to cough up some blood. The Assassin grabs the handle of the spear and pulls on it, making Owl lose his balance.

Owl lets out an alarmed hoot as he slightly trips forward, but catches himself. He brings up his sword and parries a blow from the Assassin, yet a knife flies into his stomach.

Owl nearly vomits as the goblin kicks him where the knife is, sending Owl tumbling back. Owl brings a hand up to his mouth as bile and blood enters his mouth.

Owl spits to the side and takes the knife out of his stomach. His chest heaves up and down, as he takes deep breaths.

'The poison is slowly starting to kick in.' Owl huffs. 'I need to end this, or I'll be on the ground dead.'

"Are you getting tired little Owl?" The Assassin mocks as he throws several more knives at Owl.

Owl grunts as he ducks and weaves through the knives, one nicking his right hand, making him drop his spear. He then brings up his sword and block another attack from the Assassin.

"Don't worry, all Owlfolk did put up a good fight like you, but in the end, all fell to my blade." The Assassin chuckles.

"Shut up!" Owl grabs the Assassins arm and throws him into a tree.

Owl grabs his spear off the ground and throws it at the downed Assassin, but he throws a knife, knocking it off course. The spear flies into the tree next to the Assassin's head, and he laughs.

"Just die already!" Owl ye.ls and he points his sword at the Assassin. "O Supreme Lord, give this demon your cleaning flame, for they need to learn the meaning of justice. Holy Flame!"

Golden flames spew out from Owl's sword and onto the Assassin. Flames engulf the area where the Assassin was, burning the tree all around.

Owl lets out a breath as he lowers his sword. Sweat drips from his chin. "Noe to get back to Slayer."

Owl goes to turn, but something moves through the fire. Owl barely leans back as the Assassin appears in front of him and swings his sword.

Owl slides back and huffs. The bandage around his eyes falls to the ground in two pieces, as a diagonal cut appears between his eyes. Blood starts to drip down his face.

The Assassin rolls his shoulder and pats out some small golden flames on his robe. "That was a close one, but you toke your eyes off your opponent."

Owl falls to a knee as blood drips onto the ground below him. 'I don't have the strength for this... Come on Albetti, you can do this, just keep pushing yourself!'

Owl stabs his sword into the ground and pushes himself up.

"Still going, eh?" The Assassin questions. "You're putting up more of a fight than most of the Owlfolk I fought." He lunges at Owl.

Owl grunts as he brings up his sword and blocks the attack from the Assassin. Owl then brings his his right hand and a knife goes through it, preventing it from entering his head.

Owl grabs the Assassin's hand and slams him into the ground. Owl jumps back and holds his right hand in pain as he takes the knife out.

"Shit..." Owl's veins around his hand slowly turn black.

Owl hears a rustle and he swings his sword in the direction, only to get kneed in the chin and then kicked into a tree.

Owl's back slams into the tree and he coughs up some blood and slides down the side of it. His blade falls onto the ground next to him. He slumps against the side of the tree as the Assassin approaches.

Owl's blood starts to soak into his armor and onto the ground.

Owl grunts and tries to stand up, but his legs give out as his halo fizzes away. 'I... can't... move...' Owl tries to move, but his body just won't respond.

The Assassin reaches Owl and stands over him. He aims his sword down onto Owl.

"I told you..." The Assassin takes a breath. "Owlfolk always fall to my blade."

Owl's feather flaps fall against his head as he looks down. 'This can't be the end... right?'

Owl's past starts to play through is head. His parents and their happy smiles, and their death. Him happily eating with his mother and father, then him getting tortured and losing his eyesight.  

The memories of the past few months play through his head. The fights he and his party had against the goblins, the happy moments they shared. All the good food they've eaten.

The smiles of the Sword Maiden and Elf appear into his head.

The a conversation that he and Elf had just before the battle, replays in his head.

"Vorbatmai?" Elf calls out.

"Hmm? Yes?" Owl questions.

"Y-You better live through this battle okay! If you die, I-I'll drag your soul back into your body and beat you up for dying! So you better live, okay!"

"Okay."

"And after this... You'll take me out to dinner one time!"

Owl nods. "Alright, one time."

Elf grows a large smile

A Pair of Dice are Rolled

Owl's hand falls to the side as he loses all strength. The Assassin stares down at Owl.

'I can't die here...' Owl tries to move, but nothing responds. 'Come on! Come on!' Owl sighs in his head. 'What... what can I do?

"𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖑𝖊𝖙 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖉𝖎𝖈𝖊 𝖈𝖍𝖔𝖔𝖘𝖊 𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖗 𝖋𝖆𝖙𝖊."

