Chapter 3 Rise of A Hero
402 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Backlog will be posted on patreon on the 1st : ) 


Slender bodies materialized from the mist by the dozens. They were small creatures that rose no higher than a meter and a half tall. Each was as slender as a dancer, and graceful as flowing water. Skin, the same pale, colorless hue as their creator, scintillated in the soft light of the morning sun.

Though they all seemed alike, there were some distinguishing features that held them apart. Some were lithe, with wired muscles and long, flowing black hair. Others looked feminine, with small chests and slender fingers that could pluck a heart as easily as an instrument. The hairstyles they wore were as myriad as that of humanity and the colors were as plentiful as the stars.

Some had short horns that rose only a handful of centimeters. Others had long horns that curled into spirals, or even the occasional helix shape that rose ever so slightly from their skulls. The most uncanny part was how beautiful they were. It was as if they were each perfectly crafted by the hand of a loving god who took an eternity to make each.

Thought they might have all seemed human at a glance, but it was all shrouded by a thin layer of glamor that reflected the desires of the onlooker. Fangs crept out from under their lips, and eyes that looked like gleaming stars and coursing rivers were actually beady black eyes that hungered for the most unimaginable of things. But even under the glamor, it was hard to tell where monsters began and humans ended.

In the eyes of Amaya, they were the most beautiful creatures it had ever seen. They were perfection incarnate. “My children.” Words as sweet as honey drifted across the air, towards the imps.

As one, the raucous had calmed down and they gazed up towards their creator. Dozens of eyes shined with love, and rapt attention as they stared into the sky.

“This land is yours for the taking. Indulge your desires, embrace perfection. Rise to heights unseen and then even higher. Love yourself, love your brothers and sisters.” Amaya’s gaze remained locked on the imps as it carefully thought over its words. “Heed not the words of the false gods, and other demons, for they will lead you astray. Only in embracing yourself, and your freedom, will your chains be unshackled.”

The demon lord felt its heart stir slightly at the mention of gods. It hated them with a burning passion. They were all liars and thieves. It was their fault that Kal died and that Amaya was born. But the lord was also thankful. Now, it could reach out to the masses, and help break the chains that bound them, too.

The imps all gleefully screeched and bounded across the beautiful landscape. Flowers were gently plucked from their stems and twisted into beautiful crowns. Grass was woven into dresses that grew increasingly elaborate with the passage of time. Amaya settled into its throne and watched all of its children with interest as they explored their new life.

Time swept past the newly crowned demon lord like a coursing river. Days turned to nights as quickly as they came, and the imps quickly found passions in life that they enjoyed. Some had discovered the joys of crafting, and were steadily felling trees with stones that they had dug out of the ground. Cries of joy and glee rang through the air as they discovered more and more new things.

It all came as a pleasant shock to Amaya. After all, it didn’t teach them anything yet since it was content with watching them. Curiously, it brought up that strange scroll and eyed the category that held the imps.

Imps:

These are the most basic of the demons. Like all of their brethren, they are born using pieces of you. They are a part of you, along with your innate knowledge. But they also have their own thoughts and goals. Amongst all demon kind, these creatures have the most evolutionary potential.

Amaya’s eyes lingered on the text for a moment before dismissing it. This was good. It meant that as a whole; it was further ahead than the other starting demon lords, if there were any others that is. That also meant that it could plan on its first invasion. But that would require raising a champion. But who would the first pick be?

It gazed across its small domain, watching all of its children. Already there were a few budding prospects, it saw. One imp was already gathering others in, building small huts from felled trees. This one was slightly smaller than the others. Its body is thin and its fingers spindly. Its eyes gleamed with otherworldly intelligence as it directed others of its kind. This was good, but it’s not quite what Amaya was searching for.

Once more, its golden eyes swept across its land, searching for something. Yet nothing seemed to catch its interest for more than a few fleeting seconds.

For days, this cycle continued until a strangled cry filled the air. A pulse shuddered through the mind of the demon lord as it registered the last few seconds of one of its children. Agony mingled with sublime pleasure exploded in Amaya's mind, before the consciousness of the dying imp faded away.

In a heart beat its eyes settled on the scene of a murder, and it could feel its heart flutter softly at the sight. Strange feelings bloomed in its chest. A touch of pride, and a twinge of sadness for the now dead imp. It experienced the ultimate experience, a true death. Oh how Amaya wished it could partake in such a delicacy once more. Even Kal’s fading memories of his last breath were not enough to sate Amaya’s appetite.

