Chapter 64-Border of Greece
11 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As they continued their journey South, the sun began to set. Zayzal's thoughts were occupied with their new passengers. He was particularly intrigued by the dungeons they entered and the growing trend of dungeon diving.

About an hour later, they approached a small town, and Zayzal decided it would be a good place to stop for the night. They needed to regroup and plan their next move. He steered the truck off the highway and onto the quieter streets of the town, which seemed relatively untouched by the chaos that had engulfed much of the world.

They found an abandoned motel on the outskirts of the town, its parking lot empty and its sign flickering in the dying light. Zayzal parked the truck, and they all got out, stretching their legs and taking in their surroundings.

The motel was quite eerie, like something found in a horror movie, but it offered a relatively safe place to stay, something they needed. They quickly checked the rooms, finding them dusty but serviceable. Zayzal and Sera took one room, while Marcus and the newcomers took another. Meanwhile, Fenrir settled down outside their door.

Once settled, they gathered in Zayzal and Sera's room to discuss their plans and share information. Leo was a bit more relaxed now that he had time to heal and rest and started to open up about the dungeons.

"They're like nothing I've ever seen before," he began, his eyes reflecting the intensity of his experiences. "Each one is different, but they're all filled with treasures and dangers. The deeper you go, the more valuable the loot, but also the greater the risk."

Jasmine nodded in agreement, her voice soft but firm. "We've been in a few. They're not easy, but they're worth it if you can make it out alive."

Zayzal leaned forward, his curiosity piqued. Although he and Sera have been in a few as well, he wanted to know more. "And these abilities people are developing, have you seen anyone use them inside the dungeons?"

"Yes," Jasmine replied. "They seem to be enhanced within the dungeons. It's like the mana concentration is higher there."

Marcus interjected, "So, these dungeons could be a key to understanding and unlocking these talents?"

"It's possible," Zayzal mused. "If the mana density is higher, it could accelerate the awakening and development of talents."

The conversation shifted to their immediate plans. "We need to be careful," Sera said. "Especially now that we know these dungeons are attracting more people. Not all of them will have good intentions."

Zayzal nodded. "We'll stick to our plan to reach Greece."

“You coming with us, Leo?” Sera asked, but the man remained silent for a few moments.

“I’ll… tag along, for now. I’d really like to return to Spain to check on my family, but it’s already taken me so long to travel from Bulgaria to Serbia. At this rate, I’m afraid it’ll be at least another month before I can make it home.” He answered, but everyone could see the reluctance in his eyes. 

Jasmine grabbed his hand and nodded. She leaned in next to his ear and whispered, “Good choice. Those two are strong.” She said, pointing at Zayzal and Sera. 

Zayzal smiled wryly while Sera scowled but said nothing. Clearly, Jasmine was pretty shy in social situations, something none of them were.

‘Her talent must be pretty unique.’ Zayzal thought as she stared at the ethereal green orb in Jasmine’s body. His gaze shifted to Leo, and noticed that a lot of his injuries had already healed. He had a black talent, which made sense for an MMA fighter, but he doubted his vitality was so great. ‘Perhaps she has some sort of healing ability?’

His eyes widened when he came to that conclusion, but he quickly controlled himself, trying to prevent the wide grin from breaking out on his face.

‘If I’m right, I really scored big, didn’t I?’ Although he was already going to treat them nicely, he was determined to make sure nothing happened to her. 

After a few moments of silence, the group began talking again, everyone bringing up their past, what happened during the apocalypse, and things they’ve learned.

***

The next morning, they set out on the road. Since they were near the border of Serbia and Bulgaria, they were just 5-6 hours away from Greece. So, Zayzal decided that unless there was an emergency, he wouldn’t get out of the car.

The journey to the border of Greece proved more difficult than Zayzal had anticipated. As they ventured further south, the landscape around them grew increasingly wild and unpredictable, more than they faced before.

Military barricades at the border slowed their progress considerably. Soldiers scrutinized their appearances, asking them all kinds of questions like where they were going, what they were doing, why they wanted to cross the border, etc., before reluctantly letting them pass. 

Bulgaria didn’t have a problem with people entering the country. On the contrary, they welcomed it. However, they did receive a warning from one of the officers.

“Watch out for the trees.” He advised—something Zayzal took seriously.

Further along the road, they encountered random monsters that forced them to stop and take detours. A massive, serpent-like creature blocked their path at one point, causing them to backtrack and find an alternate route.

The most bizarre obstacle they faced was the moving trees. These sentient beings had long, whip-like branches that they used to lash out at passing vehicles. Zayzal had to navigate carefully, avoiding their strikes while trying not to veer off the road. 

Broken roads and collapsed bridges also added hours to their journey. They had to take long detours through rough terrain, testing the limits of the old truck and their patience.

As the sun began to set, they finally approached the northern border of Greece. However, the sight that greeted them was unexpected and unsettling. The border was eerily deserted – no military presence, no people, no cars, nothing.