'The Lord?' Owl questions. 

"𝕴 𝖗𝖊𝖋𝖚𝖘𝖊 𝖙𝖔 𝖘𝖊𝖊 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖉𝖎𝖊 𝖍𝖊𝖗𝖊, 𝖑𝖎𝖙𝖙𝖑𝖊 𝕺𝖜𝖑. 𝕾𝖔 𝖉𝖔 𝖜𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖉𝖔 𝖇𝖊𝖘𝖙..."

"...Fight." Owl mutters.

The Dice Stop Mid Roll

The Assassin raises an eyebrow as Owl slowly brings up his bleeding right hand and grabs the Assassin's blade.

'O Supreme Lord, grant me thy strength you once bestowed upon me, to deal with this heavy foe.' Owl turns his head up to the Assassin. "Saint's Reckoning!"

A burning Halo appears above Owl's head, and a pair of large burning golden wings appear behind Owl. Flame-like bandage covers Owl's eyes.

"WHAT?!" The Assassin

Owl grips the blade tightly and snaps it, the Assassin drops his blade and jumps back. The Assassin pulls out a second blade, and brings it up as Owl appears in front of him.

owl brings his blade down, and easily cuts through the Assassin's second blade. Owl lands on the ground and spin kicks the Assassin in the chest.

The Assassin coughs as cracks are heard from his chest, and he roughly lands on the ground. Assassin huffs and grunts as blood pours from his mouth.

Owl calmly approaches the Assassin, Owl's golden wings shine brightly. The Assassin rolls onto his back and sits up.

"What... is this?!" The Assassin shouts in question. "How do you have miracles!"

The Assassin angrily tosses a knife at Owl, but he just catches it between his fingers before it goes into his face. Owl flips the knife around and tosses it back at the Assassin.

Assassin yells in pain as the knife lodges into his throwing hand.

"What?" Owl smirks. "Never met an Owl who follows the Lord?"

The Assassin grunts and starts to slide backwards as Owl steps closer.

"No, you're kind doesn't follow religion!" The Assassin shouts as he throws a knife with his other hand.

Owl swings his blade and parries the knife away.

"Well, guess what?" Owl reaches the Assassin and stands over him. "The Lord works in mysterious ways."

The Assassin lunges at Owl, but Owl grabs his throat. 

Owl smiles as the Assassin claws against Owl's arm. "I'm not your average Owl, I'm an adventurer with a hard working party who looks out for each other. On the side I help around my farm, or help out around my town." He starts to squeeze the Assassin's throat. "I follow the Supreme Lord, because he was the light in my dark times, he gave me miracles to fight against you monsters!"

"Please, don't kill me..." The Assassin begs. "I promise to disappear forever!"

Owl frowns. "No, you're kind is nothing but a parasite! And I'm going to cleanse the world of Goblins, and just remember, an Owlfolk is what's doing it."

Owl squeeze the Assassin's throat and a loud crack is heard, and he goes limp. Owl keeps squeezing until the dead Assassin's head pops off and blood sprays everywhere.

Owl drops the body onto the ground next to the severed head. Owl take several deep breaths and a warm feeling hits him.

Owl looks to the side and sees the morning sun rising.

"Even in the darkest of nights, the sun will always rise in the morning." Owl smiles as he turns to the sun, its light shining off the blood all over him.

Owl remains still as his halo and wings shine brightly.

"Vorbatmai!" Elf's voice rings out, yet Owl remains still. "Vorbatmai!"

Elf runs out from some trees behind Owl, and she looks around. Spotting many blood spots and burning marks around, until her eyes land on Owl.

"Vorbatmai!" Elf smiles brightly.

Owl slowly turns around and gives Elf a smile. "Hey." 

Owl's halo and wings fizzle out, and his legs give out below him. Owl falls towards the ground, but Elf catches him before he hits it.

The flames around his eyes slowly disappear as he looks up to Elf. 

"Hey you." Owl smiles as he puts a hand on Elf's cheek.

"Hey." Elf smiles down at Owl as she nuzzles into his hand.

"Did we do it?"

Elf nods. "Yeah, we did it." Elf puts Owl onto her back.

Owl hugs Elf tightly as she starts heading back to the farm. "Thank you..."

Elf chuckles. "Anytime, Vorbatmai. Anytime."

The two move through the forest in silence, the morning sun shining down onto them. Soon they reach the edge of the forest and walk onto the farm land.

"Hey it's them!" Someone shouts.

Everyone around the farm gathers and spots Elf carrying Owl towards them.