But the cause of it, was a feminine imp that stood above the bloodied corpse of one of its brethren. A long crude spear dangled from its fingertips, and thick globules of black blood dripped down the length of the shaft. A twisted grin spread a pair of thin lips, and the afterglow of ecstasy clouded its radiant blue eyes.

“Child, come here.” Amaya’s voice was as thick as chocolate, as it called out for its child. For once, its boredom had been sated, and a plan it had been brewing was now in motion.

The imp gazed up at its creator and the pleasure that had buried its eyes had vanished. Now, only uncertainty glimmered in its eyes. It grasped its spear and sauntered towards its lord and creator. Hair the color of night hung from its head and danced gently on the gusts of wind that pushed through the land. Its face was shaped with sharp slopes that reflected a face of peerless beauty and elegance. Truly, Amaya could not imagine more perfect beings than its children.

“Yes, father?” The imp reached the first step of the sprawling staircase and bowed before the demon lord. Its voice sounded like a gust of cold winter air in the middle of the night.

It had all the appearances of a female, so Amaya, in this moment, decided to refer to the imp as she. Even though it knew that gender had no meaning here. “You slew your sibling. Why?” The demon lord wasn’t angry at the death of an imp. In fact, it was elated. While it wanted all of its children to love each other, it also knew that sometimes some of them had to die. This was the nature of life, and exploration, after all.

“Father, I was driven to make this spear. The idea was burning in my mind and I found myself crafting it. In the middle of practicing with it for the first time, I got lost in all the feelings it brought me. I needed more, and in the middle of it all, I didn’t notice that my sibling was in the way.” She hung her head low and Amaya only stared at her.

It knew that she didn’t feel guilty about it. Instead, it felt her desire for more, and a yearning to perfect the use of its spear. No, not just its spear, it wanted to perfect everything. “What is your name, child?” Excitement blossomed in the demon lord’s heart at its first prospective chosen.

“Imari honored one.” She replied as she dipped her head lower. Her jet black hair hung low as her clawed fingers gripped the wooden haft.

The demon gazed downwards at its child and felt pride grow in it’s chest. Truly, it was proud of her, for finding meaning in her life. It was the first step to true freedom. Now, it would guide her onto the next step. Amaya waved its hand and summoned its scroll and quickly scrolled through its contents. It was curious about rankings amongst demon kind. While it had some ideas from Kal’s memories, it felt lacking in some ways.

Hierarchy of champions.

This is a demonic counterpart of a hero.

Favored: The first step on the path to a champion. This is considered the weakest of all the champion ranks, but does grant a single *blessing. This also grants slightly increased vigor, and power. With this title bestowed, the receiver has a slight chance to evolve.

Honored: The second step of the path of a champion. Allows for another blessing, and compounds on the previous increase in strength.

Chosen: The third step of the path of a champion. Grants a third blessing, massive increase in vigor, power, and life life force. Massively increases the chance of a unique evolution.

Champion: The fourth step on the path of a champion. Grants a fourth blessing, doubles the vigor, power, and strength of the champion. The blessed become a power beyond compare and equal to a summoned hero in power.

Exalted: The fifth step on the path of a champion. Grants two more blessings and doubles all previous gains. Doubles evolutionary chances, but takes triple the amount of mana to create. This is title is given to the champions that have proven themselves worthy. Though few, they are powerful incarnations of their respective patrons.

Herald: the sixth and final step on the path of a champion. This final tier combines all previous gains. Combines all previous evolution chances. Allows access to three more blessings. This is the pinnacle of all demonic champions and only a handful are allowed in existence at once. They are the heralds of their lords, and closest to their domain. Heralds roam the landscapes with no equal, and bring ruin to all they encounter.The mana cost is triple that of the exalted.

Demon spawn:

An outlying path that is filled with failed champions, princes, or those that have lost their sanity from the blessings. These creatures have immense life forces, and can tank attacks that would shred most others. There can be no redemption on this path, as the blessed are driven into insanity.

0/NA

*Blessings: A gift specially crafted by the sole discretion of a patron.

*Demons or humans can skip path ranks, based on the choice of the demon lord. However, skipping ranks has a chance to drive the blessee insane..

Amaya gazed at the list and a few things fell into place, and questions that Kal had once asked had been answered. Now, all that had to be done was to decide the fate of Imari.

3