“Hmm? What’s going on? Why’s nobody here?” Zayzal stepped out of the truck, his instincts telling him something was off. He activated his [Pathfinder] talent, and his eyes widened in shock. A semi-transparent barrier of mana enveloped Greece's northern border, shimmering faintly in the fading light.

With his curiosity piqued, he reached out to touch the barrier. 

“Wait! Zayzal!” Sera shouted as she jumped out of the car, but it was too late. 

The moment his fingers made contact, a horrendous headache assaulted him, and he collapsed to the ground, unconscious.

In his mind's eye, Zayzal found himself wandering through endless, dark corridors of ancient, stone-walled dungeons. The air was thick with a sense of foreboding. Minotaurs, towering above him, roamed these labyrinthine passages. Their eyes glowed with a menacing amber, and their double axes were held ready for battle. 

Then, the scene shifted dramatically. He found himself standing before the Temple of Apollo, its majestic columns that were once lost in history, now reaching toward the sky. The temple stood in its full glory, back to when it was first made. 

In a blink, it decayed into ruins, overgrown with ivy and rubble, only to be restored to its magnificence once again. This back-and-forth happened countless times before it faded out in his mind.

Suddenly, the vision took him to the slopes of Mt. Olympus. Shrouded in clouds and mystery, the mountain was alive with the raw power of the gods. Lightning bolts, charged with divine energy, struck the earth with terrifying force, leaving behind scorched and smoldering craters. The sky above was covered by thick, swirling dark clouds and bright, jagged streaks of electricity.

From there, he was swept along a yellow river. Its waters twisted and turned through a landscape that was both alien and familiar. The river seemed alive, pulsing with mana, its currents carrying ghostly whispers and translucent hands that reached up and tried to grab him.

Finally, his mind was engulfed in a cataclysmic vision. He witnessed the world in its end days – buildings crumbling to dust, cities falling into chaos and ruin. The sky was ablaze with an otherworldly fire, painting everything in shades of red and orange. Then, as quickly as the fire started, it was extinguished, leaving the world in darkness.

Back in the physical world, Sera rushed to Zayzal's side, her face etched with concern. "Zayzal!" she called out, but he was unresponsive.

Marcus and the newcomers gathered around, unsure of how to help. Fenrir whined softly, nudging Zayzal with its nose.

"Is he...?" Jasmine's voice trailed off, looking away with tears in her eyes.

"No, he's breathing. But what happened?" Marcus asked.

Sera shook her head. "I don't know. He touched the barrier, and then this..."

They waited anxiously as the minutes ticked by. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Zayzal's eyes fluttered open. He gasped for air, as if he had been submerged underwater.

"Zayzal! Are you okay? What happened?" Sera asked, helping him sit up.

Zayzal took a moment to gather his thoughts, the images from his vision still fresh in his mind. "The barrier... It's like a gatekeeper, testing those who try to enter. I saw... visions. Greece is... different."

Despite everyone’s confused looks, Zayzal steadied himself, took a deep breath, and stood up. The visions he had seen were more than just random images; they felt like a prophecy, a warning, or perhaps a guide. He knew they had to move forward. His face became somber as he glanced at his companions.

"We need to go through," Zayzal stated firmly. "Whatever is happening in Greece, it's important. These visions... they're not just random. They're a message."

Sera nodded firmly, trusting Zayzal’s judgment. "If you say so. Let's do it." 

One by one, they approached the barrier. Zayzal went first, stepping through without hesitation. This time, he felt no resistance, no onslaught of visions—just a slight tingle as he passed through.

Sera followed, her hand reaching out tentatively. The moment her fingers brushed the barrier, she winced, her eyes closing as she was bombarded with her own set of visions. She saw the same minotaurs, the shifting Temple of Apollo, the lightning at Mount Olympus, and the apocalyptic destruction. 

After what felt like hours but was only moments, she emerged on the other side, gasping for breath.

Marcus was next, his expression stoic as he braced himself. As he touched the barrier, his body tensed, and his eyes glazed over. He saw battles raging on ancient battlefields, warriors clashing under the shadow of the gods. When he finally stepped through, he was visibly shaken but remained silent.

Leo, after seeing the others, steeled himself. He took a deep breath and plunged forward. His experience was no less intense—visions of gladiatorial combats in grand arenas filled his mind, mixed with the same apocalyptic imagery. He stumbled out of the barrier, looking around bewildered.

Jasmine, trembling slightly, was the last to go through. She closed her eyes and pushed forward. Her visions were more peaceful: serene landscapes, healing springs, and temples dedicated to healing and knowledge. But they, too, were interrupted by the same chaotic and destructive scenes. When she emerged, tears streamed down her face, but she quickly wiped them away.

Together, they stood on the other side of the barrier, each processing their own experiences. The air felt different here—it felt… ancient. 

Regardless, everyone had the same look of somber intrigue as they stared silently into the Greek landscape.

2