Spearman chuckles. "Finally, was wondering what was taking him so long."

Owl lets out a yawn. "I'm gonna take a nap..."

"Yeah, you do that." Elf smiles. "You deserve it."

Elf keeps walking towards everyone as they cheer, Owl's quiet snores barely heard over them.

.

.

.

The morning sun rises over the town.

Everyone that fought for the farm is gathered in the Guild. Food and drinks are places all around, but the weapons of their fallen comrades rests on the seats.

Elf puts a foot up on a table and raises her drink. "To our fallen comrades, our victory, the farm, the town, adventurers... And of course,-" She points her mug at Slayer and Owl, who are off to the side. "-Those weirdos over there who never talk about anything but goblins!"

Priestess sits between Owl and Slayer. Slayer has his left arm in a sling.

Owl has several bandages around his body. His right hand is fully bandaged and he has a new bandage around his eyes. Owl looks slightly sick as he leans back against the wall.

"Cheers!" Elf shouts.

Everyone holds up a drink. "Cheers!"

Everyone starts to eat and party. Though many of the rookies are sleeping.

"What?!" Female Knight shouts. "But it was a champion!" Female Knight is talking to Guild Girl and the Guild Manager. "Even a champion's only worth a single gold coin?!"

"Yes." Guild Girl responds. "The deal was a gold coin for each goblin, so..."

"Couldn't you add a special reward?"

"Absolutely not." The Guild Manager replies. "Rewarding gold coins to all of you is the special reward."

"Not to mention the lord that Goblin Slayer defeated, and the Assassin that Owl took down, is also only worth one gold coin."

Priestess has fallen asleep on Slayer's shoulder. Slayer puts a gold coin in Priestess' hand.

"She must be exhausted."  Cow Girl comments, and she moves some of Priestess' hair. "She's a girl, so don't make her push herself too hard."

"Yeah." Slayer responds.

"You're being nice. Did something happen?"

"No. I'm the same as usual."

"I see." Cow Girl turns to Owl. "How are you, Albetti."

"Hmm?" Owl slowly turns to her. "Tired..." He yawns.

"Then go to sleep."

Owl shakes his head. "I want to enjoy this time, it's peaceful." He smiles.

Cow Girl smiles.

The three sit in silence for a minute and listen to all the adventurers cheer among themselves.

"Thank you." Cow Girl suddenly says.

"For what?" Slayer questions.

"For saving us."

"We didn't do anything. I'm still... I'm still not completely sure... But I'm getting a clearer idea. I think I want to be an adventurer."

"I see. I'm sure you'll be able to."

"Really?" Slayer asks. 

"Yup, I'm sure." Cow Girl responds.

Owl turns to Slayer. "I'll follow you where ever you go, my friend."

"Thank you." Slayer responds.

Suddenly Priestess wakes up and she rubs her eyes. "Huh? D-Did I fall asleep?" She grows embarrassed.

Cow Girl moves past Owl and gives Priestess a side hug. "You worked so hard."

"Huh? Um... I-I'm sorry."

"I don't mind." Slayer states.

Priestess looks down to her hand and finds the gold coin.

"I'm going to thank everyone." Cow Girl informs and she stands up. She pats Priestess on the head. "Have a good time."

Cow Girl walks off.

"Um... What's this?" Priestess asks as she looks at the gold coin.

"You're the one who finished off the lord." Slayer says.

"Me?"

"Are you sure that's okay, Goblin Slayer?"

"Why not?"

"I-I mean, the money..."

"There's no problem." Slayer starts. "I paid just like we'd originally negotiated. Owl and I bought them a drink."

"Goblin Slayer... Owl...." Priestess starts.

"What?"

"Why didn't you... um... post a quest for everyone sooner? You two didn't have to go about it that way... Couldn't you have just posted a quest? Of course, if you didn't want to, that's totally fine."

"It's simple." Owl starts. "No one came when it happened to our village. The same thing might've happened this time. There were no guarantees. I had to trust in luck. That's really all. Apparently, Slayer and I are weirdos."

Priestess sighs. "That's not true. If you two asked me for help, I would be happy to! It's not just me. I think all the adventurers in this town would say the same. This time, next time, and every time after that. If you two asked for help, we'd always be there for you. So... It has nothing to do with luck..." She smiles. "-At all."

Owl smiles as rubs his right injured hand.

"Really?" Slayer asks.

"Yes." Priestess responds.

The three then sit in silence for a moment, the laughter of people echo in the hall. Owl puts a hand through his black and white hair, ruffling the tuff-like horns on his head.

Priestess looks up to Goblin Slayer, then grips the hem of her robe. "Hey, Goblin Slayer... Do you mind if I ask for a reward, too?"

"What do you want?" Slayer asks.

Priestess sighs. "Please take off your helmet."

Slayer looks down at Priestess. "Why?"

"I kept my eyes closed that other time because I was so embarrassed..."

Slayer hums, then reaches up to his helmet and starts to unstrap it. Then a second later he takes off his helmet and Priestess gasps.

Priestess states at Slayer, then smiles. "I think you look a lot cooler this way!"

"Really?" Slayer asks.

A drunk Elf looks in their direction and points at Slayer. "Hey! Orchblog took his helmet off!" She slams her hand on the table. "No fair! I'd never seen his face before, either!"

Everyone starts to make a commotion, and run over to the three sitting down.

"Oh, my goodness!" Guild Girl shouts. "This is a rare moment!" She runs over.

"Huh? Is it?" Cow Girl questions. "I guess it is. The only time he willingly takes off his helmet is when it breaks or when he sleeps."

"Ah, now this is the face of a warrior!" Lizard Priest comments.

"You have excellent features indeed, Bread-cutter." Dwarf comments.

Elf is stuck behind someone tall. "Hey! Get outta the way!"

Witch glances over. "As I... figured... He's quite... handsome... isn't he?"

"Huh..." Spearman puts a hand on his chin. "I could swear I've seen him somewhere before... Damn it! This pisses me off for some reason!"

People start to comment about Goblin Slayer.

"Hey, it's Goblin Slayer's face!"

"Bring out the betting pool!"

"Damn it! I was betting that he was a woman!"

"I totally though he was a goblin."

"Hey! Did anyone guess correctly?"

"If you did, buy us all a round!"

Owl's feather flaps move up and down. "So many people."

Suddenly the Manager walks up to the side of Owl. "Owl, I do have a package from Water Town for you." He hands Owl a large package.

Owl tilts his head in confusion. "For me?"

 Owl grabs the package and uses his sharp nails to open in. Owl reaches in and pulls out a piece of paper.

Owl turns to Priestess. "Can you read this and tell me what it's about?"

Priestess nods and grabs the paper. "Yes, Owl." She starts to read it.

Owl reaches in and pulls out a pure white cloth with a golden symbol on the front of it. The symbol is a sword with balance scales attached to it.

"This feels soft." Owl mutters as he rubs the cloth, then sets it to the side.

Owl reaches back in and pulls out a short sword. The short sword has a golden blade with a blue guard and handle. In the handle is the same golden symbol as on the cloth.

 He then pulls out a blue scabbard with golden engravings all over it.

Priestess gasps as she finishes reading the paper.

"What's it say?" Owl ask.

"T-T-T-The.... The Temple formally has given you the title of Blind Saint!" Priestess shouts, causing everyone attention to turn onto Owl and Priestess. "The Sword Maiden had a talk with the people in the temple and they agreed with the help you've given, and the talents you possess, that you should have that title! And they are also asking the guild to formally be given the rank of Gold!"

Everyone starts to cheer.

"Now the Blind Saint is a Blind Saint!"

"Heh, he deserves it after all he does for us."

"To the Blind Saint!" Someone holds up a drink.

"To the Blind Saint!" Everyone cheers.

Owl sweat drops. "This sounds like a hassle."

People continue to party and cheer on. Owl attaches the sword to his left hip and puts the cloth around his eyes.

"Though, I do like the sound of Blind Saint." Owl smiles.

A drunken High Elf plops down onto Owl's lap. "Congratulations Vorbatmai!" He wraps her arms around his neck. "You deserve this!"

"Really?" 

"Yup, you work very hard."

"I see." Owl laughs. "It's only thanks to everyone else though. I guess this is The Fate of a Blind Owl."

Everyone continues to party as Elf continues to hug Owl. They all party till evening falls and the next morning sun rises.

"An Owlfolk, the last of his kind. Given a difficult life, the gods all abandoned him except one. One that saw great potential in him. This god saw through his training and gave him greet miracles.

The Owlfolk fought for everything he believed in. Accomplished many things. The god was pleased with his success and awarded him with more miracles.

Even through difficult times, the Owl didn't stop or quiet. he continued to push on. The gods thought his fate was sealed, but the Owl... He didn't let the dice roll choose his fate. He did what he does best, Fight. And Fight he did, fight to change the horrible fate the gods gave him, and he rose to the top.

Now, even his own god, doesn't know what fate has in store for him. As he now chooses his own."

.

.

.

Owl Will Return

.

.

.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12-13-2023

3936 words

0